1. Post #2121
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,037 Posts
    how the fuck did he live through that and even could hold a meeting a few hours later? i cannot comprehend
    He got sucked into the engine air intake, but not the engine itself. Something stopped him from proceeding that far. AFAIK the engine in an A-6 is some 15-20 feet behind the intake itself, fed with a great big duct.

Guy got VERY lucky that something hooked on the way in. I read somewhere that his hand was only a few inches from going into the engine itself, and the fireball out the back was produced by a lot of his gear getting sucked through the engine anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2122
    January 2010
    9,769 Posts
    I once saw a picture of something like that happening with an boeing or whatever.

that person certainly did not survive

there was nothing but a red goo spread over a giant area behind that engine   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #2123
    August 2012
    1,473 Posts
    Okay, How the fuck do I land on Minmus, I can land on the moon just fine, But how do i make my orbit similar to Minmus's orbit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #2124
    February 2010
    3,297 Posts
    how the fuck did he live through that and even could hold a meeting a few hours later? i cannot comprehend
    That was horrifying to watch, but I watched another video on this and that guy is lucky as hell. When he got sucked in, his helmet got sucked right off his head and impacted the blades, slowing it enough that it didn't have enough suction to pull him into the engine. His shoulder also got caught on something, slowing him down.

In the end he broke a collar bone, has a steel plate in his wrist, and has a scar above his eye.

[Edit] Late
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #2125
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I remember this. His helmet was unstrapped, so it got sucked off his head and into the fan blade

Edited:

DAMN IT WHY485

Edited:

AND ALSO TESTECULL I GUESS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

6. Post #2126
    January 2009
    3,943 Posts
    If we use a physical properties system we won't have to worry about overly-specific mods if we don't want to. Tanks hold x 'liquid' unless you want a tank to only hold a certain thing, engines will use 'liquid' or'gas' for simplicity's sake unless you want an engine that only runs on kethane or something.
    Individual fuels can be balanced by weight/density/? and some property about how well they burn or something, so instead of sticking a warp drive onto your rocket you just fill the tanks with unicorn farts that burn perfectly and are so light that 200 L of them weigh as much as, well, a unicorn fart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #2127
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,652 Posts

fuller, more explanatory video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

8. Post #2128
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,022 Posts
    How's this look?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #2129
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,648 Posts
    How's this look?

A very plausable engine :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2130
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,470 Posts
    Also after reading harv's orbital controls blag

okay

owns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

11. Post #2131
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,404 Posts
    late

12. Post #2132
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    5,325 Posts
    So the moral of the story is never buckle your helmet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2133
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,648 Posts
    I have seen pictures of human paste after it was run through a jet engine. It is not pretty @__@ I can only hope such deaths are quick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #2134
    January 2009
    1,490 Posts
    I have seen pictures of human paste after it was run through a jet engine. It is not pretty @__@ I can only hope such deaths are quick.
    Wow thanks for making me look that up. I hate curiosity sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #2135
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,269 Posts
    I would think your mind would like to be a dick at the last moments and elongate it so you feel that shit foreverrrr,
    because your brian loves you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

16. Post #2136
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,838 Posts
    Wow thanks for making me look that up. I hate curiosity sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 30Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #2137
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I just took a bunch of 12800x7200 pixel photos of me orbiting Eve.

Holy. Shit. It's awesome.

Edited:

http://puu.sh/1oqns

Link because it's fucking huge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #2138
    Swaggon owner
    August 2011
    4,922 Posts
    who wants the link!

Dammit why did i even look this up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #2139
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,939 Posts
    So apparently the solar panels from MMI don't work and won't be updated since there are stock ones coming with .18.

I was really hoping to use solar panels + ion engine for some free delta-v in space.

Oh well, guess that mission will have to wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Cyprus Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #2140
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,072 Posts
    I just took a bunch of 12800x7200 pixel photos of me orbiting Eve.

Holy. Shit. It's awesome.

Edited:

http://puu.sh/1oqns

Link because it's fucking huge
    teach me your ways, master
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #2141
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #2142
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #2143
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,264 Posts
    I once saw a picture of something like that happening with an boeing or whatever.

that person certainly did not survive

there was nothing but a red goo spread over a giant area behind that engine   
    This right here.

NSFW, it's a bit gory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2144
    January 2009
    1,490 Posts
    This right here.

NSFW, it's a bit gory.
    Kerbal Space Program: Being turned into paste by a jet engine edition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

25. Post #2145
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,209 Posts
    This right here.

NSFW, it's a bit gory.
    Then there's the other picture showing the ejection path that looks just like that for a good 50 feet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #2146
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,597 Posts
    This right here.

NSFW, it's a bit gory.
    Because that's only one pic, here's the whole album. Don't click if you are eating, hungry, weak stomached, vegan or pregnant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #2147
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,690 Posts
    Jesus fucking Christ.

28. Post #2148
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,642 Posts
    hey guys can we please stop sharing pictures and videos of people dying/almost dying and get back to posting virtual rockets that blow up on the launch pad and or go to planets??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

29. Post #2149
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    Wtf happened to this thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #2150
    December 2008
    18,470 Posts
    hey so remember that plugin someone said existed that stopped the launchpad lag

here it is

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...-with-Slowdown

Edited:

Hey C7, while you're here

any chance of implementing some of these fixes/already fixed with new system from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ock-part-fixes ?

for lazy people
    Liquid engines can be individually disabled from the right-click menu, just like atmospheric engines.
    Engines (both liquid and atmospheric) will automatically coordinate with each other, prioritizing engines with the highest specific impulse at that moment. (This can be toggled in the engine right-click menu.)
    Atmospheric engines and legacy liquid engines show specific impulse in the right-click menu.
    RCS fuel flow can be toggled for each fuel tank.
    RCS fuel tanks show remaining fuel in right-click menu.
    Fuel tanks (including RCS fuel tanks) will properly reactivate when a plugin refills them from empty. RCS thrusters no longer get stuck in a deactivated state.
    Control surfaces won't flap in vacuum.
    Thrust-vectoring engines won't gimbal when the engine is idle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #2151
    April 2010
    4,945 Posts
    A lot of that will be fixed with their new system, I'd imagine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events

32. Post #2152
    C7
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    321 Posts
    hey so remember that plugin someone said existed that stopped the launchpad lag

here it is

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...-with-Slowdown
    I'll talk to Harvester and see if we can add this as a settings option for slower computers. Seems a potentially minor change. Hmm.. as a matter of fact we could potentially have a setting for physics solver iterations as well.. You've just given me some pretty good ideas, thanks.

"I was really hoping to use solar panels + ion engine for some free delta-v in space."
    Ion engines are a stock part. They need a little bit of xenon gas to run so they're not OP. Its cheap delta-v. Just not free.

but long story short

so you are telling me i can have a proper escape system with action groups?

add top decoupler and tower to action group, hit button

Yea, I'm telling you exactly that. I've built an action group based escape system that ejects the cockpit from my spaceplane. Its fairly amusing. Nova's made a launch escape tower with the seperatrons and some structural trusses. Its fairly epic to see in action. So, yea. People are going to go wild with it. (Mike and I manged to get it done before the milestone deadline) Should be in 0.18 unless its bugsville and gets cut.

you can swear in here! and i always had this stupid idea (that could only obviously come from the mind of someone who never touched coding before): what if, during that loading / prelaunch period the game made a few profiles of the vessel to use for aerodynamics calculation? would probably be cheaper than doing it on all points of the surface (?)

Harvester and I actually talked about that a little while ago, and this exact technique came up. Its only useful until something on the craft changes. Then its no longer accurate. In KSP things are getting decoupled, breaking, and generally flying off constantly. You don't want a fat lag spike every time you decouple. That sort of thing is non trivial to process.

and yes you can swear
    I know, I just simply choose not to.

C7, is it/would it be possible to add something like the VAB symmetry system into SPH and vice-versa?
    And also for VAB symmetry to work correctly on horizontal parts?
    And some sort of custom parts system, where you can save groups of parts for easy recall (instead of having to load a whole bunch of ships)

More or less those are planned features

speaking of the DEMV MkII, C7, anything you can share about vanilla rovers? Or will they be left to modders as they are now? Also, any plans on giving us a reason to land on Laythe besides the pretty view and jet engine friendly atmosphere?

I cannot, since the plans aren't finalized yet. ;) All things in their proper time.

C7, do you have any plans for different propellant types for engines instead of just "liquidFuel"? Things like LOX, RP-1, Hydrazine, etc? It would make mod compatability so much easier if the devs defined some.

We choose to use liquid fuel as a nice analog to the old system. Its generic and prevents the complication of needed 10 fuel tanks, and wondering why your engines don't fire all the time. Modders, will of course do their own thing. I'm sure there will be a standardization of some kind. They've already done that with power to some degree. We generally set the precedent, and modders do as they please.

Edit::
    Liquid engines can be individually disabled from the right-click menu, just like atmospheric engines. (Implemented)
    Engines (both liquid and atmospheric) will automatically coordinate with each other, prioritizing engines with the highest specific impulse at that moment. (This can be toggled in the engine right-click menu.) (Not planned)
    Atmospheric engines and legacy liquid engines show specific impulse in the right-click menu. (Implemented)
    RCS fuel flow can be toggled for each fuel tank. (Implemented, universal function of resources, depends on flow type)
    RCS fuel tanks show remaining fuel in right-click menu. (Implemented, they use resources fyi)
    Fuel tanks (including RCS fuel tanks) will properly reactivate when a plugin refills them from empty. RCS thrusters no longer get stuck in a deactivated state. (We don't use fuel tanks anymore, resource system for the win. Besides pumping fuel is a stock feature, shh secret)
    Control surfaces won't flap in vacuum. (Adding that when I update them)
    Thrust-vectoring engines won't gimbal when the engine is idle. (You can gimbal lock the gimbal module with an action if you feel so inclined)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 22Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #2153
    December 2008
    18,470 Posts

congrats c7 and mike for getting action groups together

pat yourself on the back from me thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

34. Post #2154
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    C7, First, thanks for all the answers! I have a suggestion.

Right now, i make my interplanetary planes (For Eve or Laythe) on the SPH and then i need to go to the save folder and copy/paste the .craft from the SPH to the VAB folder so i can put some rockets on it and launch it like a shuttle.

It would be awesome if you added a "Copy to VAB" option somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2155
    January 2009
    1,490 Posts
    So guys I got an idea for when 0.18 comes out: Facepunch Community Space Station

Basically we all take turns adding modules to the station and then upload the save after each flight.

Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #2156
    『  』
    June 2010
    679 Posts
    So guys I got an idea for when 0.18 comes out: Facepunch Community Space Station

Basically we all take turns adding modules to the station and then upload the save after each flight.

Thoughts?
    what about guided missiles
    you know, flying a giant stack of engines and boosters into the station, destroying everything and splitting it all apart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #2157
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,652 Posts
    I decided to upscale my centrifuge large enough to be able to hold down smaller ships. Works great.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 32Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #2158
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,733 Posts
    (We don't use fuel tanks anymore, resource system for the win. Besides pumping fuel is a stock feature, shh secret)
    oh my god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

39. Post #2159
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,002 Posts
    I decided to upscale my centrifuge large enough to be able to hold down smaller ships. Works great.

Dude, you have created a space-debris collector!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

40. Post #2160
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,037 Posts

Thoughts?

Sounds like a cool-as-hell idea. I'll be sure to attach a rover to it because reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)