1. Post #1
    I RUINED TF2, HATE ME
    May 2011
    46 Posts
    Hey everybody, I just downloaded version 0 (first version uploaded to steam servers) of tf2.

Apparently when valve updates tf2, they don't delete any old versions from their servers.

I couldn't get it to load any maps without crashing. (pretty much everything crashed it.)

I will be uploading some unused files, you can make requests too, I'll do what I can.

The program I used is called DepotDownloader (https://bitbucket.org/VoiDeD/steamre/downloads)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner x 60Informative x 5Agree x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,425 Posts
    is this where that one person got the official grenade textures?

3. Post #3
    I RUINED TF2, HATE ME
    May 2011
    46 Posts
    is this where that one person got the official grenade textures?
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2011
    86 Posts
    Is this the TF2 Beta, or the first TF2 version released publicly?

5. Post #5
    I RUINED TF2, HATE ME
    May 2011
    46 Posts
    Is this the TF2 Beta, or the first TF2 version released publicly?
    Not sure, but it's the first on the steam servers.

6. Post #6
    So, do you have access to the GCF's and all that fun stuff?

7. Post #7
    I RUINED TF2, HATE ME
    May 2011
    46 Posts
    So, do you have access to the GCF's and all that fun stuff?
    That's what it downloads, the GCF contents

8. Post #8
    Oh good, I always love when people snoop around through old stuff like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 41 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,597 Posts
    I can't quite get the program to down the version I want, how would I go about getting version 0?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,545 Posts
    Is the included lightwarp different from the one that shipped with V1? Extract it and install it over the current version as a mod to test this.

I'd love to have an OFFICIAL beta lightwarp. Others have come close, but this would be the real deal.

Edited:

Any plans on listing content from iterative versions between V0 and V1? Content added (and subsequently removed) before the first beta period would be fascinating to see.

11. Post #11
    April 2007
    288 Posts
    I'd love some pictures! :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    May 2013
    48 Posts
    Wanna get old versions of maps. Or even first 2fort without the roof on the bridge and more water
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,545 Posts
    I'd love some pictures! :3
    Reposting from many other places, to prove it's not bullshit:

Official textures for grenades, classic pipebombs, dynamite, lead pipe, nailgun and tranq gun, all reclaimed from V0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 77 (list)

14. Post #14
    BUY THE BROWN BOMBER
    February 2011
    6,803 Posts
    Hm

Wonder if there's any un-scaled/artifacted textures for the player models in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 11Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2013
    432 Posts
    It would cool if someone could port them to our TF2.

16. Post #16
    I RUINED TF2, HATE ME
    May 2011
    46 Posts
    nvm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    May 2013
    48 Posts
    I think, tranquilizer gun for Spy would be great in TF2 now. And grenades too, if they would be secondary weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member

April 2011
    1,992 Posts
    How would you go about using the depotdownloader?

Regardless of which commandline args i specify, it gives me "steam3 timed out" and "access denied" on every depot except HL1 low violence gibs

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,188 Posts
    Do i need to download version 0 or 1?
    I'm not sure if 0 wont result in latest version download

20. Post #20
    I RUINED TF2, HATE ME
    May 2011
    46 Posts
    Do i need to download version 0 or 1?
    I'm not sure if 0 wont result in latest version download
    Well, 0 is the first

21. Post #21
    Evil Boy Genius
    May 2011
    3,909 Posts
    great scott... amazing!

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,975 Posts
    I've seen a Gamebanana mod that replaced the pill nades with the simular looking ones in the above picture. I like to see where this is heading.

23. Post #23

November 2010
    571 Posts
    Now to figure out how to use it.

Edit: But really, The lightwarps would be nice to see (materials/models/player/pyro/? I don't know how the file setup is for lightwarps on that version, so it may differ), seeing as the vtf version may not be compatible with our current TF2, one can easily convert it to modern formats.

edit2: okay got it working, but it's the latest version. I'll cancel and wait for things to pop up in this here thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2011
    458 Posts
    Am I the only one unable to get it to download version 0?

25. Post #25
    January 2013
    432 Posts
    I wish you could upload it but then we would be pirates (not sure lol)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,188 Posts
    I wish you could upload it but then we would be pirates (not sure lol)
    How downloading free game is piracy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree x 33Zing x 8Dumb x 2Funny x 2Informative x 1Artistic x 1Late x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2009
    1,765 Posts
    Does it allow to download old versions of other games?
    I would love to see how Portal looked back at the time it used spirals.

Soooo... How do i use this? He says it needs an account to download the content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,188 Posts
    Does it allow to download old versions of other games?
    I would love to see how Portal looked back at the time it used spirals.

Soooo... How do i use this? He says it needs an account to download the content.
    use your steam login & password or try
    Username anonymous
    Password anonymous
    It worked on SteamCMD server
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    April 2011
    8,124 Posts
    Well, it's uploading a free game that is illegal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,107 Posts
    Because back then it wasn't free, I believe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2009
    1,765 Posts
    Always unable to get Steam3 credentials...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,597 Posts
    "depotdownloader.exe -app 440 -version 0 -username *** -password ***"

It just keeps downloading the latest version, what am I doing wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2009
    1,765 Posts
    "depotdownloader.exe -app 440 -version 0 -username *** -password ***"

It just keeps downloading the latest version, what am I doing wrong?
    It needs to be an SPECIFIC account which has access to the old versions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    January 2013
    432 Posts
    The Version "0" could be from 2006 as that means back in 2006 it should be Leak/Piracy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,188 Posts
    The Version "0" could be from 2006 as that means back in 2006 it should be Leak/Piracy.
    Maybe let's try
    Name: Gaben@valvesoftware.com
    Pass: MoolyFTW
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Funny x 21Dumb x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Winner x 1Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    But it's free now. It's still the same product just a lot older.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,358 Posts
    Maybe version 0 still uses the old model muzzleflashes we saw back at Trailer 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 8Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    January 2013
    42 Posts

Chinese health warning? I tried downloading it but it says "not available from this account"
    And it downloads the newest version for me as well with "-username *** -password *** -app 440 -version 0 -dir ***"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 12Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,929 Posts
    You need to download a depot version, not an app version.

In theory, DepotDownloader.exe -depot 441 -version 0 -username etc -password etcetc would work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,112 Posts
    no, it being free to play does not automatically mean Valve has to be okay with you downloading this. They've never offered this version, let alone offered it free. It isn't "the same product".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)