1. Post #721
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    1,052 Posts
    It's probably less that they lost them and more that:

1.) They were buried under tons of revision history that nobody cared to delve into.
    2.) They were before Valve added HWM to the engine, so all their flexes would have to be redone.
    3.) Valve's development pipeline is largely undocumented, and likely what is referred to in the layman's terms as "fuuuuucked"
    Valve isn't using HWM to drive the character's facial animation in-game. HWM is only used for the movies.

Edited:
    Why a dumb and disagree? I'm right...

and if you need any more proof here's a valve employee saying exactly that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #722
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,390 Posts
    Valve isn't using HWM to drive the character's facial animation in-game. HWM is only used for the movies.
    Fair enough, I just remember one of the reasons for the redesign in the first place was because they had to do some remodelling to fit TF2's new facial animation stuff. I guess I jumped to assumptions from that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #723
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,152 Posts
    so i wonder what will happen on the deadline of this websites timer
    l4d3.ru
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Late Late x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #724

March 2010
    134 Posts
    so i wonder what will happen on the deadline of this websites timer
    l4d3.ru
    Gamescom open for everyone begins. Something like that.

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #725
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    3,930 Posts
    Got the SDK working again!

In addition, I've been learning 3DSMax and custom animation - here's a short intro camera animation i whipped up.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #726
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,760 Posts
    Got the SDK working again!

In addition, I've been learning 3DSMax and custom animation - here's a short intro camera animation i whipped up.

that wip map looks tons better than the artstyle of your 2019 campaign
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #727
    November 2010
    66 Posts
    that wip map looks tons better than the artstyle of your 2019 campaign
    It's a prefab by somoza - http://l4d2.gamebanana.com/prefabs/5347
    Also it was used in 2 or 3 other maps already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #728
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,854 Posts
    It's a prefab by somoza - http://l4d2.gamebanana.com/prefabs/5347
    Also it was used in 2 or 3 other maps already.
    Well that explains why it looks so much better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #729
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    3,930 Posts
    2019 wasn't mine and 2019 II was badly rushed in the last few months of its development, so yeah the design is terrible.

2019 III won't even have the same art-style due to 2019 II's ending.    The canon ending is Nick sacrificing himself, with the city exploding. 2019 III will take place in what remains of the city, with a new story.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

10. Post #730
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,149 Posts
    Goddammit, Cheeb, I'm rooting for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #731
    May 2011
    530 Posts

I'm still waiting on this, honestly. This porting project is taking forever, but I'm still psyched for it for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 4Funny x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #732
    April 2012
    256 Posts
    Well apperently that countdown's done (the l4d3.ru thing)
    it had this video-
    Didn't expected anything real, just expected something more clever than that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #733
    August 2010
    12,149 Posts
    What was that all about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #734
    September 2012
    92 Posts
    Well apperently that countdown's done (the l4d3.ru thing)
    it had this video-
    Didn't expected anything real, just expected something more clever than that
    From what I know. The guy made the site, just to troll his friends. He then left it with the timer on.Things got out of hand and soon the news about l4d3.ru spread all-over the community. He didn't know what to do so he just put this video in the end for those who waited. Now he's getting bashed by people... That sucks...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Serbia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #735
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,427 Posts
    More Left 4 Dead 3 stuff in the latest Pipeline video at the 1:12 mark:

Worth noting that the L4D3 folder was last modified July 31st 2012, and the concept art she mouses over was last modified June 12th 2012.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #736
    Horrible Username Connoisseur
    September 2009
    887 Posts
    More Left 4 Dead 3 stuff in the latest Pipeline video at the 1:12 mark:

Worth noting that the L4D3 folder was last modified July 31st 2012, and the concept art she mouses over was last modified June 12th 2012.
    This video is from last year.
    http://www.andreawicklund.com/blog/lobster-hunter/
    She posted this to her blog in February 2013, and it includes the image from this video.

Also the computer says 2012 on the clock in the video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Late Late x 1Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #737
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,229 Posts
    Excuse me, could someone who has L4D1 installed and knows how to view around in the textures folders do me a huge solid? I'm looking for the raw texture of the saferoom door for a project, and I don't have enough memory to install in myself.

(The one that you shoot out of at the start of chapters, specifically)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #738
    May 2011
    530 Posts
    Excuse me, could someone who has L4D1 installed and knows how to view around in the textures folders do me a huge solid? I'm looking for the raw texture of the saferoom door for a project, and I don't have enough memory to install in myself.

(The one that you shoot out of at the start of chapters, specifically)
    Sure thing. Gimme a sec.

EDIT:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/4d...point_door.vtf

The model uses the same vmt/vtf as the other saferoom door, apparently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

19. Post #739
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,229 Posts
    Wow man thanks, I didn't expect anything that fast!

I didn't know it was going to come out like that. The Saferoom textures are strange indeed. I think I can still use this though, thanks.

20. Post #740
    May 2011
    530 Posts
    Wow man thanks, I didn't expect anything that fast!

I didn't know it was going to come out like that. The Saferoom textures are strange indeed. I think I can still use this though, thanks.
    Oh, I don't mind. I'll help anybody if I can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #741
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,499 Posts
    For L4D3 do you guys think Valve will still have a lot of remixes of past games' music for similar situations, like how a lot of L4D2 music is remakes of L4D1 but with different instruments (electric guitars, drums..) and shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #742
    August 2010
    12,149 Posts
    What ever happened to that Shaun of the Dead campaign?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #743
    May 2011
    530 Posts
    For L4D3 do you guys think Valve will still have a lot of remixes of past games' music for similar situations, like how a lot of L4D2 music is remakes of L4D1 but with different instruments (electric guitars, drums..) and shit?
    I'm hoping for a few callbacks but as the series is pretty much cursed to be a never-ending retread of the same game, I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally wanting to hear some new unique songs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #744

February 2012
    1 Posts
    Somebody finally made good looking King of the Hill models

EDIT: Found somebody to make them, cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #745
    January 2012
    926 Posts
    does anybody have a noob tutorial for survivors replacement?

26. Post #746
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    3,930 Posts
    Hey all,

Here's a playlist of all cut content from 2019 II that never made it into the final version. Some were cut for obvious reasons, others for techincal reasons. There's about 7-8 deleted scenes total.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...PFIlJ1TRGsPHH-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #747
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,854 Posts
    The Gang is Getting Back Together

Building on the work from our last update, we are now releasing the entire set of “older” Left 4 Dead 1 models.

It was an interesting walk back through our content tree to find all the various pieces and versions. Depending on your definition of the old models, some of these may vary in some slight detail as we work in an iterative process and never internally defined a version of these models. They have always just been Zoey, Louis, Bill, and Francis to us.

We want to give special thanks to Doktor Haus for being more than willing to supply his server and his assistance in testing the mods, starter kits and ZeqMacaw for assisting with testing the mods and starter kits, troubleshooting the mods' compile coding. Thanks!

While we were in the history books we found some other interesting bits.

There are these versions of Zoey with different colors (Blue – Yellow). A really, really early character concept sheet from September 2005, and the internal release notes for the January 25, 2006 update. The highlights of the notes include:

* NEW: The Hospital Urban map has been split into four separate maps, with HL2-style map transitions. When all living Survivors enter a checkpoint and the door is closed, the next map in the sequence will load. All items, players, and infected will retain their state across map transitions. Checkpoint doors are impervious to damage until all of the Survivors leave the Checkpoint once (with a few exceptions). The "exit" door of a Checkpoint cannot be opened until after the map transition.

* NEW: When a Survivor's health reaches zero, he no longer immediately dies but instead falls to the ground "incapacitated". While incapacitated, the victim cannot move, slowly "bleeds out", and can take additional damage from the Infected, friendly fire, explosions, etc. If a friend can reach the incapacitated Survivor before he bleeds to death, the rescuer can +use him to "help him to his feet", leaving the injured player with a small amount of virtual (blue) health. A First Aid Kit can also be used to revive an incapaciated player, healing him in the process. Incapacitated players can press their attack button to call for help, and can wave their flashlight around to help others find them. Note that traumatic damage (explosions, steep falls) still kill Survivors outright.

- Baseball Bat has been removed

It took us some iteration, but we got that baseball bat back in 3 years later.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/L4D2...94769335517199
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 22Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #748
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,961 Posts
    Interesting

http://steamcommunity.com/games/L4D2...94769335517199

Apparently the old beta models are being released for use in L4D2. Don't know if he means they will be selectable or just being released for the community to mod in or what.

Ninja'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 8 (list)

29. Post #749
    May 2011
    345 Posts
    Louis is so much better, badass.

I'm so happy now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #750
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,499 Posts
    that title almost felt like an l4d3 announce title

hnnn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Disagree x 4Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #751
    November 2010
    5,054 Posts
    Holy shit!

=

Might be stretching it but... the last guy really does look like the man from Falling Down, and then that set off a sort of chain reaction of likenesses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

32. Post #752
    May 2011
    530 Posts
    Pretty awesome stuff!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #753
    Glory To Victotzka
    November 2010
    1,175 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #754
    RAIN BOW DASH IS TEH BEST PONY! SWAG!
    November 2010
    1,554 Posts
    this Zoey has some maniac face while shooting.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny x 21Informative x 2Artistic x 1Dumb x 1Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #755
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,040 Posts
    Francis noticed that, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #756
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    207 Posts
    I find it very interesting that they had melee weapons in very early versions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #757
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,257 Posts
    this Zoey has some maniac face while shooting.
    Seems like a normal facial expression for someone who has part of a gun stuck through their hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #758
    June 2008
    4,424 Posts
    That early concept basically looks like Coach, Nick and Rochelle. But the fourth guy doesn't look like anyone. White Louis maybe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #759
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,760 Posts
    That early concept basically looks like Coach, Nick and Rochelle. But the fourth guy doesn't look like anyone. White Louis maybe?
    more like office bill and not-bald-nor-fat francis

40. Post #760
    June 2008
    4,424 Posts
    more like office bill and not-bald-nor-fat francis
    yes but his face looks exactly like Nick's

I'm sure the idea for Nick came from this, especially considering he was originally an escaped prisoner who got himself a suit because he could.

Edited:

also finally Louis calling Francis "fat man" makes sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)