1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,411 Posts
    I wish i had a youtube account with hundreds if not thousands of subscribers to help out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,481 Posts
    If 5000 likes immediately released this mod, I would make 5000 fake accounts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,203 Posts
    I'm surprised SVEN/AOM:DC doesn't have it's own thread.

Hope COF gets more likes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #244
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I'm surprised SVEN/AOM:DC doesn't have it's own thread.

Hope COF gets more likes.
    Not sure where the 1,960 people will come from though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

5. Post #245
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,622 Posts
    If 5000 likes immediately released this mod, I would make 5000 fake accounts
    I'd rather have a legitimate release instead of a rushed one because someone made fake accounts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #246
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,411 Posts
    The page is at 3100. 1900 more to go, which im pretty sure won't happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,197 Posts
    Damn this mod looks amazing for such old tech
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,752 Posts
    Imagine what they could do on Source, then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

9. Post #249
    hey
    August 2006
    5,550 Posts
    Imagine what they could do on Source, then.
    source just doesn't work well for horror games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #250
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,613 Posts
    Korsakovia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

11. Post #251
    May 2011
    2,704 Posts
    GoldSRC has this old-school flair that Source doesn't, same reason why some people think Quake is scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #252
    August 2011
    274 Posts
    *cough* Nightmare House 2 *cough* Underhell *cough*
    Damn, musta caught something the other day...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

13. Post #253
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    Except that wasn't scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #254
    April 2011
    1,386 Posts
    *cough* Nightmare House 2 *cough* Underhell *cough*
    Damn, musta caught something the other day...
    Those mods rely on cheap scares like FEAR. Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters rely on an unsettling atmosphere. The enemies are just a bonus.

Another mod in the works, Eawan, also uses atmosphere to it's advantage. There is nothing in any of the maps that will scare you or try to hurt you, but everything is just fucking creepy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #255
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    =Source engine

16. Post #256
    April 2011
    1,386 Posts
    =Source engine
    I'm well aware it's for the Source Engine. I mentioned it because it uses an unsettling atmosphere. Read the context.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #257
    October 2010
    11,792 Posts
    Those mods rely on cheap scares like FEAR.
    The original FEAR was actually pretty damn scary in my opinion, the people who made it really knew how to do horror without overused shit like screamers, they paced the game in a way that you never really expected when something would happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #258
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    The original FEAR was actually pretty damn scary in my opinion, the people who made it really knew how to do horror without overused shit like screamers, they paced the game in a way that you never really expected when something would happen
    Honestly did not find FEAR scary at all. By the midgame point I was actually getting rather annoyed by the OMFGBLARRRRGH creepy little girl pops up out of nowhere!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #259
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I still think it's a pretty cool game though. It was fun, the soundtrack was good, and it could keep a pretty tense atmosphere even when you started to predict every jump scare.

If I had a nickel for every cheap jump scare involving ladders... I'd have, like, 25 cents.

20. Post #260
    August 2011
    274 Posts
    FEAR was nothing to me, it really didn't get to me....
    but in NH2, it was much like FEAR; in the way of atmosphere and the same kind of jump scares...
    Underhell, well, the house just fucked you up in parts, it didn't need jumps, it already had the most errie atmosphere I have played in a mod.

I would go more indepth of why FEAR wasn't really scary (maybe part of it that you could get a beam weapon that turned everything into ash that was in your path) but that's not the topic on hand.

21. Post #261
    May 2011
    2,704 Posts
    I thought FEAR wasn't scary at all, in fact, I made fun of it while playing the first time.
    When you think about it, little girls are only scary when they're horribly fucked up like in The Exorcist.

The only times when I was startled (not scared, startled) in FEAR was in the hospital hallway where you walk to the end and a skeleton pops out of the river of blood and when you turn around to climb down a ladder, you see Alma (silly name BTW) standing there all of a sudden.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #262
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,197 Posts
    GoldSRC has this old-school flair that Source doesn't, same reason why some people think Quake is scary.
    I think one of the things that made AOM scary was the overall lack of lighting, ammo, and the way the flashlight worked in general.

Edited:

There's moments where you are practically running around in pitch black
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    First enemy, unloaded so much ammo everywhere. After awhile I just turned on godmode and gave up being scared shitless endlessly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Cheating really sucks the fun and challenge out of things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,791 Posts
    Korsakovia
    that mod is the worst
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,936 Posts
    that mod is the worst
    WAKE UP CHRISTOPHER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,948 Posts
    Release date is going to be interesting to see soon (hopefully soon)
    Hopefully early next year
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,203 Posts
    Not sure if this goes here but since Afraid of Monsters was made by these guys...

The guy who hosts the Sven Co-Op AOM:DC server needs a new host.

If anyone knows someone, it would be nice.

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Wasn't the server ruined by SnBP fans and Facepunchers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #270
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,203 Posts
    Wasn't the server ruined by SnBP fans and Facepunchers?
    People still played it. Coccyx is having some trouble finding a host.

As long as you didn't go spouting SnBP and Facepunch shit, you were welcomed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #271
    December 2009
    1,987 Posts
    Not sure if this goes here but since Afraid of Monsters was made by these guys...

The guy who hosts the Sven Co-Op AOM:DC server needs a new host.

If anyone knows someone, it would be nice.
    Actually, at the time I spent in the server.. people asked him if he was going to host a server for it. He said, "Most likely not." Something about the files being more complicated for Sven co-op or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

32. Post #272
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,203 Posts
    Actually, at the time I spent in the server.. people asked him if he was going to host a server for it. He said, "Most likely not." Something about the files being more complicated for Sven co-op or something.
    He tried to host it on his PC recently because of the severe lack of servers. It didn't go well. He said he'll try to get a new modem and try again, but he really shouldn't need too. The point being, he still wants to put the Sven Co-Op back up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,936 Posts
    Video cast 7
    shows off comparisons of maps that are based on real life locations
    and James moving in with Andreas

Edited:

don't forget to vote moty 2011
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/cry-of-fear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

34. Post #274
    Those mods rely on cheap scares like FEAR. Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters rely on an unsettling atmosphere. The enemies are just a bonus.

Another mod in the works, Eawan, also uses atmosphere to it's advantage. There is nothing in any of the maps that will scare you or try to hurt you, but everything is just fucking creepy.
    (I know this is a week-old post, but...) You just compared Nightmare House 2 to FEAR. Good god, man, I'd strangle you if I could.

And Afraid of Monsters relied way more on jump scares than NH2 did. NH2's best moments came in the form of environmental scares (the collapsing hallway, impossible air ducts, those damned mannequins) whereas AoM relied entirely on "OHSHIT LOOKOUT A ZOMBIE JUST BURST THROUGH THAT DOOR!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,030 Posts
    NH2's best moments came in the form of environmental scares
    Most of which were lifted wholesale from movies/other games and therefore were not scary since the punchline could be seen from a mile away.

Also, Afraid of Monsters didn't have nearly as many Chuck Norris jokes that completely destroyed the mood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,426 Posts
    The thing that scared me the most in NH2 was the shower section, because I could hear a distant splashing noise but I couldn't tell were from, so I instantly assumed it was lots of scary ass enemies rushing through some water to get to me. Turns out it was just water coming from a shower head.

Apart from that and the immediate beginning, it wasn't that scary, to be honest. It was predictable and took a lot of its concepts from other games.

Anyway, gave Cry of Fear my vote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #277
    Most of which were lifted wholesale from movies/other games and therefore were not scary since the punchline could be seen from a mile away.

Also, Afraid of Monsters didn't have nearly as many Chuck Norris jokes that completely destroyed the mood.
    Well, I can't deny that NH2's scares were a bit derivative. But I felt they were really rather masterfully executed and ended up being more than the sum of their parts. I don't know about you, but I found it rather unpredictable... aside from the mannequin sequence (which, for the record, still freaked me out), everything came as a surprise.

Plus, NH2 just had a lot of little touches that made it memorable as well. The way the automated announcements become more human as the game goes on, the random caption scares ("DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU", etc) and so on.

NH2 had a lot of truly notable, enduring segments -- I think back to my playthrough and can easily point them out. Meanwhile, all I really remember from AoM is wandering around in the dark, never being able to figure out where the fuck I'm supposed to go, and constantly having to conserve batteries for my woefully insufficient flashlight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #278
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,613 Posts
    "Best upcoming mod of 2011" makes me think the release date isn't going to be this year, folks :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #279
    June 2010
    4,393 Posts
    (I know this is a week-old post, but...) You just compared Nightmare House 2 to FEAR. Good god, man, I'd strangle you if I could.
    while playing nightmare house 2 i found several specific elements and events pulled straight from F.E.A.R. (and expansions) in succession. Creepy Ghost Girl In a Dress That Whispers Things is the biggest offender of the "shit thats been done a thousand times and is no longer acceptable" category.

and that bit with the mannequins, except for the soldier turning into one, is ripped almost directly off of Condemned: Criminal Origins, another Monolith game.

fucking strangle me, won't make the mod any scarier or original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    "Best upcoming mod of 2011" makes me think the release date isn't going to be this year, folks :(
    Just because it's "upcoming" doesn't mean it's not going to be released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)