1. Post #1
    (or: Forbes' reporters know jackshit nothing about the videogame industry, the internet, or EA)

Multiple reports of a coupon code glitch at EAís online Origin store point to an exploit which allowed customers to enter a coupon code and receive $20 off an infinite number of games.

The loophole was first discovered on Slickdeals and quickly spread Ė as news of free games often does.

So letís contrast two interesting phenomenons.

On the one hand, you have a glitch allowing users to essentially exploit EA and get a bunch of the games they offer on Origin for free, and unsurprisingly people jump at the opportunity.

On the other hand, you have something like the Humble Indie Bundle, a pay-what-you-want service allowing gamers to get indie games on the cheap and support charity and the developers at the same time. The fifth installment of the Humble Indie Bundle raked in over $5 million.

So what gives?

Why do people rush to get free games on Origin while at the same time pay for games they could basically get for free in the Humble Indie Bundle?

I donít think this is EA-specific, but I do suspect thereís enough broad animosity toward publishers and sympathy toward indie developers that taking from the former feels justified while giving to the latter feels like the right thing to do.

Thatís clearly not solid ethics at play [update: I can see the logic behind this works - the coupon is EA-generated, users are just using the loophole from a legitimate coupon, etc.] but you can see how the logic plays out. The big, greedy corporation vs. the small guy is an old story doomed to be repeated.

A story doomed to be repeated because, at its core, thereís some big truths in there. The bigness of EA makes them seem impersonal and out of touch compared to small studios. And more than just seem; they often are out of touch with their consumer base. Maybe thatís inevitable.

This is the core driving factor behind something like Kickstarter, also.

Strip away the bigness that creates a divide between content creators and their customers and make commerce personal in a way it simply isnít with the big faceless entities like EA.

Iíve reached out to EA about the coupon glitch and will report back if and when I hear something.

No word on whether EA will take action against anyone who utilized it, though so far it appears no bans have taken place.

P.S. One theory Iíve seen floated is that EA did this intentionally to grow its user base. Iím going to call this one as ďnot likelyĒ in the ďnot a snowballís chance in HellĒ category.

First of all, they wouldnít take the coupon down if that were the case. Second, itís just an enormous stretch to think that EA is running that elaborate of a scheme on the hope and prayer somebody figures it out and is then able to spread the news properly, etc. If they wanted to grow their user base, they could use all sorts of upfront promotions and sales to do that.

As it stands, probably people who already have an Origin account were the most likely to use the exploit.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...coupon-glitch/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Late Late x 54Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    Why do people rush to get free games on Origin while at the same time pay for games they could basically get for free in the Humble Indie Bundle?
    Free is so far from almost free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2011
    633 Posts
    Late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,080 Posts
    A) because I don't give a shit if it's Origin or Steam, free is free
    B) because the HIB has incentives for putting actual money into it??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    ( Õ°¬į Õú Ė Õ°¬į)
    Dennab
    April 2010
    323 Posts
    I did it simply to stick it to EA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 10Agree x 6Dumb x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I don't really know why I'm getting lates since this is the first piece of news coverage on the whole thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2011
    305 Posts
    I did it simply to stick it to EA.
    I did it simply to get sim city 4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,080 Posts
    I don't really know why I'm getting lates since this is the first piece of news coverage on the whole thing
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217991
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    why not just pirate it at this point

at least then you aren't mooching off their servers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,798 Posts
    Shitty-ass reporter, the purpose of the HIB is not so that people can say "Oh I can legitimately get this for free, guess I'll do that then"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #11

You don't get original CD keys for multiplayer when pirating and the laughably low amount of users makes Origin downloads even faster than Steam.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    Except then you don't get public multiplayer or updates.

13. Post #13
    ( Õ°¬į Õú Ė Õ°¬į)
    Dennab
    April 2010
    323 Posts

EA games are hardly worth the bandwidth. I'm just glad that I have done my duty to help injure the company that murdered Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Bioware, Bullfrog, Ubisoft, and even Maxis to a degree. EA has flooded the market with lackluster content and pandering to casuals, destroyed the lives of great developers, and inspired worse companies such as Zynga to step in. Mooching off of their servers and forcing them to pay for bandwidth costs and damage control is exactly what I want.

We are the colonists.
    EA is King George III.
    This is our declaration.

As edgy as that sounds, this event is a major victory for the PC Master Race.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    EA games are hardly worth the bandwidth. I'm just glad that I have done my duty to help injure the company that murdered Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Bioware, Bullfrog, Ubisoft, and even Maxis to a degree. EA has flooded the market with lackluster content and pandering to casuals, destroyed the lives of great developers, and inspired worse companies such as Zynga to step in. Mooching off of their servers and forcing them to pay for bandwidth costs and damage control is exactly what I want.

We are the colonists.
    EA is King George III.
    This is our declaration.

As edgy as that sounds, this event is a major victory for the PC Master Race.
    this is a good example of a spergy bad post
    well, assuming you said this unironically
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #15
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    How did you miss it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    He was posting the news article. He was pointing out how hilarious forbes was.
    This is not notifying other people of the glitch.
    Seeing as the glitch doesn't work anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,584 Posts
    God damn Forbes is in love with the HIB. Free VS Semi-Free always leads to free winning. I got a good amount of great games for the price of 0.00.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    I do suspect thereís enough broad animosity toward publishers and sympathy toward indie developers that taking from the former feels justified while giving to the latter feels like the right thing to do.
    That's pretty true. At least for me.

19. Post #19
    A) because I don't give a shit if it's Origin or Steam, free is free
    B) because the HIB has incentives for putting actual money into it??
    that plus HiB sometimes has very very bad games

and you have you pay above the average for more

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

July 2005
    3,180 Posts
    I got copies of games that I have in physical boxes, so I can just download and install them at the same time, instead of popping disks. (Oddly enough, yes it does take me more time to install from disk! )

Oh and time to whore hearts.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    November 2010
    2,406 Posts
    Oh and time to whore hearts.
    Fine have your hearts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    8,804 Posts
    What part of Humble Indie Bundle is it they don't get?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    My FaVoRiTe CoLoR <3
    August 2006
    3,967 Posts
    Looks like I missed another chance for a free games. Once with Dirt3 and now this.

At least I got two free copies of Dead Space 2 on Origin. As useless as that is...