View Poll Results: What should replace zombies?

Voters
3904. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

83 2.13%
  • Add Zombies Back

315 8.07%
  • Mutant Animals

276 7.07%
  • Mutant Humans

365 9.35%
  • Dinosaurs

1,096 28.07%
  • Robots

129 3.30%
  • Other Players

84 2.15%
  • Military

865 22.16%
  • Giants/Mythical Creatures

511 13.09%
  • Aliens

180 4.61%
  1. Post #161

February 2014
    7 Posts
    I'm thinking Dino-riders. Google it!

2. Post #162

February 2014
    1 Posts
    First off, I'd like to say that I know similar comments to this have been posted so I'll try to make it as original as possible. At this moment I feel Rust is at a very pivotal point in development and needs to really start to decide what direction it needs to go to make it as unique and fun as possible while staying true to the player base. I think to do this the community needs to first decide on this direction instead of just adding a new npc to the game. In my opinion each of the suggestions in the poll relate directly to a type of gameplay. Military would relate more to a post apocalyptic theme with modern weapons and heavy armor, dinosaurs would relate more towards prehistoric weapons, mutants would give more of a sifi horror aspect and mythical creatures could go in a few ways. What I'm trying to say is that before we decide on a zombie replacement we need to decide what type of game we want. Below will be a list of directions the game can head in and some aspects of that particular genre.

Nuclear apocalypse
    Radiated areas with deformed humans/animals
    Mutants would act similar to zombies but much more dangerous
    Mutant types that drop increasingly rare drops by kill difficulty
    Modern weapons could remain present, but increasingly rare
    Super rad areas with end game items that are almost impossible to survive in
    Abandoned towns/cities with lootable shops/houses
    Occasional supply drops from non affected outsiders
    Safe fields/forests for survivors to live in with natural resources

Epidemic (My personal favorite)
    Immune survivors left after a disease outbreak kills 95% of earths population
    Abandoned towns and cities with loot
    Modern weapons that can be found hidden in houses, but still rare
    Wild animals start to take over once populated areas causing danger at all times
    Growable crops and farming
    Rare gasoline and super rare vehicles
    No airdrops as you are the last people on earth, everything can be found in towns
    Similar to the walking dead minus the zombies, if you've watched the recent seasons you'd have seen the rich human to human interaction between Woodbury and the prison

Survival Island
    Placed on an island by governments to test human nature away from society
    Airdrops that hold modern weapons, ammo, armor, etc.
    All items crafted are handmade, revolver, hand cannon, pipe shotgun, and they all use hand made ammo which can cause jamming/misfires
    Some structures that are lootable mostly for food and other necessities
    Patrol helicopter sent by the military (can do a number of things)

Caveman
    No ranged weapons other than the bow
    Stone hatchets and sabre tooth pick for melee/resource gathering
    Animal skin armor
    Sabre tooth daggers and stone spears
    Possibly a few surviving dinosaurs
    Toned down building
    No modern structures/items

Medieval
    Essentially upgraded caveman
    This includes, forged items(swords and metal spears) building as we know it in rust today, chain and metal armor
    Possibly stone structures and battering rams for raiding

Cryptid Island
    Similar to survival island but with cryptid animals and no military involvement
    Possibilities could include the chupacabra and Bigfoot as common examples
    Airdrops to help survival
    Explorer camps from previous expeditions that could have weapons and ammo
    Monster liars that randomly spawn and house large amounts of resources

I'm sure I missed some examples but this is just a couple ideas. Also this is to be built open the current game so that's why I didn't mention crafting or building that much in detail as it's already in the game. If you don't like a certain aspect of one it could easily be changed as this is just an outline. Yes I do realize this is a bit off the original poll Garry postes, but I think this is showing how each option could affect the game.
    p.s. This is my first post so sorry if it's a bit messed up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    2,615 Posts
    I originally voted military because it seemed to fit best with the feel of Rust... patrols on the roads or in the towns. But I see everyone's point against it, AI would likely be boring, loot is nothing special (guns and armor or something, just normal stuff), predictability etc etc...

Mythical creatures just doesn't sound very Rust-y, but that's likely because the word "mythical" conjures up images of dragons and hippogriffs for me. However I like the idea of cryptids and large beasts that may or may not have been mutated.

Dinosaurs.... just feels corny. Doesn't it seem corny? Large beasts totally makes sense but dinosaurs are lizards and there just aren't really any giant lizards anymore... Obviously the Rust world isn't necessarily set on Earth but I don't see any reason for T-rexes to suddenly dig themselves up and start terrorizing shit. (ZOMBIE dinosaurs?!?! lol jk)

Some mutant animals and/or humans would be cool, those seem like easy enough things to sprinkle in with whatever else you decide to add.

Aliens are like dinosaurs to me, they feel corny. Suddenly adding high-tech super guns or something or plasma shields or w/e ehhhh maybe it's just because I'm not the biggest fantastic sci-fi fan.

Robots goes with aliens kinda... but if they were built by humans or something it could be plausible... something like drones or RC vehicles and such could be cool maybe, but they sound over powered.

Military just seems like a realistic thing that I would expect to see in a post-apocalyptic world. Maybe not JUST military but I would expect there to be some presence of some government that's in shambles after whatever caused this all to happen in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #164

September 2013
    220 Posts
    If there is mutated animals we need more variety...

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    106 Posts
    I dont care, just remove mutant animals...

6. Post #166

February 2014
    485 Posts
    I want to say Dinos but like...I need context of where the M4's and C4 is coming from so I went with military as it makes the most sense.

7. Post #167

September 2013
    1 Posts
    Something similar to zombies, so mutant humans. It must be 1 headshot to kill, not a full clip like the fucking bears.

8. Post #168

February 2014
    7 Posts
    Whoever is in charge of models and animation has got to be shitting bricks right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

9. Post #169

February 2014
    9 Posts
    Neanderthal. The game is obviously a statement on evolutionary dominance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #170

February 2014
    4 Posts
    Whoever is in charge of models and animation has got to be shitting bricks right now.

LOL and quickly pouring drink after drink as they read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #171

February 2014
    1 Posts
    the only word in Italic : Dinosaurs go for it! that would be sjust awesome , back to the stoneage!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    2,615 Posts
    God I wish I could vote a bunch of times.
    Anything but dinosaurs lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #174

February 2014
    6 Posts
    Dinosaurs go for it! That would be great!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    be
    Dennab
    November 2013
    1,139 Posts
    Dinosaurs are going to be pretty hard to make feel authentic, large non-humanoid models love to clip through things (their tail, for example). It'd be awesome though, and if it goes well I might consider buying this game which otherwise looks unappealing, no offense.

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    2,615 Posts
    This is actually pretty sweet as well.

Definitely this over dinosaurs lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    February 2014
    9 Posts
    I would like to see natives to the island that use bows. Possibly at night have small groups of them that move around and hunt players.
    This! Can we add a vote option for a tribal type of humanoid enemy?

18. Post #178

January 2014
    23 Posts
    We're seeing a snowball effect with the poll now, or there are multiple accounts being used to make votes. We should cut anything with below 10% vote and make a new poll with fewer options, and we should probably make it a "Pick Any" rather than "Pick One" style poll so we can not have to make another.

19. Post #179
    February 2014
    9 Posts
    This is actually pretty sweet as well.

Definitely this over dinosaurs lol.
    Exactly. Dinosaurs? Ugh. It doesn't seem to fit the game at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #180

January 2014
    262 Posts
    Dinosaurs are going to be pretty hard to make feel authentic, large non-humanoid models love to clip through things (their tail, for example). It'd be awesome though, and if it goes well I might consider buying this game which otherwise looks unappealing, no offense.
    annnnnd, here is the problem, people who don't even own the game voting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #181

January 2014
    3 Posts
    SANDWORMS.

They're attracted by sound. Higher level weapons make more sound. Moving in large groups creates more sound. Harvesting creates sound. Talking is sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    February 2014
    9 Posts
    Mutant military!

The problem Garry, is you've written in radiation, you've written in military guns. Maybe ask this question without people knowing those things exist, what would you vote for? I think if radiation and military weapons weren't a thing, I'd say bandit tribes. Perhaps that's the answer. Remove all rad towns, remove radiation, add some wooden premade buildings, add bandits in them. You can add camps around the world then to have bandits at that are away from the towns. They'd be like the NPC human faction that we are all constantly warring against. You could easily replace radiation with disease, and just replace rad pills with antibiotics. You could say they are diseased cannibals or something.

Just thinking as I go here, but the current things in game have backed you into a corner that military makes the most sense.
    Exactly. If the radiation, c4, airdrops and mil spec weapons are to remain in the game, this is the only thing that fits and would be awesome.

That said, I still want NPC tribal warriors. Random and procedurally generated little hut villages with awesome spear chucking bad dudes. Would be awesome. They'd be out gathering resources just like we do, you can kill them and take what they've gathered so far.

But to be honest, I think there should be mutant military type guys near the rad towns and tribal dudes and animals in the wild. It would give us a pretty awesome diversity and they wouldn't have to replace all the military and radiation type stuff already in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #183

December 2013
    71 Posts
    Nothing -NO

Add Zombies Back -NO , go play dayz

Mutant Animals -NO, Animals drop ammo and shit ? doesnt make sense

Mutant Humans -NO, similar with zombies

Dinosaurs - NO, there r already another dino survival game coming out

Robots - Would be interesting but NO , doesnt match this type of game
    too advanced
    (unless you are going to add some "future weapons/buildings" )

Other Players - Yes but also need some npc for farming

Military - NO , Other players would become the "military" , no need dumb
    npc shooting around

Giants/Mythical Creatures -Maybe add some Mythical creatures as "boss npc" to some
    specified area (loch ness monster on lake ? lol ) but definitely not
    the right npc to farm

Aliens - NO , Same as Robots

Tribe/Caveman -Yes , Put them to Guard Chests/treasure or Drop weapons make
    more sense than others , they use spears, hatchet....... as close
    combat weapon , bow &arrow (or handmade Guns) as long range
    weapon , so you can not jump on a foundation and hit them to dead
    with a rock , More challenging More FUN !!
    If you want more fun and realistic environment , tribes definitely is your choice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Hong Kong Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #184

November 2013
    25 Posts
    I think the best option is large variety of mutants like in STALKER.
    Fast mutants, stealth mutants, flying mutants, PSI mutants etc, like in horror!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    u focking WOT m8, I lay u out blad
    June 2012
    765 Posts
    +1 on this idea

Tribals/Natives would be fucking amazing in a game like Rust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #186

February 2014
    2 Posts
    I say keep the mutated animals, but add something else:

What if a monster/dark yeti/thing spawned in one random region on the map when the sun goes down? It could be programmed to seek out and hunt players. Make it attracted to player-generated light sources.

This would make traveling at night a little more tense and risky. Puts more of an emphasis on building a shelter when the sun goes down. Having only one monster insures players won't always come across it, but it would be a big deal when they do. Could really make for a special experience if it's done right.

27. Post #187

December 2013
    42 Posts
    Give us fluffy chickens!
    I hope they will add the fluffly chickens, they would be like a thing that everyone would remember, something original and diffrent. Dicks,rocks and deadly fluffy chickens is all a real man needs.

edit: now that i saw the native tribes idea i want both

28. Post #188

January 2014
    18 Posts
    First off, I'd like to say that I know similar comments to this have been posted so I'll try to make it as original as possible. At this moment I feel Rust is at a very pivotal point in development and needs to really start to decide what direction it needs to go to make it as unique and fun as possible while staying true to the player base. I think to do this the community needs to first decide on this direction instead of just adding a new npc to the game. In my opinion each of the suggestions in the poll relate directly to a type of gameplay. Military would relate more to a post apocalyptic theme with modern weapons and heavy armor, dinosaurs would relate more towards prehistoric weapons, mutants would give more of a sifi horror aspect and mythical creatures could go in a few ways. What I'm trying to say is that before we decide on a zombie replacement we need to decide what type of game we want. Below will be a list of directions the game can head in and some aspects of that particular genre.
    thanks for the thought on this. i like the Epidemic scenario the best of what you have listed. Survival Island would be my 2nd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #189

February 2014
    3 Posts
    fffffffffffffffff
    I have a (what i believe to be) a interesting suggestion, first of I like the dinosaur idea because of the landscape etc. But a friend of mine just suggested Radiation vampires, and I think with the nighttime being scary already, vampires in complete dark would make that game so freaking intense i dont know if i could leave my house.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

30. Post #190
    February 2014
    9 Posts
    I have another idea. What about some insane backwoods deliverance style hillbillies?

Here's some imagery to get you in the mood. Totally fits the RUSTic theme too.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #191

February 2014
    18 Posts
    SANDWORMS.

They're attracted by sound. Higher level weapons make more sound. Moving in large groups creates more sound. Harvesting creates sound. Talking is sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192

January 2014
    24 Posts
    Mutants or military or whatever you can think of. Just please make it more then just them wandering by towns, ect. Make it interactive:

-Make military or mutants specifically come out at night
    -Have them be attracted to light or gun shots
    -Have them pound on your door
    -Make them fast and crazy
    -Have them drop good loot so ppl want to risk fighting them
    -Have them be huge swarms that can overwhelm a house
    -If it is military have them shoot at anyone they come across
    -Have them build defenses by towns while we sleep and we can go fight/raid them during the day
    -Have them also pursue the airdrops (make the airdrops for them - would go with the story better)
    -They could have vehicles at night - if you killed them the vehicles is yours
    -Have them eat or kill the animals so you have to fight them off so you can farm (Same with resources)
    -Have them live in the mountains and come out a night to kill ppl or hunt
    -Ppl could pay money or resources to hire them to hunt down a certain player
    -They could come out of the water or be parachuted in at random times - random encounters for more end game content
    -They could make villages or military camps to protect the road (they could hunt ppl using the road)

Just some thoughts, I really want to see interactive game play. You guys have dome something incredibly unique in a cookie cutter MMO genre. This will put you over the top. Good luck!

-Carage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #193

February 2014
    8 Posts
    Military protecting radiated areas full of mutant humans and mutant animals.
    Millitary rush to defend and capture air drops, radiated areas is less secure and mutants escape.
    Military patrols hunt and capture (kill) survivors (us) to feed or create more mutants.
    When there is no resistance, military secured teritory expand with baracks and outposts where military spawn.

When the "game" begin, the entire island is under military control.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #194

January 2014
    18 Posts
    i don't want mutants or military...but if that's the way we go, i like most of Carage's suggested approach (2 above).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #195

January 2014
    27 Posts
    fffffffffffffffff
    Dinosaur's!!!!

But add more than just 2 types..

Some harder to kill.. Some require a group to kill.

Even the velociraptor!!! Make sure you cannot out run them!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #196

February 2014
    40 Posts
    I voted dinosaurs.

I really want a velociraptor pet :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    December 2013
    9 Posts
    I voted for mythical creatures, but I want to explain that I'm not thinking in the fairy tale mythical sense. I mean mythical as within the mysterious history of the land where Rust takes place kind of way. Something that's not necessarily explained. Something original to Rust.

A prime example is the Smoke Monster from LOST. I'm not saying Rust should have a Smoke Monster in it (though, that would be pretty cool), but something (or things) unique or few in number that are absolutely terrifying, and possibly invincible. Battling these things to the death would be an act in futility. However, after they take enough damage they would retreat with haste before you can kill them. Instead of actually dropping loot, somehow doing damage to them, or simply being near them, players would pick up clues to the location of loot that is presently spawned and hidden somewhere in the world. Whether these clues would come as visual telepathic flashes, scraps of paper, a map, identifying items (such as a photograph, or part of a coordinate), or even the name of a player who has built a structure in the vicinity of the loot stash or was recently in the vicinity of it, just being in the presence of these things is all together scary, dangerous, AND rewarding. The items would be keys to figuring out where these equipment stashes are. They could send players off on PvE journeys to find the proverbial keyhole. What they find might be equipment, or it might be pieces of lore or history about what happened to the land.

So, anytime you go out to gather, or hunt, or raid, or simply travel, you're likely to run into other survivors, but there's always the chance that one of these creatures is going to come calling, and it would be absolutely terrifying. But, if you can stick it out and fend it off, or survive around it long enough and escape, you might pick up the location of some nice loot! It kind of becomes a manifestation or an incarnation of the game itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #198

January 2014
    13 Posts
    I have another idea. What about some insane backwoods deliverance style hillbillies?

Here's some imagery to get you in the mood. Totally fits the RUSTic theme too.

Is... Is that man getting raped?

Edited:

Are we seriously getting dinosaurs? That doesn't even fit the theme guys!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #199

February 2014
    48 Posts
    zombies

40. Post #200
    February 2014
    9 Posts

Is... Is that man getting raped?

Edited:

Are we seriously getting dinosaurs? That doesn't even fit the theme guys!
    I believe in that scene he was being ordered to squeal like a piggy.

Edit: By the way, I'm totally serious. Psycho crazed hillbillies would be an amazingly awesome enemy in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)