1. Post #6001
    December 2012
    180 Posts

Thanks to sky_216 this is properly rigged now, and I'm almost ready to upload it. Only thing stopping me is this:

I've made a normal map for it but I still can't hide it. Is there any way to fix it?
    edit normals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

2. Post #6002
    Ask me about Dullahans
    November 2009
    2,126 Posts

texture bakes aren't as clean as I had hoped
    they'll need some retouching
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #6003
    December 2012
    180 Posts
    I was thoroughly pissed when that big update hit and they didnt choose anything of mine.

and from some things others have posted here, i have a feeling that they cut something of mine at the last minute but nobody will tell me what got cut   
    just because it's a gold star item it doesn't mean it will automatically get added. Mind that valve said they will only add items with an appropriate theme and quality. (although some of the items added don't fit this case.) but nevermind, just keep going, it usually takes a bit for your first item ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #6004
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,638 Posts
    making a pumpkin hat

the more i look at it the more it looks like weird hair.

crits welcome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #6005
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,690 Posts
    I was thoroughly pissed when that big update hit and they didnt choose anything of mine.

and from some things others have posted here, i have a feeling that they cut something of mine at the last minute but nobody will tell me what got cut   
    no I only believe some stuff was cut because I got dev comments on 2 items that led nowhere even after I quickly fixed them up, and that class ended up getting less notably less items than the others. Also the 64 items changing to 60 on release day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6006
    May 2011
    1,328 Posts
    no I only believe some stuff was cut because I got dev comments on 2 items that led nowhere even after I quickly fixed them up, and that class ended up getting less notably less items than the others. Also the 64 items changing to 60 on release day.
    There was still 64 items in the update, the patch notes just worded it as "Over 60". By the way, something I've been meaning to ask you, have you discontinued updates to the Consistent Killicons pack, or will there be another update once more weapons have been added?

7. Post #6007
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    Previewing a hat in the item importer, I'm getting funky white stripes along my seams, but they fade out when I zoom in. I assume it has something to do with me using a normal map (for the first time ever, woo!), but I have no idea how to fix it. The normal map is perfectly plain on the areas covering the seams.

Oh, yeah. This is some manner of herder's cap for Heavy that I'm working on. I guess this is a time as good as any to ask for crits/name suggestions from people in general and dumb/disagree ratings from Noizeblaze.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #6008
    March 2012
    1,966 Posts
    So how long till you guys get a early start on halloween items?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #6009
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,690 Posts
    So how long till you guys get a early start on halloween items?
    there's already been ghost hands posted by 3 people
    There was still 64 items in the update, the patch notes just worded it as "Over 60". By the way, something I've been meaning to ask you, have you discontinued updates to the Consistent Killicons pack, or will there be another update once more weapons have been added?
    64 items: Maybe, I'm just going off things I've read other people saying. I think Valve realised there's problems with facial flexes, they asked me to upload something to help them debug it, and then went silent when I did.

Killicons: It's meant to happen one day, I just have no interest or motivation for it anymore. It will eventually happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

10. Post #6010
    June 2012
    99 Posts
    I made a concept of Police shirts for engineer Police set (still WIP though,).

I think it's too plain, any suggestion to make it more eyecatching?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Korea, Republic of Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #6011
    April 2013
    4,250 Posts
    I made a concept for engineer Police set (still WIP though,).

Looks pretty cool. Not sure if it is a good idea to make a Engineer into a Police, but hey there is more wackier stuff anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

12. Post #6012
    November 2012
    418 Posts
    I'm trying to compile the item with flexes and keep getting this error:
    ERROR: e:\steam2\steamapps\dimitri2050\sourcesdk_content\ tf\models\workshop\player\items\demo\_preview8\_pr eview8.qc(24): - could not load file 'dynamite.smd'
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'workshop/player/items/demo/_preview8/_preview8.mdl'
    WARNING: Leaking 1 elements
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - e:\steam2\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\models\workshop\player\items\demo\_preview8\_ preview8.mdl
    WARNING: CTargetZIP::Compile - Target 1 Compile F
    This is my QC
    $upaxis Y

$modelname "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_MDLABSPATH>"

$surfaceprop "default"

$body "default" "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD0>"

<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD1_HEADER>
    {
    replacemodel "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD0>" "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD1>"
    }

<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD2_HEADER>
    {
    replacemodel "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD0>" "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD2>"
    }

<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_SKIN_OPTIONALBLOCK>

$sequence "ref" "<ITEMTEST_REPLACE_LOD0>"

$model "defualt" "dynamite.smd" {
    flexfile "dynamite.vta" {
    flexpair "CloseLidLo" 1.0 frame 1
    flexpair "CloseLidUp" 1.0 frame 2
    flex "WQ" frame 3
    flex "OO" frame 4
    flex "MB" frame 5
    flex "SH" frame 6
    flex "Y" frame 7
    flex "FV" frame 8
    flex "AH" frame 9
    flex "AE" frame 10
    flex "UH" frame 11
    flex "AW" frame 12
    flex "EE" frame 13
    flex "PP" frame 14
    flex "OH" frame 15
    flex "TH" frame 16
    flex "T" frame 17
    flex "ER" frame 18
    flex "DS" frame 19
    flex "GK" frame 20
    flex "N" frame 21
    flex "EH" frame 22
    flex "silence" frame 23
    flex "madUpper" frame 24
    flex "scaredUpper" frame 25
    flex "painUpper" frame 26
    flex "happyUpper" frame 27
    flex "defaultFace" frame 28
    flex "scared" frame 29
    flex "mad" frame 30
    flex "pain" frame 31
    flex "happy" frame 32
    flex "openJaw" frame 33
    flex "evilHappy" frame 34
    flex "screamingUpper" frame 35
    flex "drunkHappy" frame 36
    flex "dead" frame 37
    }
    eyeball righteye bip_head -1.424 78.598 3.375 eyeball_r 1.400 4.000 models/player/demo/demoman_red 0.600
    // If you uncomment the following lines the eyes will be closed
    // I'm including it anyway in case anyone wants to experiment
    // eyelid upper_right "mdldecompiler_expressions.vta" lowerer 39 -1.000000 neutral 39 0.000000 raiser 39 1.000000 split 0.1 eyeball righteye
    // eyelid lower_right "mdldecompiler_expressions.vta" lowerer 39 -1.000000 neutral 39 0.000000 raiser 39 1.000000 split 0.1 eyeball righteye
    flexcontroller right_CloseLid right_CloseLid "range" -1.000 1.000
    flexcontroller left_CloseLid left_CloseLid "range" -1.000 1.000
    flexcontroller multi_CloseLid multi_CloseLid "range" -1.000 1.000
    flexcontroller blink blink "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller GK GK "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller happy happy "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller happyUpper happyUpper "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller AW AW "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller dead dead "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller evilHappy evilHappy "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller T T "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller EE EE "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller drunkHappy drunkHappy "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller UH UH "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller TH TH "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller DS DS "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller mad mad "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller scared scared "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller defaultFace defaultFace "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller N N "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller ER ER "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller painUpper painUpper "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller PP PP "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller OH OH "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller madUpper madUpper "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller scaredUpper scaredUpper "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller pain pain "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller screamingUpper screamingUpper "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller EH EH "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller silence silence "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller WQ WQ "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller OO OO "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller MB MB "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller SH SH "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller Y Y "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller FV FV "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller AH AH "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller AE AE "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller openJaw openJaw "range" 0.000 1.000
    flexcontroller eyes eyes_updown "range" -45.000 45.000
    flexcontroller eyes eyes_rightleft "range" -45.000 45.000
    %CloseLidLoL = Bad stack
    %CloseLidLoR = Bad stack
    %CloseLidUpL = Bad stack
    %CloseLidUpR = Bad stack
    %WQ = WQ
    %OO = OO
    %MB = MB
    %SH = SH
    %Y = Y
    %FV = FV
    %AH = AH
    %AE = AE
    %UH = UH
    %AW = AW
    %EE = EE
    %PP = PP
    %OH = OH
    %TH = TH
    %T = T
    %ER = ER
    %DS = DS
    %GK = GK
    %N = N
    %EH = EH
    %silence = silence
    %madUpper = madUpper
    %scaredUpper = scaredUpper
    %painUpper = painUpper
    %happyUpper = happyUpper
    %defaultFace = defaultFace
    %scared = scared
    %mad = mad
    %pain = pain
    %happy = hapy
    %openJaw = openJaw
    %evilHappy = evilHappy
    %screamingUpper = screamingUpper
    %drunkHappy = drunkHappy
    %dead = dead

13. Post #6013
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,966 Posts

This is my QC
    You can't use smd/vta combo with the importer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

14. Post #6014
    November 2012
    418 Posts
    You can't use smd/vta combo with the importer
    Balls.

15. Post #6015
    ill give you 2 earbills 4 title
    June 2011
    878 Posts

This is my QC
    You can save the item as an fbx, you won't have to use the animation part to make it work also, so it's faster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

16. Post #6016
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,966 Posts
    You can save the item as an fbx, you won't have to use the animation part to make it work also, so it's faster.
    Blender's FBX doesn't seems to save the flexes, so unless you're using 3DS/maya you're fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

17. Post #6017
    Can't Keep Johnny Down
    April 2009
    2,394 Posts
    I assume it has something to do with me using a normal map
    It has nothing to do with normals and I have no idea why you'd think it does.

It has everything to do with texture filtering and mipmaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #6018
    October 2011
    589 Posts

May I suggest you add a Bolo Tie?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

19. Post #6019
    ill give you 2 earbills 4 title
    June 2011
    878 Posts
    Blender's FBX doesn't seems to save the flexes, so unless you're using 3DS/maya you're fucked.
    well my 3ds' fbx plugin is also broken, so the only solution (for me at least) is to get maya, which i am doing now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

20. Post #6020
    November 2010
    712 Posts
    Try to incorporate some Overalls into it, just so that his chest keeps the same colours as default.
    Or a lighter colour from normal, seeing as Heavy got the white wifebeater, just so it's not plain Team Spirit.
    Also, I'd go for a more Security Guard theme instead of just Police, because area denial being his specialty, it fits more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #6021

November 2009
    376 Posts
    Mod release to increase the normal map detail as it got crippled with the importer.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

22. Post #6022
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    I'll tell you what guys, it's been incredibly difficult to motivate myself to continue modeling, with none of my 5 gold-star submissions being accepted. Anyone else feel similar?
    Sorta. Mostly it just made me realize I strongly dislike the process of trying to sell my stuff, with all the advertising and stuff, and I hate constantly worrying about what will be popular and what the community at large will want. This whole thing has kind of evolved from me having tons of fun creating stuff to some weird obsession with getting something in game. I actually decided to go to school for 3d animation with a video game emphasis shortly after starting this. I still think it's a good fit for me, I really love video games, and want to be involved in a growing art form, and I think modeling is the best fit for me, but this Workshop stuff and a few other personal things have been somewhat discouraging. So I'm kinda taking a break for now. Next semester I'll actually be in school for it and then we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll keep making items, maybe I'll find another outlet I like better. Who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9 (list)

23. Post #6023
    July 2011
    589 Posts
    Does anyone know how the TF2 Workshop mailing list works? I sent an email requesting importer support for UnlitGeneric about a week ago but it didn't appear as a thread on mailing list, so I'm not sure whether it's moderated or it just didn't send properly. My email is registered and I used the address listed on the page, but ???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

24. Post #6024
    May 2013
    3,091 Posts
    Mod release to increase the normal map detail as it got crippled with the importer.

Comparasion between the current normal and this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #6025
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    It has nothing to do with normals and I have no idea why you'd think it does.

It has everything to do with texture filtering and mipmaps.
    I thought so because it looked lighting-related and I haven't seen it happen on my other, normal-free items. Thanks for informing me otherwise.

So.. Uh.. Pardon my being a noob, but what can be done about it? My basic googling skills gets me an approximate idea of what's going on, but none of my ill-informed attempts at solving it succeed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

26. Post #6026
    November 2012
    418 Posts
    So to get flexes working in the importer should I export as DMX, or something else?

27. Post #6027
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,966 Posts
    So to get flexes working in the importer should I export as DMX, or something else?
    DMX or FBX, but none of them works in blender.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #6028

November 2009
    376 Posts
    Comparasion between the current normal and this?

Probably isn't as bad as I thought but it helps make some parts more sharp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #6029
    March 2012
    1,243 Posts
    Latest smd tools for blender allow dmx exporting. Not sure if they actually work though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

30. Post #6030
    January 2012
    1,768 Posts
    I haven't managed to get it working with FBX either. Most of my attempts to export the, from Maya ends up with them looking and being positioned just fine, but tests on the preivew builds to check if the flexes are working in HLMV have turned up failures - while the FBX has exported fine with the blendshapes, the importer doesn't seem to have done anything with them.

Has anyone managed to get the flexes working with FBX? If so, a guide of settings used during export would be most appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete India Show Events

31. Post #6031
    January 2013
    55 Posts
    How do I access the particle effect editor? Is there some way to open it through Source SDK or is it a stand alone application?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Set -Tools in the launch options, got it. Does anyone know the directory for the unusual effects? Preferably the new ones, Robotic Boogaloo effects, Terror/Kill-A-Watt, Cloud 9, Aces High, Dead Presidents, Miami Nights, and Disco Beat Down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

32. Post #6032
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,966 Posts
    I haven't managed to get it working with FBX either. Most of my attempts to export the, from Maya ends up with them looking and being positioned just fine, but tests on the preivew builds to check if the flexes are working in HLMV have turned up failures - while the FBX has exported fine with the blendshapes, the importer doesn't seem to have done anything with them.

Has anyone managed to get the flexes working with FBX? If so, a guide of settings used during export would be most appreciated.
    Importer's preview don't show the flexes, you have to finish the compiling and test them in the actual HLMV
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #6033
    January 2012
    1,768 Posts
    Importer's preview don't show the flexes, you have to finish the compiling and test them in the actual HLMV
    Yep, I've been opening up the preview files in the workshop files to test them out and they've turned out without any flexes whatsoever. As Gmann said, the fbx exporter from 3ds Max seems to not work properly at all and the only results to get the mesh show up properly have been with Maya. However, after having tried exporting out FBX's (both FBX 2010 and 2012) in the importer have turned up duds. The mesh stays static and without any flexes, despite the fact that the FBX's are exporting with their respective blendshapes.

I don't know what more can be done unless someone has successfully managed to get it working through FBX's and if they have, I'd love to see what they did so I can document it and put it up somewhere for people to find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete India Show Events

34. Post #6034
    WnR

June 2013
    610 Posts
    it looks fine for what it is. is it paintable?
    Yep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

35. Post #6035
    December 2012
    1,140 Posts

Give him a tan vest and model the whole thing off of Walker: Texas Ranger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

36. Post #6036
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,910 Posts

i'd say jusy drop the police part of it and give him the shirt, it looks nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

37. Post #6037
    June 2012
    99 Posts
    i'd say jusy drop the police part of it and give him the shirt, it looks nice
    You mean just a normal shirt? Not one for the policeman?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

38. Post #6038
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    In order to preserve the color scheme, Ann's probably to make him not look fat, you're gonna have to add a vest or something. Just the shirt won't really work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #6039
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,910 Posts
    You mean just a normal shirt? Not one for the policeman?
    Yeah. Putting engy as police doesn't seem to really make sense - he doesn't have an authoritative disposition. I guess "Area Denial would maybe work, but it's a stretch. Just a plain mechanic's shirt would work. If it looks too bland, you could always add oil stains, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

40. Post #6040
    April 2013
    119 Posts
    No idea what you mean by the first problem there. I'm also being a lazy shit and slowly working on another update for it and I'll remove those then. I also figured that out a long time ago. I might have figured out a way for it to boost your FPS though. For now though if you download only do it to help me find bugs and all that.
    This style of Black Rose

appears as the red version of this style
    when the spy holds it in third person in BLU team
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)