1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    I'm currently in the process of creating a wiki for Rust. Currently, I have some templates (WIP) for items, and I would like any assistance populating the wiki fully.

Any help would be appreciated also in creating a crafting section with any relevant material.

Wiki Link: http://play-rust.wikia.com/

Here's a quick guide on how to add items.

Using this template which you paste into the relevant item's page.

Code:
     {{infobox item
        |title = 
        |image = 
        |type = 
        |melee = 
        |explosion = 
        |bullet = 
        |cold = 
        |equipmentslot = 
        |weapontype = 
        |damage =
        |recoil =
        |range = 
        |description =  }}
    You can create a quick infobox based on the type of item you choose. For example.

Creating a ranged weapon:

Code:
     {{infobox item
        |title = 9mm Pistol
        |image = 
        |type = Ranged Weapon
        |melee = 
        |explosion = 
        |bullet = 
        |cold = 
        |equipmentslot = 
        |weapontype = Semi Automatic
        |damage = 23
        |recoil = 10 
        |range = 80
        |description = This is a weapon  }}
    As you can see, I only populated the fields relevant to creating a ranged weapon - as none of the other fields apply. This results in this infobox being created:

Creating an armor piece:

Code:
     {{infobox item
        |title = Cloth Helmet
        |image = 
        |type = Armor
        |weapontype = 
        |melee = 10
        |explosion = 10
        |bullet = 5
        |cold = 5
        |equipmentslot = Head
        |weapontype =
        |damage =
        |recoil =
        |range = 
        |description = This is armor. }}
    As you can see, I only populated the fields relevant to an armor item. The wiki parser automatically filters out the non-relevant fields based upon their type, so even if you fill them in by mistake the output should still be correct:

Any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner x 13Agree x 1Funny x 1Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2012
    2,695 Posts
    I can't make a slot for radiation protection while editing armor but it's fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    I can't make a slot for radiation protection while editing armor but it's fine
    I'll add that now, thanks for letting me know.

Edited:

I'm trying to find out how I can rip images from the game or find them in a download cache. Anyone got any ideas?

Or Helk/Pat, if you're up for it, would you mind sending me a copy of the images in the game so I can upload them to the wiki?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2012
    2,695 Posts
    I have a question about the 'crafting guide' area. I don't understand how a crafting guide would really work since the game requires you to find blueprints before you can craft anything, you can't freehand with items. So would there be a list of blueprints and then inside materials required and etc?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    I have a question about the 'crafting guide' area. I don't understand how a crafting guide would really work since the game requires you to find blueprints before you can craft anything, you can't freehand with items. So would there be a list of blueprints and then inside materials required and etc?
    More than likely, just an explanation that crafting involves finding the blueprints, necessary items then the actual process of crafting (opening up your inventory, clicking at the top etc).

Its entirely open to interpretation, stick your name on it and make your own unique version of the guide. I'm going to script a quick infobox that allows you to place the items necessary on to each individual weapon/item page for reference.

6. Post #6
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    4,983 Posts
    Or Helk/Pat, if you're up for it, would you mind sending me a copy of the images in the game so I can upload them to the wiki?
    Grab the files from the cache and open them with Unity?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    Grab the files from the cache and open them with Unity?
    They're protected as far as I can see. I've tried a few methods but no success.

8. Post #8
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    They're protected as far as I can see. I've tried a few methods but no success.
    Great way to keep hackers out though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    I created a Metal Ore page, pretty sure the information on it is right, but I still need to grab an image of the Metal Ore in my inventory, but I can't now seeing as I keep being thrown out because there's so many people in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I've never contributed to a wiki before, but I tried my hand at the basics for the Flashlight mod page based on memory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    And of course you go and right-align my shit :(

12. Post #12
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    General question, is there a full set of kevlar armor or just the vest and helmet? Because I'm only seeing the helmet and vest on the wiki.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    And of course you go and right-align my shit :(
    Whoops I didn't realise I published that, sorry. I was just seeing how it looked.

14. Post #14
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Whoops I didn't realise I published that, sorry. I was just seeing how it looked.
    I don't know which looks better, they both have their advantages, and both look good, your choice I guess.

15. Post #15
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    Made leather.
    Not used to make wiki articles and it was hard to get info while the servers are down, but it's something I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2012
    2,695 Posts
    I did my best to list all the items/weapons currently available in game, hopefully I didn't miss any
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Started up the Zombie page, still need information like the damage they deal, the complete list of loot they drop and whatever anyone else feels needs to be added.

18. Post #18
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    Started up the Zombie page, still need information like the damage they deal, the complete list of loot they drop and whatever anyone else feels needs to be added.
    Don't they also drop cloth and ammo?

Also last time I've been attacked by a zombie, 15-25 dmg per hit I estimate. Need someone to confirm.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2012
    2,695 Posts
    Don't they also drop cloth and ammo?

Also last time I've been attacked by a zombie, 15-25 dmg per hit I estimate. Need someone to confirm.
    zombies have a chance to drop any item in the game

20. Post #20
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Yeah, just added cloth and some basic ammo types, although since i've completely forgotten the name's of the ammo, they're just the generic "Pistol Ammo" and "Rifle Ammo" names. Need someone to specify the ammo types.

21. Post #21
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    Yeah, just added cloth and some basic ammo types, although since i've completely forgotten the name's of the ammo, they're just the generic "Pistol Ammo" and "Rifle Ammo" names. Need someone to specify the ammo types.
    9mm rounds
    556 rounds
    shotgun shells

22. Post #22
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Just created the outline of the Deer page, lucky I had a close-up screenshot of a deer for that, just need some specific information on how much meat they produce.

23. Post #23
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    8,920 Posts
    so is this game gonna stay Unity? Have Unity games ever gotten big? I don't think I've seen a Unity game on any major games service like Steam, Amazon, Origin etc.

24. Post #24
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    so is this game gonna stay Unity? Have Unity games ever gotten big? I don't think I've seen a Unity game on any major games service like Steam, Amazon, Origin etc.
    KSP.

On if it's going to stay on unity, I would say probably. I don't know because I'm not a dev or have knowledge on what's going to happen in the future, but my guess is very much yes.

25. Post #25
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    8,920 Posts
    KSP.

On if it's going to stay on unity, I would say probably. I don't know because I'm not a dev or have knowledge on what's going to happen in the future, but my guess is very much yes.
    as long as I don't have to play it in a browser eventually, I am fine

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    Guys when you're linking to ammunition link to the
    http://play-rust.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Items#Ammo
    section. If you remember linking to ammunition in any of your articles it'd be handy to update it. Thanks!

27. Post #27
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    For the wild life, there is also pigs and /chickens/.

Also for under enemies, I think you guys should add bandits.

28. Post #28
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Just done the Wood Pile and Trees shit, it's just basic information and an image, but it should do for now, unless someone decides more detailed information is needed.

29. Post #29
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    Added the rest of the animals into the animal list.

I also added the rest of the foods into the food category. Feel free to edit the name because I can't remember shit.

edit:

Yo if anyone has pictures of the in-game player (Preferably holding a m4) can you send it to me for the bandit page?

30. Post #30
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Just spruced up the Items page with sub-categories to organise it better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts
    Just spruced up the Items page with sub-categories to organise it better.
    Definitely looks better this way. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    There's probably some Wiki controls i've yet to come across that'll let me spread them out horizontally (probably a table would do, but no idea how it'd look) so it doesn't just go down for ages vertically.

I think it'll look better that way.

33. Post #33
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    http://play-rust.wikia.com/wiki/Bandits

Added bandits to the enemy list. Probably fucking useless but whatever. I'll move on to other articles that need me.

edit:
    Currently making my own guide in the /guides/ on the wikia.

34. Post #34
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Also, tip for if you're going to take a close-up of an animal, crouch and walk up to them, usually they never notice you until your literally touching them.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,317 Posts

If anyone wants to make the pig page while I'm sorting out the horizontal categories.

Edited:

Updated the http://play-rust.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Items page to what you wanted, Lucky
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    Yeah, that looks better, plus it saves space. Nice work.

Edited:

Pigs Have their own page now, long live the piggies.

37. Post #37
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    http://play-rust.wikia.com/wiki/Aw3s...ival_Guide_101

Currently making my survival guide for the newbies, so they are not confused when they first join.
    Still working on it, any feedback?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,226 Posts
    So far, so good, now you just need to actually finish it and put in the finishing touches.

39. Post #39
    full blown anime
    December 2011
    1,523 Posts
    So far, so good, now you just need to actually finish it and put in the finishing touches.
    ik, I'm still writing everything out on it and proofreading it for mistakes and more useful shit to put in.

40. Post #40
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    For whenever someone makes the wooden barricade thingy, it takes 27 hatchet swings to bring one down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)