1. Post #2801
    May 2008
    4,586 Posts
    The funny thing is they actually cut off the line where GLaDOS says "And now? What's wrong with being adopted?" that comes DIRECTLY afterwards.

Didn't Gabe say that they want to make the next Half Life game much scarier? Something about letting the powers of players fade?
    Maybe they will make the HEV suit and/or gravity gun break.

Since seemingly so far the HEV suit is so invincible (at least in the sense of easily being repaired after everything), it would be refreshing to see it either break completely or just lose some functionality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2802
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    23,262 Posts

Since seemingly so far the HEV suit is so invincible (at least in the sense of easily being repaired after everything), it would be refreshing to see it either break completely or just lose some functionality.
    What if they did a segment where the targeting system breaks and you have to use iron sights to aim?

just to fuck with people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2803
    September 2008
    1,249 Posts
    Didn't Gabe say that they want to make the next Half Life game much scarier? Something about letting the powers of players fade?

Maybe the advisors can disable the energy from any device, like the HEV suit for instance.

Imagine having to walk through a Ravenholm-like environment without a flashlight or the suit's protection; maybe even without the gravity gun and some of the weapons. It would be an ideal situation to introduce a new and fun weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #2804
    August 2011
    3,245 Posts
    If the gravity gun has infinite energy, why not the suit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #2805
    July 2012
    3,022 Posts

same universe

Edited:

But then again, they used to sell Robocop toys to kids too young to know what Robocop is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

6. Post #2806

November 2010
    176 Posts
    I just finished Half-Life on Hard again.

I HATE ALIEN CONTROLLERS.

Little flying squeaking buggers that are impossible to hit. I hate them so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #2807
    October 2011
    777 Posts
    I just finished Half-Life on Hard again.

I HATE ALIEN CONTROLLERS.

Little flying squeaking buggers that are impossible to hit. I hate them so much.
    The revolver and Hivehand are your best friends on Xen.
    Revolver can take Alien Controllers down in 2-3 shots, thornets can chip away damage if the first short or two doesn't kill them outright, with the bonus of never running out of ammo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #2808
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,874 Posts
    The revolver and Hivehand are your best friends on Xen.
    Revolver can take Alien Controllers down in 2-3 shots, thornets can chip away damage if the first short or two doesn't kill them outright, with the bonus of never running out of ammo.
    i circlestrafe them with mp5 grenades. i go pretty hard, i know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #2809
    October 2011
    777 Posts
    i circlestrafe them with mp5 grenades. i go pretty hard, i know.
    I pretty much use the MP5 as just a grenade launcher in Xen. The normal ammo is less common then on the surface, and the Gonarch fight usually absorbs most of it quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #2810
    September 2009
    3,652 Posts

Would love to see something like this, now that you mention it.

I'd love if they completely gimped your movement and combat abilities too, with your suit disabled/broken. Obviously it would only happen at small segments of the game (maybe one of the attacks an advisor can do?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2811
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Would love to see something like this, now that you mention it.

I'd love if they completely gimped your movement and combat abilities too, with your suit disabled/broken. Obviously it would only happen at small segments of the game (maybe one of the attacks an advisor can do?)
    I don't think Valve would do it. I couldn't see it not frustrating the playtesters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

12. Post #2812
    September 2009
    3,652 Posts
    I don't think Valve would do it. I couldn't see it not frustrating the playtesters.
    Then maybe during scripted sequences of the game, rather than an attack. I don't know, but after 4 games of running around and ruining shit with the HEV suit, I'd love to see a moment where you see how helpless Gordon is without it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #2813
    November 2010
    1,288 Posts
    Then maybe during scripted sequences of the game, rather than an attack. I don't know, but after 4 games of running around and ruining shit with the HEV suit, I'd love to see a moment where you see how helpless Gordon is without it.
    I remember that in HL1 an unused audio file said that the HEV could shutdown if you use too much the Jump Module, as well as another similar situations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

14. Post #2814
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,874 Posts
    I remember that in HL1 an unused audio file said that the HEV could shutdown if you use too much the Jump Module, as well as another similar situations.
    there are sentences in sentences.txt that dictate "critical failure" or "critical shutdown"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #2815
    April 2011
    258 Posts
    i want to see this in the next half-life game:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #2816
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,431 Posts

I believe they also got the console publisher wrong (they said Sony, in reality it is EA), and they said the game was billed as educational.
    And they're talking about it like it's the biggest fucking deal, too. As if it's unthinkable that it made it into stores, like it's that Elmo that says "kill james" or something [citation needed]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #2817
    January 2012
    685 Posts
    And they're talking about it like it's the biggest fucking deal, too. As if it's unthinkable that it made it into stores, like it's that Elmo that says "kill james" or something [citation needed]
    I never knew about this. Interesting how things like that can happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

18. Post #2818
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,380 Posts
    Robert Guillaume who voices Eli also voiced Rafiki from the Lion King
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 12Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #2819
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    11,645 Posts
    I remember when first playing Half-Life, I got to the part where in Office Complex where you have to jump across an elevator shaft and reach a ladder.
    Seeing as how in the Hazard Course, you were given the ability to long jump, I just assumed that I could still long jump and I was supposed to do just that across the gap.
    After 50 instances of shift-jumping and missing the ladder, I finally thought to just jump without ducking, just to see.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #2820
    December 2012
    1,140 Posts
    What if you keep the gravity gun, and the HEV suit...

but you lose Gordon's glasses?

I think it would a really powerful reminder of just how fragile Gordon is as a human being. He has his most powerful weapons and technology, but without two pieces of glass and some plastic he's crippled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #2821
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    3,723 Posts
    What if you keep the gravity gun, and the HEV suit...

I know I'd be scared.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #2822
    August 2010
    11,645 Posts
    I know I'd be scared.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d921M-ACMM4

Damn thing wouldn't work with media tags   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #2823
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,252 Posts

Fixed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #2824
    8==== ===== ===== ===== ===D
    April 2008
    4,695 Posts
    half life 3 gameplay footage

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2825
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    17,428 Posts

same universe

Edited:

But then again, they used to sell Robocop toys to kids too young to know what Robocop is.
    Yes, because people obviously know Portal and Half-Life are in the same canon without directly being told, who ARENT already fans of Half-Life and would obviously know.

Edited:

And if you're playing Half-Life, you're not playing a very kiddy game now are you?

Edited:

By that logic, anything with an expanded universe could be considered not for kids if something is kid friendly and another isnt.

Like how marvel has kid-friendly comics and comics where wolverine talks about slicing off testicles while munching on a cigar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #2826
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,849 Posts
    What if they did a segment where the targeting system breaks and you have to use iron sights to aim?

just to fuck with people
    I don't know why ironsights get such a bad rap

I played HL2 again recently. Don't get me wrong - it's one of my favourite games. But I felt the gunplay was missing a lot the sense of fun and functionality that I got from most other more contemporary shooters, simply because Gordon only seems to know how to shoot from the hip. I mean the guns have sights for a reason - I'd much rather be able to look down the sights and get slightly more accurate shots than just go pew pew from the hip at some distant target
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

27. Post #2827
    August 2011
    1,065 Posts

I played HL2 again recently. Don't get me wrong - it's one of my favourite games. But I felt the gunplay was missing a lot the sense of fun and functionality that I got from most other more contemporary shooters, simply because Gordon only seems to know how to shoot from the hip. I mean the guns have sights for a reason - I'd much rather be able to look down the sights and get slightly more accurate shots than just go pew pew from the hip at some distant target
    I kinda feel that if valve ever added iron-sights it would take away from the classic FPS feeling. I think that's why they added the zoom feature as an alternative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

28. Post #2828
    September 2009
    3,652 Posts
    Yes, because people obviously know Portal and Half-Life are in the same canon without directly being told, who ARENT already fans of Half-Life and would obviously know.

Edited:

And if you're playing Half-Life, you're not playing a very kiddy game now are you?

Edited:

By that logic, anything with an expanded universe could be considered not for kids if something is kid friendly and another isnt.

Like how marvel has kid-friendly comics and comics where wolverine talks about slicing off testicles while munching on a cigar.
    Most marvel universes that are considered 'kid friendly' are separate to the more mature universes.

Edited:

As mentioned above, its to give it that classic FPS arena shooter feel. Ironsights also slow the gameplay down considerably.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #2829
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,849 Posts
    Most marvel universes that are considered 'kid friendly' are separate to the more mature universes.

Edited:

As mentioned above, its to give it that classic FPS arena shooter feel. Ironsights also slow the gameplay down considerably.

In all my years of playing it I never saw HL2 as a classic FPS arena shooter to be honest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

30. Post #2830
    August 2010
    11,645 Posts
    In all my years of playing it I never saw HL2 as a classic FPS arena shooter to be honest
    Armor, static health, and being able to hold 10 weapons makes it a classic arena shooter in my eyes.
       Although I've never played any of the classic arena shooter besides Duke Nukem 3D.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

31. Post #2831
    March 2010
    1,579 Posts
    Compared to modern shooters it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

32. Post #2832
    Armor, static health, and being able to hold 10 weapons makes it a classic arena shooter in my eyes.
       Although I've never played any of the classic arena shooter besides Duke Nukem 3D.   
    All it lacks is the "fluidity" of the classic shooters, other than that it feels pretty close (At-least, with my Quake 2-3 experience)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #2833
    May 2008
    4,586 Posts
    Why have the HL2:Enhanced, hl alpha, CS:Go, L4d threads been closed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 9Late x 2Zing x 1Winner x 1Agree x 1Friendly x 1 (list)