1. Post #1
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    This is the official, original model from the first ever Crash Bandicoot on the PS1.

Many have said that this is impossible, however, a utility named CrashEdit had been released last year and could view the resources from the games and extract models from them (only very few I could find).

You may be thinking, why hasn't anyone tried extracting models yet?

I have found that there are no textures that are included with the model upon export, so I decided to UV Map it myself using a box mapping method with specially created snapshots of the once textured model.

Here are the results so far:

I am fully aware about how ugly the model looks so far, but as you can see I am at work with this, whenever I find spare time.

I am open to allow any one who would like to volunteer to help as I have other projects and priorities that I am busy with.

PM me if you are interested. Thankyou, coolcrash05.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    432 Posts
    Heh wow man, when i first read the title i thought you ripped it right out of the PS1 but you used crash edit instead, if you could manage to get the texture from PS1 it would probably be easier to texture crash rather then just using pictures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    I have tried every possible way of getting the original texture and it is impossible, especially as with export he loses all the UV information. So this is the best. These aren't just any pictures anyway, I captured the frames in the preview at the side, besides his back of which I had to use one in game photo to perfect.

4. Post #4
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    I might be able to get you the texture. The only part of him that is textured is his back and stomach I believe, most of it is vertex colored.

I remember I got them once using some kinda of ripping software on my computer, just let me try and find it again and I'll try sending it to you. Only problem is all the textures were combined, So I may have to crop it first.

Anyways, this simple thread made me remember it, so I signed up so I can let you know.

EDIT: Here's a picture of what I meant about his back being the only thing textured. I have textures turned off in ePSXe. Hope the image helps.

5. Post #5

August 2014
    4 Posts
    It's Looks pretty darn Good if you ask me, Even thought I have no Idea how. It's possible that you have to manually put the polygons together, Best of luck for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    So I finally downloaded the Crash 1 rom. Here's the textures I extracted from it. Since my previous post was of Crash 2/3, just deleting the whole thing out since this thread is for Crash 1. The textures were slightly different (less detailed.)

Here's a texture sheet I made for you using Crash 1 textures. I still don't know the correct vertex colors for the jeans, I thought I had them when extracting from Crash2/3, but they seemed too dull, so I now think they were part of some water texture.

Not sure what the three smaller textures are, they didn't fit into his back texture (the larger square) at all.

7. Post #7
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    So I finally downloaded the Crash 1 rom. Here's the textures I extracted from it. Since my previous post was of Crash 2/3, just deleting the whole thing out since this thread is for Crash 1. The textures were slightly different (less detailed.)

Here's a texture sheet I made for you using Crash 1 textures. I still don't know the correct vertex colors for the jeans, I thought I had them when extracting from Crash2/3, but they seemed too dull, so I now think they were part of some water texture.

Not sure what the three smaller textures are, they didn't fit into his back texture (the larger square) at all.

You have done an excellent job and are contributing greatly, thank you very much.

I cannot see any photos that you have uploaded, so if you could possibly inbox them to me or reupload them for the rest of us to see, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It is great that you have managed to get hold of the textures as like I say, I have tried many ways and failed to make sense of what I was able to see. The method being using the NEXT3D Direct X 9 plugin for ePSXe and using TexMod to see the textures.

It is interesting how his back is the only thing that is textured, but from what I saw in TexMod, it all makes sense now.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

8. Post #8
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Since I am the type of guy that's strictly for public access, I'll try finding another image hosting site. But I'll also try inboxing you if it proves faster.

9. Post #9
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    Since I am the type of guy that's strictly for public access, I'll try finding another image hosting site. But I'll also try inboxing you if it proves faster.
    Yes, I totally agree with that. I use Imgur, that's pretty decent.

10. Post #10
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Using Imgur. If it still doesn't show, try right clicking and opening image/link in new tab. I'll also supply a shot of Crash 1 with textures turned off. Perfectly shows just how solid the vertex colors are. The white polys on his body are where you need to map.

http://imgur.com/o2iOFpo

http://imgur.com/d0QFynD

11. Post #11
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    Using Imgur. If it still doesn't show, try right clicking and opening image/link in new tab. I'll also supply a shot of Crash 1 with textures turned off. Perfectly shows just how solid the vertex colors are. The white polys on his body are where you need to map.

http://imgur.com/o2iOFpo

http://imgur.com/d0QFynD
    I will give it a lookover later, thanks. I must say though, I am no expert on mapping textures but will give this a shot.

If there is anyone who would like to try too, just PM me and I shall send you the files.

12. Post #12
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    I wouldn't mind looking them over and seeing what I can do. What format is the model in? I use Blender, so if it's something I can import into there, I'll try to get some work done on it.

If I get any progress, I'll send you the results.

Edit: Now that I've thought more bout it, I am positive I can finish the texture work for you. Also, if you have any other models you can rip from the Crash games, I'll see if I can get their textures. Might be able to give you enough content to post one of those lovely Release threads.

13. Post #13
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    I wouldn't mind looking them over and seeing what I can do. What format is the model in? I use Blender, so if it's something I can import into there, I'll try to get some work done on it.

If I get any progress, I'll send you the results.

Edit: Now that I've thought more bout it, I am positive I can finish the texture work for you. Also, if you have any other models you can rip from the Crash games, I'll see if I can get their textures. Might be able to give you enough content to post one of those lovely Release threads.
    That sounds like a good idea. I will inbox you the link.

14. Post #14
    August 2014
    71 Posts

Just finished. The shoelaces gave me the toughest time, so I apologize for any ugliness around that area. Uses correct vertex colors and textures (all baked into one image.) Aside from the jaggedness of the shoelaces I feel pretty proud. I feel I've gained some needed experience with this. Who knows, I may end up working on it some more. But for now, hope you enjoy the result.

It'd look more accurate with PS1 resolution and lighting.

(Going to update the link soon with the new model.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2011
    129 Posts

Just finished. The shoelaces gave me the toughest time, so I apologize for any ugliness around that area. Uses correct vertex colors and textures (all baked into one image.) Aside from the jaggedness of the shoelaces I feel pretty proud. I feel I've gained some needed experience with this. Who knows, I may end up working on it some more. But for now, hope you enjoy the result.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dt...2j30/Crash.zip

It'd look more accurate with PS1 resolution and lighting.
    This is absolutely fantastic, I am not bothered about his shoelaces too much anyway. You have done a great job. If I get round to rigging him, you shall be credited.

I shall get on to finding more characters soon.

Edited:

Papu Papu anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    August 2014
    49 Posts
    wow, thank you for porting me here. thats just what i was looking for
    im interested, all of above posts are done in a day
    i dont know why : / but i think Bandicoot models are more lovely' maybe because of cool vertex colors which was forbidden in CTR.

thank you guys for developing this thread,Crash ps1 series are more memorable for peoples who realy love Crash.
    there was a Big miss about ps1 models which i hope this thread will be fill that,
    im here to help ; )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    I have just extracted all the bosses and extra characters like Tawna and Aku Aku.

I have included them all inside this zip file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s9...acters+WIP.zip

If V7CaseyRoo could possibly do the honors with the texturing, we could be on to releasing a pack of Crash Bandicoot models soon ;)

Edited:

wow, thank you for porting me here. thats just what i was looking for
    im interested, all of above posts are done in a day
    i dont know why : / but i think Bandicoot models are more lovely' maybe because of cool vertex colors which was forbidden in CTR.

thank you guys for developing this thread,Crash ps1 series are more memorable for peoples who realy love Crash.
    there was a Big miss about ps1 models which i hope this thread will be fill that,
    im here to help ; )
    Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to see that our work pays off for other Crash Bandicoot fans. :D

Also, feel free to have a crack at what I have uploaded so far of the rest of the characters if you like :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2014
    49 Posts
    I have just extracted all the bosses and extra characters like Tawna and Aku Aku.

If V7CaseyRoo could possibly do the honors with the texturing, we could be on to releasing a pack of Crash Bandicoot models soon ;)
    greeting
    at last they are available! its hard to believing
    in the past i spent much time for this job but i was unlucky
    im thinking about rigging and animating them
    but they are hardly lowpolygon and some of them was updated in bandicoot 2 and 3
    there is also some relative models e.g crash spining model (im not sure its also a model or just some particles in crash bandicoot 1)
    this pack will be greate if you attach some of enemies and animals like the Hog
    and , may i link the crates to you for attaching them too, they are just textures mapped on simple boxes

19. Post #19
    August 2014
    71 Posts

Edited:

Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to see that our work pays off for other Crash Bandicoot fans. :D

Also, feel free to have a crack at what I have uploaded so far of the rest of the characters if you like :)
    I'm definitely on board to help out. I'll go ahead and download them and see what I can do. If it's a model pack to be planned, I'll most likely share the progress images and just PM you the results so you can get the pack organized.

*Glad you liked the Crash model.

20. Post #20
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    I'm definitely on board to help out. I'll go ahead and download them and see what I can do. If it's a model pack to be planned, I'll most likely share the progress images and just PM you the results so you can get the pack organized.

*Glad you liked the Crash model.
    Sounds great, thanks for making this possible for me.

Edited:

greeting
    at last they are available! its hard to believing
    in the past i spent much time for this job but i was unlucky
    im thinking about rigging and animating them
    but they are hardly lowpolygon and some of them was updated in bandicoot 2 and 3
    there is also some relative models e.g crash spining model (im not sure its also a model or just some particles in crash bandicoot 1)
    this pack will be greate if you attach some of enemies and animals like the Hog
    and , may i link the crates to you for attaching them too, they are just textures mapped on simple boxes
    I have the textures for the boxes as Friedslick6 ported them some time ago.
    http://www.textures-resource.com/res...ets/3/2960.png

As for the Crash spinning model, I have seen that and can extract it, as it is a model from what it looks like.

As for the enemies and Hog, I have seen a good few enemies such as the turtles and spiders and such. I haven't looked all the way through yet, but I am sure I will find the hog somewhere too.

I believe rigging and animating the models is a great idea too, however I cannot export any models from Crash 2 or 3 yet except for parts of levels (pretty useless atm). I do hope that the creator of CrashEdit will be able to update the utility eventually.

21. Post #21
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Playing through the bosses without textures to see what's vertex colored and what's not. Looks like Papu is nothing but vertex colors. He should be easy. Time to warm up some spicy ramen, sit back, and start assigning colors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    Playing through the bosses without textures to see what's vertex colored and what's not. Looks like Papu is nothing but vertex colors. He should be easy. Time to warm up some spicy ramen, sit back, and start assigning colors.
    Oh yeah, sorry bout that, I was going to upload the photos of the characters of what is not vertex coloured. As you can see in the pictures I did upload (got lazy and didn't finish) if you see any grey, that's where the texture needs to be.

I suppose it is fun to play through the bosses though. Are you using the the ULTIMATE Cheat Pass Code to view all levels? I certainly would as that game is difficult hahaha. Enjoy your spicy ramen :D

23. Post #23
    August 2014
    49 Posts
    as i check, there is just One 'N' logo and some eye textures for cortex ,brio ,koala kong and ripperroo
    other bosses are fully vertex colored

Edit :

brio:cortex:koala:ripperroo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    November 2011
    129 Posts
    When a few more are done, I might look into enhancing the models a little more, like smoothing them out and creating HD Textures using v7CaseyRoo's excellent UV Mapping :D

Edited:

as i check, there is just One 'N' logo and some eye textures for cortex ,brio ,koala kong and ripperroo
    other bosses are fully vertex colored

Edit :

brio:cortex:koala:ripperroo:
    Nice work ripperroo!

God I sound like Cortex saying that hahaha!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    That was Roo's eye texture? I seen it when ripping, but it looked like a random environment texture (Edit, Silly me. I was thinking of Ripper Roo's normal eyes in Crash 2. Forgot about his demented eyes in this game.). Thanks for posting those textures.

Update: After debating which to start first, I finally started coloring Cortex since I just ripped his textures a few minutes ago.

26. Post #26
    August 2014
    49 Posts
    That was Roo's eye texture? I seen it when ripping, but it looked like a random environment texture (Edit, Silly me. I was thinking of Ripper Roo's normal eyes in Crash 2. Forgot about his demented eyes in this game.). Thanks for posting those textures.
    ripper roo in crash 2 has an abnormal appearance ! normal eyes, blonde hair , just like a magician
    when i was testing this eyes i found that im already done with his head,

may i do this and then send you a blender file to final fix?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2013
    287 Posts
    Nice job on the models, Awesome work!

I can also have a go at some of these, as i have the ability to get the textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    ripper roo in crash 2 has an abnormal appearance ! normal eyes, blonde hair , just like a magician
    when i was testing this eyes i found that im already done with his head,

may i do this and then send you a blender file to final fix?
    Sounds good. Did you color in his head like in the game, or is that textures I'm seeing there?

29. Post #29
    August 2014
    49 Posts
    Sounds good. Did you color in his head like in the game, or is that textures I'm seeing there?
    yep
    thats a color palette texture which is combined with the eye texture

Edited:

iam done,please take a look and fix if needed ;>
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/1h...er_roo_wip.zip
    result: (back face culling was enabled in that view port)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    I'll try to take a look at it in a sec (may take a while, internet's bandwidth is slowed down temporarily). Looks spot on judging from the pic.

Also, I think you may be using better ripping software than me. I'm mainly using GLExtractor, and I can't seem to find that texture palette.

Edit: Got it to load. Can already tell that you got it perfectly done. No fixing needed. And Roo's my favorite Crash character, so kudos to the power of 100 times 3 plus 5.

31. Post #31
    January 2013
    287 Posts
    Just curious, what software are you guys using to get the textures from Crash 1?

Also nice work on Ripper Roo btw.

32. Post #32
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Currently mapping Aku, but I'm missing his feathers and goatee.

*And YouMadBrah, take a look at my post above you to see the name of the software I'm mostly using for textures. Although I feel RipperRoo may be using a better one than me.

33. Post #33
    January 2013
    287 Posts
    Currently mapping Aku, but I'm missing his feathers and goatee.

*And YouMadBrah, take a look at my post above you to see the name of the software I'm mostly using for textures. Although I feel RipperRoo may be using a better one than me.
    Hey man, i saw your previous post just as i posted mine. Tried searching for the software but couldn't find it. :/ Would you be able to provide a link? Would massively appreciate it.

34. Post #34
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Yeah let me look for it in a sec. It's somewhere in my browsing history.

It may take a while to get used to it. When it rips textures, they're all grouped together in bout 3 or 4 different texture sheets. So I have to crop them out, and it also seems to occasionally miss a texture.

It also can captures model, but ripping models from the PSX is next to impossible due to the lack of a z-buffer. So all the PS1 models come out flat.

Found the link: http://members.chello.at/alexan/downloads.htm

Update: Here's my progress on coloring Cortex. Still gotta get his textures better mapped so they're less distorted.

35. Post #35
    January 2013
    287 Posts
    Yeah let me look for it in a sec. It's somewhere in my browsing history.

It may take a while to get used to it. When it rips textures, they're all grouped together in bout 3 or 4 different texture sheets. So I have to crop them out, and it also seems to occasionally miss a texture.

It also can captures model, but ripping models from the PSX is next to impossible due to the lack of a z-buffer. So all the PS1 models come out flat.

Found the link: http://members.chello.at/alexan/downloads.htm
    Thanks man, appreciate it!

Does it come with a Readme saying how it works?

36. Post #36
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Errr, I don't think. I never really look for those, I just grab random software, and do the trail and error method.

The basic rundown is you link it to you emulation software, make sure your emulation software is using openGL, and the default capture method is "ctrl-shift-F." The files are then saved to your Documents folder. Or at least, that's how it is on my computer.

37. Post #37
    January 2013
    287 Posts
    Errr, I don't think. I never really look for those, I just grab random software, and do the trail and error method.

The basic rundown is you link it to you emulation software, make sure your emulation software is using openGL, and the default capture method is "ctrl-shift-F." The files are then saved to your Documents folder. Or at least, that's how it is on my computer.
    ahh k, thanks man.

38. Post #38
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Just another update, I moved Cortex's gun and his umm, his "floaty jetboard thing that brings all the ladies to the yard" to another layer. Makes it easier to color him. When I finish coloring him, I'll move to getting his accessories done.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    432 Posts
    Wow an OpenGl extractor? i know you said the models come out flat but is there a way to scale them to appropriate sizes?

40. Post #40
    August 2014
    71 Posts
    Sorry, I don't think that's possible. Not only do they become flat, each and every polygon becomes it's own separate object. Doesn't even matter if you use OpenGl or Direct3D, you get the same results.

But hey, I always keep my ears up. If I hear of anyway to get the models ripped properly, I'll definitely be posting and releasing stuff on here. I have some PS1 games that I want to study when it comes to their models, lighting, and vertex colors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)