1. Post #1

November 2012
    106 Posts
    Hello, so I did a build for my friend who now currently has an EVGA 660 ti 2 GB, and he loves it. But today he told me that he "Wants higher performance" so he is planning to upgrade. Would it be better for him to get another 660 ti, and do SLI, or just get rid of his current 660 ti and get a 770 instead? (Also would his Antec EarthWatts Green 650 Watt be enough to power 660 ti SLI? Or would he need to upgrade his PSU as well?)

By the way, should I have posted this in the PC building section?

2. Post #2
    Swaggon owner
    August 2011
    4,785 Posts
    I think it would be pushing it to have a tri-SLI configuration with a 650W power supply.

While you may get more performance out of a ti-SLI system, you have got to factor in not every game will utilize the SLI, whereas any game will utilize a single GPU configuration.

I recently moved from crossfired AMD Radeon 6970s to a GTX 770 and I am extremely happy with my purchase, it runs everything maxed out at an easily playable frame rate. It's up to your friend how much he wants to spend and what he wants to do. He could, in future, also SLI his GTX 770 to get even more performance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member

April 2011
    1,969 Posts
    I think it would be pushing it to have a tri-SLI configuration with a 650W power supply.

While you may get more performance out of a ti-SLI system, you have got to factor in not every game will utilize the SLI, whereas any game will utilize a single GPU configuration.

I recently moved from crossfired AMD Radeon 6970s to a GTX 770 and I am extremely happy with my purchase, it runs everything maxed out at an easily playable frame rate. It's up to your friend how much he wants to spend and what he wants to do. He could, in future, also SLI his GTX 770 to get even more performance.
    Wh...where did you get triple-SLI from?

I would recommend getting the 770 because it's a single chip and a lot more powerful than a single 660ti. The SLI might be better in certain games based on framerate, but some won't take advantage of the second card, most(if not all) will lose fluidity and some games will lose FPS and fluidity from SLI.

Recommended brands are gainward(their phantom cooling is amazing) or EVGA(their customer support is amazing alongside their build quality)

goddamnit cloudflare ate my post   

Edited:

Plus there's the risk of too much power consumption with two SLI 660ti's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts
    What's your friends CPU? It's possible that's limiting his performance more than the GPU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Viking Member
    November 2008
    5,438 Posts
    Wh...where did you get triple-SLI from?
    GTX 660s don't even support 3-way SLI.

Here's some food for thought,

I'm currently running two GTX 660s in SLI and I have not ran into any problems with the SLI. There's something called microstuttering though, but vertical-sync effectively pretty much eliminates that.

Bear in mind that two 660 ti's will probably be more powerful than a single 770. In benchmarks two 660 non-ti's in SLI even beat the 680.

Personally, if I were to upgrade from my dual 660s, I would aim for a 3-way 760 setup. Unlike the 660s the 760s actually support 3-way SLI.

I've also read that 3-way (or 4-way) SLI also completely removes any possible microstuttering problems.

Edited:

So you'll have to decide if you want to invest for future upgrades (In which case you'll go for a 760 or a 770) or if you just want a big bang for a small buck today (660ti SLI setup).

Edited:

Actually it looks like the TI version supports 3-way unlike the non-ti version. So if you go for another 660 today, you can go for a third card later, but it will require you to spend cash on a more powerful PSU and maybe even a new motherboard if current one does not support 3 cards.

So if you're certain you won't go for a 3-way setup, I would probably aim for the 700 series.

6. Post #6

November 2012
    106 Posts
    What's your friends CPU? It's possible that's limiting his performance more than the GPU.
    He has an i7 3770k
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    I have sli'd/cf'd almost every single card I have had in the past 5 years and have had no issues.

The 660s will be better and cheaper. Really up to him if he wants to spend the extra money for a loss in performance.

GTX 770 @ bf3

SLI 660s @ bf3

8. Post #8
    Swaggon owner
    August 2011
    4,785 Posts
    I'm so sorry, I really shouldn't be posting at 3am, saw the TI and thought you were saying tri-sli. Now that I have gotten some sleep, I noticed the mistake.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,477 Posts
    I have sli'd/cf'd almost every single card I have had in the past 5 years and have had no issues.

The 660s will be better and cheaper. Really up to him if he wants to spend the extra money for a loss in performance.

GTX 770 @ bf3

SLI 660s @ bf3
    SLI has lesser issues with stuttering than CFX but I wouldn't really rely on average framerates to tell me how fluid my performance will be on any multi card setup. Frame time graphs show how fluid a game will end up running, since it helps show to what degree there can be those little stutters which can impact the experience. Obviously this isn't for the 660 SLI setup, but for example.

That being said, I agree with going with 660 SLI. Just make sure your PSU has sufficient wattage for the cards, and I don't mean by just checking what it says it puts out on the box.