1. Post #1
    November 2012
    337 Posts

Read the whole op before downloading anything. If you read the previous op please re-read this one.

Okay. So. Lot has changed.

This is a project I've been working on for a full year now. The basis of this act being on converting the dota2 heroes from the customhero shader to the vertexlit shader along with an increase in texture quality and the repairs of artifacts. For six months at the time of writing has a release of previous versions taken place. As of now the first batch of map props and creeps has been released along with significant changes to almost every released hero.

That's why the links were dead. Stop complaining now.

These should be kept in the sfm mind you. Other builds of source have a few incompatibilities between shaders not shared with the sfm.

These are not perfect. The customhero shader can still do quite a bit I cannot:
    -warping colours on a grazing angle (diffusewarping)
    -per pixel shift in diffusewarp
    -tinted rimlights
    -proper fresnelwarping

Almost every download will contain entirely new textures for a hero. In most cases these are 4 times the ingame resolution. Said textures included are most commonly a materialfile, a basetexture (alternatively a bitmap), A phongexponent mask (dubbed mask2), and finally a normalmap (properly a bumpmap). Now a note anyone new should know about using my edits; these are extremely expensive in both memory and performance during editing. I highly recommend saving often and having few loaded at once. Alternatively you can just rename their material folder/have dummy materials to switch out during editing as to remove lag.

Just like last time:
    Installing requires either dota 2 to be mounted or (preferable option with heroes in particular) having the assets extracted directly into usermod. These will overwrite your default. As long as how you install these take priority over your previous they should work correctly.
    Each download contains the hero's name relative to material folder with a few cases of an extension. Because of this it would be best to find said heroes folder directly and merge the contents with the download overwriting the existing.
    Usermod method has hero materials located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\ usermod\materials\Models\heroes\*heroname*\
    Merge. Done.

Take note that any hero that I had to do some model edits on will instead give you the path for materials and models. You can most likely guess what to do then.

List of possible errors.

"Help, my *part of hero* is purple and black!"
    There are two ways this can occur.
    1. Purple and black with normal and phong working as expected. Example. These are a problem unique to specific dota 2 models. Fixing them is easy by simply finding said models basetexture of commonly the same name then exporting and importing with an alpha. Alphas raise memory but are sometimes required for reasons unknown.
    Don't know what to do? Take a look at this post.
    2. Just purple and black. No normal or phong. This is cause by either the material being renamed or removed altogether. Check your hero folder for duplicate materials files to see if the originals were overwritten.

"Help, my *part of and/or all of hero* is covered in white checkered squares!"
    Either by accident or simply because of different filenames a phongexponent mask may not be reference in a hero's material file. An example would be a hero's exponent mask being named hero_body_mask2.vtf with the material file having:
    "$phongexponenttexture" "models\heroes\heroname\hero_body_masks2"
    Typo being mask2 on the filename. In this case you could fix it by having the material reference the current texture or rename the texture to match the material file. As long as the material is reference the problem should be solved.

"Help, my *part of and/or all of hero* is lighting oddly from a few angles!"
    Valve usually bakes their normals in 3ds max. while source uses the same method of normalmapping it does not use the same normalmaps. Unusual lighting and shadows is usually caused by the green colour channel of the normal being 'inverted' in source but perfectly normal in 3ds max since it was baked from max' normal method. Fixing this problem can be hinted in the explination. Invert the green channel of the normal and import it back with it's alpha intact. Gimp can cause some problems here apparently so i wouldn't recommend using it.

"Help, my *hero* is either A. glowing all over or B. really really shiny!"
    Post here about it. Hero and engine specific problem.

"Help, *misc*"
    Again post here about it. I'm only human and errors will happen.

"Hey. can you do *community cosmetic*"
    I will not be supplying community cosmetics for sfm for a few reasons (I should specify. I really want to supply community cosmetics but due to how questionably legal that is I cannot). But don't lose hope just yet; I wrote a tutorial specifically with community cosmetics in mind! you can find it in the link below.
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1246616
    Granted it's extremely outdated; but it should get the job done. Alternatively you could do what NikouT did and try the following
    extracted resources from Dota 2 .vpk file to SFM and created a new folder in sourcefilmmaker/game folder that contains models, materials etc folders from dota2, altough downloaded VertexLitGeneric prepared shaders for heroes at *currenthread* made by blueflytrap998 , then I used his shaders to make cosmetic items work good with lighting, like here on helmet, vest and pants.
    To put it bluntly he copied the material parameters after changing around a few of the mask. It works well enough. That's how the ingame importer makes most materials.

And now for the map portion of the op. Loads of changes here if you're used to using the map itself.

These changes will absolutely decimate lightmaps. It will look extremely odd. Even more unusual than before.
    And there is nothing I can do about it.

I could write quite a lengths explaining why I can't do much about it. You don't need to know and you shouldn't ask.

So. On to the changes themselves
    Every single map prop ,with the exception of trees and spring 2014, have been given the effects proper to what occurs ingame to the best of my ability. This includes a few edits to some models to repair their smoothing groups an animations. It's not possible for quite a few of them to get a perfect ingame appearance. They are close though.
    Close as in they work most of the time.

Oooooh yes there are errors. Tons of them. The maps themselves are buggy as hell and these were made to work on all of them. Perhaps in the near future Frable and I may be able to cobble together a map tailored specifically for everything to work.
    Let me walk you through all the shit that will happen.
    -first off we have all those fancy additive/detail models sitting about the map. they're fine on their own; and somehow either become opaque or invisible from certain camera angles. There is absolutely no reason for this. It just happens.
    -Then we have the previously mentioned lightmaps. props can either be pure black or fully lit now along with jarring transitions between a prop and a shadow. Not that these didn't exist before; I just made them worse.
    -If you're using the darkmap be prepared for some dumb looking glow on some props.
    -hope you like water.

And just because you actually read the op I assume you should know the map prop download doesn't just contain, well, map props. All creeps but the jungle neutral creeps plus a shit-ton of unused/gameplay related items and props are included as well. I'll leave you to discover what exactly those are.

-Note to previous users. Damn near everything you had previously changed. I highly recommend re-downloading heroes not mentioned in the update post.
    Regularly these would be put in the resource thread if not for the total amount of heroes being quite large and would create unnecessary clutter paired with what will be an updating list.
    The list works like this:

-Names with links are available for download.
    -Names on the list without a link can be uploaded on request.
    -Names not on the list are missing for a variety of reasons such as not being satisfactory to outright broken. Some are just unfinished at this time. Eventually they may be added.
    -Names tagged with 'older model' will likely included the older model itself

Abaddon (not animated)
    Alchemist
    Antimage
    Axe
    Batrider
    Bounty Hunter
    Bristleback (alternate update for the old sfmbox version. rip)
    Broodmother
    Centaur
    Chaos_Knight
    Chen
    Clinkz
    Clockwerk
    Crystal Maiden
    Death Prophet
    Disruptor
    Doom
    Dragon Knight
    Drow
    Earth Spirit
    Earthshaker
    Elder Titan
    Ember Spirit
    Enchantress
    Faceless Void
    Gyrocopter
    Huskar
    Invoker
    Invoker (older model)
    Juggernaut
    Keeper Of The Light
    Kunkka
    Legion Commander
    Leshrac
    Lich
    Life Stealer
    Lina
    Lion
    Lone Druid
    Luna
    Luna (older model)
    Lycanthrope
    Naga Siren
    Natures Prophet
    Medusa
    Meepo
    Meepo
    Meepo
    Meepo
    Mirana
    Necrophos
    Outworld Devourer
    Ogre Magi
    Omniknight
    Omniknight (blue)
    Pedestal
    Phantom Assassin (still uses old head. Forgot to include it)
    Phantom Lancer
    Puck
    Pudge
    Pudge (older model)
    Pugna
    Queen Of Pain
    Razor
    Riki
    Rubick
    Sand King
    Shadow Shaman
    Skeleton King (tomorrow)
    Silencer
    Silencer (red)
    Skywrath Mage
    Slardar
    Slark
    Sniper
    Spectre
    Spirit Breaker
    Storm Spirit
    Sven
    Templar Assassin
    Tidehunter
    Tusk
    Ursa
    Vengeful Spirit
    Warlock
    Weaver
    Windrepublican
    Witchdoctor
    Wraith King

Roshan

Low res versions I just to happen to have up (subject to change)

Ancient Apparition
    Nightstalker
    Undying
    Visage

Something

Demon Edge

Map props

Release1 (don't you dare try downloading without reading the op)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner x 23Artistic x 2Friendly x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

August 2012
    504 Posts
    I used to be down on Dota SFM because of the quality of the textures. No longer!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2012
    14 Posts
    Oh, excellent, SFM Roshan. Could you upload his stuff? Thank you!

4. Post #4
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Oh, excellent, SFM Roshan. Could you upload his stuff? Thank you!
    Funny how Rosh works. he has his regular model which is all fine and dandy; and then you have this extremely large both size and poly wise Rosh just sitting in the same folder.

Like really big.

It also came with slightly higher resolution textures with a matching uv. Guess I could toss it on the regular Rosh to

edit: Rosh up. Check the op.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2013
    899 Posts
    Hey there, not to bother you much but IŽd need the use of Razor if that is possible.

6. Post #6
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Hey there, not to bother you much but IŽd need the use of Razor if that is possible.
    Razor up. Check the op.

I will admit he looks a little odd without his ingame lightning. Animating it with frames resulted in a 4 gig checkered torso.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    85 Posts
    Is the lone druid plus bear going to be available any time in the future?

8. Post #8

August 2012
    504 Posts
    Thanks again for this man! One little thing I found with Earthshaker:

I think $nocull needs to be added to the belt so it's visible from the underside:

9. Post #9
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Thanks again for this man! One little thing I found with Earthshaker:

I think $nocull needs to be added to the belt so it's visible from the underside:

I tent to avoid adding $nocull to models with rimlights. Because while it doesn't always happen I have run into what I'll call backlight.

Now that I think about it I've came across some pretty crazy stuff working on these. Anyone remember spheremapping? That happened at one point.

Also lone druid is up. It's a mirror of an update for Shinji and my lone druid port. If there's any errors let me know sooner rather than later.

10. Post #10
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,421 Posts
    Funny how Rosh works. he has his regular model which is all fine and dandy; and then you have this extremely large both size and poly wise Rosh just sitting in the same folder.

Like really big.

It also came with slightly higher resolution textures with a matching uv. Guess I could toss it on the regular Rosh to

edit: Rosh up. Check the op.
    I guess that's the model they used in the films.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11

August 2012
    504 Posts
    Hmm noted about the $nocull thing, now how do I make him less shiny haha.

12. Post #12
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Hmm noted about the $nocull thing, now how do I make him less shiny haha.

Looks like you accidentally turned off bumpmaps. Is this the model viewer or the sfm itself?

hmm not sure how I would of done that, I didn't modify the .vmt's other than adding nocull to his belt (which isn't in this shot). This is in black void with 2 lights.
    Check his material file. It should look like this:
    Code:
    "vertexlitgeneric"
    {
    	$baseTexture "models/heroes/earthshaker/earthshaker_color"
    	$bumpmap "models/heroes/earthshaker/earthshaker_normal"

"$halflambert" "0"
    	"$phongfresnelranges"	"[0.3 0.5 0.7]"

"$PhongAlbedoTint" "1"
    	"$phongexponenttexture" "models/heroes/earthshaker/earthshaker_mask2"

$lightwarptexture "models/heroes/windrunner/windrunner_lightwarp"

"$selfillum"	"1"
    	"$selfIllumFresnel"	"1"
    	"$selfIllumFresnelMinMaxExp"	"[1 2.5 0]"
    	"$selfillumtint"	"[1.1 1.1 1.1]"

"$rimmask"	"1"
    	"$rimlight" "1"
    	"$rimlightexponent" "5"
    	"$rimlightboost" "2"	

"$phong"				"1"
    	"$phongboost"			"7.2"

13. Post #13

August 2012
    504 Posts
    Damn you were right, it was his bumpmaps, he looks glorious now:

I must of done that somehow when I was copying files back and forth trying to figure out why it wasn't working before. Sorry to have taken up your time!

14. Post #14
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Damn you were right, it was his bumpmaps, he looks glorious now:

I must of done that somehow when I was copying files back and forth trying to figure out why it wasn't working before. Sorry to have taken up your time!
    Relax. I'm sure I screwed up at somepoint given just how many of these there are and how often I do so.

Like this for example

Woah shit they updated sniper's resources. Guess I know what I'm doing today.

15. Post #15
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Sniper's resources were updated only hours ago. So naturally I'd try my hand at how fast I can finish one of these.

Anyway snipers up. Check the op.
    Looks good to boot.

I've already spammed this everywhere but I figured I should post it here too for posterity's sake:

I've made sure to credit you for the texture work as well as a link to this thread.

Thanks again!

...Man it's too bad valve hasn't released the high-res textures for the couriers.
    They supplied a ward texture but I don't know which one it's for; if any.
    I could also go swimming around in the game files to see if there's anything else of value. There's a 'sfm' dire ancient in there but it's just a taller version of the regular one.

Valve also has some highpoly heroes they made for the release poster and for a short at the international. qop has some interesting wings on hers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,331 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17

August 2012
    504 Posts
    I've already spammed this everywhere but I figured I should post it here too for posterity's sake:

I've made sure to credit you for the texture work as well as a link to this thread.

Thanks again!

...Man it's too bad valve hasn't released the high-res textures for the couriers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Small update today. Added five more heroes to the list.
    They're windrunner, slardar, weaver, spectre and nyx.

Nyx is pretty important. Not only is he/she the whole reason I started making these; it was also the source of an extremely interesting bug. I'm using a phongwarp error to get the diffuse looking somewhat right. As far as I know I'm the only person to use it.

To put it simply; it warps the highlight relative to camera and not the light source and also changes dramatically based on fresnel ranges. It's also a 2d warp so it pretty much turns what you have into a sphere.
    I have no idea how it works aside from that; but hey it looks cool so let's go with it.

Also Antimage is the most popular download so far followed by Bounty Hunter and finally Roshan. I'm extremely curious what that's going to amount to.

Found the courier resource. Has a pretty diffuse for the radiant only.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

19. Post #19

August 2012
    504 Posts
    This is epic man! Keep it up!

20. Post #20
    May 2012
    131 Posts
    Also Antimage is the most popular download so far followed by Bounty Hunter and finally Roshan. I'm extremely curious what that's going to amount to.
    Antimage because he's first in the alphabet. Roshan because his epicly huge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2012
    29 Posts
    "Help, my *part of hero* is purple and black!"
    There are two ways this can occur.
    1. Purple and black with normal and phong working as expected. Example. These are a problem unique to specific dota 2 models. Fixing them is easy by simply finding said models basetexture of commonly the same name then exporting and importing with an alpha. Alphas raise memory but are sometimes required for reasons unknown.
    Hello, I ran into exactly this error with multiple hero parts on Queen of Pain model. Not sure if Im being stupid but I have no idea what exactly and how im supposed to export with an alpha.

Anyone could lend a hand ?

22. Post #22
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Hello, I ran into exactly this error with multiple hero parts on Queen of Pain model. Not sure if Im being stupid but I have no idea what exactly and how im supposed to export with an alpha.

Anyone could lend a hand ?
    You'll need a vtf editor that can modify said vtf. Nem's vtfedit works nicely for this.

All you need to do is open the basetexture of just those hero parts and export what's inside. Doesn't matter where you put it so long as you can find them again. They will be tga which you most likely won't be able to preview in that state.

Then with the editor open import any of those textures with the normal and alpha format set to BGRA8888.
    I also like to untick generate minimaps to the right of that.

Select ok and you should have you texture in the preview box and a whole bunch of tickable settings to the left. Eight bit alpha should be automatically ticked at this point. Tick no minimap and no level of detail if not already.
    Save over the original you were having trouble with and you should be done. Make sure to overwrite the texture and not the material file.

Oh come on guys show some love for Slardar and Spectre.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2012
    29 Posts
    Works like a charm, thanks for taking the time to explain it :)

24. Post #24

August 2013
    9 Posts
    Thanks a lot! Great stuff!

25. Post #25

August 2012
    504 Posts
    I'm curious whats your opinion on the Tidehunter textures, I noticed it wasn't in your list.

26. Post #26
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    I'm curious whats your opinion on the Tidehunter textures, I noticed it wasn't in your list.
    It's simple really. I haven't gotten to tidehunter yet.

Busy working on a hybrid model for Axe at the moment.

Cool, as long as he isn't horribly broken or something haha.
    Too bad Axe is.

27. Post #27

August 2012
    504 Posts
    It's simple really. I haven't gotten to tidehunter yet.

Busy working on a hybrid model for Axe at the moment.
    Cool, as long as he isn't horribly broken or something haha.

Edited:

Too bad Axe is.
    Oh really? He's quite a popular character too...

28. Post #28
    November 2011
    3,089 Posts
    I'm not quite sure what's going on with Rubick here. I was doing comparison shots to see what certain models look like with and without this stuff. Antimage looks fine, but Rubick.

Rubick has grown another face on his chest.

No idea why either.. It seems like the body texture was made for a time when himself and his head were one model rather than separate pieces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    I'm not quite sure what's going on with Rubick here. I was doing comparison shots to see what certain models look like with and without this stuff. Antimage looks fine, but Rubick.

Rubick has grown another face on his chest.

No idea why either.. It seems like the body texture was made for a time when himself and his head were one model rather than separate pieces.
    It's possible the model itself was changed between the time I finished Rubick and released him. If you would like I can put up his older model at the cost of being locked to his default head.

-snip nevermind

30. Post #30
    November 2011
    3,089 Posts
    It's possible the model itself was changed between the time I finished Rubick and released him. If you would like I can put up his older model at the cost of being locked to his default head.

Also you didn't extract the dota 2 cubemaps judging by his shoulders.
    I'm guessing that is the case. If you can get his old model put up I'd like that.

And there are a few other problems I've got to fix up (Yay Purple checkerboards), it's just this one that I really didn't know what to make of.

31. Post #31
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    I'm guessing that is the case. If you can get his old model put up I'd like that.

And there are a few other problems I've got to fix up (Yay Purple checkerboards), it's just this one that I really didn't know what to make of.
    Here's the model. Hope you like the default head.

Now a question for you because I think I may have screwed up. In Rubicks material folder do you see a vtf under the name of rubick_shoulder_ill?

32. Post #32
    November 2011
    3,089 Posts
    Here's the model. Hope you like the default head.

Now a question for you because I think I may have screwed up. In Rubicks material folder do you see a vtf under the name of rubick_shoulder_ill?
    Thanks!

And yeah, that's in there.

33. Post #33
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Thanks!

And yeah, that's in there.
    Alright the checkers are most likely caused by an incorrect path to the mentioned texture. If you can get it correctly referenced it may fix your problem.

This one controls the illumination on the shoulders. It needed it's own file since an envmap is present.
    Sfm only issue. It's the other way around for most source games.

34. Post #34
    November 2011
    3,089 Posts
    Alright the checkers are most likely caused by an incorrect path to the mentioned texture. If you can get it correctly referenced it may fix your problem.

This one controls the illumination on the shoulders. It needed it's own file since an envmap is present.
    Sfm only issue. It's the other way around for most source games.
    The lighting on the shoulders looks better in SFM, although it doesn't seem to exist in that screenshot I took, does it. It's been a while since I've messed with SFM so I probably just made some silly mistake when rendering the poster.

Edited:

I should ask to be sure, is the correct way to do this:

blueflytrap posted:
    To open the offending basetexture in VTFEdit, export it as a .tga, then immediately import it but set the "Normal Format" to DXT5 and save? I just did that and it seems to have fixed my problem with the robe, but I'd like to make sure there wasn't another step or that it's not completely by chance that worked for me.

35. Post #35
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    I should ask to be sure, is the correct way to do this:

To open the offending basetexture in VTFEdit, export it as a .tga, then immediately import it but set the "Normal Format" to DXT5 and save? I just did that and it seems to have fixed my problem with the robe, but I'd like to make sure there wasn't another step or that it's not completely by chance that worked for me.
    A few post up I put a little guide for those not equipped with the means to do so.
    Doesn't matter what you import as as long as there's a base alpha; though I prefer BGRA8888. I have no way of knowing which models are affected which is why most, if not all, can have this issue.

Removing the alpha in the first place lowers the files size which I like when uploading.

36. Post #36
    November 2011
    3,089 Posts
    A few post up I put a little guide for those not equipped with the means to do so.
    Doesn't matter what you import as as long as there's a base alpha; though I prefer BGRA8888. I have no way of knowing which models are affected which is why most, if not all, can have this issue.

Removing the alpha in the first place lowers the files size which I like when uploading.
    Guess I should have looked through the thread to check on that one, good to know. Thanks again!

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,202 Posts

Is Invoker's hair not uv mapped correctly/his hair texture outdated or am I crazy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    November 2012
    337 Posts
    Is Invoker's hair not uv mapped correctly/his hair texture outdated or am I crazy?
    It seems today is not my day for model updates is it.
    Although I have no idea why they updated his hair. All they did is twist that end of the uv.

Here. Pre random update hair model. On sale for a quarter of the price.

But really. Why did they change that?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,202 Posts
    thanks mate

yeah who knows

40. Post #40
    Source Engine Optometrist!
    June 2010
    1,478 Posts
    WIP video @BlueFlytrap added you on steam need to ask a few things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)