1. Post #1
    Local baseball rapist
    February 2012
    1,397 Posts
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/source-sdk-2013
    The source for this new SDK release includes the latest code for all the included games, and has many new features:
    The games now build and run clients on Windows, OSX, and Linux. Dedicated servers are supported on Windows and Linux.
    Steam Pipe (the new Steam content delivery system) is supported by the sample mods. Existing mods can change their gameinfo.txt to match the new format and gain Steam Pipe support.
    Support for Virtual Reality via the Oculus Rift has been added to the SDK. Running a compatible mod with -vr on the command line will run the mod in stereo and enable head tracking on the Rift.
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/10962
    Now to wait for Source 2

Eat that ValveTime. You're the ones who are late this time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner x 22Informative x 7Late x 5Funny x 3Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Lev

June 2013
    110 Posts
    oh snap. take that @testinglol - I told you something big was happening today.

BTW, it's hosted on github - GOOD FOR YOU VALVE

In the README they refer to this as "Source 1 SDK." It's interesting that they feel they need to make the distinction between Source 1 and 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Local baseball rapist
    February 2012
    1,397 Posts
    oh snap. take that testinglol - I told you something big was happening today.

this is epic
    This isn't epic. This is just the beginning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Praise The Sun
    April 2011
    533 Posts
    oh boi!
    Better Hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,006 Posts
    oh boi!
    Better Hammer.
    no it's not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2011
    204 Posts
    It's still Orange box, it's just that valve doesn't want to have a bunch of authoring tools, and their SDK structure is turning into the way it actually is when you license a Source game. Everything is located in the bin of the game dir instead of being a separate game altogether, i.e: a SDK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    999 Posts
    Exciting news, means mods now have a wider audience. Also, rift.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    June 2008
    486 Posts
    oh snap. take that @testinglol - I told you something big was happening today.

BTW, it's hosted on github - GOOD FOR YOU VALVE

In the README they refer to this as "Source 1 SDK." It's interesting that they feel they need to make the distinction between Source 1 and 2.
    They've already made this distinction a couple of months ago in their bug tracker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2012
    649 Posts
    Hey guys, I'm wondering if this new SDK will work with Portal mods and other content-only mods. I loaded up my mod today and got this error:

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,671 Posts
    I still want to believe. Half Life 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    June 2013
    53 Posts
    I still want to believe. Half Life 3
    They'll release it when they feel like it

whenever that might be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2012
    1,140 Posts
    So, wait: does this mean Mac and Linux users can play mods now, or does this open up development tools to Mac and Linux users?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    So, wait: does this mean Mac and Linux users can play mods now, or does this open up development tools to Mac and Linux users?
    Mods will need to be re-compiled for Mac and Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2010
    289 Posts
    The time has come, get ready now! It's time to fix everything this broke or is gonna break!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2011
    345 Posts
    Now we can see source sdk 2013 singleplayer and multiplayer in Steam Tools section

16. Post #16
    June 2012
    649 Posts
    Hey if you're making a Portal or other content-only mod, copy the "FileSystem" section of the gameinfo.txt file from one of the example mods in this link. Your mod will now work with Steampipe and presumably Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2010
    1,460 Posts
    So, how do we port our mods from source 2007 to source 2013?

18. Post #18
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,915 Posts
    I've compiled everything, but when i start my mod it runs in dx8, and with no dynamic shadows.

Why's this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,912 Posts
    I've compiled everything, but when i start my mod it runs in dx8, and with no dynamic shadows.

Why's this?
    my portal does it too.
    Just type -dxlevel 90 in the launch settings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,915 Posts
    my portal does it too.
    Just type -dxlevel 90 in the launch settings
    haven't used that command in a while

though, how am i going to distribute it with this?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,912 Posts
    haven't used that command in a while

though, how am i going to distribute it with this?
    sadly, I guess we're gonna have to wait for a patch for it :(

tho there was a console command for it, I don't remember what it was...

22. Post #22
    August 2010
    289 Posts
    So, how do we port our mods from source 2007 to source 2013?
    I'm guessing you would need to start a new solution and re-add the files. If you just added new stuff to HL2, this should not be a big deal, but if you've made engine changes and removed 90% of HL2 like me, well I think I got bad news. Still unsure tho as I'm downloading the SP SDK.

23. Post #23
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,915 Posts
    Hammer seem to be completely broken with steampipe...

24. Post #24
    November 2010
    1,460 Posts
    While reading the news post, it seems that SteamPipe is easy to add.

Just modify the gameinfo.txt.

Of course I don't know if this is true or if it works.

25. Post #25
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,915 Posts
    While reading the news post, it seems that SteamPipe is easy to add.

Just modify the gameinfo.txt.

Of course I don't know if this is true or if it works.
    well duh, but how? i used the template that came with it

Edited:

almost there, now to somehow fix this

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    1,389 Posts
    So.. does this mean valve will keep it updated this time, since it's on github?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,376 Posts
    I'm not exactly sure what this means for people like me who have mods in development on the orangebox engine. Will I have to redownload the code, reintegrate all of my changed code, compile it differently, etc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    1,389 Posts
    I'm not exactly sure what this means for people like me who have mods in development on the orangebox engine. Will I have to redownload the code, reintegrate all of my changed code, compile it differently, etc?
    You should just be able to include the new SDK into your project.

29. Post #29
    August 2010
    289 Posts
    This is the part I'm scratching my head about. You can fix old mods to read vpks, but the mods where compiled to use the SDK Base 2007. With the new solution, you need Visual Studio 2010 SP1, and the mod supports more features and takes advantage of modern hardware more then the 2007 engine does. (Multicore Rendering, Hydra Support, Rift Support, etc.) I will be rebuilding my mod using the new template to make sure my mod has full benefits of the new base.

Also, do we have to connect to Github, or will that act as a beta release before they send the update live via steam?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    This isn't epic. This is just the beginning.
    Epicness Begins

The Dark Epicness

The Dark Epicness Rises

Me gusta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2011
    345 Posts
    so this is the same engine than orange box...

wow thank you valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Bonk Boy! NaNaNaNaNa...
    July 2006
    865 Posts
    So this doesn't contain the sdk tools? (hlmv, hammer...)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    So this doesn't contain the sdk tools? (hlmv, hammer...)
    Source SDK 2013 Release

We have released an update to the Source SDK, bringing support for Mac OS X and Linux to mod developers and exposing the ability for virtual reality support in your mod.

The other change with the Source SDK is that now Hammer and the other mod tools ship with their respective games instead of as part of the SDK Launcher. The launcher itself is being phased out, so it will disappear from your Tools list.
    Gabe says "no".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2011
    345 Posts
    Gabe says "no".
    prepare for authoring tools crap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,998 Posts
    It's still Orange box, it's just that valve doesn't want to have a bunch of authoring tools, and their SDK structure is turning into the way it actually is when you license a Source game. Everything is located in the bin of the game dir instead of being a separate game altogether, i.e: a SDK
    It'd be great if we had an updated GUI like StudioCompiler or GUIStudioMDL that incorporates the new directories and file structures. Dragging and dropping onto exe's is a bore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    It'd be great if we had an updated GUI like StudioCompiler or GUIStudioMDL that makes using the model compiler less annoying.
    But that wouldn't be valve-quality tool then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,482 Posts
    Does this mean that the Alien Swarm SDK is actually worse than the 2013 version of the OB sdk (at least in some aspects)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2010
    289 Posts
    Does this mean that the Alien Swarm SDK is actually worse than the 2013 version of the OB sdk (at least in some aspects)?
    Well, when I booted the TF2 tools (since this is still downloading from last night), I found that the numbers still had Parkinson's disease, the cursor was broken, and the models showed the checkerboard in the 2d viewports and wireframe mode. If anyone has a fix for the last one, let me know! I fear that the new SDK hammer looks like this too. :(

In Alien Swarm, the numbers look fine, and everything handles fine. It's just that the material browser crashes and the program will crash when it is 'over-loaded'. It's sad to see the Source SDK go, I can't brag about my 7,000 hours anymore but hopefully when this finishes, it will be a new start on Source modding. I spoke with people last night about it and they were having trouble getting it to run, so I would need to talk to a few people first. I was gonna keep using 2007 tools, but it seems that Valve may pull it when this is all set and ready to go. After all, 90% of it is useless. (minus the SDK Base 2007 stuff, that still works).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    January 2013
    2,604 Posts
    I did a entity dump on the source 2013 single player base.

There are some odd entitys but that's it.

http://pastebin.com/uTPFmr39
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    That's what our programmer is trying to find out for SourceForts 2