1. Post #1

October 2013
    18 Posts
    First I'd just like to state the fact that lag doesn't mean low FPS. Please stop saying lag when you actually have low fps. Lag is when your internet connection to the game is bad.

Anyway, I've been having an odd issue with lag all day today. I seem to be the only one having this issue in my group of friends, and it only happens on Rust. When I play other games I have no lag issues. It's been working fine the past few days, but suddenly when I got on today it's been very laggy. I die from zombies from 30 feet away, I can't open boxes most of the time, people stand still or move like a slideshow, etc. It's unplayable.

I posted a bug report earlier yesterday but there's been no response.

Here is my ticket with a list of everything I've tried: https://github.com/Facepunch/rust-issues/issues/961
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #2

October 2013
    18 Posts
    Second day now. I haven't done anything to make this start happening, and I've tried port forwarding. Nothing is working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2012
    1,262 Posts
    do a speedtest

4. Post #4

October 2013
    18 Posts
    do a speedtest
    I did. It's perfectly fine. This ONLY happens on Rust. I also just ran a continuous ping test to the server IP while trying to play a little bit, and the ping was fine the entire time as well. It's not actually my connection that's the problem. The game just doesn't respond on their end.

5. Post #5

November 2013
    11 Posts
    if theres more ping, is that better or worse?

6. Post #6

November 2013
    28 Posts
    if theres more ping, is that better or worse?
    You want the least ping you can get :P

7. Post #7

January 2014
    14 Posts
    Same thing happens to me... all servers are 200-600 ping, i've 50 mbit fiber connection. This issue only happens to Rust.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    2,609 Posts
    lastern, you might just be out of luck since I don't think there are many servers near where you are geographically, which means high pings and probably a lot of lag.
    JoshQuake, I can't say for sure for you... I have my own server hosted locally in Seattle and me and everyone else who plays in the area don't seem to see any issues. Sometimes there are little lag spikes but nothing major.
    Maybe check the ping of the server you're playing on? Frankly I never play on any server with a ping higher than 100... sadly for some people in some areas of the world this may not be possible.

9. Post #9

January 2014
    14 Posts
    Well european servers are usually low ping to me especially German hosts, i've started playing on a server which is not crowded (12 players) and 2-3 days later it started lagging so hard like between 200-600+ ping.

Edit: Also my friends does not have lag problem even though they have slower internet connection.

10. Post #10
    December 2013
    51 Posts
    lastern, might be fact all traffic is over udp and your getting high packet lose for udp traffic, maybe set your pc to DMZ on your router?

11. Post #11

January 2014
    14 Posts
    How can i do that?

Edit:
    Btw i think i've lag to all playrust.eu hosted servers cuz it's website also opens really slowly.

12. Post #12

January 2014
    43 Posts
    I have the same problem, all the pings go from 50 to well-over 1000, sometimes 1600+.

If they settle down to around 50, it's not long before I get the jugga-jugs and I'm rubber-banding to a death I don't even see, because I get booted or run into a griefer or whatevs. Eaten by a bear? Snacked-out by wolves?

I don't have a problem with any other game. Had a big fight in EVE, no problem there.

I am using servers in my own country, and for three days now, the ping goes over 1000 on all servers where before local servers were sub 50. And even with the grass on, I had no problem. But it seems to be constant now. All my stuff is gone bro!! ^^

I am no stronk-geek, got no idea about this at all. I guess it's early days? It's a great little game, (so bad and so funny).