1. Post #2161
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,930 Posts
    Baby's first Kethane mining operation :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Cyprus Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2162
    January 2010
    9,675 Posts
    I decided to upscale my centrifuge large enough to be able to hold down smaller ships. Works great.

Take a cart, place it in there and drive around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 18Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2163
    Dennab
    September 2012
    581 Posts
    So, understanding this update correctly, C7. Will i be able to make a spacecraft carrying a secondary pod. If i undock this pod, given that it has the neccesary equipment to function, will i be able to fly that? I mean, can i deploy something like a probe or something like the dragonfly from orbiter(wich is essentially an orbital construction crane) and use it for fx. moving space station modules together?

I really want to do something like apollo where i can detach the lander and land it while still being able to pilot the orbital module. Could i launch a rocket from a plane and land the plane back at KSC? Could i construct an interstellar spacecraft in orbit and fly to Jool and beyond?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2164
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,085 Posts
    Baby's first Kethane mining operation :D

Seems your Kearth is being squished by an invisible force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #2165
    C7
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    321 Posts
    So, understanding this update correctly, C7. Will i be able to make a spacecraft carrying a secondary pod. If i undock this pod, given that it has the neccesary equipment to function, will i be able to fly that? I mean, can i deploy something like a probe or something like the dragonfly from orbiter(wich is essentially an orbital construction crane) and use it for fx. moving space station modules together?

I really want to do something like apollo where i can detach the lander and land it while still being able to pilot the orbital module. Could i launch a rocket from a plane and land the plane back at KSC? Could i construct an interstellar spacecraft in orbit and fly to Jool and beyond?
    You understand correctly sir.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14 (list)

6. Post #2166
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,728 Posts
    That is really, really awesome.
    I assume this also means you can construct ships in orbit, out of docked ships.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

7. Post #2167
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    So guys I got an idea for when 0.18 comes out: Facepunch Community Space Station

Basically we all take turns adding modules to the station and then upload the save after each flight.

Thoughts?
    Why stop there? Make companies, do "contracts", go full RPG !
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Romania Show Events Winner Winner x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #2168
    Dennab
    September 2012
    581 Posts
    Oh GOD YES!!

C7 you are my favorite dev, and was my favorite modder(I cant consider you a modder anymore since you are a developer now)

I miss bus sized wings though :( Made the raddest plane way back before the SPH, it could glide like a 4th of Kerbin, in the stratosphere, seriously i crossed the ocean with it.

Oh wait wait wait, will this also as a modder enable me to combine the docking stuff with genuine parts? So i could like have parts for orbital construction without having docks everywhere?
    That would save me some dead weight and loose joints.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #2169
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,544 Posts
    Why stop there? Make companies, do "contracts", go full RPG !
    Are you implying we play multi-team corporate chess through KSP?

I love it, if only because people will inevitably gonna start some skunkworks, maybe actually end up with a WMD or two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

10. Post #2170
    C7
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    321 Posts
    The docking ports are modules. But you can surface attach them to anything you want.

I've had a really fun time abusing the docking nodes in ways they were not originally intended to be used. For instance, to create drop ships. Put a Vtol craft in the air, hover down, lock docking clamp to the craft you want to airlift, fly off as one vessel. Land at destination, undock to drop cargo. Hard to pull off, but totally worth it.

You can also dock landed craft as well. Make a base, make a space station. Make some sort of crazy flotilla in space with all the ships you sent up. If you're particularly crazy, you could pull of oribital construction by sending up parts of the station docked to your delivery craft pre-launch, then docking to your station at the right port, undocking the tug, and repeating as needed.

Edit:: I'm doing a Q/A blog over at the forums if anyone is interested. At very least, I'm sure it will be amusing to read the questions.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...p/310-Q-A-Blog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #2171
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,584 Posts
    I've actually been trying to design a vtol that could deliver bases and RATs from a ship in orbit to a planet, but it's extremely hard

Any tips? My approach was simply trying to align the center of mass with the center of thrust, which works, but flips out of control as soon as it tilts a fraction of a degree from horizontal, and that plan goes out the window when I drop off cargo and the weight changes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2172
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,871 Posts
    my problem with making vtols is that you need to align everything perfectly
    ive had vtols with things aligned that just flipped around crazily

Edited:

i remember that my best vtol simply had a fueltank and an engine right under the com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #2173
    C7
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    321 Posts
    The best thing I can tell you is to have a look at real world examples. Like a sky crane. You'll notice that it's connecting pretty much directly under where the rotors are at, and it has a counter weight of the cockpit and long tail to help balance. Its probably one of the most complicated things to design though. You're not going to be moving things by a tether like most sky cranes do. So you tend to get much more drastic effects from the payload shifting.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

14. Post #2174
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I wish there were more devs like you guys. Gotta love the community interaction
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

15. Post #2175
    Dennab
    September 2012
    581 Posts
    Ive seen a skycrane in real life once!

And thanks for all the Q/A C7! Its really awesome!

I kind of hope you guys one day make spaceships buildt by people placed in other peoples games as derelicts and wrecks! it would be really nice discovering other peoples designs that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #2176
    February 2011
    17,871 Posts
    wasnt there a game that did that? it wasnt spore, was it

Edited:

so C7 told me that the wings generate lift based on their deflection angle
    does that mean that all this time i shouldnt have put them parallel to the ground

Edited:

and i noticed that ksp barely calculates drag
    i made an umbrella rocket, it doesnt change anything at all, same deltav in the end
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #2177
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,930 Posts
    The docking ports are modules. But you can surface attach them to anything you want.

I've had a really fun time abusing the docking nodes in ways they were not originally intended to be used. For instance, to create drop ships. Put a Vtol craft in the air, hover down, lock docking clamp to the craft you want to airlift, fly off as one vessel. Land at destination, undock to drop cargo. Hard to pull off, but totally worth it.

You can also dock landed craft as well. Make a base, make a space station. Make some sort of crazy flotilla in space with all the ships you sent up. If you're particularly crazy, you could pull of oribital construction by sending up parts of the station docked to your delivery craft pre-launch, then docking to your station at the right port, undocking the tug, and repeating as needed.

Edit:: I'm doing a Q/A blog over at the forums if anyone is interested. At very least, I'm sure it will be amusing to read the questions.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...p/310-Q-A-Blog
    Do you think you could slightly randomize the breaking threshold for individual solar panels? Or a dice roll every few ticks to see if it breaks while under breaking conditions? Just something that doesn't make them all shatter instantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #2178
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,008 Posts
    C7, is it possible to allow concave collision meshes or is it not supported by Unity or something?

Edited:

I always miss the times when he comes on here and answers questions.

19. Post #2179
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,297 Posts
    C7, is it possible to allow concave collision meshes or is it not supported by Unity or something?

Edited:

I always miss the times when he comes on here and answers questions.
    I don't know of any engine that does, there might be but the usual method is to just break it up into a bunch of smaller objects so each mesh is still convex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #2180
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,728 Posts
    I perfected my Orbital Rendevouz skills by gently rubbing 2 ships against eachother (just after running out of RCS fuel) and then backing off and slamming them into each other at full speed.

They both exploded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

21. Post #2181
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,980 Posts
    It seems Jebediah has been pondering walking machines...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #2182
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,783 Posts

Vall and Tylo from Laythe

Laythe and Vall from Tylo

And yes, the latter is not legit. First one is though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

23. Post #2183
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,647 Posts
    Take a cart, place it in there and drive around.
    The carts addon by "tosh", right? I've been playing with stock except for mechjeb up until now. What other addons would let me build it using fewer, larger parts? I've seen KW and novapunch remix mentioned a lot, so I grabbed those.

Edited:

wtf my load times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #2184
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,980 Posts
    DEMV MkII, Tosh's cart plugin, Modular Multiwheels
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

25. Post #2185
    February 2011
    17,871 Posts
    wanted to play garry's mod. ran into tim_barrett (the kspf pony guy)
    proceeded to express my feelings for him. shit was funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #2186
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,055 Posts
    The carts addon by "tosh", right? I've been playing with stock except for mechjeb up until now. What other addons would let me build it using fewer, larger parts? I've seen KW and novapunch remix mentioned a lot, so I grabbed those.

Edited:

wtf my load times
    the modular wheel addon is pretty useful

Edited:

remote control and deep space mission pack are also pretty cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #2187
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,370 Posts
    apparently its not tosh's carts anymore

its 6677's carts

rip tosh

Edited:

Also, if you have a buttload of mods

i would highly recommend using JSGME

i'll upload it in a sec

28. Post #2188
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,930 Posts
    I must admit I am fairly mod-a-holic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Cyprus Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2189
    February 2011
    17,871 Posts
    i would highly recommend using JSGME
    who
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2190
    December 2008
    18,370 Posts
    js generic mod enabler

Edited:

hi use this follow the instructions

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ic-Mod-Enabler

31. Post #2191
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,055 Posts
    is it not possible to have a plugin merge the quicksaves of two docked ships, making them one and so not drift apart in warp and be able to share fuel/antennae/crew/whatever so

you dock > quicksave > quicksaves merged > quickload the new merged save > 1 ship

32. Post #2192
    December 2008
    18,370 Posts
    is it not possible to have a plugin merge the quicksaves of two docked ships, making them one and so not drift apart in warp and be able to share fuel/antennae/crew/whatever so

you dock > quicksave > quicksaves merged > quickload the new merged save > 1 ship
    cant you wait until .18

also i'd do it if i knew what i was doing

Edited:

also

i actually opened the readme

why are they thanking bungie aerospace ???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #2193
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,584 Posts
    and i noticed that ksp barely calculates drag
    i made an umbrella rocket, it doesnt change anything at all, same deltav in the end
    doesn't each part have a set drag coefficient?

so those rectangle wing parts are set to have low drag, since 90% of the time they face head-on, but when you turn them sideways to use them as an umbrella it doesn't change anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #2194
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,055 Posts
    well KESSELER (the psuedo-mp thingy) sorta already can merge saves, and I know you can merge ships together by joining their .craft files so it should ​ be possible

35. Post #2195
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,647 Posts

Edited:

wtf my load times

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 32 (list)

36. Post #2196
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,569 Posts
    js generic mod enabler

Edited:

hi use this follow the instructions

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ic-Mod-Enabler
    Huh I've been using KSP Mod Manager since 0.16 and I've found that to be quite intelligent at dealing with mods that may or may not have an annoying "mod name" root folder in the zip. Unfortunately it can't check for mod updates though. I recommend it, but I haven't tried that generic one out either.

37. Post #2197
    January 2009
    1,489 Posts
    Hnnng
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #2198
    February 2009
    3,465 Posts
    Please upload this. It is pure genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #2199
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    I see that the stock pod has gained a nice big black heatshield.

and the stock docking ring is so nice i will need to make an adapter for my KOSMOS docking ring lol. damn.

40. Post #2200
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,127 Posts
    First thing i'm doing is making a kerbal replica of the ISS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)