1. Post #81
    February 2014
    4 Posts
    RIP Phil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #82
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,312 Posts
    For those wondering about his role in the hunger games, he finished part 1 and had a week left of filming for part 2. I guess those scenes are just gonna be scrapped then since they're saying it won't impact the films release.

Weird that we'll still be seeing him on screen almost two years from now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 15 (list)

3. Post #83
    September 2009
    4,396 Posts
    You know those news stories you refuse to believe, because it just might be a hoax, and you spend hours on end researching if it really is true?

This was one of those :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 13Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #84
    Man, I really wished those sites saying it was a hoax were true. I'm still in disbelief over this, he was such a great actor.

5. Post #85
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    8,088 Posts
    This news came out of nowhere. I wasn't exactly a fan which explains how I had no idea of his heroin past but I found him to be a great actor. Drugs suck.

6. Post #86
    My dick's so long, if I laid it on my keyboard, it'd reach from A to Z.
    March 2012
    2,163 Posts
    To anyone not fully convinced of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's genius, look no further than Patch Adams. The movie was absolute shit. Robin Williams plays the same coked-out manchild he plays in everything. The plot is the usual Robin Williams crap. . .Guy that nobody believes in touches your heart by saying random things a mile a minute and yelling, and by the end, he acheives something, and everyone ends up believing in him. The end theme is the shitty Rod Stewart song that ended up being the theme song to Enterprise.

The movie is absolutely fucking unwatchable.

. . .except for the scenes with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

When his character starts to believe in Patch, you ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT. You find yourself giving a fuck. You see through his eyes. You suddenly agree that Patch Adams is the best damn doctor you've ever seen, and you want to see his clinic become a reality. You find yourself searching your house for red enema bulbs, so you, too, can make a Patch Adams clown nose. You begin to love Robin Williams. You think, "You know, I haven't seen TOYS or JACK in entirely too long! Those movies were awesome! As soon as this movie is over, I'm going to run right out and buy them! On BLU RAY! OH FUCK I LOVE ROBIN WILLIAMS! AND MORK AND MINDY IS THE GREATEST TELEVISION PROGRAM EVER DEVISED BY HUMANS! HE IS ALSO A BRILLIANT STANDUP COMIC, WHO IS IN NO WAY A COKED OUT, FREAKISHLY HAIRY JOKE THIEF OR A HACK!!!" You begin to masturbate furiously, raising blisters on your genitals. You wonder if eating the DVD of POPEYE will bestow magical powers on you. You. . .

. . .and then, Hoffman's scenes are over, and you look down, seeing your hideously chaffed and bloodied penis. At some point, you've carved PATCH ADAMS 4EVER into your thigh with a car key. You don't even own a car. You begin to realize that Hoffman has done it again. That lovably pudgy bastard has done it again. God damn him.

The greatest trick Phillip Seymour Hoffman ever pulled was convincing the world Robin Williams was watchable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Artistic Artistic x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    You know those news stories you refuse to believe, because it just might be a hoax, and you spend hours on end researching if it really is true?

This was one of those :(
    That's how I felt after Paul Walker died, because there was a death hoax the day before he died I didn't believe he had actually died at first until the real reports came in and there was actual evidence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #88
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,214 Posts
    God, this is so sad. What the hell happened to him? He was clean for 23 years before 2012. He went to rehab in 2013. He had three children. What could possibly have caused him to fall back into it that hard?
    Heroin is highly addictive, like probably the worst drug out there. Very hard to ever recover from and not relapse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #89
    April 2011
    5,002 Posts
    But he is pretty important in the film and one of the main antagonists    He is the game master after all   
    He's actually not an antagonist in that movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,901 Posts
    This is just so out of the blue.
    I did not expect this at all.

Great actor, gone too soon. RIP

11. Post #91
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    For those wondering about his role in the hunger games, he finished part 1 and had a week left of filming for part 2. I guess those scenes are just gonna be scrapped then since they're saying it won't impact the films release.

Or maybe they'll use CGI to replace him? It's not as odd as it sounds -- Gladiator used CGI to complete Oliver Reed/Proximo's role since he died midway through filming, to which they just dedicated the entire film to him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,150 Posts
    Fuck I didn't know about Phillip's history with drug and alcohol abuse.

This was just so sudden. Another great actor will be missed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    864 Posts
    Fuck and I was just watching The Big Lebowski.

Should probably rewatch Capote, sucks that such a great actor had to die so young.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,077 Posts
    I don't often get bent out of shape when I hear about a celebrity passing.

This is one of those occasions. :(

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,585 Posts
    Or maybe they'll use CGI to replace him? It's not as odd as it sounds -- Gladiator used CGI to complete Oliver Reed/Proximo's role since he died midway through filming, to which they just dedicated the entire film to him.
    The easy way to do it just have a stand in film his remaining scenes and the camera only shows him from the back. Instead of giving the stand in lines to read, just have him nod or shake his head.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,984 Posts
    I really loved him in all of his movies. He was a really good choice in the Hunger Games films, especially, I feel. He had that smug look on his face for like half of Catching Fire. RIP

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    7,665 Posts
    Fucking just watched Red Dragon on TV, too soon :(

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,063 Posts
    Well shit, I really liked this guy :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    November 2010
    512 Posts
    I was watching super troopers the other day, meow he is dead.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    My dick's so long, if I laid it on my keyboard, it'd reach from A to Z.
    March 2012
    2,163 Posts
    I was watching super troopers the other day, meow he is dead.

That was Jim Gaffigan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    39,175 Posts
    I liked him for his minor role in The Big Lebowski :<
    "Maybe we'll see you again sometime, Dude..." :(

Best actor of his generation, one of the best of all time. One of my favourites as well. Worked on some of the greatest films of last decade, and had he lived on longer he'd have made some of the best of this one. And the next... Really tragic. Fuck heroin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,294 Posts
    I haven't even watched Catching Fire yet and now I feel like I'm going to be sad every time he comes on screen.

RIP.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2013
    376 Posts
    Probably drugs, he's had a lot of problems with them.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/02/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t1

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,065 Posts
       He was working with the resistance the whole time. The ending of Catching Fire showed that. And I believe he dies mid-way through Mockingjay according to book lore, iirc.   
    Nope.

He lives until the end and is appointed Secretary of Communications after the war   

He's actually not an antagonist in that movie.   
    Technically a spoiler so.

He's portrayed as one at first.

While him showing Katniss the mockingjay symbol on his watch is supposed to be a sign he's on her/the resistance side. But since Katniss/the viewers has no idea she and the mockingjay is used as a symbol for the resistance you don't really know that. It's not until they bust Katniss out of the second games that you know he's working with the resistance. 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    5,763 Posts
    Nice spoiler

26. Post #106
    Bring the Noise!
    January 2007
    2,996 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    April 2011
    1,016 Posts
       He was working with the resistance the whole time. The ending of Catching Fire showed that. And I believe he dies mid-way through Mockingjay according to book lore, iirc.   
    -Snip, got ninja'd-

Edited:

Despite Hoffman's death in February 2014, "because most of Mr. Hoffman’s scenes were complete, director Francis Lawrence and his team are said to be confident they can complete filming without the character or the films being substantially changed"
    At least one of his final roles won't have to be changed much

28. Post #108
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,312 Posts
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ph...in-1201084430/

A search of the home of Philip Seymour Hoffman home turned up used syringes and approximately 50 bags of heroin, according to law enforcement officials.

Police also found drug paraphernalia and prescription drugs.
    fucking hell he was really going at it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,669 Posts
    he was incredible in Capote, RIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    6,003 Posts

I kind of figured they would do the same thing ridley scott did with oliver reed in gladiator

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,585 Posts
    That would depend on how much 'use' you get per bag, wouldn't it? If it took five bags to give him one injection's worth of what he needed, and he needed to do it every six hours, there's thirty bags right there in one day.

32. Post #112
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,057 Posts
    That would depend on how much 'use' you get per bag, wouldn't it? If it took five bags to give him one injection's worth of what he needed, and he needed to do it every six hours, there's thirty bags right there in one day.
    From what I know about heroin, which isn't a lot, doing practically a whole bag is a death sentence. Yeah, there's no denying that Hoffman was a big guy, but many people OD with heroin because they can fuck up their dosages. I'd imagine it's rather easy to do, and if you're in a state looking to get high and you aren't in a rational state of mind, you can easily over do it.

In this case, I would guess that he wasn't doing it a bag at a time, but rather dosing himself over the course of a couple days. If he had 50 bags, he was probably looking to stretch it out over a while, but lost control.

33. Post #113
    December 2010
    6,435 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #114
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,214 Posts
    From what I know about heroin, which isn't a lot, doing practically a whole bag is a death sentence. Yeah, there's no denying that Hoffman was a big guy, but many people OD with heroin because they can fuck up their dosages. I'd imagine it's rather easy to do, and if you're in a state looking to get high and you aren't in a rational state of mind, you can easily over do it.

In this case, I would guess that he wasn't doing it a bag at a time, but rather dosing himself over the course of a couple days. If he had 50 bags, he was probably looking to stretch it out over a while, but lost control.
    you gain resistance to heroin's effects quite easily, so higher doses are needed in order to give the same "high".
    here's a good overview of it
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../heroin/brain/

50 bags is a lot, but it seems as if he was pretty deep in his addiction. at 3 bags it might be considered a suicide, but that's just me speculating. either way though it's quite tragic, but a very unfortunate reality for heroin addicts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    Lovely related videos. Thanks for the horse dick.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

36. Post #116
    RAIN BOW DASH IS TEH BEST PONY! SWAG!
    November 2010
    1,611 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)