1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    149 Posts
    Alright here's how you get the zombie models to work in SFM. You'll need to extract the Materials and Models folders from the TF2 Materials GCF files and import them into SFM via GCFScape. Next you need to know that only the non-HWM models have the zombie skins. The HWM models will not work.

Now open SFM and load a map then pic a TF2 character to work with. For this I'm going to use the Demoman.

Next you need to select his zombie skin, which in this case is 4 for the red one. Oh noes, Lieutenant Dan's got no legs! Anyway, to make this model "complete" again, we need his zombie item. The one for the Demoman is called demo_zombie.mdl. It should look like this.

The last thing to do it lock all the points together, or I think copying the animations from one onto the other would be easier, once you have everything locked to their respective points this is what you should end up.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 5Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I'll RUB MY TALENT OUT ALL OVER YOU
    November 2011
    4,483 Posts
    Do you reckon there will be HWM models for these?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    149 Posts
    I wouldn't hold my breath, but the SFM team may go ahead and create the models for use in movies since they went to the trouble of correcting several of the old HWM models in the game, like being able to remove the Medic's backpack and an HWM Engineer with the Gunslinger.

I just wanna know where the hell the fixed uberskins are!! I've been waiting for them since day 1.

4. Post #4
    November 2011
    33 Posts
    I imported the HWM models over from the TF2 CFG and they work and have the zombie skins.

The only catch is that they override the SFM HWM models inside SFM meaning you loose the ability to use the bonus skins valve have on the models. Also the zombie skins (Only the zombie skins for some reason) have the ambient occlusion glitch where ambient occlusion treats them like they don't exist.

Any fixes for these?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    149 Posts
    The same works for custom skins in the game as well, the zombie skins override any skins that have been applied to the models, most likely because most skin packs only replace skins 0 and 1. I'm sure something can be done in the element viewer or in SDK to fix it, but I'm not good with either.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,137 Posts
    Very useful. Thanks for the tip!

7. Post #7
    November 2011
    33 Posts
    Sad nobody has a fix for the skins (Even though absolutely everybody I see has managed to find one somehow). Is their a way to automate the process of locking all the bones from one model onto another? For items you don't need to do the play-head trick you just lock all the bones with the same name and zero the values on the item. Normally its a trivial task but with the zombie items having every single bone its becoming VERY annoying to create zombies especially since locks don't copy on animation sets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    149 Posts
    The easiest way I've found to do it, is to animate the model like you normally would with the regular skin. The copy the animation onto the zombie model and change the base model's skin. I haven't found a downside to it yet.