1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    Getting Started

First, look around and see if you have a router. A router is a small, usually blue, box connected to a internet modem. If you have a modem do this:

Go to the start menu and find the run button. When the prompt comes up type 'command' (without the 's), then click OK. Now type ipconfig and hit enter. Several lines of text come up. Look for the line that has 'Default Gateway' and copy what it says next to it into a new Internet Explorer (or, if you want, Fire Fox) window. Once the page loads look for a 'Virtual Servers' or 'Port Forwarding' link. Once the new page loads type 27016 (UDP) then press apply. Now you will need to restart your router by either unplugging it for 60 seconds or finding a small 'Reset' button usually found on the back of the router.

Also, you may need to disable your windows firewall / any other firewalls you have running at this time.

Starting the Server

Now that you have your computer set up to handle the listen server, start up Garry's Mod and click on the 'Create Server' button on the front menu. After the game has loaded you may need to type this in the console:

Code:
    sv_lan 0
    Usefull Commands

Now that you have your listen server set up and online you will need how to control it and it's players. The following are some good commands to remember. Remember, // means a comment.

Code:
    kick <username>
    // Kicks whoever's username you type in
    Code:
    addip <time> <ip>
    // This adds the IP address you entered to the ban list for the time you gave in minutes.
    // To find the IP address type 'status' in the console to find the user's IP.
    Code:
    status
    // Displays all users on your server, they UserID, SteamID, and IP address.
    Code:
    sv_cheats 1/0
    // Either turns cheats on or off. Cheats enable ent_fire commandd, noclip, ect.
    Code:
    gm_sv_clientlimit_props <number>
    // Changes the number of allowed things. In this case, props.
    // Props can be replaced with effects, spirites, ragdolls, ect.
    Code:
    gm_sv_allownoclip 1/0
    // Either makes it so noclip is disabled or enabled while cheats are off.
    Code:
    heartbeat
    // Gets your server on the server list instantly. It usually takes around 5 minutes.
    Admin Scripts

If you are like most people, you can always just use a handy admin script to memorize all these scripts for you. Here are a few scripts that I recommend.

Ulysses Mod - An excellent mod that allows you to do anything from freeze players to stop players spawning props. This is the most powerful admin mod out there due to it's ability to give players a certain level of 'access'.

Hunt's Mod Revamped - A simpler admin-menu to use than ULX, but with much less features. This mod only allows the host (you) to admin your server with just a click of the mouse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,067 Posts
    This should be stickie'd!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    328 Posts
    Thanks! This helped me a ton. I can finally ban those people who purposely change their name to Mingebag and spawn huge chimneys.

4. Post #4
    April 2006
    1 Posts
    Yay, a list a common knowledge! The only thing helpful on this list was the port forwarding. It's faster to type cmd instead of command in the Run box, though.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    619 Posts
    I shall now forward every port on my computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    Aaron, that isn't very smart because it's like opening a door to hackers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7

November 2005
    2 Posts
    I love you!!!

8. Post #8
    January 2006
    2 Posts
    My router says it requires a password, but no-one in my family knows what it is. Is there some default password to use? Or am I doomed for all eternity?

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured out the password. For all you Linksys users, the default username and password is admin admin. So anyway, I found the Port Forwarding link, but I don't know what to type and where. Help?

EDIT AGAIN: There's a button that sayd Port Triggering, and it has a chart thing like this : Application Name Trigger Port Range Incoming Port Range
    1: ____________ etc. etc.

I tried typing 27016 under Application Name and nothing happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    14 Posts
    Pretty useless too me.
    I can play my listen server fine without doing anything.

But good for those who can't.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    849 Posts
    The password thing comes up for me, but the username and pass is NOT admin admin. Would anyone know how to hack into that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11

July 2005
    5 Posts
    I have the same problem... What is the password or need I to do it on the admin computer?

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    Well, you guys set the password when you set up the router, so I guess your outa luck for now until you either find a way around it, or find out how to reset it (perhaps reinstall the drivers?).

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    183 Posts
    Nice tutorial huntskikbut, but I also got the same problem as Subhazardman.
    I have not set up a password for my router, but something weird happen'd. I can make listen server without Portforwarding. I don't know what, but one day I pressed create server and I see somone connects and I was like :O
    But I need the password for another game.

Edit:
    NeverMind I found it out :D

14. Post #14
    June 2005
    9 Posts
    Shadow_Neo posted:
    My router says it requires a password, but no-one in my family knows what it is. Is there some default password to use? Or am I doomed for all eternity?

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured out the password. For all you Linksys users, the default username and password is admin admin. So anyway, I found the Port Forwarding link, but I don't know what to type and where. Help?

EDIT AGAIN: There's a button that sayd Port Triggering, and it has a chart thing like this : Application Name Trigger Port Range Incoming Port Range

Okay i just got a linksys and bypassed it so i will walk you throught the steps.

Ok first you hit Applications & Gaming.Then you hit Port Range Forward. Now it will be bars like App:Type The name(ex:gmod9server) Then it will say Start in that box put 27016 and then End:Put 27016 Protocol:Hit the arrow and go down to UDP click it. Now for your IP if you have a static then enter it or your normal ip. I hope this was helpful!

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    619 Posts
    huntskikbut posted:
    Aaron, that isn't very smart because it's like opening a door to hackers.
    I know.

EDIT: I just made your thanks red. :lol:

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    :-D Thanks aaron lol

17. Post #17
    June 2005
    9 Posts
    Sometimes when a password thing comes up the username is admin and pass is blank. Other times username:nothing pass:admin.

18. Post #18
    October 2005
    1 Posts
    Shadow_Neo posted:

its usualy Default, admin, or the name of the router such as, linksys, or dlink.

19. Post #19
    December 2005
    9 Posts
    I unblocked the ports and tried to make my server, but it still wil not appear on the sever list. All my firewalls are off and I did the sv_lan thing. Nothing seems to be working, and I've been trying this for months.

20. Post #20

May 2006
    1 Posts
    Nice tutorial. If anyone is having trouble forwarding port 27016 for UDP, go to http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm . It has tutorials for how to port forward for most routers.

21. Post #21
    March 2006
    29 Posts
    Thanks Hunt /=0
    But my wireless don't support port forwarding =O

22. Post #22
    July 2005
    4 Posts
    sv_cheats is not a useful command! It let's people do so much to your computer.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    Actually, sv_cheats can't mess with your computer. It can mess with your server, but it can't mess with your computer. But lua on the other hand...

24. Post #24
    July 2005
    1 Posts
    The default login information for linksys routers is:
    USERNAME: "" (leave the username blank)
    PASSWORD: admin

Also, for linksys routers, you have to use "Port Range Forward". This can usually be found under the "Applications and Gaming" tab if you have the latest firmware. The latest firmware for linksys routers can be found here: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper.

Hope that helps.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    My default for linksys was Admin Admin.

26. Post #26

May 2006
    3 Posts
    hi this i very hard i have tryed this for over 2 months now i have a linksys rouder and i disabled and added the application and ports given here and at portforward.com neither have done anything accept to fustrate me and now all i get for a create server is a lan or steam id invalid which suchs, plz help my friend has the same rouder and he can do it but i cant. i went into the command prompt and typed in heartbeat sv_lan 0 nothin i even looked at the start up sequence were it sometimes says connection to steam servers succesful or failed to connect to steam servers this rely bothers me any help plz im not going to mess with my router that does not work!!!!!!!!!!! i just need to find our how to make the game accepted onto the server list not the lan list and no sv_lan 0 does not work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    Wow, you win the award for most smartness lost on accident ever.

28. Post #28
    March 2006
    1 Posts
    WaRxHeAd posted:
    Okay i just got a linksys and bypassed it so i will walk you throught the steps.

Ok first you hit Applications & Gaming.Then you hit Port Range Forward. Now it will be bars like App:Type The name(ex:gmod9server) Then it will say Start in that box put 27016 and then End:Put 27016 Protocol:Hit the arrow and go down to UDP click it. Now for your IP if you have a static then enter it or your normal ip. I hope this was helpful!
    Ehh, well i sure hope you come back to reply but it said it can`t have charicters so on ex:gmod9server i guess the : is a charicter, i`m trying it with out the ex: part but i`m not sure how its going to work, i just click apply and it`s loading something and after about 4 minutes now its only half way and seems to be frozen but i`ll let it sit for a bit more, please help me of you can.

EDIT: well, it didn`t work but then again i got NetGear.

29. Post #29
    This would remove anything stoping hackers from getting at my comp right?

30. Post #30
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Still not working for me. Turned off firewall, opened the ports, added sv_lan 1 to game.cfg then typed sv_lan 0 when server starts, typed heartbeat in console, but it still won't show up. So, what am I doing wrong?

31. Post #31
    August 2005
    3 Posts
    I've done this before and it worked, but my dad got pissed because I opened up his computer to hackers. So no more of my server. Haha!

32. Post #32
    November 2005
    1 Posts
    Can somebody please just make a tutorial for linksys cause i have tried hundreds of sites to see what they say and i have tried everything bloody thing on my linksys system thing... I have done everything all of you guys have said 2, and nothing is working, so Explain it in DETAIL for linksys please...

33. Post #33
    December 2005
    9 Posts
    Wizza posted:
    Can somebody please just make a tutorial for linksys cause i have tried hundreds of sites to see what they say and i have tried everything bloody thing on my linksys system thing... I have done everything all of you guys have said 2, and nothing is working, so Explain it in DETAIL for linksys please...
    Same here, I have tried everyting I know(including the stuff in this tread).

34. Post #34
    Ban me if I have a NWS avatar
    January 2006
    600 Posts
    It asks for a username and password when a type my default gatweway into my browser..

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,264 Posts
    Where is the link for port fowarding. i have netgear.

36. Post #36

December 2005
    1 Posts
    I don't know what is wrong before it was working fine but now it does now show up on the list of internet servers

37. Post #37
    June 2005
    810 Posts
    Just out of curiosity has anybody ever got steam to work with a wireless network?

38. Post #38

June 2006
    1 Posts
    For those who need help getting into their router....Reset it , then the pass and username will be reset :) enjoy!

39. Post #39

November 2005
    2 Posts
    WaRxHeAd posted:

Ok I did exactly this and saved my settings to my router. heres the thing. i go to start a server and it doesn't show up on the enternet list. but if i enter the ip in my favorites then it shows up in my favorites list. sv_lan is 0 and i hit heardbeat. it still isn't working. Please help!

40. Post #40
    January 2006
    2 Posts
    WaRxHeAd posted:

ok, i am having the same problem as above, i can't get this to work, it doesn't show up on the internet list, but it shows up on my lan list. I entered heartbeat sv_lan 0, sv_lan 0 heartbeat, almost all the combinations you can imagine, and nothing worked. someone help, please! I am using a linksys wireless internet adapter. My router is on another computer.