1. Post #1
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    oh dear

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...lf_life_alpha/

So a week ago on reddit, this guy posts saying he has this disc that was given to gaming journalists back in 1997 as an early demo of the game http://imgur.com/a/0QsPP. A valve employee asked him about his reddit post, and the guy with the disc asked the valve dude to go check with the rest of the valve guys to see if it'd be ok if he posted it. Apparently he didn't hear back after a week so he's now posted it all anyways.

Videos:

The maps included with it:

Only three weapons appear to be in the game, pistol, crowbar, and mp5 with working grenade launcher. Unlimited ammo and no reloading for both guns. The crowbar fucking sucks.

Also of interest are demo files for most of the maps, where you can watch some guy from 1998 playing through the maps (badly and usually with god mode). type 'playdemo *map name*" to view them. Not all maps have them.

As far as cut content goes, you can see non-functioning panther-eye monsters, working minigun troopers and lots of old models for basically everything but alien/human grunts and vortigaunts. And also pressing 5-9 number keys playings saxophone sounds and jazz music and other random shit because why not.

HOW TO RUN:
    Download both files in a same folder, open HLAlphabyJayzer.cue with Daemon Tools Lite ( It's free ), mount it, it will appear in your virtual cd drive, open it up, copy Half-Life folder to your Hard Drive Disk, then remove Opengl32.dll from there, then launch Half-Life GL.bat, enjoy.
    Also for any video drive errors you get, like it says above:
    Delete opengl32.dll (the one that's in the same directory as the executable) and run the enginegl.exe version.
    MIRRORS:
    Here's another link incase the other ones go down:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life...t-4-1997-alpha

MODEL VIEWER AND COMPILER:

baso88 posted:
    Ok, so here is BETA2a:

CHANGE LOG:

Model Viewer:
    v0.3a BETA2
    -----------
    -fixed bone controllers
    -fixed file path length bug

Model Decompiler:
    v0.4a BETA1
    -----------
    -added bone controllers support
    -fixed root bone trasnsformation bug
    -fixed sequence movement flags order
    -minor smd and qc source code chages

DOWNLOAD:

Binaries only:
    Google
    Mediafire

Binaries and source code:
    Google
    Mediafire
    Please report any bugs or problems.

USEFUL COMMANDS AND STUFF:
    r_shadows 1
    After entering "impulse 10" into the console, you can press 2 once to select the pistol, twice to select the MG 3 and 4 times for something invisible and five times for the crowbar.

And some facts about the demo
    The hi-poly robot seen in the starting map was made as an engine stress test deal, to try and crash the engine (but it failed to crash it). It's a robot from some anime series called robotech. Don't forget to shoot it for a little surprise

And last but not least, the guys now trying to sell the disc on ebay lol. The contents of the disc are still all online, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 254Funny x 21Informative x 4Friendly x 2Late x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,957 Posts
    somehow I knew you'd be the OP to this thread

Edited:

I wanna play it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 46Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    somehow I knew you'd be the OP to this thread
    Yeah and it onLY TOOK ME ALMOST EIGHT YEARS OF FUCKING WAITING AND LOOKING (well, mostly waiting)

Man am I happy I finally get to try out an ancient copy of this shit. It's really cool to see how much has changed. I kinda like how headcrabs can kill you in one hit. It makes them so much more panic-inducing when they drop down on you from the ceiling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 75Friendly x 5Disagree x 2Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,260 Posts
    That 'skeletal animation' thing in the first video creeps me out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 32Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,026 Posts
    24 bids

24 fucking bids

Edited:
    Probably a bunch of guys joke bidding anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,296 Posts
    Depends on if it's the original disk. If so then that thing is worth a fortune.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 65Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,372 Posts
    That DM map looks an awful lot like that Hidden: Source map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 62Agree Agree x 13Informative Informative x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    Bidding on that disc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Not actually a glitch
    May 2005
    4,610 Posts
    I sort of want that original print.... i mean, if in-fact it is the original and first printed copy to begin with.

10. Post #10
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,434 Posts
    I still have that Half-Life day 1 cd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    Probably because the hidden source based their map off the original hl1dm map called stalkyard (or just copied it completely, I can't remember if they changed it any, but point still stands that map pre-dates Hidden source)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 79Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Don't lose your way
    February 2011
    6,266 Posts
    Oh my god yes

13. Post #13
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    new avatar postal?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 195Funny Funny x 17Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Don't lose your way
    February 2011
    6,266 Posts
    Wait so the security guards are hostile here right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #15
    I am a pasty white nerd who gets offended for black people because I have nothing better to do
    July 2006
    5,958 Posts
    holy shit i didn't think we'd ever get our hands on this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    Wait so the security guards are hostile here right?
    Only if you shoot them, like in normal half-life. Except just one shot will piss them off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

17. Post #17
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,969 Posts
    I'm tempted to bid... I would love to own it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #18
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    fuck, it totally does

Edited:

Probably because the hidden source based their map off the original hl1dm map called stalkyard (or just copied it completely, I can't remember if they changed it any, but point still stands that map pre-dates Hidden source)
    ah, forgot about that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 43Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    Haha what the fuck is that sound clip in the deathmatch video.

20. Post #20
    January 2010
    9,764 Posts
    holy christ it actually is the same map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    Haha what the fuck is that sound clip in the deathmatch video.
    pressing 5-9 on the keypad plays sound effects/jazz music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 61Funny Funny x 11Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    i think a totally legit tactic in dm would be to just stand still and pretend to be one of the frozen corpses, waiting for the right moment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 74Agree x 10Dumb x 1Winner x 1Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2009
    22,957 Posts
    It's a lot more obvious from the menus that goldsrc was derived from the quake engine in this

not to mention the overall feel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 48 (list)

24. Post #24
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    How functional is DM?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,213 Posts
    pressing 5-9 on the keypad plays sound effects/jazz music
    I would like to think that the HEV suit comes with a saxophone built into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 90Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    I am a pasty white nerd who gets offended for black people because I have nothing better to do
    July 2006
    5,958 Posts
    are the c1a1 series maps way different from the retail ones in design or are they still pretty similar?

27. Post #27
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    are the c1a1 series maps way different from the retail ones in design or are they still pretty similar?
    Pretty much all the maps can be described as different yet familiar. There's areas that are just like in half-life 1 (though a bit shittier looking), but they usually don't last long before you start seeing new hallways or locked doors, which is neat to see. None of the maps I've seen so far are really radically different, just lots of new/missing areas. The test chamber on c1a1 is totally different looking though. I'll get a better picture later but here's one from my old half-life beta thread that is the one you'll see in the demo:

This is where you start off at for c1a1. The panthereye in the center doesn't do anything, just loops some animation cycles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,461 Posts
    So THAT'S where the pathereye mauling a scientist scene came from, also that grenade launcher debris explosion effect looks nice wonder why they removed it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Indonesia Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,292 Posts
    So, anyone figured out how to decompile the models yet? Tried the milkshape one and those from jed's website.

30. Post #30
    that grenade launcher debris explosion effect looks nice wonder why they removed it?
    Lots of particles.
    Probably removed it to optimize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

31. Post #31
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    17,170 Posts
    Finally, Ivan the Space Biker's day has come.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 39Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    And yeah, check out the demos if you're feeling lazy and don't want to explore the maps yourself. The guy playing is good for a few laughs. He runs through these doors at one part and a scientist runs across the screen, and he freaks out and launches a grenade into the scientists face, blowing him up. Another time he's running around when he passes something like a swimsuit model poster on the wall, and he just stops playing to stare at it for about 10 seconds. And it's always funny watching him try to play super seriously while blatantly on god mode, only to eventually get pissed and just charge whatever's shooting him and launch his infinite grenades at them.

Oh mystery gamer of 1998, your legacy will live on~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 81Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Don't lose your way
    February 2011
    6,266 Posts
    Lots of particles.
    Probably removed it to optimize.
    1997: FPS drop to 5
    2013: FPS increase to 90
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 63Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,922 Posts
    It's actually quite interesting to see how much has changed and how much was cut.
    I really wish that they didn't cut all the monsters out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    247 Posts
    Laylay told me I'm late with this, but whatever.

A friend of mine (eukos, not active on facepunch) fixed a tiny problem with the engine's buffer overflowing when trying to print the long extension value on newer nVidia cards. So what he did was simply removing the call to print those.

Fix here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6618547/enginegl.exe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    1997: FPS drop to 5
    2013: FPS increase to 90
    Why would the FPS increase that much if they didn't remove the particles. In 2013 there just wouldn't be a noticeable difference, it wouldn't "enhance" the performance.

I wasn't serious

not sure what the point of the joke was
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

37. Post #37
    Don't lose your way
    February 2011
    6,266 Posts
    Why would the FPS increase that much if they didn't remove the particles. In 2013 there just wouldn't be a noticeable difference, it wouldn't "enhance" the performance that much at all.
    I wasn't serious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    That hi-poly robot thing scared the crap out of me when it moved in that first video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Friendly x 23Funny x 5Agree x 2Dumb x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,018 Posts
    He had a $500 buy it now option but after the bids gained traction he removed it to rake in more cash.
    Pretty sure buy it now goes after the item has had a bid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    24 bids

24 fucking bids

Edited:
    Probably a bunch of guys joke bidding anyway.
    Uh if it's legit it's pretty much a piece of history
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)