1. Post #1

February 2013
    10 Posts
    Hi, im new to Facepunch and was wondering if anybody can help me with setting up a dedicated server:

1.) How do I add maps to my gmod server? (i plan on a minigame server)

2.) I want a virtual store with virtual money in the server, where can i get that, and how do i add that?

3.) How do I edit my server properties, like I want to be Owner, my friends Admins, and people just guests.

4.) How do I change the basic server (sandbox) into a minigame server?

5.) Is there a way to change ALL of the server properties and info, how can i access this?

I know this is alot, but if you guys can help me out, that would be great :D

2. Post #2
    January 2012
    1,008 Posts
    my first question is are you hosting your server or is it a bought/rented?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2009
    541 Posts
    Honestly, if you don't even know how to set the gamemode you shouldn't be hosting a server.

That aside: take a look at the server.cfg for the gamemode (Open it with a text editor) and the server properties, put the maps in garrysmod/garrysmod/maps and on your fastDL (if you have one), get an admin mod and get pointshop, learn lua or hire a lua coder to make your virtual store.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4

February 2013
    10 Posts
    my first question is are you hosting your server or is it a bought/rented?
    Im a renting a server, and these are basic questions that I have

Edited:

Honestly, if you don't even know how to set the gamemode you shouldn't be hosting a server.

That aside: take a look at the server.cfg for the gamemode (Open it with a text editor) and the server properties, put the maps in garrysmod/garrysmod/maps and on your fastDL (if you have one), get an admin mod and get pointshop, learn lua or hire a lua coder to make your virtual store.

Ok thanks, I wanted to change the gamemode because I wanted a "minigame" server, instead of the original sandbox mode,

5. Post #5

January 2013
    79 Posts
    If you do not know any of these, and you are giving your friends admin, because they are friends, Your server will fail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2012
    1,008 Posts
    Even though I agree completely with laxiken...

1.) How do I add maps to my gmod server? (i plan on a minigame server)
    There is a folder in the garrysmod/garrysmod directory called "maps" put your maps in there.
    You will also need to set a fast download for anyone who joins your map to get them also.
    You can learn how to here.
    When you rented your server you may have also gotten a Fast Download server/webhost. Otherwise you will need to create one youself. I will not go over it here, but you can PM me if you need help with that.

2.) I want a virtual store with virtual money in the server, where can i get that, and how do i add that?
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1228438 <-- that should work fine.

3.) How do I edit my server properties, like I want to be Owner, my friends Admins, and people just guests.
    I would get an admin mod, I prefer ULX found here.

4.) How do I change the basic server (sandbox) into a minigame server?
    As for minigames you're SOL that I know of. If you have money i would suggest going to
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1193966
    and asking for someone to code you one.

5.) Is there a way to change ALL of the server properties and info, how can i access this?
    You can do it with a FTP (File Transfer Protocol). When you rented the server you should get access to the server, from there you can change settings in "garrysmod/garrysmod/cfg/sever.cfg" You may need to google some settings. ULX also has the ability to change some settings like prop limits and the like.