1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts

NYDailyNews posted:
    A St. Francis Prep student was killed when his head hit an overpass as he clowned around on a New Jersey-bound party bus and popped out of a hatch in the roof near the George Washington Bridge Friday night, authorities said.

Daniel Fernandez, 16, an incoming junior at the Queens Catholic school, Daniel Fernandez, 16,died at Hackensack University Medical Center from severe head trauma shortly after the 6:45 p.m. incident, law enforcement sources said.

Sixty-five teens boarded the double-decker bus in at the school in Fresh Meadows and had reached Fort Lee, N.J., on their way to a Sweet 16 party when the accident occurred, police said.

“When the bus went under the Fletcher Ave. overpass, the boy’s head struck the underside of that overpass,” a Port Authority spokesman said.

The security guard on the bus said he warned the exuberant teens to leave the rooftop hatch alone.

“I told them not to open the hatch, like three or four times, but kids, they don't understand,” said Alex Franco, 41, who was the security guard on the bus.

After warning them to keep away, Franco said he headed downstairs to tell the driver that it was getting too hot in the bus.

“It was very hot. Everybody was dancing. Two, five minutes I was downstairs,” Franco explained.

“Then I heard two guys screaming, ‘Oh my God, oh my God,’” and he ran upstairs.

“I saw him on the floor. His face was like, no teeth. I said, ‘Who is this guy?’”

In the pandemonium, Franco said he tried to move the other teens downstairs as the bus came to a halt.

Leon McKiver, an emergency medical technician, was passing the scene and stopped to help. “I’m still traumatized that this happened and especially that this happened to a young kid,” McKiver told NBC4.

Asked if the kids were consuming alcohol, Franco said, “If they drink, I don’t know.” He insisted that the passengers were checked for booze before they boarded, and that no alcohol was served on the bus.

No other passengers suffered any physical injury. All were transported to a Port Authority administration building nearby, where they were questioned and released to their parents.

The accident and subsequent investigation caused massive backups for New Jersey bound vehicles.

Friends and schoolmates discussed the horrific event on Twitter under hash tags “#staystrongdan” and “#prepfam” in the hours after the tragedy.

“Sitting here with your blood on my foot wishing this was all a bad dream. I love you so much dan you were there for me till the last second,” tweeted VBudz.

“I don’t know how I’m gonna be able to function after this. Scarred forever,” she added.

The party-going teens were discussing the fun they were hoping to have before the night was derailed by tragedy.

“Double decker partybus to polysss,” VBudz tweeted at 2:34 p.m.

“Everything did Nails done, hair done Everything did Oh, you fancy, huh? ? ” wrote LovePolzz, the apparent birthday girl.

Cops identified Fernandez as a resident of Sayreville, N.J., but his Facebook page said he’s from Woodside, Queens. His family could not be reached for comment.

Representatives of St. Francis Prep could not immediately be reached for comment, while the phone went unanswered Friday night at Designer Limousines of Port Washington, L.I., the company that operates the massive bus.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1149404

This is just so, fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly x 122Funny x 35Winner x 8Dumb x 6Informative x 2Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    Well I can't say the kid was exactly bright, especially since he was told to leave it alone, but you don't deserve to die for things like this as a kid. I feel for his family and friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 160Friendly Friendly x 5Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    2,395 Posts
    what
    the
    fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree x 17Funny x 3Informative x 2Useful x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Nya~
    April 2011
    5,308 Posts
    As much as I feel sorry for the kid and his friends/relatives, he was kind of tempting fate by not listening to the security guard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 82Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,911 Posts
    Stupid for sticking his head out, but still pretty tragic. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 48Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    He was kind of tempting fate by not listening to the security guard.
    I can't argue with that but he still did not deserve to go that way.

I'm sure most of us have done stupid shit as a kid before, and he had his whole life ahead of him :/

It's actually really tragic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2012
    144 Posts
    sometimes I just
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 75Informative x 7Agree x 3Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    April 2007
    289 Posts
    Natural Selection.

Rate me dumb all you want, but if you can't listen to an elder that tells you specifically 3-4 times to not mess with a roof-hatch, then it's no one's fault then his self for not listening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 94Dumb Dumb x 70Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Nya~
    April 2011
    5,308 Posts
    I can't argue with that but he still did not deserve to go that way.

I'm sure most of us have done stupid shit as a kid before, and he had his whole life ahead of him :/

It's actually really tragic.
    Wasn't trying to sound like I didn't think it was tragic, I agree with you there as well. My bad if I came across as such :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    3,835 Posts
    Natural Selection.

Rate me dumb all you want, but if you can't listen to an elder that tells you specifically 3-4 times to not mess with a roof-hatch, then it's no one's fault then his self for not listening.
    you're so edgy and cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 71Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2012
    144 Posts
    Natural Selection.

firebird_157
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Dumb Dumb x 6Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    Natural Selection.

and I'm sure you obeyed everyone 100% as a teenager yourself

difference being, you weren't killed for doing what teenagers tend to do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 25Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Natural Selection.

Teach me so I can be as badass as you one day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Funny x 19Dumb x 3Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    660 Posts
    Natural Selection.

You're talking like if it's a punishment, but death is more than that.
    It's the physical death of a human being.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2008
    3,498 Posts
    Natural Selection.

Does it matter? A 16 year old kid lost his life, and regardless if it was his fault or not it's still a tragedy that it happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    April 2010
    4,045 Posts
    I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for the kid. What he did was an idiot move, but all teens do idiot moves while disregarding authority figures at some point in their formative years.

17. Post #17
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    Why do people say "he didn't deserve it"?

What do you try to say? That the whole incident would be ok if he DID deserve it? That OTHER people deserve it? That you are afraid of people thinking that he did deserve it and you feel like you need to emphasize that he didn't?

I don't understand that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,482 Posts
    I feel really sorry for him but I think that if he could, he would agree this was unbelievably stupid of him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts

What do you try to say? That the whole incident would be ok if he DID deserve it? That OTHER people deserve it? That you are afraid of people thinking that he did deserve it and you feel like you need to emphasize that he didn't?

I don't understand that.
    What are you on about?

He was a kid on a double decker bus who did what all teenagers do - stupid stuff.

Point being, he died because of it. I did a whole bunch of stupid stuff in my teenage years and didn't die. It's just very bad luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts

I don't understand that.
    Wait, what?

We're just pointing out the fact that he didn't do anything to deserve what had happened to him. It's not supposed to imply anything at all.

22. Post #22
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    What are you on about?

He was a kid on a double decker bus who did what all teenagers do - stupid stuff.

Point being, he died because of it. I did a whole bunch of stupid stuff in my teenage years and didn't die. It's just very bad luck.
    I want to know what people mean with "he didn't deserve it".
    If they really mean what they say it is an absolute redundant statement. It has next to nothing to do with the whole incident, I just want to discuss something useful instead of 5 pages of "I'm sorry for him".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    6,343 Posts
    Rather tragic. I don't understand what the birthday girl is trying to say though:

“Everything did Nails done, hair done Everything did Oh, you fancy, huh? ? ” wrote LovePolzz, the apparent birthday girl.
    Is she angry because her birthday party got ruined? Seriously, how pathetically shallow do you have to be to complain about the time you spent doing your hair and nails for a birthday party when someone has died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    Wait, what?

We're just pointing out the fact that he didn't do anything to deserve what had happened to him. It's not supposed to imply anything at all.
    I'm okay with "he didn't deserve it", noone deserves to die.
    But you can't say that he didn't have it coming. He opened the latch of a fucking doppel-decker bus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    I'm okay with "he didn't deserve it", noone deserves to die.
    But you can't say that he didn't have it coming. He opened the latch of a fucking doppel-decker bus.
    And teenagers do stupid stuff, even when they're told not to. Most people don't die for stupid shit like this. How was he supposed to know there was an overpass ahead? It's bad luck combined with poor decisions, but nobody "has death coming" at that age.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    September 2006
    6,343 Posts
    This guy really didn't deserve it. Hell, at 16, I'd probably have done the same thing. You and your buddies are all looking forward to a great night ahead, you're probably having a great time in the bus. Opening the hatch and looking out of it wouldn't seem like the worst idea. He didn't deserve to die for this one little mistake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    And teenagers do stupid stuff, even when they're told not to. Most people don't die for stupid shit like this. How was he supposed to know there was an overpass ahead? It's bad luck combined with poor decisions, but nobody "has death coming" at that age.
    Tram surfers do.

Edited:

Drug abusers do.

Edited:

Actually we all do, no matter the age.

Some just do stupid actions that make it come faster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    Tram surfers do.

Edited:

Drug abusers do.
    And this kid was neither of those. You're not making any relevant points.

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Natural Selection.

Probably had a brighter future than you, but here you are being a little bitch acting like he deserved it because he made a mistake, granted a dumb one, but not one that makes him an idiot, it was just a mistake that ended insanely bad, not like he KNEW he would probably die, lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    This is not a random accident, it involved him doing something that he shouldn't.

"Teens will be teens" is not an excuse. He was old enough to act sane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 34Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    September 2006
    6,343 Posts
    Drug abusers do.
    My father has been a smoker since he was around 16. Are you saying he deserves to die? Drug abusers don't "deserve" death. Addictions aren't easily stopped, hence why they're addictions. You're coming across as a gigantic bunghole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    And this kid was neither of those. You're not making any relevant points.
    Yes it was relevant to "nobody has death coming at that age"

33. Post #33
    September 2009
    7,359 Posts
    Damn, knocked all of his teeth out. Likely brutalized the face, considering the trauma comments and the 'blood on my feet'. Makes me wonder if his neck got slammed against the hatch sides and all, or if it was mostly the head itself that got hit. Makes me wince trying to imagine the details though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    This is not a random accident, it involved him doing something that he shouldn't.

"Teens will be teens" is not an excuse. He was old enough to act sane.
    He was on a double decker bus. With a whole bunch of his friends on it. While the bus was going to a party.

Do I need to spell out why "He was old enough to act sane" is a terrible argument?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    September 2006
    6,343 Posts
    Damn, knocked all of his teeth out. Likely brutalized the face, considering the trauma comments and the 'blood on my feet'. Makes me wonder if his neck got slammed against the hatch sides and all, or if it was mostly the head itself that got hit. Makes me wince trying to imagine the details though.
    Uhh... Why would you even try to picture what happened? Issues, man. Issues.

"Makes me wince trying to imagine the details, but I'ma go ahead and imagine the details vividly anyways."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

36. Post #36
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    My father has been a smoker since he was around 16. Are you saying he deserves to die? Drug abusers don't "deserve" death. Addictions aren't easily stopped, hence why they're addictions. You're coming across as a gigantic bunghole.
    No I say he has death coming faster than non-smokers, I did not say he deserves it, actually I said noone deserves to die.

You do not always get what you deserve and you do not always deserve what you get.

Edited:

He was on a double decker bus. With a whole bunch of his friends on it. While the bus was going to a party.

Do I need to spell out why "He was old enough to act sane" is a terrible argument?
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    No I say he has death coming faster than non-smokers, I did not say he deserves it, actually I said noone deserves to die.

You do not always get what you deserve and you do not always deserve what you get.

Edited:

Yes.
    You really shouldn't be saying that someone has death coming to them, no one should EVER die (besides, you know, age), they should never be put in a situation where a simple mistake can get them killed, therefore, no one ever has it coming. You have shit like breaking your leg coming, scrapping your knees, not being killed.

38. Post #38
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    So assuming you're a normally functioning, socially active person, you understand how being with your friends can influence you into often stupid decisions?

Going into this, that's the exact situation the kid was in. He was on a double decker bus headed to a party (and a sweet 16 party nonetheless), and he made a spur of the moment decision that resulted in his death solely because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tell me, where does "sanity" come into play here? More importantly, where do you get the right to say people 16 and older are supposed to act sane? 16 seems like an arbitrary age especially considering how people mature at different rates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    So assuming you're a normally functioning, socially active person, you understand how being with your friends can influence you into often stupid decisions?

Going into this, that's the exact situation the kid was in. He was on a double decker bus headed to a party (and a sweet 16 party nonetheless), and he made a spur of the moment decision that resulted in his death solely because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tell me, where does "sanity" come into play here? More importantly, where do you get the right to say people 16 and older are supposed to act sane? 16 seems like an arbitrary age especially considering how people mature at different rates.
    Another thing is I hardly see how having fun and being friends n shit is being insane or something, that's really stupid.

40. Post #40
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    You really shouldn't be saying that someone has death coming to them, no one should EVER die (besides, you know, age), they should never be put in a situation where a simple mistake can get them killed, therefore, no one ever has it coming. You have shit like breaking your leg coming, scrapping your knees, not being killed.
    Why do you not take my posts in the exact way I post them.

I didn't say people SHOULD die, there was no moral judgement in my statement. I said "You do stupid stuff, you die faster/have a better chance of dieing.

Edited:

Going into this, that's the exact situation the kid was in. He was on a double decker bus headed to a party (and a sweet 16 party nonetheless), and he made a spur of the moment decision that resulted in his death solely because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. AND DID THE WRONG THING

The sanity comes into play when you don't do stupid stuff just because your friends are around. I always hated this kind of group mentality.

16 is old. You are allowed to drive with 16 in many countires. Many people finish their first education with 16.

"Haha it's gonna be a cool party lets open the hatch of a doppeldeckerbus look guys how awesome I am for doing what I've been told not to do 3 times" is not cool or acceptable.

Edited:

Another thing is I hardly see how having fun and being friends n shit is being insane or something, that's really stupid.
    Why do you insist that having fun in a partybus somehow validates acting against safety measures? Is that your kind of fun? Should that be anyones kind of fun?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)