1. Post #1
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    My hp dv7 3057nr has had this problem for a while.
    As soon as I switch my computer from power saver to high performance it overheats and shuts down.

On startup I get the slandered overheat message, but often times it will shut down again while booting up even after leaving it off all night.

Now this is when it starts to really get freaky.
    I performed the following test.

1.I turned my laptop off

2.placed it in a large air sealed freezer bag

3.placed said bag in my industrial freezer

4.let it chill for 3 hours

Now I took it out and booted it up. It overheated 30 seconds after I logged in.
    Did I mention it was still in the freezer? Out of the bag even.
    What the hell? It was so cold!

Why does my laptop overheat in high performance mode even when its IMPOSSIBLE for it to even be room temperature?

I mean... Jesus Christ

My specs:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name ANON
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.12, 11/30/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name ANON\Elijah Valero
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.05 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 19.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 15.3 GB
    Page File Space 15.9 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    I just downgraded my bios to test if it fixes it. Wish me luck.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,566 Posts
    Good luck, overheatin is a bitch man. You can't imagine how much shit I have been through before putting a small fan on the graphics card.

3. Post #3
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    I'm tempted to say something snarky like, "An HP laptop? Well, that's your issue right there!" but even so, this shouldn't happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2009
    671 Posts
    are the fans working?

5. Post #5
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    2.placed it in a large air sealed freezer bag

3.placed said bag in my industrial freezer

4.let it chill for 3 hours
    Yeah, this is about the dumbest thing you can do to a laptop.

Basically all of the moisture in the air in the bag condensed on every surface inside the laptop. I'm surprised you didn't destroy your laptop doing this. I'm even more surprised you didn't destroy your hard drive doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road it randomly completely dies from something rusting inside the laptop and failing.

HP laptops are known to have terrible overheating problems due to inadequate cooling. This is exacerbated by most users of laptops never cleaning out the heatsink block on their laptop. The squirrel blower inside a laptop blows through tiny copper fins, which catch all sorts of debris and eventually get blocked. If you never clean the heatsink, a mat of detritus will block the blower and no cooling will happen.

On some laptops, it's easy to access the heatsink and on others you have to disassemble the entire laptop. But if the heatsink is clogged, you usually can't just use canned air into the exhaust of the laptop because there's nowhere for the dislodged dust to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    dv7

... Its a good day when all these have finally died.

Only realy way to fix it is to open it up and remove all the dust. And because its engineered like shit you have to remove everything from the screen and keyboard to the motherboard and speakers. Not an easy task.

If you think you can handle this, replace the thermal paste as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    Im gonna try the thermal paste thing. Also i took it apart and there is absolutely no dust in it.

Wish I had some dosh.

Now that I think about it. This may be a software issue. In powersaver the computer can sometimes get warm like a normal computer should.
    I dont know

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,875 Posts
    I know this is probably stupid, but have you actually confirmed it's overheating?
    Like does it get hot to the touch and what sort of temp does hwmonitor report?

This is a very unlikely scenario, but the temperature sensor could be reporting the wrong value, thus causing it to shut down even within operating limits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    9,424 Posts
    Im gonna try the thermal paste thing. Also i took it apart and there is absolutely no dust in it.

Wish I had some dosh.

Now that I think about it. This may be a software issue. In powersaver the computer can sometimes get warm like a normal computer should.
    I dont know
    It's never software, it's just the crap cooling and old thermal paste.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    Could be psu.

11. Post #11
    Actually I dissected mine and cleaned it out spotless, carefully chipped away the old thermal paste and put on some new stuff, put it back together and turned it on.
    It didn't change a bloody thing, it still overheated like mad.
    The only thing doing all that achieved was breaking the BIOS battery's bracket.

Oh well, not like it was worth trying to fix any further, the CPU was pretty much damaged from all the heat, the north bridge was fucked, the GPU couldn't even stay in the screen saver for 15 minutes without it artifacting and ultimately crashing, and several functions of the motherboard were screwed. All from the heat.
    Only thing salvageable was the RAM, hard drive, and monitor.

Bottom line/TL;DR:
    It's not worth fixing. It's going to go south no matter what you do, just like mine. You could treat it as best as physically possible and it will still shit out on you. Best to just gut it now and toss the rest. Sell the parts for something better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    Fuck you, HP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    Actually I dissected mine and cleaned it out spotless, carefully chipped away the old thermal paste and put on some new stuff, put it back together and turned it on.
    It didn't change a bloody thing, it still overheated like mad.
    The only thing doing all that achieved was breaking the BIOS battery's bracket.

Oh well, not like it was worth trying to fix any further, the CPU was pretty much damaged from all the heat, the north bridge was fucked, the GPU couldn't even stay in the screen saver for 15 minutes without it artifacting and ultimately crashing, and several functions of the motherboard were screwed. All from the heat.
    Only thing salvageable was the RAM, hard drive, and monitor.

Bottom line/TL;DR:
    It's not worth fixing. It's going to go south no matter what you do, just like mine. You could treat it as best as physically possible and it will still shit out on you. Best to just gut it now and toss the rest. Sell the parts for something better.
    I dont agree. Ive saved multiple DV7's and DV6's by cleaning them out and re-applying thermal paste.

14. Post #14
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    Just looked at my speed fan.
    Hd0: 27C
    Temp1: 88C
    Core: 80C

What? Cold air is coming out. Somthing fishy is going on. My best guess is my temperature sensors are wacky. Im not sure if they are replacable though.

15. Post #15
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    8,010 Posts
    Try HWMonitor. Speedfan and Speccy show inaccurate temperatures.

16. Post #16
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    Just tried it and I got about the same results.

17. Post #17
    January 2012
    145 Posts
    You are going to have to get a new laptop or get it repaired somehow, overheating laptops are really hard to fix if yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Indonesia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    update. I defragged, changed the thermal paste, and downgraded the bios. This seems to have done the trick lowered my temp around 10 degrees. hasent overheated yet

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    You are going to have to get a new laptop or get it repaired somehow, overheating laptops are really hard to fix if yourself.
    Bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    I dont agree. Ive saved multiple DV7's and DV6's by cleaning them out and re-applying thermal paste.
    I don't get it then, how was mine not affected by cleaning it out and applying new thermal paste?
    Was done in a clean environment and very carefully. Put it back together the same way it was taken apart. Didn't do shit.

Perhaps it would have done more of HP didn't design their fucking laptops in such an asinine way that you had to disassemble the entire thing almost completely to even GET to that part.

21. Post #21
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    hooray Its been 2 days and it hasent overheated once! I can play games again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    I don't get it then, how was mine not affected by cleaning it out and applying new thermal paste?
    Was done in a clean environment and very carefully. Put it back together the same way it was taken apart. Didn't do shit.

Perhaps it would have done more of HP didn't design their fucking laptops in such an asinine way that you had to disassemble the entire thing almost completely to even GET to that part.
    Well the above post proves my point.

You are probably blocking the ports by gaming on a soft surface, or you didnt dust it out properly, or didnt remove the old thermal paste correctly or euhh... screwed up the heat sink mounting.

Or it migth be caused by a different problem. (Oc'd cpu?)

Edited:

Are you even sure its overheating?

23. Post #23
    Well the above post proves my point.

You are probably blocking the ports by gaming on a soft surface, or you didnt dust it out properly, or didnt remove the old thermal paste correctly or euhh... screwed up the heat sink mounting.

Or it migth be caused by a different problem. (Oc'd cpu?)

Edited:

Are you even sure its overheating?
    I sat it on top of a boot-sized shoebox with holes cut into it for ventilation, and on top of that, it also sat on a usb powered cooling pad. Nothing was blocked in any sort of the manner.
    It was dusted regularly.
    Had someone who works on computers hardware wise regularly supervise the whole thing, so the other two things were on low chance of happening.

CPU was never overclocked, in fact, it's clock settings were never touched during it's lifespan.
    I'm pretty sure it was overheating, Speedfan and HWMonitor both reported really high temperatures on idle, and it always reached 100c exactly before shutting down.

HP can't make cooling systems worth a shit, but fuck, the hardware can take a fucking beating.
    Thing must have survived like... What, at least 50 or more heat-related shutdowns in it's life, and lived through constant high temperatures at borderline 100c?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    I sat it on top of a boot-sized shoebox with holes cut into it for ventilation, and on top of that, it also sat on a usb powered cooling pad. Nothing was blocked in any sort of the manner.
    It was dusted regularly.
    Had someone who works on computers hardware wise regularly supervise the whole thing, so the other two things were on low chance of happening.

CPU was never overclocked, in fact, it's clock settings were never touched during it's lifespan.
    I'm pretty sure it was overheating, Speedfan and HWMonitor both reported really high temperatures on idle, and it always reached 100c exactly before shutting down.

HP can't make cooling systems worth a shit, but fuck, the hardware can take a fucking beating.
    Thing must have survived like... What, at least 50 or more heat-related shutdowns in it's life, and lived through constant high temperatures at borderline 100c?
    I find this kind of hard to believe. HP does test this stuff before they sell it. Ant everything should be able to run on max if its clean and new.

The problem with the HP heatsinks is that they clogg up fast, are hard to reach and are really just barely enough to cool the whole thing.

You should really be able to fix this.

25. Post #25
    I find this kind of hard to believe. HP does test this stuff before they sell it. Ant everything should be able to run on max if its clean and new.

The problem with the HP heatsinks is that they clogg up fast, are hard to reach and are really just barely enough to cool the whole thing.

You should really be able to fix this.
    Testing is testing, things jarr in shipping/handling. Mistakes are made all the time.
    I'm not saying it was like that out of the box, it just got progressively worse constantly over the span of 2 years to the point where the GPU was cooked, literally.
    On that, even if I did fix it, what use would it be to me?
    Like I said, CPU, motherboard, GPU, and possibly the northbridge are pretty screwed up by now. Mostly the GPU. Not worth fixing.

The cost of fixing it would be more than the entire computer itself cost to buy.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    Testing is testing, things jarr in shipping/handling. Mistakes are made all the time.
    I'm not saying it was like that out of the box, it just got progressively worse constantly over the span of 2 years to the point where the GPU was cooked, literally.
    On that, even if I did fix it, what use would it be to me?
    Like I said, CPU, motherboard, GPU, and possibly the northbridge are pretty screwed up by now. Mostly the GPU. Not worth fixing.

The cost of fixing it would be more than the entire computer itself cost to buy.
    If you have nothing to lose anyway, why dont just open it up and spend 2$ worth of thermal paste to try and fix it?

I mean its your laptop and all, but this is just a waste.

27. Post #27
    If you have nothing to lose anyway, why dont just open it up and spend 2$ worth of thermal paste to try and fix it?

I mean its your laptop and all, but this is just a waste.
    I just said I tried anyways...?
    "I don't get it then, how was mine not affected by cleaning it out and applying new thermal paste?
    Was done in a clean environment and very carefully. Put it back together the same way it was taken apart. Didn't do shit."

I used arctic silver.
    And really, the only thing it's useful for now is extra parts. The GPU got so bad that it started fucking up if you had Aero enabled, and the motherboard flips and makes a BSOD when you remove an SD card sometimes, all problems persisting even after a reformat. It's damn near unusable.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,573 Posts
    Did you open up everything? Including the fan casing and remove the dust from there?

Did you remove the old thermal paste completely before applying new paste on all the stuff its supposed to go on?

Did you keep all other (non paste) thermal pads intact?

Edited:

Is your fan even working properly?

29. Post #29
    Yes.

Yes.

One fell off, for the northbridge, but we tried to stick it back on... It stuck but it was loose.

It makes some buzzing noises but the RPM wasn't affected as far as I could tell according to Speedfan and various other things able to read such a thing.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts
    It's weird that HP is known for overheating. I never had any problems with any hardware of it. In fact, in the IT departments where I worked everyone (including me) preferred HP desktops over Dell. The only annoying thing about HP are the 100+ MB software suites some printers and scanners need, if locally deployed.

31. Post #31
    It's weird that HP is known for overheating. I never had any problems with any hardware of it. In fact, in the IT departments where I worked everyone (including me) preferred HP desktops over Dell. The only annoying thing about HP are the 100+ MB software suites some printers and scanners need, if locally deployed.
    Their desktops are okay. They don't seem to have the heat issues.
    I own some HP Elite... Some numbers and a letter somewhere. I haven't used it in a while because my laptop is as fast and I don't like staying cooped up in my room.
    It's about 3 years old and it still works great. The fan plays dubstep from time to time but it doesn't slow it down at all.

32. Post #32
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    HP desktops (especially the new ones) are shit hard to upgrade though, and the motherboard layout is all wierd.

33. Post #33
    THIS DIDN'T WORK AT ALL
    December 2009
    3,436 Posts
    I like I announce that I fixed the problem and everybody is arguing about hp.

Never change facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts
    I like I announce that I fixed the problem and everybody is arguing about hp.

Never change facepunch.
    It's a wonderful place for discussion.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    2,672 Posts
    Now that everyone is arguing about HP, overtime they are improving their laptops. My school has about 6 or 7 HP 620 laptops, I have used this specific model a lot. I haven't heard any complains about overheating issues. So overtime HP does improve their cooling systems