1. Post #81
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,653 Posts
    There's no way to mitigate something like Yellowstone erupting. It's an extinction event, plain and simple.
    Not necessarily, it depends the severity of the eruption (at least that's what I remember from a TV documentary I watched about it when I was a kid).

It will without doubt be an extinction event for most of the american continent though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #82
    I SHOULDN'T OWN A FIREARM
    May 2005
    7,476 Posts
    I love the park service uniforms. Also it's pretty cool that bison aren't scared of human contact. Though that probably a bad thing.
    Bison are one of the most dangerous animals in the park. They are massive, powerful, and unpredictable. They will gladly gore you for getting too close and moron tourists are too stupid to realize that they are not docile, but rather not usually threatened by human presence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,908 Posts
    not really, but the area near yellowstone is hosed, and the US is gonna need external help to cleanup, also the planet will suffer some alteration in climate for about a decade, but no means its an apocalypse.

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yel...-eruption.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1569214.html

It'd be an apocalypse because a huge chunk of the world relies on the Great Plains to eat. And they'll be buried in ash. IE: not producing.

It would still be an apocalypse. Not all apocalypses have to result in total extinction you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #84
    playdoh
    May 2008
    2,970 Posts
    Oh yeah no big deal, we'd only lose potentially 300+ million people and with that, the most important country in the world.
    Oh yeah, that's why I said extinction for the USA, and serious damage or collapse of civilization to follow. Extinguishing all life on the planet would take something bigger considering how much worse stuff like has gone through in the past (e.g yellowstone has erupted before.)

5. Post #85
    September 2012
    751 Posts
    Volcanoes terrify me. I'm so happy I live in a country where I don't really need to worry about any natural disasters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,070 Posts
    The American Government more than likely has a contingency plan in case of an eruption, so don't worry about it.
    I remember watching a documentary where a FEMA spokesperson admitted that if Yellowstone erupted, they wouldn't be able to do shit to help

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,216 Posts
    Bison are one of the most dangerous animals in the park. They are massive, powerful, and unpredictable. They will gladly gore you for getting too close and moron tourists are too stupid to realize that they are not docile, but rather not usually threatened by human presence.
    i remember when i went to yellowstone, we drove up next to a bison by the road and i rolled my window down and asked it for directions

Edited:

Oh yeah, that's why I said extinction for the USA, and serious damage or collapse of civilization to follow. Extinguishing all life on the planet would take something bigger considering how much worse stuff like has gone through in the past (e.g yellowstone has erupted before.)
    if you think the yellowstone eruption would cause "extinction for the USA" then yer fucked inna head mate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

8. Post #88
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,158 Posts
    Volcanoes terrify me. I'm so happy I live in a country where I don't really need to worry about any natural disasters.
    Australia itself is a natural disaster. It just can't burn or release dangerous animals to any other places.

Yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    April 2011
    3,262 Posts
    There's no way to mitigate something like Yellowstone erupting. It's an extinction event, plain and simple.
    NUKE IT. NUKE THE SHIT OUT OF IT.

Edit: Wait. That would just make the immense and unending rain of volcanic ash into radioactive fallout. Shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #90
    April 2014
    22 Posts
    The last time I was in Yellowstone a big fucking grizzly bear just sat in the middle of the road blocking traffic. Such magnificent animals, sad to them go if Yellowstone goes belly up with magma. :(

11. Post #91
    September 2012
    751 Posts
    Australia itself is a natural disaster. It just can't burn or release dangerous animals to any other places.

Yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Nuclear winter. The amount of ash thrown into the atmosphere would block a good portion of sunlight for months.
    Nuclear winter is a discredited theory. The instances of it in fiction (such as THREADS) were ramped up for dramatic purposes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    well, i guess a few years after the big eruption the great plains will be more fertile than ever before in our use of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts
    not really, but the area near yellowstone is hosed, and the US is gonna need external help to cleanup, also the planet will suffer some alteration in climate for about a decade, but no means its an apocalypse.

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yel...-eruption.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1569214.html
    Thank God someone posted this. Enough with the damn fearmongering, we won't die out due to Yellowstone. Won't be very nice if you live in the US though (won't exactly do you any favours if you live anywhere else either, but you won't have to worry about the apocalypse).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    Dennab
    December 2013
    764 Posts
    What would happen with the countless nuclear plans in the US? would they fail and meltdown?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #96
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    March 2009
    12,899 Posts
    I wouldn't trust buffalos over science
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,334 Posts
    What would happen with the countless nuclear plans in the US? would they fail and meltdown?
    They'd still be operational, but filteration systems would have to filter out ash and such.

Edited:

well, i guess a few years after the big eruption the great plains will be more fertile than ever before in our use of it
    After we clean it maybe, but once that's done, god yes... All the corn! :D

Quick question by the way: Is their anyway we could actually decrease the buildup in Yellowstone, in the hope of preventing an eruption?

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,216 Posts
    Quick question by the way: Is their anyway we could actually decrease the buildup in Yellowstone, in the hope of preventing an eruption?
    stick a giant straw in there and have someone slurp the magma out

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,592 Posts
    Remember to blow first or you'll burn your tongue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,070 Posts
    Build a pipeline and pump it out into the ocean somewhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,193 Posts
    If Yellowstone goes pop it's an apocalypse. No point in worrying about it.
    It won't annihilate us completely, but we'll have to live underground for a while or stay indoors with air purification systems until the dust has finally settled. To go outside you'd probably need winter clothing and gasmasks (which shouldn't be too hard for some of the folks here), what with the potential for "ashen rain", which sounds like what would happen if Ashens parodied Tay Zonday.

Regardless, it will likely be Fimbulvetr out there when Yellowstone blows her top (not quite yet though, I'd imagine), and if anything the most likely survivors of Fimbulvetr will be in places that have underground railways like New York, London, Moscow, etc, locations where man can live underground in tunnels like mole people. Especially Moscow since their underground was actually fitted with shelters in the past, not just in the books of Dmitry Glukhovsky.

So if and when the ashclouds bloom from Wyoming, and if the worst comes to worse, I would probably end up heading into London and taking shelter in the Victoria line when the ash starts looming over the UK. Assuming the effects at this distance are more severe than the recent Sahara dust storms or the ashclouds that came from Iceland a while back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Dennab
    December 2013
    764 Posts
    They'd still be operational, but filteration systems would have to filter out ash and such.

Edited:

After we clean it maybe, but once that's done, god yes... All the corn! :D

I mean, any plant close to the volcano? if it explodes it might send massive shock waves outward hitting the plant.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,171 Posts
    Is it possible to cause a Volcano to Erupt underground? Like building a Large chamber underneath it and giving sufficient pressure from above?
    Keep in mind that then you'll have a massive cavern that could be pretty weak and it could just collapse Yellowstone inwards.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,709 Posts
    if yellowstone goes up, the resulting tectonic activity will probably result in an earthquake of magnitude 6+

25. Post #105
    April 2011
    3,262 Posts
    I really sort of hope the Yellowstone caldera does vent. Have it quake a bit for weeks leading up to it. Get all the doomsday idiots out there screaming that it's the end times. Then, suddenly everything starts shaking, and... FRRRT. And that's that. No fire. No ash. No magma. Just a planet fart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,453 Posts
    Why don't we plug up the volcano with concrete and sand before it erupts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,709 Posts
    is this a serious question
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,927 Posts
    Please tell me this is not a serious question

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,453 Posts
    Please tell me this is not a serious question
    OF COURSE NOT.

We just flood the forest with swamp water. No I'm just kidding also

But anyways, why not build a domes on all of your farms. Protect the food supply first.

30. Post #110
    August 2009
    592 Posts
    OF COURSE NOT.

But anyways, why not build a domes on all of your farms. Protect the food supply first.
    Because the ash would still block out sunlight for weeks and blanket the US in a lot of ash. If it erupted now, we would have no time to do anything but watch everything go to shit.

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,809 Posts
    OF COURSE NOT.

Uhm, do you realize how much farmland we have? Constructing such a massive dome(s) would take years, not to mention the maintenance, costs, ect.

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,897 Posts
    I live in Casper, Wyoming, and the way I fucking see it, who fucking cares. Within like 20 minutes the ash cloud will go Pompeii 2: Volcanic Boogaloo on this city and kill everyone in it, so why the fuck should I even bother trying to rationalize fear for this in my mind. Waste of fucking energy and time.

And that's like, worst case, fearmongering is right sort of idea. Realistically everything will be kinda fucked but we'll survive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    May 2013
    256 Posts
    Wouldn't the government not tell us if there was going to be anything really life threatening about to happen? I mean imagine the mass-panic.

Which brings me to another question: Would you want to know if you were about to die and everyone around you as well, or would you rather live your life peacefully and die (probably) peacefully?

34. Post #114
    April 2009
    1,141 Posts
    We'd need an expert at sucking! Is your mother free?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    August 2009
    120 Posts
    People like to think that a Yellowstone eruption isn't too big of a deal, but considering the massive size of the magma chamber (basically it covers the entire park), it would probably devastate the western seaboard and spread east if it were to become a super-eruption. It depends on the size of the eruption, though. It could spew out a couple shots or a huge portion of the chamber. Likely enough to cause a climatic change or noticeable difference, like Krakatoa but a lot worse. My science teacher said that a super eruption or any eruption would spread ash across the Midwest and block the sky, and considering that - we wouldn't have food until it would clear up.

36. Post #116
    ASK ME ABOUT my critic fetish
    Dennab
    October 2013
    473 Posts
    Any update on yellowstone? I'm keen on posting in the gasmask thread for recommendations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 China Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    March 2014
    39 Posts
    I feel slightly safe if anything like an eruption did happen in my life time, Kentucky is the place to be.

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    June 2013
    190 Posts
    Try emptying a balloon that's filled with air and tied without popping it. That is the equivalent of trying to release pressure on a volcano.
    Easy just put a piece of tape on it.