1. Post #1
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Hey, I am getting BMW E46 318i 2001 saloon next week, and it's kind of started project, it has hood wrapped already, so I decided to buy wrap from ebay and go on finish this off, my friend will help me, obviously I am just learning but I heard this can be learned from several attempts.
    So I want to make it:
    All car white matte wrapped but hood, roof and maybe boot (not sure about boot yet).
    Here are the pics of car on sale, when I purchase it I will take bigger res pics, sale is agreed already all left is just go, pay and pick it up.

Already has a nice alloys and angel eyes on it, so may as well finish it.

Basically I want color scheme like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75727818@N06/6986363935/ (but obviously not merc)
    I know many may say it's an old car and it wont look well - I think it might look good. Will see anyway.
    So how many m^2 would I need of white and black wrap?
    Any tips from someone who did it before?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,181 Posts
    I'm sure that if it's your first time wrapping it'll look wrong or you'll have to redo a lot of part a load of time. I don't want to crush your hope but you'll have a hard time doing this yourself.

That and it'll look wrong I am sure, not a fan of vinyl wrapped car at all. Some parts are okay, but whole? no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    I'm sure that if it's your first time wrapping it'll look wrong or you'll have to redo a lot of part a load of time. I don't want to crush your hope but you'll have a hard time doing this yourself.

That and it'll look wrong I am sure, not a fan of vinyl wrapped car at all. Some parts are okay, but whole? no.
    I kind of don't like when cars have parts wrapped and thats it. It's either all or nothing in my opinion. And well, may as well learn something new, I don't mind learning like, I have A LOT of free time on my hands. I want to know minimum m^2 needed but I will buy like x1.5 of that, as spare for learning process. I love doing something for first time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,964 Posts
    It's either all or nothing in my opinion.
    Go for the nothing option then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,979 Posts
    Why would you cover up that beautiful paint? It looks fine the way it is, if anything you should peel the vinyl off of the hood. If you do the wrap yourself you're going to fuck it up.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,088 Posts
    Sir, you are underestimating the difficulty of wrapping an entire vehicle

7. Post #7
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Just got my car, will post pics soon :) it looks pretty good tbh so might leave it as that

Edited:

http://s411.beta.photobucket.com/use...%20Photos/E46?
    There it is.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,979 Posts
    Yeah dude, leave it. I wouldn't mess with it.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,181 Posts
    I agree with everyone, leave the poor thing alone. And as sHiBaN said, you do not understand the trouble you'll have wrapping the whole car, if you want another color, it'd nearly be more cost efficient to get it painted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,979 Posts
    I agree with everyone, leave the poor thing alone. And as sHiBaN said, you do not understand the trouble you'll have wrapping the whole car, if you want another color, it'd nearly be more cost efficient to get it painted.
    I agree that he shouldn't mess with the car, but that's just not true. A good paint job is upwards of $2500, you can get an entire car professionally wrapped for less than $1000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,181 Posts
    I agree that he shouldn't mess with the car, but that's just not true. A good paint job is upwards of $2500, you can get an entire car professionally wrapped for less than $1000.
    2500$ a good paintjob? Maybe if you do it wrong and have 0 contact when owning a car and being an enthusiast.

And less than 1000$ really REALLY depends on that quality of the vinyl and who does it. Just a hood here is around 200$ and upward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,979 Posts
    2500$ a good paintjob? Maybe if you do it wrong and have 0 contact when owning a car and being an enthusiast.

And less than 1000$ really REALLY depends on that quality of the vinyl and who does it. Just a hood here is around 200$ and upward.
    ...a hood would be at least $600 to have professionally painted. I know this for a fact as my buddy had the hood painted on his Integra and that's exactly how much it costed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you think a paint job is cheaper than vinyl. Just the labor alone involved with a paint job would cover the cost of an entire wrap. The car has to be sanded down head to toe, masked, primed multiple times, basecoated multiple times, and clearcoated multiple times. A wrap requires nothing more than a clean car and time. I've seen entire wraps done in less than a day, whereas a paint job can take quite a few days to be done properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    You're comparing a professional paintjob to an amateur vinyl wrap job. Of course the paint will be more. as far as DIY, paint is much cheaper and easier to do right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,181 Posts
    Exactly what I'm trying to say.

Amateur to Amateur, a paint job will be MUCH more time efficient, cost efficient and will look MUCH better, given good equipment.

Needless to say that vinyl WILL degrade over time, 3 years and it more than often will begin to fade and look like crap. But I agree that often paint jobs doesn't last all that long either. Which is why I am all for keeping the color the car originally had and only fixing where it is bad.

And Aetna, your friend got his hood painted for 600$, right? Hell I got quoted around 2.5k to get two rocker panels replaced and the car repainted from a damn good shop. Well read my post back, if you figure out having something painted DO your search, get some contact. You can get a professional painter to paint your stuff for cheap OR even a crate of beer if you're lucky. Now I don't get why you call me dumb, so I'll refrain from bat mouthing or saying bad words because I don't feel like it over a rating.

Same thing for mechanical thing, you can go to a garage and get your engine replaced for what, nearly a grand? Or you can get some mechanic that's better than any garage in town do it for 200 squids.

Get contacts, or do your search. I never buy something without "shopping" it, because what I do to pay all these goodies for my car, is to buy stuff & do offer appeals.

/Argumenting is CRAP.

Edit : If it's too long to read, what I'm saying here, is that amateur to amateur, he'd have better results with a 1000 to 1500$ paint job at some shop, or a cost for paint and tools and DIY than a DIY 600-800$ amateur vinyl wrap.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,979 Posts
    Exactly what I'm trying to say.

Amateur to Amateur, a paint job will be MUCH more time efficient, cost efficient and will look MUCH better, given good equipment.

Needless to say that vinyl WILL degrade over time, 3 years and it more than often will begin to fade and look like crap. But I agree that often paint jobs doesn't last all that long either. Which is why I am all for keeping the color the car originally had and only fixing where it is bad.

And Aetna, your friend got his hood painted for 600$, right? Hell I got quoted around 2.5k to get two rocker panels replaced and the car repainted from a damn good shop. Well read my post back, if you figure out having something painted DO your search, get some contact. You can get a professional painter to paint your stuff for cheap OR even a crate of beer if you're lucky. Now I don't get why you call me dumb, so I'll refrain from bat mouthing or saying bad words because I don't feel like it over a rating.

Same thing for mechanical thing, you can go to a garage and get your engine replaced for what, nearly a grand? Or you can get some mechanic that's better than any garage in town do it for 200 squids.

Get contacts, or do your search. I never buy something without "shopping" it, because what I do to pay all these goodies for my car, is to buy stuff & do offer appeals.

/Argumenting is CRAP.

Edit : If it's too long to read, what I'm saying here, is that amateur to amateur, he'd have better results with a 1000 to 1500$ paint job at some shop, or a cost for paint and tools and DIY than a DIY 600-800$ amateur vinyl wrap.
    Never called you dumb, rated you dumb. Obviously our argument is meaningless as I was referring to a professional paint job and a professional wrap job. A paint job will always be more expensive if you have it done professionally. I didn't say anything besides that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,181 Posts
    'Scuse me for jumping on my boats, but I was talking about amateur or diy jobs on my side, so we got the confusion there between you and I lad.

(Also didn't mean that you had called me dumb, but mentioned that you did rate me dumb )

So now that we're in the clear, meet me in the dark alley out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,527 Posts
    As a BMW enthusiast, in my opinion, that car is already ruined. If you wrap the whole thing in vynil you might as well strap a fart can on and remove the springs and drive around on the upper limiters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,365 Posts
    As a BMW enthusiast, in my opinion, that car is already ruined. If you wrap the whole thing in vynil you might as well strap a fart can on and remove the springs and drive around on the upper limiters.
    I agree with this. I see so many cars in the BMW community completely ruined because people keep doing stupid shit to them.

It is really hard for me to look through even these forums without facepalming at half of the modifications people make to their cars.

To go along with the above poster, you might as well tint all the windows, black out the windshield, black out your head lights and turn signals and try to impress people.

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts
    Vinyl wrap?

Psshhh, thats not ~edgy and ~cool enough.
    Fucking carbon fiber wrap that shit. Guaranteed max respek in the ricer community.

or get a paint job like all the other people with working frontal lobes   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    Paint it silver and get some better rims.
    I'm sorry but I think your car looks horrid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I DON'T KNOW YOU. BUT I <3 YOU. SUCK ME OFF AGAIN PLZ
    July 2008
    1,799 Posts
    At least T00L M^2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    June 2008
    1,530 Posts
    I really don't like when I see other people bashing people's cars in terms of the modifications they do to them. A person's car is a thing that is really close to them, and it reflects their personality. Calling someone's car ugly or saying that they "ruined the car" knowing that they have spent a lot of time on is really just a "fuck you" to them

Personally I believe you should keep it the way it is and go with a white paintjob rather than wrap the entire thing. It'll look better in the end, carbon fiber tends not to look so great when it covers a huge area like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,365 Posts
    I really don't like when I see other people bashing people's cars in terms of the modifications they do to them. A person's car is a thing that is really close to them, and it reflects their personality. Calling someone's car ugly or saying that they "ruined the car" knowing that they have spent a lot of time on is really just a "fuck you" to them

Personally I believe you should keep it the way it is and go with a white paintjob rather than wrap the entire thing. It'll look better in the end, carbon fiber tends not to look so great when it covers a huge area like that
    I see cars as a pet that you treat like family. You take care of them, you make sure they have everything you need and you don't dress them up in little ridiculous outfits and show them in public.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,576 Posts
    I see cars as a pet that you treat like family. You take care of them, you make sure they have everything you need and you don't dress them up in little ridiculous outfits and show them in public.
    And there's nothing wrong with taking them out for a leisurely jog around the neighborhood every once in a while
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts
    And? I'm not about to change my opinions about the way a car looks simply because someone worked hard on it. If someone spends a ridiculous amount of time on something stupid, I'm not going to congratulate them because they have a lot of time to waste.

Besides, by your logic, we'd have to give a certain car a great deal of apologies:

I bet the owner spent a lot of time on that car, and if I were to call it a fucking ridiculous waste of money, that wouldn't be very nice to him.

26. Post #26
    June 2008
    1,530 Posts
    My point here that his car is really not bad looking at all and you guys are making fun of him and saying he already ruined it when the only thing wrapped was is hood (which he didn't even do). I don't understand how wrapping a hood can ruin a car? It's not like he painted anime characters onto it

I don't know. I just don't think his car is ugly at all

Edited:

However, I do think he should keep it how it is

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    Welcome to AA, we are all a bag of dicks. People here are very opinionated and if you try to modify something that doesn't need it or isnt up their alley they can get pissy. Needless to say that other than that we usually all get together and have a good time, most of us are very helpful and will answer any questions needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    BRM
    January 2011
    332 Posts
    Yeah that looks very ricey tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    January 2010
    1,732 Posts
    Welcome to AA, we are all a bag of dicks. People here are very opinionated and if you try to modify something that doesn't need it or isnt up their alley they can get pissy. Needless to say that other than that we usually all get together and have a good time, most of us are very helpful and will answer any questions needed.
    Nobody has answered his question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    That is because this is so ricey it is out of our area of expertise. You could probably ask this same question on a rice forum and get an answer in seconds.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,871 Posts
    who cares what you think

op asked how many m^2 it would takenot your opinion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1823548 bmw forum, they gave the same advice we did.

if you want to go against our advice

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442 here is a how to with details. It is an e90 but they suggested

THINGS YOU NEED:
    Vinyl (about 25 yards give it take..also depending how much you mess up)... measurements for the vinyl i got were 25 yrds and 48 inches wide....

2 qts of application fluid for the vinyl

I used a felt squeegee so it wont scratch the surface of the vinyl.

I also used a heat gun from Harbor Freight... $10 FTW!!!!

1 XActo knife and scissors

Edited:

It took me 5 seconds to google that by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    too bad OP cant see it for 2 more days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Yeah I was banned sorry. Thanks for info, yeah I am just fixing up a couple of dents on car now then I am gonna buy wrap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    478 Posts
    not sure why this hasn't popped up yet, but this is by far the cheapest and easiest solution.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

If you fuck up, whatever, order more. You can get any colour you like.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,181 Posts
    Unless you dip with a spray gun, rattle can dipping will look like crap on large surfaces. Vinyl remains better looking that plastidip on large applications.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Plastidip is for ricefags anyways.

It looks garbage even on small things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2008
    1,530 Posts
    Plastidip is for ricefags anyways.

It looks garbage even on small things.

Yes how ricey and terrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts

That shit just looks weird

And those wheels are too god damn dark why do people get (or paint) SOLID black wheels

It's like they want to be able to squint slightly and make it look like their car is hovering or some shit. In poor lighting it makes the car look like it has solid black in each wheel arch, or it makes them look like those Hot Wheels that the paint has worn off the wheels so they are just the color of the black plastic, like this one is doing:

Don't get me wrong, I love a black wheel, but it has to be offset by something. You can't put a tire on a solid black wheel and expect it to look alright. It's like those damn flesh-pattern hoodies on a white man:

aghghghghh

Black wheels need some polished or chrome offsets, or even painted color offsets to look good on a car.

Like the Axis Super Hiro

XXR 521

Even the OZ Challenge with its subtle painted "OZ Racing" lip is a standout compared to fugly-ass, plastidipped, solid black painted (or whatever!) wheels.

(Thumbnailed because this is a huge and fucking glorious picture)

Edited:

By no means am I saying that no one should paint their wheels solid black. If you like it, that's cool. Do what you want. But I don't like it. And you'll just have to live with that.

Edited:

/rant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts

They look pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)