1. Post #281
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    I'd have to agree with Zorlok in that cathodes aren't necessary to illuminate the case, and look a bit tacky in a lot of circumstances, but the main goal behind these is to illuminate the FP logo, which they do well

2. Post #282
    Dennab
    December 2007
    57 Posts
    what brand of cathodes did you buy?

also, what kind of case is that? is it a sort of custom one? I really like white lights, so i was thinking of getting some white cathodes, i don't like red / blue / purple cathodes.

Also, suggestion, I actually REALLY like the effect of the sheet on the inside of the panel, you should consider doing that :p

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,115 Posts
    also, what kind of case is that? is it a sort of custom one? I really like white lights, so i was thinking of getting some white cathodes, i don't like red / blue / purple cathodes.
    Its called the MM pinnacle 24, it is 270 dollars for the stock case and then a fair bit more for the side window and etching

4. Post #284
    Dennab
    December 2007
    57 Posts
    Its called the MM pinnacle 24, it is 270 dollars for the stock case and then a fair bit more for the side window and etching
    holy shit

5. Post #285
    Dennab
    December 2007
    57 Posts
    i thought MM pinnacle 24 was just the name of the computer he was making, cause some people name their computers lol.

6. Post #286
    September 2007
    2,570 Posts
    i thought MM pinnacle 24 was just the name of the computer he was making, cause some people name their computers lol.
    I have named his PC 'Darkwing' after Darkwing Duck.

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,162 Posts
    When you turn it on you will get artifacts.

The good kind.

8. Post #288
    Dennab
    December 2007
    57 Posts
    fuckin loved that show

9. Post #289
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,934 Posts
    your avatar made me fuckin lol

10. Post #290
    November 2008
    245 Posts
    Awesome work on the PC dude love the custom case, i'd have to sell my car to afford something like that heh and i like my car!

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Anyone with decent eyesight in a normally lit room will be able to see what's in there. I can look over to my tower right now and see all the parts in my case perfectly fine. Besides, I'm not going to skip over a well made case just because it's got a window on the side and I don't want it to glow.
    Gaming? In the light? You're weird.

My UV lights are nice and subtle. Not tacky at all. Besides I like to show off my liquid cooling.

12. Post #292
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    14,359 Posts

Yes, quite weird because I actually want to keep my vision where it is :v

Either way I don't like glowing cases. I prefer no lights at all whether it has a side window or not.

13. Post #293
    January 2009
    3 Posts
    -thisposthasbeensnippedforundisclosedreasons-

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,656 Posts

My UV lights are nice and subtle. Not tacky at all. Besides I like to show off my liquid cooling.
    Aren't your eye's hurting after a while?
    Also, i think that if any computer should have cathodes, they should be hidden, so you can really see them, but when you turn on you still get the light and such, it would be neat. On my build i have them hiding behind the drive bays with a button so they don't need to be on all the time.

15. Post #295
    November 2007
    401 Posts
    I used to keep cathodes in my computer but they were annoying the shit out of me when watching movies etc. in the dark. I took out all my LED fans too.

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,074 Posts
    If the CCFLs get annoying when you're watching movies or something, but you like them at other times, why not just install a switch somewhere on the case so that you can turn them on and off at will?

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2006
    1,208 Posts
    do you have any idea what better things i could do with the money you're spending, jesus

18. Post #298
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    do you have any idea what better things i could do with the money you're spending, jesus
    Yeah well it's my money

19. Post #299
    July 2006
    3 Posts
    Yeah well it's my money
    Anyway what is the total amount spent so far?

20. Post #300
    He isn't going to say.

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    165 Posts
    I dare you to use peltiers in your build, apwd007.

The peltier: ice cold, low efficiency, ridiculous power consumption!

22. Post #302
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,934 Posts
    If your going to talk about how much money he's spending and just bitch about it because "OHHHHH AWWWW IF I CAN HAD TAT MONAY I WUD DU SUMTIHN BETTAR WIT IT" it's his money, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,422 Posts
    I dare you to use peltiers in your build, apwd007.

The peltier: ice cold, low efficiency, ridiculous power consumption!
    I think phase-change cooling would be even cooler, even less efficient and use more power; therefore he should use phase-change cooling if he wants to be "extreme".

24. Post #304

25. Post #305
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    14,359 Posts
    it's his money, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Exactly. I can't say I agree with spending that much on a computer, but it's not my money.

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Aren't your eye's hurting after a while?
    Also, i think that if any computer should have cathodes, they should be hidden, so you can really see them, but when you turn on you still get the light and such, it would be neat. On my build i have them hiding behind the drive bays with a button so they don't need to be on all the time.
    I'm nocturnal. I seriously can't stand an external light source when gaming, it bothers me. My bedroom light has a motion sensor so it only turns on when I stand up.

27. Post #307
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,934 Posts
    I'm nocturnal. I seriously can't stand an external light source when gaming, it bothers me. My bedroom light has a motion sensor so it only turns on when I stand up.
    Dude that's badass.

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Dude that's badass.
    Yeap and it only cost me 50$!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ESI&lpage=none

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,569 Posts
    That's what I was thinking.

Most CCT's come with a switch so you can turn them off when you need to. I do typically keep mine off.

30. Post #310
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    Still no GPUs. Scan listed the the stock lead date as today, but I've yet to hear of more stock

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    8,358 Posts
    Holy shit that's some kick ass rig, pretty sure it can most, if not all games on their highest settings with a super high resolution, probably 1920 or 2560 or something.

32. Post #312
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    Holy shit that's some kick ass rig, pretty sure it can most, if not all games on their highest settings with a super high resolution, probably 1920 or 2560 or something.
    Well it's going to be running everything at 2560x1600

33. Post #313
    July 2006
    3 Posts
    Do you have some 30" monitors then?

34. Post #314
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    One

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,422 Posts
    So how is this build going then?

Also, I know others have asked (didn't see an answer) but..why'd the thread lose it's sticky?

Oh, and the GTX 295's are back in stock. :D

36. Post #316

December 2007
    162 Posts
    oh my fking god

37. Post #317
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    So how is this build going then?

Also, I know others have asked (didn't see an answer) but..why'd the thread lose it's sticky?

Oh, and the GTX 295's are back in stock. :D
    Just checked on scan, and as the BFG ones are in stock and affordable, I've emailed scan and asked them to change my order to then, should get them tomorrow!

I don't know why the thread was unstickied, cosmic duck who stickied it originally didn't do it.

Edit:

My order has been changed, will be delivered tomorrow

38. Post #318
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    Edit:

My order has been changed, will be delivered tomorrow
    Looking forward to an update. Like refreshing the page every few seconds.

I should probably go get camping supplies...

39. Post #319
    November 2006
    491 Posts
    Wow! i want one too.

Looks so awesome and it must run so freaking cool.

40. Post #320
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2005
    634 Posts
    10/03:

Not much to update at this point, the two BFG GTX 295s will arrive tomorrow (see above posts) and the DVD Drive was delivered today. Just a plain old SATA DVD Drive, don't see the point of Blu-ray when I've got a PS3. Depending on how it looks, I may get the front powder coated at a later date.

After tomorrow, I need to place one last order with ChilledPc, for coolant, fittings & GPU water blocks. Idealy I'd like to make the order tomorrow, but I'm still waiting for the numnuts who bought my 4870X2 on eBay to leave feedback, and until he does that, PayPal won't release the money, which I need (or I wait till it's 21 days since I sold it).