1. Post #1
    February 2011
    379 Posts
    Picture a tribe of aboriginals surrounding a hut and fire chanting and dancing, in the center are 3 chests and 3 spikes with players heads on top. If you think you can get the loot alone good luck, you'll be speared down in seconds if they spot you. Working together with others is a must to get the loot. These NPC's go out and gather resources just like you, you may be getting some wood when one spots you and starts chasing you down with his spear. Tribes would be scattered around the map, big and small. Hunters and gatherer NPC's would be roaming around the map. Players would have to work together more often then not to survive and get gear. idk just something I've thought about for a bit, seems like it might fit the rust vibe a bit better then zombies.

What might look like:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree x 58Winner x 20Disagree x 6Funny x 4Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

June 2005
    11 Posts
    That would just be plain scary, I think I prefer this idea over bandits though as bandits are generic to every game out there in the survival game scene.

These areas could be rich in bamboo to craft blowdarts, spears, bamboo structures. These tribes should also hunt at night carrying a torch so you know there 'general' whereabouts chanting death chants. Would be scary as and it would give night time that extra scariness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

December 2013
    27 Posts
    I'm not one of those politically correct, granola crunching activists. But I gotta say, this seems a little insensitive. I mean other games have done it but it seems to be in bad taste to cast a primitive tribe as objects to be hunted for loot. Gunning down hapless tribesmen is not my cup of tea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 15Funny x 5Agree x 4Disagree x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2014
    46 Posts
    I like the idea of savages in remote parts of the map. I think the whole concept behind RUST is that of an aftermath of a fallout, RUST=decay of metal, falling apart of civilization, survival in the post apocalyptic world. I think that bandits would be okay in post-apocalyptic towns which have not been irradiated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2013
    207 Posts
    I'm not one of those politically correct, granola crunching activists. But I gotta say, this seems a little insensitive. I mean other games have done it but it seems to be in bad taste to cast a primitive tribe as objects to be hunted for loot. Gunning down hapless tribesmen is not my cup of tea.
    Let's be real; it's not like any tribe-people like this sort are going to be able to get offended, because they don't really have computers, do they?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 8Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6

January 2014
    30 Posts
    I like the idea of savages in remote parts of the map. I think the whole concept behind RUST is that of an aftermath of a fallout, RUST=decay of metal, falling apart of civilization, survival in the post apocalyptic world. I think that bandits would be okay in post-apocalyptic towns which have not been irradiated.
    Rust could also be short for "Rustic"

rus·tic
    ˈrəstik/Submit
    adjective
    of or relating to the countryside; rural.
    rural, country, countryside, countrified, pastoral, bucolic; More
    antonyms: urban
    derogatory
    lacking the sophistication of the city; backward and provincial.
    "you are a rustic halfwit"
    synonyms: unsophisticated, uncultured, unrefined, simple; More
    antonyms: urbane, cultured, sophisticated
    constructed or made in a plain and simple fashion, in particular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7

June 2005
    11 Posts
    You hunt for loot in pretty much any game wether it's bandits, animals, Iraqis and Russians in COD games. I don't see why Tribes is so insensitive lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2014
    46 Posts
    Rust could also be short for "Rustic"

rus·tic
    ˈrəstik/Submit
    adjective
    of or relating to the countryside; rural.
    rural, country, countryside, countrified, pastoral, bucolic; More
    antonyms: urban
    derogatory
    lacking the sophistication of the city; backward and provincial.
    "you are a rustic halfwit"
    synonyms: unsophisticated, uncultured, unrefined, simple; More
    antonyms: urbane, cultured, sophisticated
    constructed or made in a plain and simple fashion, in particular.
    Or it could be RUST as in post apocalyptic which is what the developers said they were going for in the first place. RUST was a dayz clone from the start. I actually think its a good idea to rename it to something like Rustic. Good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

January 2014
    30 Posts
    Or it could be RUST as in post apocalyptic which is what the developers said they were going for in the first place. RUST was a dayz clone from the start. I actually think its a good idea to rename it to something like Rustic. Good idea.
    and they've since said they're moving away from the post apocalyptic setting. They said they started as a dayz clone but the game has since moved in a different direction. They've already confirmed they're removing zombies. Only a matter of time before the towns and radiation are out too. Rust still works for the game title even in a primitive setting.

10. Post #10

June 2005
    11 Posts
    and they've since said they're moving away from the post apocalyptic setting. They said they started as a dayz clone but the game has since moved in a different direction. They've already confirmed they're removing zombies. Only a matter of time before the towns and radiation are out too. Rust still works for the game title even in a primitive setting.
    I'm almost sure they wont remove raid able/ loot able towns otherwise you would never come across blueprints and general loot.

11. Post #11

January 2014
    49 Posts
    did you see what they are replacing the zombies with? they are certainly going to be harder to hit with a bow!

12. Post #12

January 2014
    33 Posts
    did you see what they are replacing the zombies with? they are certainly going to be harder to hit with a bow!
    I haven't, care to link it?

13. Post #13
    December 2007
    93 Posts
    That is kinda Cool, but I don't know what would that guys be doing after like year 2020 in the cities and so on...

That guys live far worse in technology than man even before Christ were born (Greece was already a kinda modern city back then).
    Keep Cool

14. Post #14

January 2014
    4 Posts
    I'd like to see a replacement mob that groups together, builds, farms like a human player (though that kind of AI would create wayyy too many exploitable bugs).

Doesn't have to be an aboriginal tribe, though. It could just be a group of near-nekkids, driven mad by the cold/hunger/violence/etc. Like the Reavers from Firefly.

15. Post #15

December 2013
    28 Posts
    Well they added it for next version https://trello.com/c/aPg2Nwj3/130-remove-zombies a few minutes ago and some other things that will change gameplay a little.

16. Post #16
    February 2011
    379 Posts
    Well they added it for next version https://trello.com/c/aPg2Nwj3/130-remove-zombies a few minutes ago and some other things that will change gameplay a little.
    Also added some type of AI? Or that's probably like bears and stuff?

https://trello.com/c/SUwzvI5Y/264-ai...o-danger-a-bit

17. Post #17

January 2014
    49 Posts
    I haven't, care to link it?
    http://www.facepunchstudios.com/category/concept-art/

replacement concepts for zombies.

18. Post #18

December 2013
    28 Posts
    Also added some type of AI? Or that's probably like bears and stuff?

https://trello.com/c/SUwzvI5Y/264-ai...o-danger-a-bit
    Looks like pigs, deers and chickens will be chased by bears and wolfs now plus they will run when hearing gunshoots, idk if the zombies replacements will attack the other AI too.

19. Post #19
    February 2014
    9 Posts
    This would be amazing.

Edited:

I'd like to see a replacement mob that groups together, builds, farms like a human player (though that kind of AI would create wayyy too many exploitable bugs).

Doesn't have to be an aboriginal tribe, though. It could just be a group of near-nekkids, driven mad by the cold/hunger/violence/etc. Like the Reavers from Firefly.
    Very awesome idea.

20. Post #20

October 2013
    16 Posts
    Look at the "things" from "The Forest" (Survival Game)...
    Thats an Awesome idea !!! :)

21. Post #21

February 2014
    40 Posts
    I agree. Facepunch should make their own thing instead of going for the typical "savage natives" route like in some survival games.

22. Post #22
    February 2011
    379 Posts
    Here are some more ideas of what the tribes might look like, if they decided to go this rout for zombie replacements. These are taken from the game "From Dust".

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2014
    232 Posts
    Best zombie replacement suggestion so far!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24

February 2014
    13 Posts
    people act this way already... at least i do
    /dances round the campfire

"mm bap bap mmmmmmmm bap bap"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #25

February 2014
    2 Posts
    They would still be copying another game. There's already a game like Rust and IMO is way more advanced. It's a open world survival horror game, build, harvest, day/night cycle, caves, underground lakes, plant seeds to grow food, stealth and a tribe of cannibals.

26. Post #26
    January 2014
    249 Posts
    I agreed this post without thinking when I saw it:

LOL

27. Post #27
    January 2014
    81 Posts
    Best zombie replacement suggestion so far!
    I would argue how come every player seems to grasp idea of making, houses, furnaces, hatchets pickaxes and lets not forget firearms while NPC's are from culture that recently discovers fire... ?

And from cultural standpoint at least to me seems kind of offensive having to go around shooting up bare-buck native and taking their stuff... oh wait - won't this be repeating history ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    February 2011
    379 Posts
    They would still be copying another game. There's already a game like Rust and IMO is way more advanced. It's a open world survival horror game, build, harvest, day/night cycle, caves, underground lakes, plant seeds to grow food, stealth and a tribe of cannibals.
    The game your thinking of isn't a massive multiplayer game. It's offline and co op only I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    2,578 Posts
    And from cultural standpoint at least to me seems kind of offensive having to go around shooting up bare-buck native and taking their stuff... oh wait - won't this be repeating history ?
    People keep bringing up cultural offense and all that stuff...

Think of call of duty where you kill russians/nazi's/africans, no one thinks they're racist or anything.
    The tribes thing isn't any different.

Edited:

Also, totally unrelated but From Dust is a pretty sweet game for anyone who hasn't played it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2011
    379 Posts
    Some more ideas:

If a lone native gets attacked, he can call for backup using a whistle/call or something. So big groups of Kevlars don't automatically == a win.

Natives can break down wooden doors if needed. If you attack a native and run into your shack, he might come back with a "tank" native to help break down your door.

They are super sneaky, love bushes, love nighttime and love to ambush players with their spears whenever possible.

They use poison darts sometimes, you could be chomping on a wood node when you hear the dart sound. You take few small damage and your screen starts turning purple/red before you pass out for a few seconds. Afterwards you lose a few damage every few seconds for a period of time.

and more inspirational images:

-- If anyone else has any ideas/input on this, please feel free to add to the discussion.

31. Post #31
    March 2014
    60 Posts
    Sounds good, as long as I can play on the same side as the natives...

32. Post #32

March 2014
    31 Posts
    The idea isnt bad but i think it doesnt match in the game setting, in a post apocalyptical world u see more bandits than natives :D hope u understood becauseim not an eng grammarguerillia

33. Post #33

February 2014
    207 Posts
    /sarcasm 1

Yes, this is a great idea. Indigenous non-white population hunted down and murdered by white interlopers for resources and sport!

/sarcasm 0

This isn't going to happen. It would be cool and frightening for sure, but there's a reason why movies have German terrorists (Die Hard), Columbian terrorists (Collateral Damage), and so on. To avoid controversy and negative press associated with "stereotyping" a race or culture. I think if you were to get a tribe in Rust, that it would be a tribe made up of many different ethnicities. Most likely a tribe of survivors who have gone almost feral with rage due to radiation sickness. Aboriginal tribesman, I don't think will ever be a reality outside of modding.

Edited:

People keep bringing up cultural offense and all that stuff...

Think of call of duty where you kill russians/nazi's/africans, no one thinks they're racist or anything.
    The tribes thing isn't any different.

Edited:

Also, totally unrelated but From Dust is a pretty sweet game for anyone who hasn't played it...
    No it's not any different. You're not the one making that decision though, and unfortunately where race relations are concerned, cooler heads almost never prevail.

34. Post #34

March 2014
    35 Posts
    It could be made mutant tribesmen. A tribe of mutants, who have the basic resemblance to humans but also look different enough.
    Like mutants in KKND series. Or mutants you can see in Forest (through those that resemble humans there, by the way, look almost like some native tribesmen).

35. Post #35

December 2013
    23 Posts
    It will look a bit too much like the game The Forest

36. Post #36
    August 2013
    93 Posts
    Farcry 4 :D

37. Post #37

February 2014
    12 Posts
    not bad

38. Post #38

January 2014
    63 Posts
    Guys, come on. Only killing white people is acceptable. Anything else is offensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    garry has said that he does not want a bipedal humanoid AI threat as a replacement for zombies.

40. Post #40

February 2014
    207 Posts
    Guys, come on. Only killing white people is acceptable. Anything else is offensive.
    No its not that. It's that it's a bunch of bald white guys vs a bunch of half-naked black guys. That's all anyone who would be offended is going to see or care about. While you're dealing with fantasy, I am at least living in reality. Wishing the world were different won't make it so and just because it's a reality you don't like, doesn't mean it isn't reality. For the record, I don't have any problem with any replacement of Zombies, but I'm hoping for alien space Nazis. Nah, I really don't care what they do. Cheers.