1. Post #1
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Latest progress:

Hi guys!

I've been having loads of fun playing Rust with 3 of ma buddies.
    It's like being a kid again and playing on the playground with our makeshift weapons.

I've been working in the games industry for the past two and half years. I got my folio in here > http://www.edgesize.com

My interest and passion for gaming intensified when I tried this game. So much so, that I felt inspired to share some of the ideas I've been having
    when I play Rust.

It's amazing how much fun I've been having with a game in a alpha state. Makes me wonder for the final version.
    It's gonna be epic.

Having in mind the whole world of Rust and where things fit together, I will try to put in this thread some ideas/concepts/models of things that
    could be in the game.

First up, a makeshift shotgun weapon.

The hammer is missing from the concept, but I will update it when I post the blockout soon with the mechanism all functioning.
    But the idea is that you open the latch on the left side, the gun hinges to the right, (where the hinge is) and you load a shotgun shell.
    Then you close the weapon and fire that bad boy up!
    This is just a concept BTW, I will update the post with the model updates :)

Thanks for taking the time to read. And if you have any feedback don't be shy to post it!

-------

Update 16/06/2014

Hey all,

So, I made a blockout and worked out how all the parts are supposed to work. This is how it is looking atm.
    This is just a screenshot from inside 3dsmax. Don't mind the colors and stuff, it's just so I visualize better the proportions and stuff while working on it.

This is how I imagine the fire/reload animation to happen.

------

Update: 19/06/2014

Hey guys!
    Here I am again! I managed to make the hipoly of the weapon and did a quick zbrush pass to add some dents and scrapes.

So the plan now is to make the ingame model, make the UV map for it and then go back to the sculpt and finish adding the details before baking.

I'll keep you guys posted!!

Thanks for taking the time to visit this thread!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2014
    418 Posts
    That's a really, really cool idea and model. I'm not sure where it would fit into Rust, though -- the pipe-shotgun fits into the niche that this would seem to fill.

Still, I'd love to see your other work. This piece is great, and I'm sure you can come up with lots of other badass stuff.

:D

Edited:

Actually, the Cogaxe in your portfolio would work great -- same harvesting power as the hatchet, but higher damage vs. players. Of course that flamethrower would be badass too. Clever stuff, very Rust-like.

3. Post #3
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Thanks!
    You're my first reply to my thread yay!

So, basically this isn't really the model, it's just a paintover to a quick blockout I did.
    I will update the first post with the blockout done so you guys can have a more clear idea of the direction of the weapon.

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

February 2014
    232 Posts
    Very sexy lady imo! Simple & elegant. Do you do requests?

5. Post #5
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,411 Posts
    I don't like it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    September 2011
    233 Posts
    I like it, but one thing doesn't really make sense, the screws. In the way you made them, the tips of the screws would be rammed up against each other, or bent in the wood. I do like the look of it though, but I think it'd be better for a pistol then a shotgun.

7. Post #7

May 2014
    4 Posts
    I don't like it!
    Always good to have constructive criticism.

8. Post #8
    rbZero says I'm the Troll King
    April 2014
    943 Posts
    you do good work:)

a few things, slightly off topic of the thread, but in topic of your work; the flamethrower has no ignition source, so it would basically just spray out fuel at people. otherwise, really well polished design.

the shotgun is a cool idea, and potentially fits in with rust...but its not quite "industrial" enough. a lot of rust gear is either rocks strapped to things, or rusty found boiler plate/pipes made into a weopon:)

9. Post #9
    February 2014
    418 Posts
    Would be cool if this shot stones. :D

10. Post #10
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Upated first post!

Edited:

Would be cool if this shot stones. :D
    It's a good idea! If we have homemade shells, and replace the pellets or slugs with rocks, it works!

Edited:

you do good work:)

a few things, slightly off topic of the thread, but in topic of your work; the flamethrower has no ignition source, so it would basically just spray out fuel at people. otherwise, really well polished design.

the shotgun is a cool idea, and potentially fits in with rust...but its not quite "industrial" enough. a lot of rust gear is either rocks strapped to things, or rusty found boiler plate/pipes made into a weopon:)
    Thanks!
    Hopefully when I come to make the textures for this bad boy it will have the rust flavour to it!
    I'll sculpt some bits to get some dents and scrapes on the wood/metals

11. Post #11
    July 2011
    98 Posts
    Very nice! It is always good to see someone submitting models to the thread.

Myself and a few others have submitted ideas in the thread below. You are welcome to join in if you like!

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1354611

12. Post #12
    February 2014
    418 Posts
    New details are clever. Something like this would likely work in the real world. :D

13. Post #13
    September 2011
    233 Posts
    Very cool. Thanks for fixing the screws! I also like the new spring part, very original.

14. Post #14
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    New details are clever. Something like this would likely work in the real world. :D
    Thanks!
    Hopefully the NSA won't bust my flat saying I'm releasing weapon plans online! ahaha

Edited:

Very cool. Thanks for fixing the screws! I also like the new spring part, very original.
    Thanks a lot mate!
    Glad you like it!

Edited:

Very nice! It is always good to see someone submitting models to the thread.

Myself and a few others have submitted ideas in the thread below. You are welcome to join in if you like!

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1354611
    Thanks a lot dude!
    I might join after I finish this model :)

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Hey guys,
    I updated the first post the other day. Not sure if people noticed.

How do you guys usually update posts here? put new stuff on the first post or just post a regular reply to the thread?

Also, i won't be able to update the thread with pics of the shotgun this upcoming week because i took a week off to go back home and visit my parents and gf.

But I already have some cool ideas for some new models. So that's cool :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    April 2014
    943 Posts
    How do you guys usually update posts here? put new stuff on the first post or just post a regular reply to the thread?
    not sure how other people do it, but i would make a new post in the thread each time:)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17

January 2014
    48 Posts
    Omg they look awesome!
    These military textures at rust are boring.
    I would like to see your textures at the game. Are you going to make this art repository for ALL the military weapons at rust? ;o
    Pedro amorim.......... Brazilian?

18. Post #18
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Omg they look awesome!
    These military textures at rust are boring.
    I would like to see your textures at the game. Are you going to make this art repository for ALL the military weapons at rust? ;o
    Pedro amorim.......... Brazilian?
    Thanks lluckymou!

Glad you like it!

Not brazilian, portuguese :)

I plan on making some cool concepts/weapons for rust. Doesn't necessarily mean it will all be weapons, but rather things I think would be cool to have in the game, basically first person assets.

I have some cool ideas for future models. They gonna be coooolL!!!

19. Post #19
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Hey guys!

I'm back! Had a lovely time with my family! Got back to the UK around 4am today :)

Back to this lovely shoty!

Working on the lowpoly atm! The red bits are the ones that I still need to "lowpolify" :D
    Need to see if i can make the helix look good but be simple as well :)

Hope to get this tomorrow so I can start uvs and then bakes.

arrrrhhh I need more time in the day!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20

June 2014
    15 Posts
    lovely model, fantastic work!

my only criticism is that the spring in the latch needs to go. mechanically, a spring positioned like that on a draw latch would make it almost impossible difficult to keep closed. think of the force you apply on a latch designed like that to open it. now consider what force a spring positioned like that would apply.

21. Post #21
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    lovely model, fantastic work!

my only criticism is that the spring in the latch needs to go. mechanically, a spring positioned like that on a draw latch would make it almost impossible difficult to keep closed. think of the force you apply on a latch designed like that to open it. now consider what force a spring positioned like that would apply.
    So it doesn't make sense that it's there?
    Will a latch like this work without a spring?

22. Post #22

June 2014
    15 Posts
    the spring is unnecessary and would most likely make the latch inoperable. do a google search for "drawbolt" i cant' find single example that utilizes a spring in such a fashion.

It's kinda nit picky, but i really like this design. the trigger mechanic is especially clever!

23. Post #23
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    the spring is unnecessary and would most likely make the latch inoperable. do a google search for "drawbolt" i cant' find single example that utilizes a spring in such a fashion.

It's kinda nit picky, but i really like this design. the trigger mechanic is especially clever!
    Awesome!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    I will be sure to remove the spring then. :)
    Another cool idea for quick fire when the big hammer spring breaks is using a rubber band. Those small ones pack in the perfect punch to make that hammer hit the bolt hehe

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Hi yo!
    I'm currently baking ambient oclusion maps and rebake the normal map with supersmapling on. And then I will start making ZE TEXTURESSS. :D

Also, removed the spring as Roon mentioned. Hopefully it's more believable :)

It's around 8k or something. The most expensive part is the big spring, but It needed to be round or else breaks the ilusion :)

25. Post #25
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Hey ho!
    Spent a bit of time today experimenting with marmoset new metalness workflow. Thing I got the hang of it. Quite handy. Next stop, add dirt, rust and all sorts of cool stuff.

Hopefully will have something more final tomorrow and then I can hop onto a new thing.
    :)

26. Post #26

December 2013
    27 Posts
    The gun looks great. Good job texturing and pretty creative with what is used for the firing mechanism.

The wood looks too much like it's originally made for being a rifle stock. I would say put an old worn logo or something on the wood, make it look like the wood was taken from something and possibly anything else. If I made a shotgun from scratch I wouldn't take the time to cut finger grooves in the grip. You mentioned you are going to add some age and tarnish to the metal which will help get it to the "Rust" look you are trying to achieve. Maybe could put threads on the end of the barrel like it's taken straight from a water line. Trying to think of something different for straps to the hold the barrel in place that looks like an old used part from the real world but drawing a blank at the moment.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Editing my post. Was just looking at the firing mechanism again. I don't think I would take the time to drill a hole and put a nail through for a firing mechanism if I made this by hand. I would make a little latch on the left side I would just press with my thumb. Something along those lines. Hmm and those straps holding down the tube like that. That tub would be in your chest after one shot. Needs to be something that holds the tubs, not just press them down to the top of the wood. A minor reality thing that doesn't really matter.

27. Post #27
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    The gun looks great. Good job texturing and pretty creative with what is used for the firing mechanism.

The wood looks too much like it's originally made for being a rifle stock. I would say put an old worn logo or something on the wood, make it look like the wood was taken from something and possibly anything else. If I made a shotgun from scratch I wouldn't take the time to cut finger grooves in the grip. You mentioned you are going to add some age and tarnish to the metal which will help get it to the "Rust" look you are trying to achieve. Maybe could put threads on the end of the barrel like it's taken straight from a water line. Trying to think of something different for straps to the hold the barrel in place that looks like an old used part from the real world but drawing a blank at the moment.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Editing my post. Was just looking at the firing mechanism again. I don't think I would take the time to drill a hole and put a nail through for a firing mechanism if I made this by hand. I would make a little latch on the left side I would just press with my thumb. Something along those lines. Hmm and those straps holding down the tube like that. That tub would be in your chest after one shot. Needs to be something that holds the tubs, not just press them down to the top of the wood. A minor reality thing that doesn't really matter.
    Thanks for your reply XE_Nerd!
    Some good crits in there. I added the threading to the front pipe and stuff.
    Here is another work in progress shot.

thanks!

28. Post #28

December 2013
    27 Posts
    Nice job with the threads. I've modeled many moons ago in 3DS. I know the amount of time you put into this gun, especially getting the skinning to looks that good. No point in criticizing with out suggestions ;)

29. Post #29
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Nice job with the threads. I've modeled many moons ago in 3DS. I know the amount of time you put into this gun, especially getting the skinning to looks that good. No point in criticizing with out suggestions ;)
    Thanks man, really appreciate it!
    I'm gonna do a shotgun shell tomorrow, and tweak some bits and call it done.

30. Post #30
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    Hi guys!
    Final pics for the homebrew shotgun are here.
    Added a shell and stuff. Was a fun project. Would be cool to see something like this in rust :)
    Might do the AK that Paul did for rust. I dig that shovel stock :)
    Any questions feel free to ask!
    Onto the next project!

31. Post #31
    April 2014
    943 Posts
    lovely work mate. and awesome to see both the progression, and changes based on suggestions. good job:)

32. Post #32
    January 2012
    19 Posts
    lovely work mate. and awesome to see both the progression, and changes based on suggestions. good job:)
    Thanks a lot Mister Knifey!

Updated the final images and first post (dark background ftw!) :)