1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,058 Posts
    [TABLE][TR][TD]https://twitter.com/ShababLibya/stat...74851997794304
    Final Count- #Abushagur-96 and #Jibril-94.
    Dr Mustafa Abushagur is the new Prime Minister of Libya, the first PM to be appointed by the democratically elected General National Congress after it took power last month. He is a liberal, and replaces Abdurrahim el-Keib who was the caretaker Prime Minister leftover by the National Transitional Council after they handed over power in August.

The vote just happened so no article yet. He beat Mahmoud Jibril, leader of the liberal National Forces Alliance and wartime interim Prime Minister by 2 votes. The Muslim Brotherhood's candidate was defeated in the first round, receiving 41 votes to Abushagur's 55 and Jibril's 86. Abushagur had been the liberals' preferred candidate, until Jibril made a surprise late entry into the race.

Abushagur's government will run Libya for about 18 months, while a constituent assembly works on Libya's permanent constitution. Once the constitution passes a referendum, general elections will be held and Libya's political reconstruction will be largely complete. Congress will spend the coming days appointing Abushagur's cabinet ministers, after which the constituent assembly will presumably be their next priority.[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

His Wikipedia article

http://www.libyaherald.com/?p=13899

Libya Herald posted:
    Born in 1951 in Suq Al-Juma, now a suburb of Tripoli but then a village well outside the capital, he moved with his family to Ghariyan as a child and then returned to Suq AL-Juma for schooling. He went on to the University of Tripoli to study electrical engineering.

In 1975, he moved to the US to study at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) for his MSc and then a PhD which he gained in 1984. Refusing to return to the Libya of Muammar Gaddafi ó he soon became involved in Libyan student opposition politics in the US ó he became an academic, first at University of Rochester in 1984 then in 1985 at the University of Alabama in Huntsville where ten years later he became the Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering. There he made his mark as a world-class optical engineer. It resulted in his working for NASA on the US space programme, the US National Science Foundation, the Federal Aviation Authority and the Department of Defense. Later he established two optical companies and the PhD Program in Microsystems Engineering at the Rochester Institute of Technology. He set up and became president of RITís campus in Dubai in 2008. He has written extensively of optics, including some 100 academic papers.

After an absence of 31 years, he returned to Libya in May 2011, to Benghazi where he became an adviser to the NTC. He was appointed Deputy Prime Minister last November.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 88Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2007
    1,245 Posts
    Yes! An informed, logical-minded person in power. Miracles do happen in politics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 59Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

September 2008
    789 Posts
    Phew. I actually have high hopes for this guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2010
    498 Posts
    Yes! An informed, logical-minded person in power. Miracles do happen in politics.
    He'll just get gunned down if he tries anything funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,710 Posts
    Holy shit, this whole Libya mess has resolved itself really well. It's great to see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6

September 2008
    789 Posts
    Hopefully he gets up to date on the current state of his country in his long absence but with his list of achievements I have no doubt he'll be able to catch up quickly and effienctly to boot.

7. Post #7
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    16,089 Posts
    give him 2 days until he's assassinated?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,058 Posts
    This guy was my favourite for the position, but I thought Jibril would be great too. I tuned into the voting, and found it on the second round with only him and Jibril left in. Fuck yeah, I said

9. Post #9
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,597 Posts
    Amazing. I hope for everyone that Libya will get into a good stage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Faroe Islands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    June 2008
    1,183 Posts
    Now to see if he's up to the difficult task ahead.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Hope he's politically minded and not afraid to use a strong hand. A post-Revolution nation is a bitch to handle, historically.

Best of luck to the Libyan people, and may they be gifted with a better nation than any we've got now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,058 Posts
    I had a thread prepared for each of the three frontrunners, I'm glad I didn't have to post the Muslim Brotherhood one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    This is some of the most optimistic news I've heard in months.

14. Post #14
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,817 Posts
    Personally I didn't think they'd put a world-class electrician in charge, but at least this probably means better Libyan electrical infrastructure somewhere down the line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,353 Posts
    He'll just get gunned down if he tries anything funny.
    I think if he'll do the right thing in our eyes, but it would be bad in others.

I'm trying to recall several occasions in history where an educated man like this heads a new power only to be replaced by someone more fanatical. All I can recall close is china's nationalist party.

I hope the best and his cabinet have a good understand of history so they don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    Personally I didn't think they'd put a world-class electrician in charge, but at least this probably means better Libyan electrical infrastructure somewhere down the line.
    Electrical engineer does not equal electrician.

Edited:

(Or does it? I'll get back to you on that.)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,353 Posts
    Electrical engineer does not equal electrician.

Edited:

(Or does it? I'll get back to you on that.)

no, but there skills can overlap.

18. Post #18
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    ahmadinejad has a ph. d in transportation engineering ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    589 Posts
    I get a good vibe when I see that picture of him, he seems like a very nice guy. Am I the only one getting that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,817 Posts
    Neat; here's hoping they get good trains both for public transit and freight transport. That'd probably do wonders for the country's infrastructure, as good train networks usually do.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,058 Posts
    Personally I think there is a conspiracy by the electrical industry going on here. The Muslim Brotherhood's candidate Awad Barasi is also an electrical engineer, and the previous PM was an electrical engineer too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2009
    1,141 Posts

They lack the same facial structure and eyes but besides that...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,380 Posts
    This reminds me of the time Neil Degrasse Tyson was talking about what was wrong in Congress and the occupations of people in office: "Law, law, law, law, businessman, law. Where are the engineers? Where is the rest of life represented?"

It's interesting to actually see an engineer take office. I'm curious as to how this will pan out.

24. Post #24
    but a substantial number of islamic extremists are engineers

(i'm not even making this up)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts

Yeah.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Enginee..._woo#Terrorism
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts

We're planning on building Allahbots to take over the Western world.

Edited:

Regardless of his education, I still wish the best for Libya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2010
    2,119 Posts
    And then extremists try or will wreck his shit sadly. Unless Libya is very civilized.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,513 Posts
    I can't wait until the Libyan Space Agency leaves the rest of the world in the dust
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,058 Posts
    It's not an exact science, but the fact that Barasi got chucked out in the first round seems to prove that the Muslim Brotherhood is greatly outnumbered in Congress. 120 of the 200 members are independents with no official party affiliation, so it's been a little hard to tell, but this is a fairly good indicator I think.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    I had a thread prepared for each of the three frontrunners, I'm glad I didn't have to post the Muslim Brotherhood one
    I feel this is the good ending to an RTS or something

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I feel this is the good ending to an RTS or something
    I dunno man, feels like Mass Effect 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,327 Posts
    This guy was a former professor at my college!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,999 Posts
    This guy was a former professor at my college!
    I just came in here to say the same thing. There sure are a lot of RIT students on this forum.

Also turns out he wasn't just a professor, he was also the president of RIT's Dubai campus. The guy's definitely made some serious upward movement in his career.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,327 Posts
    I just came in here to say the same thing. There sure are a lot of RIT students on this forum.

Also turns out he wasn't just a professor, he was also the president of RIT's Dubai campus. The guy's definitely made some serious upward movement in his career.
    I actually go to University of Alabama in Huntsville. He was an Electrical and Computer Engineering professor here for 17 years.

35. Post #35
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,230 Posts
    but Fox News told me that Libyans only want radical Muslim extremists who hate America as their government representatives!

36. Post #36
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,999 Posts
    I actually go to University of Alabama in Huntsville. He was an Electrical and Computer Engineering professor here for 17 years.
    Oh, whoops. Dude gets around, I guess.