June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    ~A Day in the Life of a Survival MP pirate~

Just out kroozin with the lads

Whats this then? Miner faggots prepare to get shrekt

its ogre for u

alright smash the loot lads

shit bail its the feds

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #3922
    November 2009
    9,537 Posts
    Shrek is love. Shrek is life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3923
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,178 Posts
    Shrek is onions.

4. Post #3924
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    ur ship peels like onions

5. Post #3925
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    I swear to god every time I enter this thread you people are getting even more and more off-topic. What is it about space blocks that drive such madness in men?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #3926
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    I swear to god every time I enter this thread you people are getting even more and more off-topic. What is it about space blocks that drive such madness in men?
    i'm slowly becoming more and more convinced that the asteroids are actually slumbering eldritch abominations locked lividly and eternally in the indomitable, hollow maw of space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #3927
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    Marker easter egg buried in one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

8. Post #3928
    November 2009
    9,537 Posts
    Spaaaaaaaace Madnesssssssss...

9. Post #3929
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    thread music

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #3930
    November 2009
    9,537 Posts
    thread music

Mmmm... Delicious copyright law.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #3931
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,950 Posts
    thread music

Real thread music:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3932
    November 2009
    9,537 Posts
    Speaking of CBB, is it any good? One of my friends swears by it, but I'm not a huge animu~kawai-desu sort of person. I do enjoy a decent sci-fi, but there aren't many.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #3933
    November 2013
    83 Posts

I think Firefly sums it up best.

"Campfire stories. Men who went savage on the edge of space..."

"They got out to the edge of the galaxy, to that place of nothin, and thats what they became."

Youtube failed me in my clip search.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #3934
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    646 Posts
    Speaking of CBB, is it any good? One of my friends swears by it, but I'm not a huge animu~kawai-desu sort of person. I do enjoy a decent sci-fi, but there aren't many.
    I'm not a huge anime fan either, but I can confirm that it's absolutely fantastic.

Go watch it right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #3935
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    2,262 Posts

I wonder if the life support in this will cause performance issues
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Winner Winner x 5 (list)

16. Post #3936
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    It doesn't use the vrage engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #3937
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,969 Posts

Holy shit, and this was just revealed yesterday.

Promising, very interesting, etc, but immediately comparable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3938
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,170 Posts

Considering that trailer is basically all anyone knows about it, you're really grasping at straws.

Edited:

Like, people have seen a really pretty trailer that makes lots of promises, and they're now taking it all like its a finished product about to come out and the greatest thing ever. The entire team consists of, what, six people? For one of the most ambitious projects likely ever attempted in gaming?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

19. Post #3939
    November 2013
    83 Posts
    Can we stop with the life support debating? All these games everyone is quoting are set up from the start very differently. They may be similar games but they aren't build at the foundation the same.

The game doesn't populate the entire space with blocks and load a handful of chunks at a time like minecraft where you're never actually adding blocks, just replacing them. So working on massive builds in minecraft doesn't cause anymore lag than was before. This game is filled with empty space. A vacuum if you will. You create a ship and now the game has created a block grid around that first block. More blocks added the more the grid grows. Each ship gets its own grid. This is why you can't connect two ships, they're separate grids entirely.

The game only has three states basically. Nothing. Blocks. Items. So to really do atmosphere on a ship, it would need to set out blocks of air. As has been suggested and compared to minecraft.

Problem is, its not replacing those blocks, its creating them. Let's say you create a rectangular ship, that's just the hull that measures 200 blocks long, 100 blocks wide and 50 blocks high. That comes out to 68,608 blocks total. Now you fill the whole interior of that ship with air blocks. You've just added 931,392 blocks to your ship, for a grand total of 1,000,000 blocks total.

For comparison, my ship, which currently measures 707 blocks long, and while i haven't measured the width or height is pretty certainly in the 100 + block range, and at its stage of completion is 148,075 blocks and beginning to lag pretty heavily. Without atmosphere or solid hull.

I fully believe that when they say the game can't handle the strain of atmosphere, it can't.

Can other games? Sure. They laid down a completely different framework that allowed them to achieve this. But they have limitations that Space Engineers doesn't. And Space Engineers has limitations they don't.

Because of the way the game was built from the start, atmosphere is probably not going to happen without scrapping the game as is, and starting from the ground up. Which isn't happening, and even if it did, something else will be sacrificed in diverting the resources to calculate air.

Bottomline is, just because two games are similar in mechanics, and style, doesn't mean they were built from the same template code.

For example, Minecraft built a world full of blocks. Every space is a block. It is possible for atmosphere systems to be viable in that game. But since the world in one giant grid of blocks, you can't move whole structures or ships anywhere (they're snapped in place to the grid of the world.) And you can't get structures rotating for the same reason. Sure there was a mod that let you do that, but severing the ship you made from the world to which it could literally just fly through anything. No collisions.

The distance it renders is a fraction of the distance, less than 100 meters, or less than 40 large blocks in Space Engineers.

They are different games entirely, built entirely different from the start. Just because the game play is comparable doesn't mean the code the game was built on is too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #3940
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,969 Posts
    The game doesn't need to actively keep track of atmosphere, like a 3D version of SS13. It can do it through a system of checks as needed. That would be the brute force method, and anyone who knows anything about computers is not suggesting that airflow be simulated block by block.

That's not to say it would be easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #3941
    November 2013
    83 Posts
    Maybe I just kept seeing the arguments that were from people who don't know anything and were suggesting such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #3942
    November 2009
    9,537 Posts
    The game doesn't need to actively keep track of atmosphere, like a 3D version of SS13. It can do it through a system of checks as needed. That would be the brute force method, and anyone who knows anything about computers is not suggesting that airflow be simulated block by block.

That's not to say it would be easy.
    You could probably get away with a compartmentalized, percentage-based model instead of physical atmospheric simulation. FTL did that, because it was cheap. (I know, apples and Alcubierre drives) Couple something like that with some point gravity effects to simulate decompression on physics objects, and you could probably pull it off pretty cheaply.

The algorithms to determine what constitutes as a room could potentially be pretty intensive, but you could perhaps just run a check for contiguous enclosed spaces every few hundred ticks or so. If the ships are on a grid system, it'd be checking the states of adjacent blocks. If you were to do that as a 3D array, and just ran coordinates, that could be cheap too.

You wouldn't have to run that all the time, either. Scan it once and store the regions instead of the block values. You could have triggers for detecting damage or removal, which would negate the need for a continual scan loop.

That level of abstraction could produce a cheap atmospheric system. It wouldn't be as easy just filling with blocks, but it wouldn't be as slow either. A lot of that stuff I've done, though not in this engine. Maybe the modders will have a go at it down the road.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3943
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,969 Posts
    You could probably get away with a compartmentalized, percentage-based model instead of physical atmospheric simulation. FTL did that, because it was cheap. (I know, apples and Alcubierre drives) Couple something like that with some point gravity effects to simulate decompression on physics objects, and you could probably pull it off pretty cheaply.

The algorithms to determine what constitutes as a room could potentially be pretty intensive, but you could perhaps just run a check for contiguous enclosed spaces every few hundred ticks or so. If the ships are on a grid system, it'd be checking the states of adjacent blocks. If you were to do that as a 3D array, and just ran coordinates, that could be cheap too.

You wouldn't have to run that all the time, either. Scan it once and store the regions instead of the block values. You could have triggers for detecting damage or removal, which would negate the need for a continual scan loop.

That level of abstraction could produce a cheap atmospheric system. It wouldn't be as easy just filling with blocks, but it wouldn't be as slow either. A lot of that stuff I've done, though not in this engine. Maybe the modders will have a go at it down the road.
    I'm not going to pretend like I understand such algorithms entirely, because they have the potential to be more complicated than anything I've worked with, and to be fair I don't entirely think you do either, but point is, since the game is working with only air, and through a binary room system, it would not need to be run constantly.

Room atmosphere states would only change after physics changes, and you wouldn't need to bother with any bullshit like decompression because these are space ships of the 2070s. Once a room has been vented through a block removal/destruction, you wouldn't need to check for a room refill should you remove more blocks, so ship-ship collisions with atmospheres would only have so much going on as they are only removing blocks.

bored musing. really comes down to whether or not the devs want to ever at all.

What an atmosphere really does though, when it comes down to it, is it grounds the crew to the ship. It turns the ship into a sort of precious container, emphasizing further how much your own life depends on it. In implementing atmospheres and indepth spacesuit/uniforms, the game could achieve a very interesting sense of vulnerability. It's something you don't get outside of space games, yet something that no space game has quite yet captured from the First Person Perspective (the only perspective that really can achieve it anyway), and that's why I keep pointing out how important it is to consider atmospheres at all. But point is, if the devs can produce a similar anchor feeling, some similar feeling of vulnerability, desire to stay inside and keep it safe, then I would be perfectly fine without atmospheres. There are several ways they could do that, and I hope they realize this.

Quick examples: limited space suits, air/propellant(/food?) resources in space, speed, types of space suits, distances between asteroids, navigation system limitations, beacon/node limitations, etc.

24. Post #3944
    November 2009
    9,537 Posts
    I'll admit, I don't know how space engineers works. I've got some experience with voxel-based game engines, and I know a little bit about how to determine contiguous spaces. Used to work with Source and Unreal, but those are irrelevant here.

Depending on how comprehensive the mod tools are, and how open the code is, modding in a primitive atmospherics system isn't impossible. I agree that something should be done to ground the crews to the ship, but I'm sure the devs have something in mind for that. Honestly, I'd settle for jetpack fuel and life support, since that could be almost as effective. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

25. Post #3945
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    8,228 Posts

looks like starbound in 3D with dogfights in space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #3946
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,954 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed some unmentioned changes to landing gear behaviour? Instead of completely fixing them to a craft they create a ball-socket like connection.

I definitely like this better, but some warning would be nice, considering the shrouds attached to my mining ship with a single landing gear broke off and cascaded through the rest of the ship utterly destroying everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #3947
    December 2009
    3,749 Posts
    Halo Pillar of autumn, really close to getting it done:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 24 (list)

28. Post #3948
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,331 Posts
    Halo Pillar of autumn, really close to getting it done:

But is it just going to be an empty shell like usual?

I really hope people snap out of the bad habit of making these giant as fuck ships without giving them a proper inside or anything.
    From a practical standpoint, that would crumple like paper in a fight over multiplayer unless you gave it a proper interior (or just filled all of the empty space with solid blocks).

Edited:

(still gave you a winner)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #3949
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,597 Posts

I really hope people snap out of the bad habit of making these giant as fuck ships without giving them a proper inside or anything.
    From a practical standpoint, that would crumple like paper in a fight over multiplayer unless you gave it a proper interior (or just filled all of the empty space with solid blocks).

Edited:

The cruise liner I was building had a full interior, complete with individual passenger cabins.

Unfortunately, I never finished it though. Mostly because I can't bring myself to build massive ships unless the interior is fully fleshed out, but I can't bring myself to put in that much effort either .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #3950
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,954 Posts
    There needs to be a stacking tool. Sort of like symmetry, where all of your actions are repeated X times in a certain direction Z blocks apart.

That way you could build one room in your living quarters and have it repeated down the entire hallway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #3951
    December 2009
    3,749 Posts

Edited:

With the bridge interior and almost the entire outer shell.

My high end pc is getting 9 fps while looking at the entire thing (with graphics settings on low), so its obviously reasonable to add the entire interior (or use it in multiplayer) not so much.

I am making its outer shell and the bridge just to show that it is possible to make it with 64bit, not to actually use it anywhere because even with good optimization in the game the fps would be bad.

32. Post #3952
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,530 Posts
    Also, when making a replica the interior plans are rarely available (or, exist at all)

33. Post #3953
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,803 Posts

Edited:

You make a fucking bigass ship with a full interior then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #3954
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    Also, when making a replica the interior plans are rarely available (or, exist at all)
    also they tend to use nonsensical geometry, and as down as i am for non-Euclidian architecture i think that's probably a bit beyond this game's scope

35. Post #3955
    December 2009
    5,104 Posts
    This game looks great, do they have any plans for multiplayer?

If there will be multiplayer sandbox, i'll buy this in an instant.

Edited:

No wait they already have multiplayer?

Man, i need to buy this.
    Gotta pay the rent though. Hmm.

36. Post #3956
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,546 Posts
    They don't have MP yet.

Edited:

also they tend to use nonsensical geometry, and as down as i am for non-Euclidian architecture i think that's probably a bit beyond this game's scope
    There needs to be smaller tile option for large ships so I can actually make the interiors doable. As of now there's no real point, no matter what you do you can't really pull off good interiors minus reactor rooms, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #3957
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,597 Posts
    Stanley Parable: Space Opera

Make it happen.

38. Post #3958

June 2012
    434 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed some unmentioned changes to landing gear behaviour? Instead of completely fixing them to a craft they create a ball-socket like connection.

I definitely like this better, but some warning would be nice, considering the shrouds attached to my mining ship with a single landing gear broke off and cascaded through the rest of the ship utterly destroying everything.
    Here here. I made a beautiful hangar rack for my TIE fighters, only to watch every one of them swing around and snap in half as soon as the larger ship moved around. I'll need to work around it by anchoring a small ship frame to the large ship, then attaching each individual fighter landing array to it using unpowered motors.

39. Post #3959
    February 2009
    3,554 Posts
    We need procedural rails/tracks.

Woudl be great for storing fighters and cargo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #3960
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,954 Posts
    So, the amount of debris generated by mining has been clamped down so hard it might as well not be there at all. I know it was done because a couple of minutes mining leaves you running at 5fps, but surely they could have just stuck a limit of 500 or so on them instead of making them vanish as soon as they touch anything (a maximum debris slider in options, anyone?). You'll see why my jimmies are so rustled when I upload the video I was in the middle of making.

Edited:

Drills. Weee!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 33 (list)