1. Post #1681
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    what did he try to do?
    Possibly attempting to inject a script into the logger web page by choosing a player name consisting of script tags
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1682
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    2,489 Posts
    GOD DANGIT, Just as I decide to try it Registration was closed 5 hours ago :'(

3. Post #1683
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,729 Posts
    so i've got the research kit, and i don't know how to make blueprints
    where is the workbench

4. Post #1684
    February 2010
    2,847 Posts
    Alright fellas, the proper way to farm woodpiles is to strafe all around it while hatcheting away. Or listen for footsteps. The hills have eyes, listen for the footsteps. You hear someone walking around, you turn around, he's behind you, above you, pretend he's everywhere at once. You have to harden. Listen for the footsteps. Feel like someone's tracking you? Listen for the footsteps. Surefire way to protect yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #1685
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,854 Posts
    Alright fellas, the proper way to farm woodpiles is to strafe all around it while hatcheting away. Or listen for footsteps. The hills have eyes, listen for the footsteps. You hear someone walking around, you turn around, he's behind you, above you, pretend he's everywhere at once. You have to harden. Listen for the footsteps. Feel like someone's tracking you? Listen for the footsteps. Surefire way to protect yourself.
    thanks now im terrified of everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1686
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    1,217 Posts
    which is why I thank the devs for night and the ability to crouch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #1687
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,791 Posts
    even look down cause they'll noclip under the ground and still hit you

8. Post #1688
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,935 Posts
    Decided to take a look at the events log.
    Pretty much every 5th entry is a murder

9. Post #1689
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    We definitely need an honor/humanity system.

You could start with a predefined value and then lose points based on how many people you murder.

Your humanity/honor could regenerate slowly over time to a good standing, which allows for killing people who try to murder you.

Would let you know who the mass deathmatchers are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1690
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    I hate the idea of adding systems to change people's behaviour. It should be a solution that the players find the solution too. Once you start adding systems you start restricting what people can and can't do. In the end if we do that we might as well let you choose which team you want to be on, good guys or bad guys.

People being killed is a problem, so start a gated community, set up a police force, only let people in who you trust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #1691
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,767 Posts
    lawl, racy, Muller, leftadead, all hackers

Edited:

I hate the idea of adding systems to change people's behaviour. It should be a solution that the players find the solution too. Once you start adding systems you start restricting what people can and can't do. In the end if we do that we might as well let you choose which team you want to be on, good guys or bad guys.

People being killed is a problem, so start a gated community, set up a police force, only let people in who you trust.
    this

Killing is perfectly fine and it adds a sense of risk to the game

but the skiddies/hackers on the other hand

Edited:

I don't even think that bandits should be highlighted in any way - assuming that clothing items eventually show up on playermodels, people should be able to have their own unique appearence so that bandits would have to be learned and recognized by gated communities. They would be able to change their clothing in an attempt to disguise and such
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #1692
    January 2010
    9,755 Posts
    yeah, I like the idea of self-made safezones instead of the forced friendliness. People should be able to be dicks as much as they like without the use of any exploits/hacks, and if people don't like those people they should do something about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #1693
    February 2010
    2,847 Posts
    I think adding blood to clothes for proximity kills would be a pretty good indicator, it's realistic but it also isn't permanent. Shows you who an axe murderer is, so you get a warning, but not a permanent "please kill me I'm bad" sign on your person after a couple of murders that might have been in self defense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #1694
    January 2010
    9,755 Posts
    it'd be much more feaseable to set up a safe haven once there's some kind of faction/group system which allows you to recognize group members from much further than you can identify people's names as of now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #1695
    December 2009
    2,102 Posts
    Okay, got pretty good stuff, including a research kit, time to stop playing just in case.

16. Post #1696
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    That's what I'm saying. We should be adding ways for people to set their own systems up (clothes, friend groups, trip wire alarms etc).. rather than hard coding people as bad people and good people.

Because really, maybe your town wants to go out and pillage and fuck up other towns. You don't want to be marked as bad guys for doing that... because that would be part of the fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

17. Post #1697
    January 2010
    9,755 Posts
    I fucking love the idea of having traps around your base, either just to alert you of movement or to cause harm as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #1698
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,332 Posts

You're completely right. However there should be a system in place allowing you to recognise players based upon some factor other than their name. Although the game is still in alpha, the inclusion of a faction system or even a friend system would be beneficial, rather than detrimental to the idea of player freedom.

As scratch (nl) said, you'd definitely find a lot more of a social aspect to the game start to emerge with the inclusion of such a system - people would begin to team up and create these factions with independent bases, maybe even sparking war between two factions. It'd foster a player-driven economy, of sorts.

19. Post #1699
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    You're completely right. However there should be a system in place allowing you to recognise players based upon some factor other than their name. Although the game is still in alpha, the inclusion of a faction system or even a friend system would be beneficial, rather than detrimental to the idea of player freedom.

As scratch (nl) said, you'd definitely find a lot more of a social aspect to the game start to emerge with the inclusion of such a system - people would begin to team up and create these factions with independent bases, maybe even sparking war between two factions. It'd foster a player-driven economy, of sorts.
    I envision that once we let people customise their clothes they'll use that to recognise each other. The benefit being that if someone really wanted to they could make the same clothes to sneak in your base without suspicion. And your town could have different clothes for different roles, ranks etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

20. Post #1700
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    16,761 Posts
    Might suggest adding cloth dyes and territory borders then which are setup by signs, so for example you'd setup 4 signs and it would make a red/coloured line around the area using the signs as the waypoints, when someone enters it'll print a message saying you're entering a persons territory.
    Add a group system and you can set it so it wont show for people who are in your group but will for everyone else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #1701
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    I hate the idea of flashing shit up on the HUD like that. It'd be up to you to put signs all around the base that people could read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #1702
    January 2010
    9,755 Posts
    Perhaps you could have customized colours for each faction? That way it doesn't break the ~immersion~ but still be useable for long-range identification. Just like a shoulder or back patch where you could put your faction's symbols on.

Edited:

And that way you don't really need a faction system either, you'd know who is in your faction by checking their clothes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1703
    September 2010
    7,088 Posts
    I still hope we're going to get easily visible names for friends, regardless of clothing and faction
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1704
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,332 Posts
    Might suggest adding cloth dyes and territory borders then which are setup by signs, so for example you'd setup 4 signs and it would make a red/coloured line around the area using the signs as the waypoints, when someone enters it'll print a message saying you're entering a persons territory.
    Add a group system and you can set it so it wont show for people who are in your group but will for everyone else.
    If a faction is good enough at doing their job you wouldn't even need a coded element like that for printing territory markers etc.

What garry is suggesting is that the developers give the players the means to be individually identifiable, and therefore create their own means of being part of a gang or group. Let's say they put down territory markers, instead of having a message printed out by some omnipresent script, the faction leader or democracy (if we could be so lucky) decides to post patrols around their territory.

Any person who walks into the territory is then waylaid, and the faction then has rules regarding what they do with trespassers - be it send them on their way, or detain them and steal most (if not all) of their items. Or shoot on sight.

Instead of the player getting a message that they're in some territory, let them learn by playing the game and figure out themselves where to avoid and where to stay.

25. Post #1705
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,578 Posts
    I haven't played in ages and I am afraid to join (I have a ton of shit) how does the dropping system work now?

26. Post #1706
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    652 Posts
    Interesting to see this progress, haven't played since about February March time when there where only 3 to 4 people on at any given time

27. Post #1707
    September 2010
    7,088 Posts
    I haven't played in ages and I am afraid to join (I have a ton of shit) how does the dropping system work now?
    If you die, you lose everything. If you are REALLY lucky and respawn close to your death spot, you'll find a bag containing all your loot

28. Post #1708
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    844 Posts
    I hate the idea of flashing shit up on the HUD like that. It'd be up to you to put signs all around the base that people could read.
    What is the status on the hacker problem? Are you planning on dealing with this later or are you already working on a solution/banning certain players?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1709
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts

please big skull and crossbones sign thanks

30. Post #1710
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    652 Posts
    I think there would have been a wipe since we played. Not sure how to login again also

31. Post #1711
    Lieutenant-General of the United FP Alliance
    April 2011
    5,233 Posts
    How about to make a some kind of safe area, where everyone, who enters it, becomes immune to attacks from other players and also deal no damage to others by himself.
    This way nobody will die from "smart snipers" or be an "invincible rambo".

It will also piss off douchebags like Racy and let others to understand the word "friendly".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #1712
    February 2010
    2,847 Posts
    How about to make a some kind of safe area, where everyone, who enters it, becomes immune to attacks from other players and also deal no damage to others by himself.
    This way nobody will die from "smart snipers" or be an "invincible rambo".

It will also piss off douchebags like Racy and let others to understand the word "friendly".
    I feel like barracks-like safe havens like this detract from the experience. The thought of being able to die at all times grounds the game into reality in an ineffaceable and somewhat beautiful way. This is something you mechanically can't take away, ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #1713
    April 2011
    5,233 Posts
    I feel like barracks-like safe havens like this detract from the experience. The thought of being able to die at all times grounds the game into reality in an ineffaceable and somewhat beautiful way. This is something you mechanically can't take away, ever.
    Hackers and glitchers breaks it even more.
    I'm ok with dying in a gunfight with other person or being ambushed. But dropping dead and losing all your shit to speedhacking-nocliping asshole is not cool at all.

34. Post #1714
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    Garry's probably right about not limiting players.

Though at the moment the game is skewed dramatically towards random death-matching with an axe than building things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #1715
    Dosen't need a bigger avatar
    April 2010
    3,199 Posts
    Is this just a mini project or is it going to evolve into a full 'GarrysMod' size game?

I would really love to see some more releases from FacePunch Studios
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #1716
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,066 Posts
    oh god i forgot my password
    and i cant join
    god damn it

37. Post #1717
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    We don't care about hackers right now. I'm sure they are a huge disturbance, I'm sure they're ruining the game, but we're prototyping a game - not a anti cheat solution. If someone is cheating then deal with it, try to ignore it, we're not interested in hearing about it right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Informative x 11Dumb x 4Agree x 3Funny x 3Friendly x 1Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #1718
    April 2011
    5,233 Posts
    We don't care about hackers right now. I'm sure they are a huge disturbance, I'm sure they're ruining the game, but we're prototyping a game - not a anti cheat solution. If someone is cheating then deal with it, try to ignore it, we're not interested in hearing about it right now.
    Oh, ok.
    Do you need a feedback about certain things or all we can do is just to play right now?

39. Post #1719
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,767 Posts
    would you fix it for a tenner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

40. Post #1720
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,237 Posts
    I partially agree with this.

Whilst I can understand you are prototyping a game and you want feedback on the development. I feel that the hackers make people feel less inclined to play, and test, the game. Less players - less testers.