1. Post #161
    April 2011
    266 Posts
    Case closed.

BREAKING NEWS: Valve Writer Marc Laidlaw Begins Sentence Without Capital Letter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,039 Posts
    BREAKING NEWS: Valve Writer Marc Laidlaw Begins Sentence Without Capital Letter
    he should borrow some capital letters from you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Funny x 46Zing x 9Useful x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    June 2011
    2,936 Posts
    Many websites are already talking about this game, although OP didn't provide any source. Because no one of them is checking it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 12Zing Zing x 2 (list)

4. Post #164
    November 2010
    1,395 Posts
    Well, there goes all the hype about a space game.

But this isn´t the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    793 Posts
    I think that Valve should incorporate the Half-life universe in this game and make the combine one of the Alien races. If this game is even real.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #166
    December 2010
    654 Posts
    Many websites are already talking about this game, although OP didn't provide any source. Because no one of them is checking it.
    I liked this quote from PCGamer.
    The Facepunch post picked up by Kotaku references an unspecified inside source claiming that Valve are making an open, privateer-esque space adventure called Stars of Barathrum. There’s no supporting evidence, though, so you could find a salt planet, mine it dry and still lack the salt with which to take that rumour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,001 Posts
    gonna start pulling shit out of my ass, possible relation to this? http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Prospero
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Disagree x 10Optimistic x 3Dumb x 1Late x 1Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    look at the OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #169
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    790 Posts
    gonna start pulling shit out of my ass, possible relation to this? http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Prospero
    linked article posted:
    In June 2006, Gabe Newell stated that he would like to resume work on Prospero after Team Fortress 2 was completed.
    The question is... Is TF2 complete?

Edited:

Probably not as long as there are more hats to be made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #171
    hey look, i called it just in time

12. Post #172
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,924 Posts
    So where exactly was it said this whole game didn't exist? I only saw a mail saying the name is incorrect and that it's "old" concept art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,072 Posts
    So where exactly was it said this whole game didn't exist? I only saw a mail saying the name is incorrect and that it's "old" concept art.
    There are times when you need to keep up your hopes despite the evidence against it. This is not one of them. There really isn't even much to go on for the game. Concept art is created, evaluated and tossed out all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    March 2010
    7,606 Posts
    One can only hope.

What else could a studio as large as Valve be doing? They can't be making hats, they already outsourced those to other developers and prominent community figures here on FP.

I have a feeling they've been having an itch to start a large project again, like Half Life 2 where it took 6 years to develop. And before you say Half Life 3, I'm pretty sure its been put in the backburner a long time ago and they will come back to it when they feel like it. There isn't much new creative direction they could use with Half Life 3, where as this mysterious Space game could have countless possibilities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    May 2008
    4,738 Posts
    Well, they are currnetly working on/updating CS:GO, TF2, Dota 2, HL3/EP3 (I presume this as gabe says the same people are still working on it), small teams for older games and so on.

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,072 Posts
    One can only hope.

What else could a studio as large as Valve be doing? They can't be making hats, they already outsourced those to other developers and prominent community figures here on FP.

I have a feeling they've been having an itch to start a large project again, like Half Life 2 where it took 6 years to develop. And before you say Half Life 3, I'm pretty sure its been put in the backburner a long time ago and they will come back to it when they feel like it. There isn't much new creative direction they could use with Half Life 3, where as this mysterious Space game could have countless possibilities.
    For the last - what, 6-9 months? I don't even know - they've been working heavily on Dota 2, CS:GO and the Pyromania/MvM updates for TF2. Not to mention the updates to the Steam client they've been doing above their normal stuff - porting to Linux, the massive updates that included things like the game hubs and Greenlight, etc..

I mean, I'm not saying there's absolutely 0 chance they could possibly be working on an entirely new game, just saying keep whatever hopes you have at a reasonable level. Trust me, letting your hopes get too high and having them destroyed is one of the worst feelings in the world. I'm still not over the last time it happened to me.

17. Post #177
    Well, they are currnetly working on/updating CS:GO, TF2, Dota 2, HL3/EP3 (I presume this as gabe says the same people are still working on it), small teams for older games and so on.
    ep3? says who?

18. Post #178
    May 2008
    4,738 Posts
    ep3? says who?
    I'm taking that from the Ricochet 2 interview where Gabe says the same people who were working on it are still working on it.

19. Post #179
    I'm taking that from the Ricochet 2 interview where Gabe says the same people who were working on it are still working on it.
    oh i remember that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    May 2008
    4,738 Posts
    Also from this: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/new...2-leak.180559/ we can see it wasn't purely concept art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #181
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,039 Posts
    sob.fgd was in sfm beta but they removed it later to prevent leaks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Zing Zing x 4Informative Informative x 3 (list)

22. Post #182
    September 2012
    222 Posts
    sob.fgd was in sfm beta but they removed it later to prevent leaks
    News flash: Companies don't usually start developing games a month before they're announced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    May 2008
    4,738 Posts
    News flash: Companies don't usually start developing games a month before they're announced.
    What are you talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,989 Posts
    Breaking news: Bleacher is stating the obvious!

Hang on, we've got some more breaking news: Ducks can infact fly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

25. Post #185
    August 2010
    50 Posts
    So you still haven't answered, where did you hear the name of the game. The images you posted have been around for months.
    He lied or his "source" trolled the shit out of him, so he asked for this thread to be closed. And now there's a ***ing Wiki out there and other misleading information on all the gaming sites.

This is all we know about it so far:

March, 2011: PoliticalGamer posts images of concept art for some unseen space game. - Link

September, 2011: References to a game called "SOB" and space entities are found in Dota 2 code files. - Link

February, 2012: "SOB" is finally linked to the March, 2011 concept art and the September, 2011 Dota 2 code. And a load more art is found on Peter Konig's portfolio. - Link

April, 2012: Short clip of "SOB" found in Gray Horsfield's demo reel. - Link

We don't know what "SOB" means or stands for, we don't know any (and I mean "any") details on the gameplay, and we certainly don't know if this is going to be on the Oculus Rift or if it's even going to be released, ever...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 3 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,513 Posts
    http://www.pcgamer.com/tag/stars-of-barathrum/

wow PCGamer

wow

Several of those wall images match artwork in Peter Konig’s online portfolio, sparking speculation on Facepunch that Valve have worked on, or are working on, something set in space. All hands on deck, man the rumour cannon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Late Late x 8Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,040 Posts
    Attention citizens of Facepunch! There's an important official update on the situation straight from Peter (Pete) König himself as posted on his website!

http://www.peterhkonig.com/

I think the important message to take away from all this is that Gabe can and will murder you if you displease him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 31Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,959 Posts
    Knowing Gabe, he'd probably have a mighty fine proposition for silence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,156 Posts
    You think he has those knives just to look at?
    Fat chance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

30. Post #190
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts
    he also polishes them thank you very much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    Golden Egg
    June 2010
    828 Posts
    he also polishes them thank you very much
    Polishes them after ELIMINATING THOSE WHO SPEAK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,924 Posts
    Gabe has recently talked about the "SoB" game during the 4chan /v/ birthday visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9T79n0#t=2892s

It was named Stars of Blood (SoB) and was a space pirate game that never saw the light of day.

Oh well. Guess that ends this thread then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 16Informative Informative x 5Zing Zing x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    What is this game even?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,430 Posts
    What is this game even?
    Something like Wing Commander: Privateer, maybe? There's more information on ValveTime. By the way, there was also "Seas of Blood" trademark, registered (by a Valve developer) back in 2003.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Turkey Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

35. Post #195
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    How is my above post dumb? Do any of you know what the game IS? What roll do ships play? How do you play your character? For all you know.. the game could be like pandemic, but in space. Or it could be a highly linear first person shooter with ships and futuristic cities in the backdrop.

36. Post #196
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    How is my above post dumb? Do any of you know what the game IS? What roll do ships play? How do you play your character? For all you know.. the game could be like pandemic, but in space. Or it could be a highly linear first person shooter with ships and futuristic cities in the backdrop.
    it isn't anything there's no point in further discussion because the project was canceled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,698 Posts
    I can just imagine a Stars of Blood / Prospero fanfic where they meet in a singles bar after having suffered Gabe's rejection.

And then in walks The Crossing.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    January 2010
    996 Posts
    I can just imagine a Stars of Blood / Prospero fanfic where they meet in a singles bar after having suffered Gabe's rejection.

And then in walks The Crossing.   
    And Ricochet is passed out drunk in the corner in a pile of it's own vomit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

39. Post #199
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    Day of defeat and l4d stoned in the corner. Wanting weed but never finding it...

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,450 Posts
    Meanwhile, Postal 3 is completely piss-drunk, furious and attempting to pick fights with everyone, all while swearing in Russian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)