1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    217 Posts

Howdy Facepunch.

This isn't a development thread. This is a plea for help!

So way back in 2010, myself and this guy began work on Rp_Station13, a Gmod re-imagining of a certain state of the art plasma orbital research facility from Space Station 13. Fast forward to summer 2012 and we're essentially finished, but the map wouldn't compile. A metric shitload of bug finding and optimization ensues, with entire sections of the station being re-done. Thus far, we've managed to get the map in to a compiled state once, but that .bsp crashes upon load and we can't figure out why.

So we're a little stumped! Which is why we thought to appeal here for any ideas, help, or comments in general that might help us figure out the mess we've gotten ourselves in to. All of our WIP files are available on request if you think you can get them working, but we'd obviously rather not make them 100% public if we can help it. So if you'd like to help, send me or this guy a PM, and we'll take it from there.

Some Details about our problems:

-The map is very near the entity limit
    -The map features a lot of custom textures and models
    -We've taken steps to stop the areas in-between rooms and corridors from being included in vvis (see diagram)
    -Our latest compile log can be found here.

If you'd like to know more about the map, our dev blog can be found here.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 13Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I am not a billboard.

July 2009
    525 Posts
    Very nice as wip shots, hope you guys get to fix it and release it soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    Name reminds me of Space Station 13
    Therefor, it needs more explosions
    way more explosions

Edited:

and clowns

4. Post #4
    Groovy Member
    January 2005
    2,884 Posts
    and clowns
    I think you'll find that we've got that covered. ;)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    217 Posts
    Name reminds me of Space Station 13
    This is not an accident!

So covered.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,443 Posts
    This is not an accident!

So covered.
    I can take a look at it, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want.

7. Post #7
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts

From his dropbox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Bitch Plzzz!
    Dennab
    September 2011
    834 Posts
    Amazing. I hope a gamemode comes with it.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,631 Posts
    This looks really nice, well done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    217 Posts

From his dropbox
    Holy crap these are old. The security level has since been updated (In 2011 even!)

This looks really nice, well done!
    Thanks! We poured quite a lotta time in to the project, which is why it's been so painful dealing with all the errors and bugs.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,062 Posts
    This is amazing, keep up the great work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    4,878 Posts
    Seems like it'll be good I can't wait to get blocked by shitcurity when trying to go through doorways- er... play the map.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,498 Posts
    This looks very cool! Look's like an excellent stage for SFM machinimas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    You have issues in rad with some faces receiving too many lighting informations (receiving direct/indirect lighting of too many light entities). Several lights have not been set correctly, the zero distance must be greater than the fifty percent distance.
    Vis doesn't seem to be a problem.

Also, going over 150% entdata is usually risky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    217 Posts
    You have issues in rad with some faces receiving too many lighting informations (receiving direct/indirect lighting of too many light entities). Several lights have not been set correctly, the zero distance must be greater than the fifty percent distance.
    Vis doesn't seem to be a problem.

Also, going over 150% entdata is usually risky.
    Risky perhaps. But hopefully not impossible, right?

16. Post #16
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    Risky perhaps. But hopefully not impossible, right?
    I never tried so I couldn't really tell. If your map still crash on load, I'd suggest deleting heavy entdata consuming element in a copy of the vmf untill you reach ~120/125% of entdata, compile and run the map. This way you'll be able to know if it's the cause of your crash.

But really, it could be anything. I had a map crash on launch and it took me forever to find out why. Instead of putting my player start in the middle of the map, I put it in a corner facing an outer edge so it wouldn't display too much stuff on spawn and it worked. You have to try stuff in a vmf copy.

17. Post #17
    I'll RUB MY TALENT OUT ALL OVER YOU
    November 2011
    4,665 Posts
    :o)
    Honk.
    Honk.
    Honk.

18. Post #18
    Groovy Member
    January 2005
    2,884 Posts
    I never tried so I couldn't really tell. If your map still crash on load, I'd suggest deleting heavy entdata consuming element in a copy of the vmf untill you reach ~120/125% of entdata, compile and run the map. This way you'll be able to know if it's the cause of your crash.

But really, it could be anything. I had a map crash on launch and it took me forever to find out why. Instead of putting my player start in the middle of the map, I put it in a corner facing an outer edge so it wouldn't display too much stuff on spawn and it worked. You have to try stuff in a vmf copy.
    Thats a pretty interesting idea, when I get home next weekend I'll give it a shot!

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    217 Posts
    Replacing the player start hasn't seemed to help much.

Thought I'd post a small update to this to say that we're still looking for help or ideas, as we are still very much stuck!

20. Post #20
    May 2012
    125 Posts
    This map looks incredible. When it does get fixed, do you think I would be allowed to use it in my comic? It's a comic based off of Mass Effect, and I'm looking around for the best sci-fi maps.

21. Post #21
    July 2011
    114 Posts
    I really haven't seen a good space-station map that's also THIS eyecandy in forever... Maybe I can finally do some cool sci-fi posing shit. All we've got to work with right now is gm_research and that one made by Lt_Commander...

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,443 Posts
    Oh, I see your problems now, there are way too many lighting styles on your brush faces, you need to use propper a LOT more, and for God's sake I don't know how you included so many entities but it really needs to be reduced on what you have in game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)