1. Post #1
    i like to scam people

September 2012
    32 Posts
    Hey guys i am working on a DarkRP server.
    My question is, what do you guys hate about DarkRP
    And how can DarkRP be better.
    In my server:

Admins will always be online.
    We will have an age restriction of 15 and older, allthough i am still 13.
    And more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    331 Posts
    I hate how it's Dark RP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,298 Posts
    If you're not stealing money-printers from other people as a mobster, you're either the Gundealer, the Mayor, or Civil Protection. Every other profession has absolutely no use what so ever, nobody depends on them for anything but stealing their money-printers. If you're not playing gangsters, mayor, or gundealer, you're going to be bored to tears because you can't do anything that will have any significant effect on the game. You're like a mortal spectator to the game, who spawns money-printers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2010
    587 Posts
    Bad RP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    If you're not stealing money-printers from other people as a mobster, you're either the Gundealer, the Mayor, or Civil Protection. Every other profession has absolutely no use what so ever, nobody depends on them for anything but stealing their money-printers. If you're not playing gangsters, mayor, or gundealer, you're going to be bored to tears because you can't do anything that will have any significant effect on the game. You're like a mortal spectator to the game, who spawns money-printers.
    Basically, DarkRP needs more reasons for people to interact outside of trying to kill each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    super hl2rp script
    January 2010
    2,859 Posts
    DarkRP only works if you do what OA does and force people into a scripted, linear environment of:
    1. Wake up.
    2. Go to the shop.
    3. Buy food.
    4. Go home.
    5. Sleep and repeat.

It could work with a couple of friends, but you should add some scripted features to make all other jobs required. Maybe even get rid of the crime-oriented jobs all together.

What I'm saying is make it original. Not every server needs the good guys vs the bad guys as they make guns and ammo appear out of no where, and then they have constant warfare in the street.

lol. do you not know how easy it is to fake your age on the internet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    the maturity (or the lack-there-of) of the playerbase
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    It could work with a couple of friends, but you should add some scripted features to make all other jobs required. Maybe even get rid of the crime-oriented jobs all together.?
    I actually like seeing crime without specific jobs for it. It makes it feel like emergent gameplay, criminal organizations popping up from players just deciding it works for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    1,217 Posts
    Its not sandbox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,781 Posts
    In my server:

Admins will always be online. Doesn't fix anything
    We will have an age restriction of 15 and older, allthough i am still 13. ...DOESN'T FIX ANYTHING!
    And more.
    Simski put it out rather nicely.
    RP can only exist if it obeys the Butterfly Effect. If one player can't radically change everything for the entire community, then RP will not exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2012
    49 Posts
    I hate the fact that it was stolen from the original Light-RP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    STOP POST
    April 2012
    132 Posts
    I hate the fact that every server you go on, they're mostly all 9 year old children, whinging and bitching about something that's realistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2012
    88 Posts
    I hate how its arguably the most hated Gamemode yet no one tries to think outside of the box to try to change it. In-fact Im quite sure people hate the players it attracts instead of the gamemode yet they always blame the gamemode.

As the saying goes. A workman always blames his tools.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I hate how its arguably the most hated Gamemode yet no one tries to think outside of the box to try to change it. In-fact Im quite sure people hate the players it attracts instead of the gamemode yet they always blame the gamemode.

As the saying goes. A workman always blames his tools.
    I've always wanted to try, but a combination of a lack of money, people, motivation, time and DDoS attack protection have kinda been in the way.

15. Post #15
    July 2010
    175 Posts
    I have been working on a darkrp edit with someone that should have some cool features. But have any of you seen all the custom darkrp servers out there?

I mean the top servers on garrysmod are darkrp servers and they definitely aren't lacking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    massive buzzkill who doesn't understand human anatomy and likes it when orphan children cry
    August 2012
    476 Posts
    Honestly, I think DarkRP needs to be totally reworked in order to be good again.
    First of all, remove ALL forms of auto-salary. It's terrible. All you have to do is go AFK for 10 mins and you've got $500 easily. Some classes (such as gun dealer) should have a bit of start-up money. Max should be $1,800 (gun dealer only there, chefs and others would need less). And if you change class (or job, whatever) you would lose all that money, and anything you bought that hadn't been sold would disappear. The money would also be non-transferable e.g. if you're a gun dealer, you can't buy food with it. It's locked to buying guns ONLY. With Chefs it would be for buying ingredients (more on this later), that they couldn't eat (it would be locked to only other players being able to) unless they had grown it themselves.

The police force needs a redo. Instead of just whatever cop who gets to the jail to collect bail gets the money all should when bail is collected, and when a criminal is arrested.

The mayor should not be exempt to the no-salary rule. They would be able to get money by holding events such as prop-olympics. Mafia would be funded by their rewards from crime. Thieves would have to steal and stuff so they can get cash.

S.W.A.T. are useless, so get them the heck out of DarkRP unless they are Bots during a lockdown (which never happens anyway)

Radio hosts would get paid by people advertising on the radio (to get rid of that stupid free advertising system)
    Wire Tech guys would get paid by the work they do, and the rest of the server would have Wire and all toolgun (except Weld, Easy Weld, Material, Remover, etc) stuff.

The hobo job is pretty much well OK by me at this point.

There should also be object-specific demotions, such as guns (if you've been categorized into the gun demote area, you would both lose your current job and any form of gun usage.

Guns themselves need to be reworked, to make it be that only certain jobs can use them. But other jobs can still have them, and they can only fire at a person if that person has just shot at them.

And, so that people can still buy shops and that even though there's no starting money, allow them to have a max of three doors and then they have to pay for them. Or put them in "debt", so if they haven't payed for one of the doors they start taking damage (if they die and respawn, they lose all their doors.)

That's really all DarkRP needs to be fixed and working again. Also get rid of everyone who thinks it's meant to be realistic, because it isn't ;)

I would modify it myself, but I'm inexperienced with code and currently making my own Mod. So maybe someone could do it and give a small bit of credit to me :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2012
    88 Posts
    The main problem with "Making DarkRP better" is you will still get the target audience of 10 year old DDOSing kids joining. Its best to get the gamemode and change its name slightly to attract a new audience and reputation you would have to get the creator of DarkRP's permission unless you wanted to code everything from scratch.

18. Post #18
    PROUD BRONY 4LYFE
    February 2009
    3,312 Posts
    The main problem with "Making DarkRP better" is you will still get the target audience of 10 year old DDOSing kids joining. Its best to get the gamemode and change its name slightly to attract a new audience and reputation you would have to get the creator of DarkRP's permission unless you wanted to code everything from scratch.
    DarkRP is near enough completely open source, the only thing you should keep in is the credits but we can't force you to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2012
    88 Posts
    DarkRP is near enough completely open source, the only thing you should keep in is the credits but we can't force you to.
    Ah. Thanks for informing me :)

20. Post #20
    September 2007
    386 Posts
    DarkRP is too simple and too available.. and the worst part is the extreme fast walking speed which is BAD for roleplaying.. but 12 year old admins like that part.
    i hate how 99% of darkrp servers use the rp_downtown maps. mappers have created so many maps but rp_downtown which is one of the worst maps is still being used. i miss the old days with rp_hometown1999/2000, rp_csdesert, rp_OMGcity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,781 Posts
    DarkRP is too simple and too available(good thing).. and the worst part is the extreme fast walking speed which is BAD for roleplaying(which can be modified by the server owner).. but 12 year old admins like that part(Most Dark RP servers I've played on usually don't have 12 year old admins.).
    i hate how 99% of darkrp servers use the rp_downtown maps. mappers have created so many maps but rp_downtown which is one of the worst maps is still being used. i miss the old days with rp_hometown1999/2000(Wayyyyy to small), rp_csdesert(Shit), rp_OMGcity.(Crashy/Tons of Bugs/Not RP suited)
    The reason people use downtown_v2 is because it's a balanced map for the needs of DarkRP[or any cops vrs robbers game type]. It's also why Evocity is only popular with the PERP/Dark RP community.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,531 Posts
    I think that the problem isn't the gamemode, but it's interpretation. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of servers have lost touch with what DarkRP is. DarkRP is a gamemode intended to be played as RP, but in the garry's mod universe. Not some sort of 0MG R3AL RP HARDCORE REALISM SERIOUS ONLY CUSTOM JOBS SUPER WEAPONS, or a re creation of real life (honestly, if you want that just go outside and do shit) but life in the world of gmod. Mingebags, contraption wizards and everyone else exist, everyone owns a toolgun or physgun, and propsurfing is not a bannable offence, but a sport organized by the mayor.

TL;DR 12 year olds looking for the tactic00l omg real life but with guns cause i cant get a life are what I hate about RP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23

September 2012
    1 Posts
    Well, the one thing that I think is crap about DarkRP is the fact that props disappear when you D/C. Therefore maintaining an actual house or shop is impossible.

I understand it is to prevent prop spam but, you should have an admin online to deal with that. A player base can't maintain itself...

This is just my experience with it, pointing me to a server where it doesn't have these crap regulations would be excellent.

24. Post #24
    February 2009
    1,361 Posts
    Oh boy, this isn't going to end well.

I don't necessarily hate anything about DarkRP itself, other than it being really overused. Its new VGUI also looks pretty horrid (in my opinion).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I had to buy my own title because no one loves me
    April 2011
    242 Posts
    I hate how most servers are run. DarkRP in and of itself is intended to be open and available and each server can run it however they like, but most servers don't encourage RP. They make up stupid rules that make no sense and turn it into "deathmatch, except whenever someone dies they bitch in chat about rules for 10 minutes until someone is banned".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    September 2010
    446 Posts
    I dont mind DarkRP.

The classes need to be more balanced as said above. People should have to rely on a Cook for food to keep playing, etc. People need to rely on every class to do their job or its all pointless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #27

March 2010
    12 Posts
    Impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2008
    1,326 Posts
    The mayority of players.

29. Post #29
    February 2010
    1,015 Posts
    the fact that it's the most popular thing on gmod right now, when gmod has the potential to create so many gamemodes that are more fun but people would rather have a 24/7 fastdl darkrp server with nude alyx models
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    super hl2rp script
    January 2010
    2,859 Posts
    The fact that everyone is too bloody lazy to do something creative and productive with it. It is a great base, but the only single bloody thing people bloody do is add admin jobs, and then they completely re-brand it, just because they think it makes them look professional. That is what I hate about DarkRP.

31. Post #31
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    The fact that everyone is too bloody lazy to do something creative and productive with it. It is a great base, but the only single bloody thing people bloody do is add admin jobs, and then they completely re-brand it, just because they think it makes them look professional. That is what I hate about DarkRP.
    Not 100% true.

I've seen some nice WW2 structures built from it (NOTHING to do with ByB so bite me) and I've also seem some great zombie builds spring from it.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,781 Posts
    It's true though.
    All you need to have a successful Dark RP server is a few crappy jobs, custom money printers, and some 'donation features'[aka, stuff you should have anyway].
    I've said this numerous times before, but most RP gamemodes now-a-days revolve around Cops vs Robbers, and don't actually deviant to anything more then that. Serious RP? Lolweebels vs Authority. Lite RP? Ganstas vs Cops. Semi-Serious? Webels/Fedoras vs Cops.

The problems with most of these gamemodes can be easily summed up rather nicely...

Serious RP
    1. Creativity begins to stagnate within a few months and players become bored.
    - Canon is so restrictive that it removes important aspects of creativity/story flow.

2. Two factions at war usually[forced story progression..?]. One faction being a 'popular' resistance movement, the other being military dictatorship.
    - Neutral groups usually are left out of great deals of RP.
    -- You need to be 'flagged' to join such groups.

3. Everything requires 'flags' to be something. You can't just say, 'I'm going to make ranger cookies with sweetners found in my ration packs!' without an admin banning you[relate to #1]
    - This also leads to neutral groups being left out of RP events.

Semi-Serious RP
    ... I'll be honest in saying this, Semi-Serious RP is bullshit. You are Lite or Serious. Running RP08/Applejack/Cider/City RP, does not change the fact that your gamemodes are heavily modified LiteRP* gamemodes, and still carry over the same issues which they have.

*GMod RP/Dark RP/Lite RP

Lite RP

1. Failed economics. Almost every gamemode in the LiteRP[or Semi-Serious] gametype has one sole form of money production, and then several support markets around it. The problem really isn't so much this, but usually the only form of money production is highly illegal[money printers/drugs], and most players are expected to 'take the risk' of doing it. This is bullshit. It's causing un-needed violence within the gametype which could easily be avoided by creating harvester n' producer economies which are controlled by the players[No F1 menu, or NPCS who 'buy' things]. Not to mention it wouldn't hurt player interaction... Probably would benefit it.

2. Polices Forces are purposefully underpowered to prevent them from overwhelming and enraging players which are trying to make money.
    - This causes lack of enforcement within the server, and the enforcement that is suited for the job is usually wiped out by taking on enemies which are in gigantic doomforts.

3. Most LiteRP gamemodes are highly exploitable. From small things like using props that are on fire to burn peoples homes down, all the way to being able crash servers by requesting/refreshing the Public List of Adv_Dupe.

4. Rules. No one uses them for intent purpose, but rather uses them to loophole certain situations or to blackmail other users. Rules don't stop chaos, they cause more of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #33

October 2012
    11 Posts
    In my server:

Admins will always be online.
    And more.
    Bountyhunters. They're basically just a dickhole job used to demote people from their jobs so others can take that job.