1. Post #2281
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,805 Posts
    I got Ending 4 on my first run and I honestly thought I got     a neutral one    at best. Then I watched the other ones. Oh, lord, that must be    depressing to end the game on. The best ending is literally the only way to at least keep him from blowing his brains out   

Anyway, my thoughts?
    First of all, it's maybe the best single-player GoldSrc mod I've played. The production time and efford put into it really show, RumPel knows the engine back and forth by now. It is all the way up there with Paranoia, when it come to overhauling it. The creature design is messed up, in a good way. Garbage-bagged babies and womb-breaching knife fetuses, It's all there. The level-design is top-notch, especially the psychosis-stages. There is a shitload of backtracking for the fuses, though, but hey, if you're a modder and you model an entire part of your city, you won't just let it go to waste by not making it a reoccuring stage, so I find it justified in that way. Horror-wise, there are a lot of jump-scares, but also a fair share of stages that leave you defenseless, running for your life or simply disturbed by the setting. As far as puzzles go, they don't hinder progress too much to seem forced for the most part, but the inventory suffers from the same problems as in many silent hill, resident evil-type games. Drop a syringe to pick up a shotgun may be a valid gameplay device (health for firepower) but the logical inconcistency is often striking, especially if puzzle-based objects cause you to backtrack for that one thing you had to drop to make room.
    My only major criticism is the storyline and implementation of psychosis.    When Simon is having one of his episodes, little actually represents his subcontious, struggles or trauma. Okay, you have the settings, you re-visit places that had an impact on his life so far, some enemies represent things around him in reality and the 'I want my feet back'-bit, but most of it is just a mish-mash of scary things, like the child molester's apartment from the beginning. It has little to nothing to do with the story and we can only guess it's meaning. Was it a traumatizing event from simons past, did he witness the horrible acts in his neighborhood that scarred him? Possible, but the thing is, it is not integrated into the whole of the story, so you could replace it with anyting basically.    The boss battles are also a bit too easy and thrown together    Most bosses can be defeated by just keeping distance and hitting the weak spot, and they don't make much sense other than being specially big, strong monsters. They could have had a bit more refined attack patterns and strategies, or have some relation to the story.    But that is just nitpicking, since I had an overall enjoyable experience.
    I have yet to try coop, so I haven't seen it all as of now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2282
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    i think something's wrong guys

at first it started and it froze at "parsing server" or something, i alt-tabbed and there was a window saying Cry of Fear doesn't work with software mode and asked me if I wanted to use open GL or something.
    if i pressed yes the game would just exit and the same thing would happen if i started the game again, if i pressed no the game would continue loading and get to the main menu.

i looked at the options in the main menu and the letters were distorted so i couldn't read shit, so i just decided to start a new game.
    the cutscene began and i saw some bright red and blue bushes in the background and i don't think they were supposed to be there...

and also it had this weird black frame like this the whole time, and when the cutscene was over i started spinning around uncontrollably and really fast.

what is going on help
    Looks like the vignette shader malfunctioning.

Are your graphics drivers up-to-date, factory settings? (like, you haven't changed any quality settings in there and aren't forcing AA/AF through them?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #2283
    October 2009
    3,604 Posts
    How many jump scares are in the mod? Aside from the first, what are the others? Anybody mind pointing out their general locations? I want to be ready for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #2284
    The Revelation
    July 2011
    3,141 Posts
    How many jump scares are in the mod? Aside from the first, what are the others? Anybody mind pointing out their general locations? I want to be ready for them.
    There arent alot of jump scares. But be ready for anything, at any time, some encounters are randomized and you may find a monster behind after lets say interacting with a door.

Also gentlemen
    http://gifsound.com/?gif=http%3A%2F%...fvwrel&start=0
    The way you move is a mistery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2285
    December 2009
    1,995 Posts
    This jump scare is kind of cheap, so I'm just going to spoil it... but on the forest levels in co-op, if you got to close to a tree, some random woman would drop down screaming while being hung.

I'm guessing that's going to be in the singleplayer too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #2286
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    11,527 Posts
    i think something's wrong guys

at first it started and it froze at "parsing server" or something, i alt-tabbed and there was a window saying Cry of Fear doesn't work with software mode and asked me if I wanted to use open GL or something.
    if i pressed yes the game would just exit and the same thing would happen if i started the game again, if i pressed no the game would continue loading and get to the main menu.

i looked at the options in the main menu and the letters were distorted so i couldn't read shit, so i just decided to start a new game.
    the cutscene began and i saw some bright red and blue bushes in the background and i don't think they were supposed to be there...

and also it had this weird black frame like this the whole time, and when the cutscene was over i started spinning around uncontrollably and really fast.

what is going on help
    Half-Life is set on software mode. Open up half-life and switch to open GL and then start the mod up. Cry of Fear does not work properly on software mode OR D3D (in software mode you already see the problem and in D3D the lighting system doesn't work).
    I had the same problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #2287
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    June 2007
    1,662 Posts
    I really want to play this but the beginning freaked me out too much, I really don't like jump scares.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #2288
    I sell weed to elementary school students
    February 2009
    11,750 Posts
    actually i just used the launcher instead of the starting it through steam and it worked.
    huh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

9. Post #2289
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,521 Posts
    What is the best melee weapon? I have the knife and the nightstick, but I'm going to have to drop one of them pretty soon.

10. Post #2290
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,414 Posts
    nightstick is the shit

I used the pistol non stop over the knife untill I got the nightstick

feels so good to use it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #2291
    April 2011
    309 Posts
    Fuuuck I want to play coop, it is the only thing I haven't played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Chile Show Events

12. Post #2292
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    I tried playing the mod again and had to quit within the first 15 or so seconds because i felt terrified, I think i somehow have a phobia of this game.
    Uh if you felt terrified, big deal keep playing that's the point of the game to feel terrified.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Zing Zing x 9 (list)

13. Post #2293
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,521 Posts
    nightstick is the shit

I used the pistol non stop over the knife untill I got the nightstick

feels so good to use it
    Are there any better melee weapons later game?

14. Post #2294
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,235 Posts
    Can someone repost the filled unlockables page?

15. Post #2295
    The Revelation
    July 2011
    3,141 Posts
    Can someone repost the filled unlockables page?
       How to Get Each Ending
    Ending 1 - Run from Carcass boss, don't give gun to Doctor
    Ending 2 - Run from Carcass boss, give gun to Doctor
    Ending 3 - Kill Carcass boss, don't give gun to Doctor
    Ending 4 - Kill Carcass boss, give gun to Doctor
    Ending 5 - Unknown right now, involves the Hidden Package
    Ending 6 - Beat doctor mode
    Ending 7 - Beat co-op
    How to Get Ranks
    Grades:
    F - 2 or less points
    E - Between 2 and 7 points
    D - Between 7 and 14 points
    C - Between 14 and 21 points
    B - Between 21 and 29 points
    A - Between 29 and 35 points
    S - 35 points
    Accuracy:
    Between 30% and 40% - 1 point
    Between 40% and 50% - 2 points
    Between 50% and 60% - 3 points
    Between 60% and 70% - 4 points
    Between 70% and 80% - 5 points
    Between 80% and 90% - 6 points
    Greater than 90% - 7 points
    Time (hours):
    Between 6 and 7 - 1 point
    Between 5 and 6 - 2 points
    Between 4 and 5 - 3 points
    Between 3 and 4 - 4 points
    Between 2.5 and 3 - 5 points
    Less than 2.5 - 7 points
    Difficulties:
    Easy - 2 points
    Medium - 4 points
    Hard - 6 points
    Nightmare - 7 points
    Saves:
    Greater than 70 - 1 point
    Between 60 and 70 - 2 points
    Between 40 and 60 - 3 points
    Between 25 and 40 - 4 points
    Between 10 and 25 - 5 points
    Between 5 and 10 - 6 points
    Less than 5 - 7 points
    Syringes:
    More than 45 used - 1 point
    Between 40 and 45 - 2 points
    Between 30 and 40 - 3 points
    Between 20 and 30 - 4 points
    Between 10 and 20 - 5 points
    Between 3 and 10 - 6 points
    Less than 3 - 7 points
    How to Get Clothes
    David Leatherhoff Suit - See Ending 5 (secret ending)
    ModDB Hoodie - Inside the Apartment in Waspet Gardens (where you meet Sophie)
    Hello Kitty Suit - Use the dead cat 5 times (in vent)
    Afraid of Monsters Suit - Inside the Harbor College
    Camo Hoodie - See Ending 2 (run from Carcass boss, give gun to Doctor)
    Half-Life Creations Hoodie - Inside the main apartments
    Black Metal Suit - See Ending 7 (Beat co-op)
    Team Psykskallar Hoodie - See Ending 3 (kill Carcass boss, don't give gun to Doctor)
    Awesome Outfit - See Endings 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
    Sick Simon Suit - See Ending 4 (kill Carcass boss, give gun to Doctor)
    Twitcher Outfit - Kill a Twitcher with an Axe
    Custom Hoodie - Unlock all the clothes
    How to Get Items
    Doctor's Story - See Ending 4 (kill Carcass boss, give gun to Doctor)
    Night vision goggles - Beat the doctor mode
    How to Get Secret Weapons
    Secret Weapon - Beat any ending in nightmare mode
    Secret Weapon (FAMAS G2 with infinite ammo) - Unlock the room in heaven when delivered the package
    Secret Weapon (Camera, freezes enemies) - Beat any ending under 2.5 hours
    Secret Weapon - Get an S rank 

Tell me if something is missing.( I know is not the the page, but it helps anyway)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #2296
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,057 Posts
    I have two corrections for that list I originally posted:

If you beat Nightmare mode, you get the FAMAS G2 with infinite ammo.
    If you unlock the room in heaven, you get the Axe, a reference to the weapon from AoM.
    And this isn't a correction, but I determined that if you get an S rank, you unlock the book laser. 

Also,    unlocking the camera weapon seems to be bugged as you don't have to beat the game in under 2.5 hours to acquire it. You either unlock it from getting any ending or just Ending 4 as someone mentioned earlier.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

17. Post #2297
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,414 Posts
    So I'm all like oh hey that's nice no scares here now great

then

nope nope nope
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #2298
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,236 Posts
    -Items-

Tell me if something is missing.( I know is not the the page, but it helps anyway)
        You don't get FAMAS by delivering the package, you get the AoM:DC axe, but you don't just deliver the package. You go to the code room (where you would fight the evil David Leatherhoff) and then there's an axe there.

You get the FAMAS by beating nightmare mode.

You also get the Simon's book that shoots lasers if you get a rank S.

The black metal suit isn't obtained by beating co-op, but by getting all other hoodies. 

Damnit ninja'd

Also I can confirm that the Simon's book doesn't shoot lasers, but spouts FIRE!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #2299
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    Have to start over again after I loaded the maps when I fucked the cage bit. Goddamnit...
    Did co-op trying to avoid the inevitable of reloading a new game. Ended up being called the "Stick Brigade" and hitting all the enemies with sticks in the woods and even killing Simon by mobbing him as a wild pack of Swedish policemen armed with sticks...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

20. Post #2300
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,236 Posts
    Have to start over again after I loaded the maps when I fucked the cage bit. Goddamnit...
    Did co-op trying to avoid the inevitable of reloading a new game. Ended up being called the "Stick Brigade" and hitting all the enemies with sticks in the woods and even killing Simon by mobbing him as a wild pack of Norwegian policemen armed with sticks...
    There's a fix for the cage thing somewhere in the CoF forums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

21. Post #2301
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Norwegian policemen
    Swedish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

22. Post #2302
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,235 Posts
    I need a video of the book in action.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #2303
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,236 Posts
    I need a video of the book in action.
    I can provide one if you want.

24. Post #2304
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,235 Posts
    I can provide one if you want.
    please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2305
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,236 Posts
    Rendering then going to upload it. I think the audio will be out of sync and the frame rate isn't going to be the best.

Alright the video is uploading right now, will take 64 minutes to 112 minutes.

26. Post #2306

February 2012
    4 Posts
    what folder for half life 1 do i place cry of fear in?

27. Post #2307
    The Revelation
    July 2011
    3,141 Posts
    what folder for half life 1 do i place cry of fear in?
    The installation should be automatic, otherwhise it goes in C>Programs> Steam> Steamapps>Youraccountname>Half life>Cry of fear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

28. Post #2308

February 2012
    4 Posts
    thank you for the help i am trying it i hope it works i have waited 3 days asking people and nobody has told me what to do XD

Edited:

when i launch half life 1 where do i go to start playing cof?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #2309
    The Revelation
    July 2011
    3,141 Posts
    thank you for the help i am trying it i hope it works i have waited 3 days asking people and nobody has told me what to do XD

Edited:

when i launch half life 1 where do i go to start playing cof?
    Try to restart steam and see if there is an icon there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

30. Post #2310

February 2012
    4 Posts
    i don't see one:/

31. Post #2311
    Yoshi Member
    June 2010
    2,299 Posts
    I have a problem. Every time I go into one of the doors in the construction site tunnels (the one you unlock with a key) I get an engine error and I cant go any farther.

32. Post #2312
    October 2009
    12,690 Posts
    I have a problem. Every time I go into one of the doors in the construction site tunnels (the one you unlock with a key) I get an engine error and I cant go any farther.
    In launch options for the game put this -num_edicts 2047

you are talking about the room you go into after you burn that rope and get the item from that room right?

33. Post #2313
    Yoshi Member
    June 2010
    2,299 Posts
    In launch options for the game put this -num_edicts 2047

you are talking about the room you go into after you burn that rope and get the item from that room right?
    Thanks. Will try.

And yeah, that one.

34. Post #2314
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,236 Posts
    Here's the book in action

Video might not be that good but you should see what the book is like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

35. Post #2315
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,989 Posts
    Alright, I'm through the    subway, and now it looks like a non-linear part or something? I've gone to the park so far, but that's it.   

36. Post #2316
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,422 Posts
    Here's the book in action

Video might not be that good but you should see what the book is like.
    Uh, ugh FRENCH!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2317
    Oh no, what have I done!
    Dennab
    November 2007
    22,049 Posts
    Hey dudes, I just    returned to the apartments    and    got one of the fuses   

How do I get out? I'm stuck.

38. Post #2318
    Yoshi Member
    June 2010
    2,299 Posts
    Any tips on the    chase from the chainsaw guy?   

I have a serious fear of being chased so that doesnt help at all.

39. Post #2319
    Oh no, what have I done!
    Dennab
    November 2007
    22,049 Posts
    Any tips on the    chase from the chainsaw guy?   

I have a serious fear of being chased so that doesnt help at all.
    Walk in the first indoor area where he screams and shit, walk when going around corners and flat out sprint on long straight paths.

40. Post #2320
    October 2009
    2,334 Posts
    How do you    open the keypadded door in the asylum on coop? it's at the top of the staircase.    me and a friend have been fuckin slaving over trying to figure it out.