- Sherk 2
    - Shreking Ball

PRIZES
    1st: $30
    2nd: $20
    3rd: $10
    4th: The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime
    5th: The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime
    Cash prizes can be sent through PayPal or I can buy something of equivalent value
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny x 8Dumb x 6Winner x 2Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,425 Posts
    does this count
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2011
    73 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    does this count
    If it were uploaded between the dates I specified, yes. Obviously nothing can stop me from you re-uploading it if you really want to. :P I would love to see you create something new, though!
    ~Placeholder~

Is that allowed?
    Huh? Assuming you actually edit the ~Placeholder~ with your Shrek video before the due date, yes.

5. Post #5
    July 2011
    73 Posts
    Huh? Assuming you actually edit the ~Placeholder~ with your Shrek video before the due date, yes.
    Yeah, I'll be done eventually...

6. Post #6
    October 2012
    191 Posts
    how does the voting work? how do we know this isn't some big scheme for you to submit 3 videos of your own and award them 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize in order to claim an ill gotten victory over rival SFM shrek content creators?

i'm on to you.

7. Post #7
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    how does the voting work? how do we know this isn't some big scheme for you to submit 3 videos of your own and award them 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize in order to claim an ill gotten victory over rival SFM shrek content creators?

i'm on to you.
    I've never created a Shrek video. I only have 1.1 hours on record in Source Filmmaker; I don't know how to use it. Plus, I'm not participating in my own contest.

As for voting, I'm still trying to get that sorted out. So far, this poll site seems like my best bet but any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is an example poll I created. People would simply sort the videos from highest to lowest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2011
    73 Posts
    Done.

9. Post #9
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    Latest entry that someone posted in my other topic. Some of you may get a kick out of it. I'm so happy to see both of your entries so far and I hope more people will join in! :)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Mexican Seagull
    June 2013
    1,661 Posts
    Sounds like fun! I'll give it a go if I have time.

11. Post #11
    August 2013
    2,539 Posts
    oh god this is perfect i've had a shrek idea for so long but no reason to make it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Portfolio
    January 2013
    646 Posts
    This might be the thing that gets me back into SFM. Dunkey would be proud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2010
    569 Posts
    I think there's dude who already made video that for sure might win
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,020 Posts
    It'd be great to see someone use this model in a non-sarcastic way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    ~buttslut~
    September 2008
    5,852 Posts
    It'd be great to see someone use this model in a non-sarcastic way
    How could you use this model in a non-sarcastic way?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    Portfolio
    January 2013
    646 Posts
    -snip-

17. Post #17
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    UPDATE: Some have said they would participate if only they had more control over the ogre's face. So I may extend the deadline if GormlessTosser doesn't release his updated Shrek model before the 18th. I'd rather not extend it past October, though. Let me know what you all think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2013
    979 Posts
    -snip sorry didn't read-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    Yeah I've seen that before (I even linked to it in the topic post) and I agree it's well done. However, it doesn't fit within the rules. I can't make any exceptions for various reasons but mainly because it would defeat the whole purpose of the contest. Which is to encourage people to create new Shrek videos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    August 2013
    2,539 Posts
    UPDATE: Some have said they would participate if only they had more control over the ogre's face. So I may extend the deadline if GormlessTosser doesn't release his updated Shrek model before the 18th. I'd rather not extend it past October, though. Let me know what you all think.
    i actually came to the thread just to ask if anybody figured out better facial posing. i really hope that model comes out then. if we're lucky, we can just replace the old model with that updated one without having to reanimate it

21. Post #21
    July 2011
    73 Posts
    The lack of posing is kinda the reason why I kept his face as a blank expression the entire video, but it adds to the horror of Shrek, so it's good with me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    Just so everyone knows, I've decided to extend the deadline past the initial date of October 18th to accommodate GormlessTosser's updated Shrek model (which is supposed to be released in October). Once it's released, I'll push the deadline to a week or two after.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience but I just wanna allow everyone to take advantage of that new Shrek model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2012
    151 Posts
    Friday. I'm having issues with normals at the moment but I'll fix it.

The release video will be my entry by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    151 Posts
    more faceposing samples

Well, good night then!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Mexican Seagull
    June 2013
    1,661 Posts
    Jesus that last one...
    Great work on the model btw, I'll be keeping my eyes open for it since I will actually have time to make something with it now.

26. Post #26
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    Ahaha, I'm loving it. Nice job!

27. Post #27
    Hup, 2, 3, 4
    October 2009
    1,427 Posts
    I think there's dude who already made video that for sure might win
    Hoh thats my video,
    I suppose I'll enter.

28. Post #28
    January 2012
    151 Posts
    Ladies and gentlemen - Shrek V1 DL (see the AO and eye fix below, I packaged everything at a late hour and mistakes were made), however, the AO issue is not entirely fixed. I have no idea why $mostlyopaque doesn't work the way I usually expect it to. Oh, well. Here's my entry and now make your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    August 2013
    2,539 Posts
    Ladies and gentlemen - Shrek V1 (the link is in the description of the video; I could put the link here, of course, but I won't for absolutely no reason), however, the AO issue is not entirely fixed. I have no idea why $mostlyopaque doesn't work the way I usually expect it to. Oh, well. Here's my entry and now make your own.
    i love it, but when i add it to sfm the model is invisible.

30. Post #30

August 2012
    504 Posts
    however, the AO issue is not entirely fixed. I have no idea why $mostlyopaque doesn't work the way I usually expect it to. Oh, well. Here's my entry and now make your own.
    Great work on this man, thanks so much!
    The reason AO isn't working on the body is because you used $alphatest in ShrekBody.vmt to give transparency to the edges of the fabric. Transparency breaks AO in SFM.

Commenting out $alphatest in ShrekBody.vmt returns the AO somewhat but not completely.

However it still doesn't apply it to the model in normal render mode:

To get it working you need to take advantage of a bug/feature of SFM where if you enable phong on a model it somehow allows AO to work in most cases. Enabiling $phong in the .vmt but with a low $phongboost to prevent it from being shiny finally gives us the AO result we want:
    As well as better looking lighting/shadows overall it seems.

And as you can see much nicer AO on the vest:

Here's ShrekBody.vmt with my changes:

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/shrekislove/ShrekBody"
    "$bumpmap" "models/shrekislove/ShrekBodyNm"
    // "$alphatest" 1
    $nocull 1

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongboost" ".1"
    "$phongexponent" "5"
    "$phongtint" "[.85 .85 1]"
    "$halflambert" "0"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[.3 .65 7]"

}

Ok so we have AO now but the edges of the fabric look bad. Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to fix this in Source, it's beyond my technical knowledge, how do you have a transparent object that still has AO? It may not be possible in SFM, I don't know... One idea might be to separate the textures so at least the vest can still have AO.

Also you may have noticed from my pictures that the eyes aren't working. A quick check of the console reveals that the model is looking for textures it can't find and weren't provided in the download:

Of course this was easily fixed by going into the eyeball vmt's and changing the file path from bad company 2 to shrekislove:

"EyeRefract"
    {
    "$Iris" "models\shrekislove/Shrekball" //"models/bloo_ltcom/l4d/riot/eyeball_l" // Iris color in RGB with cornea noise in A
    "$AmbientOcclTexture" "models\shrekislove\eyeball_l_ambient" // Ambient occlusion in RGB, A unused
    "$Envmap" "models\shrekislove/eye-reflection-cubemap-" // Reflection environment map
    "$CorneaTexture" "models\shrekislove/eye-cornea" // Special texture that has 2D cornea normal in RG and other data in BA

OK sorry for the ultra long post! Just think this model is great overall and I'd like to help out. I still think there's some kind of solution to the AO/Transparency issue by seperating the textures making only the edges transparent, or another way would be without textures, modelling the rips and tears into the geometry itself. It may actually be fairly easy with todays modelling tools, and since they are just rips and tears they don't need to be super precise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    September 2013
    15 Posts
    Hoh thats my video,
    I suppose I'll enter.
    As much as I love your video, it's not eligible for entry because it doesn't meet the contest rules (upload date). I won't make any exceptions because it would be unfair to the other entries and it defeats the spirit of the contest. It'd be awesome if you created something new.

GormlessTosser, thank you so much for releasing an update to the Shrek model! Very humorous entry video to go along with it as well.

Just so everyone knows, the contest deadline is now October 31st, 2013.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2013
    2,539 Posts
    As much as I love your video, it's not eligible for entry because it doesn't meet the contest rules (upload date). I won't make any exceptions because it would be unfair to the other entries and it defeats the spirit of the contest. It'd be awesome if you created something new.

GormlessTosser, thank you so much for releasing an update to the Shrek model! Very humorous entry video to go along with it as well.

Just so everyone knows, the contest deadline is now October 31st, 2013.
    sweet, now i can actually work on it.

hopefully i can find a fix to the invisible new shrek..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Portfolio
    January 2013
    646 Posts
    sweet, now i can actually work on it.

hopefully i can find a fix to the invisible new shrek..
    You'll never see him shrekkin.

34. Post #34
    August 2013
    2,539 Posts
    so, any info on invisible shrek?

35. Post #35
    July 2011
    73 Posts
    Here's my second entry, a continuation of a project I started back when I had no idea how to use the graph editor. The description gives you an idea of why it took so long.

It's still processing as I post this, so wait a little while. Hopefully it won't be broken or anything, if it is I'll re-upload it as an MP4.

Also, the DL for the new Shrek model is broken! Someone help a guy out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    715 Posts
    Ladies and gentlemen - Shrek V1 DL (see the AO and eye fix below, I packaged everything at a late hour and mistakes were made), however, the AO issue is not entirely fixed. I have no idea why $mostlyopaque doesn't work the way I usually expect it to. Oh, well. Here's my entry and now make your own.
    Have a download link that isn't a deleted puush file?

37. Post #37
    Mexican Seagull
    June 2013
    1,661 Posts
    I've started on mine, hopefully it will be done soon. Mine is actually starting to creep me out with the massive audio editing thing I did yesterday...

38. Post #38
    August 2013
    2,539 Posts
    Have a download link that isn't a deleted puush file?
    i-i thought i asked you not to enter

but i do also request a working download
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    January 2012
    151 Posts
    Apologies, I've temporarily removed the link to fix the AO issue. I've assigned a different material to the parts of Shrek's clothing where there's alpha necessary. so that most of his body retains proper AO.
    Don't die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    715 Posts
    i-i thought i asked you not to enter

but i do also request a working download

Don't worry, it's not much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)