1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,452 Posts
    Gmod developer Olympus Games launched a Kickstarter for its mod library, tracking and creation platform back in April, but we’ve only just stumbled across it. It is not to be confused with Garry Newman’s ‘Garry’s Mod’ tool. Newman has discussed the conflicts and similarities between both platforms with VG247.

Gmod is an platform that allows users to create clear libraries of mods they own, create their own mods and track news from the modding community – among other things. The Gmod Kickstarter currently sits at $13,153 pledged of its $75,000 goal with 17 days left.

While it may appear to be a rip-off of the ‘GMod’ name used by Garry’s Mod, Newman told VG247 that Olympus Games actually owns the name.

“It’s actually the other way around. They own the trademark for ‘gmod’ and have threatened to take us to court if we don’t other buy it off them – along with all their domains and Twitter accounts – or post a press release pointing out we’re not affiliated, along with a permanent link on garrysmod.com and our twitter, and force the community not to abbreviate Garry’s Mod to GMod.”

Regardless of who registered the ‘Gmod’ name first, Newman explained that Olympus Games’ argument is that he is intruding on their brand and causing confusion by bearing a similar name.

However, Newman argued the opposite, and said, “We would argue that it’s the opposite – people see their site and think ‘Is this Garry’s Mod?’. Also, Garry’s Mod pre-dates their trademark, as does the abbreviation of Garry’s Mod to GMod. As a bonus our game is called Garry’s Mod – not GMod. It’s only occasionally abbreviated to GMod out of convenience”.

Newman is prepared to take the issue down a legal route if necessary as he feels Olympus should have changed the name years ago to avoid such confusion.

“In my opinion he should have rebranded years ago. I have no idea why he would even call it GMod. If he wants to take us to court over it we will fight it because we don’t believe we’re doing anything wrong, but I really don’t think that people are donating to his Kickstarter to pay for lawyers”.
    I am fully behind this Newman guy.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/07/garr...ight-in-court/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 510Funny x 35Zing x 3Agree x 3Informative x 2Late x 1Friendly x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,777 Posts
    Post link to source?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 8Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,557 Posts
    I'm rooting for Garry on this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 278Disagree x 3Optimistic x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Kiq
    Buddhism is cool.
    July 2009
    1,892 Posts
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/07/garr...ight-in-court/

Source. Please update the OP widdit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,273 Posts
    GET EM GARRRY!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 83Agree Agree x 15Winner Winner x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2006
    185 Posts
    All my faith behind Garry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 46 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,433 Posts
    garrys mod rips off everything, first jbmod and now this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Funny x 477Agree x 26Winner x 7Zing x 2Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,150 Posts
    I totally thought it had to do with Garrys mod, but it was completely different. I hope garry does take them to court, kinda sad seeing that garry doesn't own 'GMOD' trademark though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 60 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,270 Posts
    So how soon is someone from Olympus Games making an account on FP so we can get this online legal battle started?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 162Funny x 17Optimistic x 2Zing x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Owning a trademark but never using it?
    Reminds me of domain squatting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 148 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,277 Posts
    force the community not to abbreviate Garry’s Mod to GMod
    Like that'll ever happen...

“It’s actually the other way around. They own the trademark for ‘gmod’ and have threatened to take us to court if we don’t other buy it off them – along with all their domains and Twitter accounts
    Also dick move
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 123 (list)

12. Post #12
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,319 Posts
    I totally thought it had to do with Gmod, but it was completely different. I hope garry does take them to court, kinda sad seeing that garry doesn't own 'GMOD' trademark though.
    Why would garry need to own the gmod trademark, his game is named Garry's Mod and it's only abbreviated to gmod for convenience sake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 130 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    1,000 Posts
    Come on gaz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    March 2013
    17 Posts
    duh, we don't need to know that you people are backing up garry, facepunch is pretty much the hangout of Garry Newman's defense force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb x 108Funny x 32Disagree x 12Agree x 7Artistic x 3Informative x 3Useful x 2Optimistic x 2Winner x 1Late x 1Zing x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dear leader of the DPRKFC
    December 2009
    14,373 Posts
    Go get em' garry!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #16
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    GET EM GARRRY!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree x 31Dumb x 11Funny x 3Informative x 2Friendly x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,736 Posts
    Well, if Garry can prove people have been calling his game Gmod for longer than these guys have had their trademark in court I don't think he has anything to worry about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 13Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,452 Posts
    It looks like one of the devs from that company posted in the comment section of the source.

Garry Newman is an excellent developer and I have a great deal of respect for him. We’ve been in contact since early 2006 back when Garry’s Mod was still free to download (pre-steam). He’s earned his success through hard work and by building a great product.

There is, however, another side to this story. Despite what the article suggests, I’ve actually avoided using attorneys (despite pressure to do so). Rather than post the story here in the comments I’m going to address this issue in the next update to KickStarter. @Dave Cook: If you’d like a one-on-one interview please contact me.

- Skylar Kreisherp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 62Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2010
    682 Posts
    Wow, olympus's service sounds awful. Stealing mods from authors without their knowledge or consent. Mods intended to be distributed freely, and then charging to use them with their site and mod manager? A subscription fee?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 77Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,905 Posts

Their site looks like something a 12 year old shit out
    I think they're just copyright trolls trying to scam money out of garry again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 167Funny Funny x 13 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,433 Posts

So its steam workshop but made by an idiot, cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 166Funny Funny x 17 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    3,349 Posts
    Quick, everyone start saying the word Gmod repeatedly and maybe we'll summon a representative from Olympus Games.

Edited:

gmod gmod gmod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 138Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    March 2011
    4,109 Posts
    Their site looks like something a 12 year old shit out I think they're just copyright trolls trying to scam money out of garry again
    looks like something from my vocational class. made in fireworks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    GMOD is actually what we call Garry's Mod for short, I'm not into changing that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 41Informative Informative x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,905 Posts
    From their kickstarter page

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny x 350Agree x 25Artistic x 3Winner x 2Friendly x 1Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,095 Posts
    i hope garry shits all over them in a maelstrom of legal fury
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 67Funny x 4Optimistic x 2Winner x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27

May 2006
    8,982 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 97 (list)

28. Post #28
    lmao seriously

if you're going to make ANYTHING at least make god damned SURE its not already made

and this program looks useless. It's mod management, but if you aren't a dumbass, managing mods program free is hyper easy. You don't need to buy some wonder program to install shit, and anyone with a brain knows this.

Way to screw yourself over before you even had the program made, dildoe.

Also, with Steam workshop being the ultimate mod managing tool, I really don't see the point now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 62Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    I remember years ago I forgot the url of garry's mod hosting and simply went to www.gmod.com , Boy was I confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 58Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Garry's got my support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts

Someone should inform them of the irony.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 67 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,057 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 306Winner x 33Zing x 3Disagree x 2Agree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,231 Posts

"my first photoshop brush preset pack"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 54Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

January 2006
    76 Posts
    Figures Chris Taylor would be into this...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    5,973 Posts
    Yeah I'm with Garry, I don't see why they've decided to call it Gmod when there was clearly already something out there that people already widely recognize as Gmod.

This just smells of patent troll.

and force the community not to abbreviate Garry’s Mod to GMod.
    How the fuck is that even possible?

duh, we don't need to know that you people are backing up garry, facepunch is pretty much the hangout of Garry Newman's defense force.
    You say that like there aren't people that bitch at Garry whenever he changes something on the forums or in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 28Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,941 Posts
    The community has been around longer than that guy's career, we've had the name first. He probably planned this from the beginning hoping Garry would just pay up to get it out of the way.

Seeing Gmod on something else is kinda weird though, looks so odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Way to shit on your brand name right from the start.

Not the best kind of advertising.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 7 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,053 Posts
    Force the community to stop referring to Gmod as Gmod?

What the gmod is this gmodding gmod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 91Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2010
    592 Posts
    This is hilarious, the worst part is they'll probably get to drag it out in court for a while.

On a related note, what ever happened to that forum that was actually about punching faces?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,238 Posts
    A company who makes a client dedicated to mod content cannot seriously make the claim that Gmod has not been the shortened form of Garry's Mod for years. I'm thinking about all the times I talk about Garry's Mod in conversation with my friends and I am fairly certain we use "Gmod" exclusively because it's what everyone has called it for years and because it's shorter and easier to say. The nomenclature of their product seems like a troll move.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)