1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,565 Posts
    Uh from what I'm reading this appears to be total horseshit???

First off the document in question was written by the European Council on Tolerance and Reconciliation, which I find described here as 'a non-partisan and non-governmental ... opinion-making and advisory body'. It is not part of the EU and does not have any power to introduce or draft EU legislation.

As stated on its first page, the purpose of this document is merely to act as a 'framework national statute'. This is what the ECTR thinks the governments of the EU's member states should put into law. The reason you can find it hosted on EU servers is that (as one of the links in the OP shows) on the 17th they presented it to the EU's Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, and basically said 'yo wouldn't it be sweet if everyone did this? Ah well cya anyway.'

In fact this appears to just be a slightly updated version of an already-published document by the ECTR, called the Model National Statute for the Promotion of Tolerance. Given that the fearsome EU overlords have yet to force that document into law, I wouldn't worry too much about this one.

Furthermore, these links:

When it will be voted in parlament: here - “The vote on the Parliament´s report will take place on 14 October.”

Opinionated source:
    here
    appear to be the wrong links, because they're talking about a completely different matter to do with gender quotas in company boardrooms.

TL;DR this wasn't written by the EU and is not a draft EU law, it's just some ideas that a European NGO thought would be p. cool. The EU isn't voting on it at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,991 Posts
    Go ahead and try that in real life, infront of a cop or someone who has authority, rather than saying it on the Internet.
    Which laws did I break?

3. Post #83
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Oh I suddenly understand what this is about

I can't speak foreign. What's this translate into?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,035 Posts
    Besides, wasn't it in England that a few people were incriminated on stomping on flowers during a soldier parade?
    How can you not see the difference between that and saying "Hitler was a chill guy"?

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,012 Posts
    Which laws did I break?
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hets_mot_folkgrupp

Infact, I can recall a case in where a guy was on public grounds and played Eddie Meduza's Heil Hitler, and was charged in accordance with the above law.

6. Post #86
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,991 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,021 Posts
    I can't speak foreign. What's this translate into?
    It goes something like this:

Well, I have nothing against immigrants or anything, but there are certain things you're not allowed to say!

- What, what are you not allowed to say?

Um well, I can't say that!

- But now you have the chance, say it!

Yeah, I sorta want to say that..

-Yes?

Well, I.. I..

- Come on, you can do it!

I want to say that you can't say certain things but you can't say that!

The pretext is that it's common racist rhetoric in Sweden to argue that "you can't say some things" (like uh "throw out the niggers" or something) in the public debate without getting called out on your racism

and then they cry racist tears
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,012 Posts
    Which folkgrupp did I hets against?
    As I am not a lawyer, nor a cop, I couldn't tell you. Jews, though, or homosexuals. Read my above post regarding a person playing a song with the text "Heil Hitler" in it and being charged accordingly.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

9. Post #89
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,991 Posts
    As I am not a lawyer, nor a cop, I couldn't tell you. Jews, though, or homosexuals. Read my above post regarding a person playing a song with the text "Heil Hitler" in it and being charged accordingly.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
    Check the case about Åke Green. He said:
    Sexuella abnormiteter är en djup cancersvulst på hela samhällskroppen. Herren vet att sexuellt förvridna människor kommer att våldta djuren. Inte heller djuren går fria från människans sexuella behov och branden som är tänd i en människa. Utan till och med detta kan man ägna sig åt.
    This actually falls under the law, but eventually he got freed after taking it to HD.

My earlier statements was a praise to a historical figure, a denial of a historical event. I don't see how it'd cause any problems at all.

There are some other cases that I think are a bit weird. I wonder if they'd get freed as Green if they brought it to HD.

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,012 Posts
    Check the case about Åke Green. He said:

This actually falls under the law, but eventually he got freed after taking it to HD.

My earlier statements was a praise to a historical figure, a denial of a historical event. I don't see how it'd cause any problems at all.

There are some other cases that I think are a bit weird. I wonder if they'd get freed as Green if they brought it to HD.
    I suspect he was freed of all charges due to it falling under religious freedom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,991 Posts
    My main point is simply; no I don't think freedom of speech is as dead as you make it seem. Try China or North Korea, now that's a lack of freedom of speech.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,783 Posts
    Reading trough the law, don't really have any huge negativity towards it. Considering our own laws are much harsher in regards to this, so it won't actually do anything either.

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    8,250 Posts
    The EU shows it's true face yet again, surprising they are this open with their censorship now, though.

Quite frankly a disgusting attack on freedoms and human rights.
    You can pretty much say it has passed already, EU loves to infringe on human rights and freedoms of it's members, it has done it in the past, it does it now and it will continue to do so until the fascist organ is dissolved.
    We do not even have any free speech to begin in the EU, so it is still far more free than any European country.
    Seriously it's impossible for a news thread about the EU to not be shat on by you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,903 Posts
    I love this widespread opposition to holding people up to a higher standard. mhm

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Seriously it's impossible for a news thread about the EU to not be shat on by you.
    The EU touched his naughty place.

Edited:

Stranger Danger

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,845 Posts
    I don't recall a single time when an euroskepticist on facepunch managed to prove his point using verified information. Every single time it was something stupid like "EU wants to ban saying water doesn't help dehydration!" (some insight into that) or "EU bans bananas that are too bendy!" (which does sound stupid to be honest but it was really overblown), even though in most cases like that it was either just drafts or suggestions, not actual legislation put into place by the European Comission.

The EU has a fairly consistent record of consumer protection and privacy laws (that are sometimes a bit too much - see cookie law), and I have yet to see them doing anything terrible regarding freedom.

The fox, I honestly can't see what your beef with the EU is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,554 Posts
    Guess Turkey isn't going to join the EU.

(vi) Public approval or denial of any other act of genocide the existence of which has been determined by an international criminal court or tribunal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,338 Posts
    -You're all fucking dumb-
    So you're all going to ignore this so you can keep whinging about not being able to tell brown people they should be lynched?

Edited:

The fox, I honestly can't see what your beef with the EU is.
    He once called it a fascist organization there's no point trying to reason with him

19. Post #99
    CLICK HERE FOR THE NEW GDi!
    March 2013
    14,428 Posts
    Guess Turkey isn't going to join the EU.
    I'm sure they'll pull the whole relocation not genocide thing forever.