1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    i've had the windows 8 release preview for a while now and didn't realise it expires today. its expiry means that windows now restarts my computer automatically every hour so i have no choice really but to pay the £20 to upgrade to windows 8 pro

problem is though that the upgrade assistant program doesn't work at all. just before the checkout i get either "we can't get that info right now" and then program ends or i get an infinite "we're getting a few things ready" loading screen

so right now i'm pretty stumped and can't realistically do any work or even play games because i can only get 60 minutes of time. i could pay extra and get 8 on disc but i can't really wait around for a week while it's posted. googling it and searching microsoft and other tech support places turns up no conclusive results - a couple of fixes, some to do with time and clock settings, but nothing that has worked for me

any ideas?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    I would guess that the servers are being hammered today as everyone who installed the release preview is going "oh shit" and therefore it will be slow.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    760 Posts
    Why are you even installing Windows 8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Why are you even installing Windows 8?
    Some people like it, some people hate it. It's not your choice whether someone uses Windows 8 on their computer.

I think it's a disastrous piece of shit, but I'm not going to convince someone they shouldn't use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    760 Posts
    Some people like it, some people hate it. It's not your choice whether someone uses Windows 8 on their computer.

I think it's a disastrous piece of shit, but I'm not going to convince someone they shouldn't use it.
    Whatever. His loss. ._.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    DICKS
    January 2012
    2,644 Posts
    Whatever. His loss. ._.
    I cannot believe you are shitting up a support thread to post your opinion on an OS.

Ordering a disc is not good either, I still haven't received mine, and it's been 2 weeks. Mine was stuck on the "We're getting a few things ready" for the majority of a day, and it still hadn't finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Jersey Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    There's not really a good reason not to install Windows 8. First of all, you have a choice between 2 major operating systems, Linux (obviously there's all the distros) and Windows. OSX doesn't work unless your computer hardware specifically supports it. So most likely he wants to install Windows because Linux doesn't have support for a lot of games, major applications etc. Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, which is faster than Windows Vista. I'm not sure how fast it is compared to XP, but XP will be unsupported in 2014, so his best option is Windows 8. Even if you don't like Metro, the speed increases alone are worth it, and you can always get the old start menu back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    760 Posts
    There's not really a good reason not to install Windows 8. First of all, you have a choice between 2 major operating systems, Linux (obviously there's all the distros) and Windows. OSX doesn't work unless your computer hardware specifically supports it. So most likely he wants to install Windows because Linux doesn't have support for a lot of games, major applications etc. Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, which is faster than Windows Vista. I'm not sure how fast it is compared to XP, but XP will be unsupported in 2014, so his best option is Windows 8. Even if you don't like Metro, the speed increases alone are worth it, and you can always get the old start menu back
    If I'm correct, isn't Microsoft making it so if stuff not downloaded thru Windows Live is illegal?

So crap like Steam and Origin won't work?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    i've been getting all sorts of updates and messages and emails today about upgrading so maybe tonight it will work... who knows

in the mean time i'm waiting on a disc version to come in the post. still really annoying

If I'm correct, isn't Microsoft making it so if stuff not downloaded thru Windows Live is illegal?

So crap like Steam and Origin won't work?
    no this is probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    760 Posts
    i've been getting all sorts of updates and messages and emails today about upgrading so maybe tonight it will work... who knows

in the mean time i'm waiting on a disc version to come in the post. still really annoying

no this is probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard
    I've heard it form many resources.

But whatever. All I can say is wait.

You could also directly call Microsoft.

update: also if gaben hates it then it probably is bad

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    turns out the updater is working tonight but my bank has decided that i don't exist so i can't buy it anyways. everything is going so swell!!

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    760 Posts
    turns out the updater is working tonight but my bank has decided that i don't exist so i can't buy it anyways. everything is going so swell!!

also:

"That is exactly what appears to be at stake here: Windows 8 makes it ‘illegal’ to purchase and download software through any other storefront than Marketplace – unless – it has been licensed by Microsoft. In other words, Steam’s very existence on your PC will be deemed illegal by Microsoft. The same looks to be true for pretty much every other piece of software – gaming or otherwise – on your Windows 8 PC as well."

http://www.hookedgamers.com/features...tastrophe.html

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    i don't know the validity of that source but how can an international company use the term 'illegal'. this whole thing sounds so ridiculous

regardless, i've been using the release preview for months and i know plenty of people playing steam games on 8 so i have no worry. even if this ban thing was implemented i'm sure it wouldn't work or there'd be an easy work-around for it anyways

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    760 Posts
    i don't know the validity of that source but how can an international company use the term 'illegal'. this whole thing sounds so ridiculous

regardless, i've been using the release preview for months and i know plenty of people playing steam games on 8 so i have no worry. even if this ban thing was implemented i'm sure it wouldn't work or there'd be an easy work-around for it anyways
    what i also find funny is how people who pirated windows 8 got an activation key