1. Post #1
    September 2013
    2,582 Posts
    Hey all, I've had some issues with video lately. Fairly frequently, especially when watching flash videos, my screen will black out. Occasionally it will recover and tell me my video drivers have stopped working, but a majority of the time it just stays a black screen and I have to force a restart. It also does this while playing games, but less frequently. Flash is up to date, as are my video card drivers. Did a clean install multiple times, wiped both the drivers and generic VGA drivers before reinstalling as well. It's an old card, an XFX GTS 250 Core edition, got it when it was brand new. Been planning on a EVGA GTX 760 w/acx, but a home break-in put the brakes on my budget. Wondering if you think this is a software problem, or the card is just going. Gunna attempt to grab the EVGA GTS 250 from work that's a tech card to try it for a night.

Edited:

Eh, hardware acceleration seems to be the culprit for the flash videos, and the fact that I'm playing year or two old games on an aging and subpar card is probably the reasoning for the latter.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,705 Posts
    Yeah I've had this problem too. I believe it's actually due to the Nvidia drivers and motherboard combo.

You can try updating your motherboard firmware, but the two solutions that worked for me was to use Linux, or get a different motherboard.

3. Post #3
    September 2013
    2,582 Posts
    Hopefully the problems will go away when I get my new card/do a firmware update. This desktop is my only thing with Windows for gaming and other compatibility reasons (Virtualbox with xp). Erry other computer is running some form of Linux.