1. Post #1

October 2012
    22 Posts
    Sorry for noobing out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,150 Posts
    Legacy Addon Browser was an addon in Garry's Mod 13 Beta. It basically made the addons menu behave like the browse thing in Garry's Mod 12.

At least, that's what I think everyone is talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    1,128 Posts
    I would guess anything that doesn't use the workshop is considered, by the game, a legacy addon?

But I don't know.

4. Post #4
    September 2001
    12,386 Posts
    Legacy addon = addon that isn't on workshop.

Workshop addons are better because they don't slow down loadtimes. Each legacy addon you have installed adds to the overall loadtimes.

Plus workshop addons are updated automatically. And installed automatically.

The legacy addon system is only there because people would bitch if it wasn't. (but as tonight has shown, they'll bitch either way).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny x 16Agree x 3Winner x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,590 Posts
    I don't understand how you're supposed to develop without legacy addons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

6. Post #6
    September 2001
    12,386 Posts
    I would have come up with another system if I'd taken it away completely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,590 Posts
    It'd be super duper handy to have a GMA packer though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #8

March 2012
    142 Posts
    Check this out for packing them

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Workshop/Creating_addons

Developing, well, you're on your own.

9. Post #9
    I love liberals, they make me so fucking hard I just want to cum all over the place while fucking a pony.
    January 2008
    4,468 Posts
    it's an addon for previous versions of gmod.

also I don't trust streaming only systems. Onlive proved how unfeasible it is for whole games. Why should I trust workshop to allow people to keep what they download?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,150 Posts
    But garry, the legacy addons don't work at all. ' ^ '
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,268 Posts
    Not really a big deal, the only Legacy addons I have are ragdolls. I'd say for the rest of the stuff, like tools, it does make more sense to have them via workshop. Updates applied whenever ready.

12. Post #12
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,590 Posts
    Check this out for packing them

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Workshop/Creating_addons

Developing, well, you're on your own.
    that uploads it to the workshop too

uploading it, subscribing, moving the .gma, then deleting the file from the workshop isn't fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    168 Posts
    Legacy addons will continue to be useful for addons that are larger than upload limit of Workshop. Workshop has it's pros, but for addons that are huge (i.e., gamemodes with tons of custom content), we're kinda stuck with legacy addons. The other issue is development, which to me, it's crucial to have some system other than workshop to get our content tested while also not having to grime up the default garrysmod folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2011
    40 Posts
    "Legacy support" is a general technical term to denote older software/features that are often hacked together to be supported in newer environments where they aren't natively supported -- and therefore aren't ideal to use -- and have no guarantee to receive continued support. A not-entirely-accurate equivalent would be "backwards compatibility".

Windows 2000/DOS compatibility mode in XP/Vista/7 is a prime example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    1,356 Posts
    Legacy addon = addon that isn't on workshop.

Workshop addons are better because they don't slow down loadtimes. Each legacy addon you have installed adds to the overall loadtimes.

Plus workshop addons are updated automatically. And installed automatically.

The legacy addon system is only there because people would bitch if it wasn't. (but as tonight has shown, they'll bitch either way).
    Can you see the files you've downloaded from the workshop? Like, the source?
    Otherwise it'd be pretty useless for open-source projects and such.

16. Post #16
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts
    How exactly do we use legacy addons? I tried installing an addon into my addons folder, renamed info.txt to addon.txt, but Garry's Mod wasn't detecting it. Is there another step I'm missing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member

March 2010
    149 Posts
    it's an addon for previous versions of gmod.

also I don't trust streaming only systems. Onlive proved how unfeasible it is for whole games. Why should I trust workshop to allow people to keep what they download?
    the users do keep what they have, they download a gma file and that gma file gets updated as you update your addon.

18. Post #18

November 2011
    20 Posts
    I have the same problem when i am trying to use Legacy-addons. Gmod does not recognise them as addons (i cant even acces the moddels throug the explorer) Does anyone know how to get them into the game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts
    Did you rename info.txt?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20

November 2011
    20 Posts
    I found a solution in one of the other threads.

You need to rename the info.txt file to addon.txt then it should work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2008
    550 Posts
    When I hear that term, I think of the Legacy Addon Browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,115 Posts
    When I hear that term, I think of the Legacy Addon Browser.
    that's what i mean:

the most annoying thing for me right now is, how to get all
    the custom models (previously "installed" in certain folders
    within the addon folder) to show up in the specified folders.
    an example: i want to have all the custom content from, let's
    say Sin Episodes usable in GMod. So i drag'n drop he model+
    material folders from the GFC into an folder called SinEpisodes
    (which i created in the addons folder), make an addon.txt and done.
    well that worked pretty good before the update. there's a reason
    why people have different folders INSIDE the addon folder. to easily
    browse through specific folders, to not override materials of other
    addons, etc.. now the spawnmenu or the browsing
    for specific models is a pain in the ass. because of the lack of specified
    folders. sure, Left4Dead is merged (for example) and shows up really nice in
    the left side of the spawnmenu for easy browsing. now it seems you have
    to create the SinEpisodes folder ingame because the program just didn't
    recognize it inside the addon folder. why the heck does it have to be so
    complicated?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2011
    484 Posts
    I found a solution in one of the other threads.

You need to rename the info.txt file to addon.txt then it should work
    I don't know about you all but it didn't work for me.

24. Post #24
    December 2010
    883 Posts
    So what I got is...the Legacy addon is No more. Keep using the Workshop because its better.
    Alright moving on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)