1. Post #1

January 2012
    86 Posts
    Im afraid of that, becouse i'm leaving (holydays) and I won't be able to connect to internet, but I want to play gmod.

Does it works without internet (On steam offline mode)?

2. Post #2
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    if your game is fully updated, it should work offline.

then again steam offline is a bad, unpredictable system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3

January 2012
    86 Posts
    if your game is fully updated, it should work offline.

then again steam offline is a bad, unpredictable system
    But what about if gmod updates while im on offline-mode. That will broke it?

4. Post #4
    I deny that I'm a Weebo Warrior
    September 2011
    4,864 Posts
    But what about if gmod updates while im on offline-mode. That will broke it?
    It can't, hence the offline part.
    If you're on a laptop and you're gonna play gmod on that just leave it in standby and when you can't connect, steam will still think it's online. (but it can't connect for obvious reasons)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

January 2012
    86 Posts
    It can't, hence the offline part.
    If you're on a laptop and you're gonna play gmod on that just leave it in standby and when you can't connect, steam will still think it's online. (but it can't connect for obvious reasons)
    Not really on a laptop.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

May 2010
    64 Posts
    So you are bringing desktop to holiday? Can't argue with that, but as Character said, its unpredictable in offline mode.

7. Post #7
    January 2012
    150 Posts
    It depends what mood the God of Offline mode is. If he is happy, then offline mode will work, if he is not, then it won't work.

At least, that is how I explain the arbitary behavior of offline mode. If it works, then GMod will work offline, too. If it doesn't, then none of your steam games will.

8. Post #8
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    It depends what mood the God of Offline mode is. If he is happy, then offline mode will work, if he is not, then it won't work.
    this is honestly probably the most accurate explanation of Offline Mode
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2011
    4,864 Posts
    Mind due the use of hibernation is the best. Just hibernate it and whatever is still running will be fine. Even steam won't complain.

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    August 2012
    56 Posts
    Wtf people? So full of crap.

You can play Gmod without internet or offline if you don't have corrupted files, this is usually from powering off improperly (pulling plug, holding down the power button).

If you don't got internet, it'll say that steam cannot connect to internet, do you want to launch in offline mode or retry connection. Then, obviously, you choose offline if you don't got internet.

You still can play gmod on a laptop, but since most laptop keyboards don't have the num-pad, you will be disadvantaged with all the cool things you can do in gmod since most of the tools require number assigning to do cool stuff, although you can go to the settings and change the key configuration by sacrificing certain keys for the numpad keys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2011
    4,864 Posts
    Wtf people? So full of crap.

You can play Gmod without internet or offline if you don't have corrupted files, this is usually from powering off improperly (pulling plug, holding down the power button).

If you don't got internet, it'll say that steam cannot connect to internet, do you want to launch in offline mode or retry connection. Then, obviously, you choose offline if you don't got internet.

You still can play gmod on a laptop, but since most laptop keyboards don't have the num-pad, you will be disadvantaged with all the cool things you can do in gmod since most of the tools require number assigning to do cool stuff, although you can go to the settings and change the key configuration by sacrificing certain keys for the numpad keys.
    Doyou realize you just re-posted what everyone just said? Also you must be knew here. Common sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    August 2012
    56 Posts
    Doyou realize you just re-posted what everyone just said? Also you must be knew here. Common sense.
    Not really. Most people were saying that it's UNPREDICTABLE if gmod works without internet/offline when that's a total lie. You can play gmod any time as long as your file are working fine and you have a working laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    7,969 Posts
    Not really. Most people were saying that it's UNPREDICTABLE if gmod works without internet/offline when that's a total lie. You can play gmod any time as long as your file are working fine and you have a working laptop.
    I tested that theory when I went to South Africa, it asked me to log in. Even when Offline mode was checked before I left.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Contains Vitamin K!
    January 2011
    7,719 Posts
    I can confirm this is not true. Playing in offline will almost guarantee some sort of fuckup for me, which is annoying because my internet is so shit I don't want to wait for Steam to connect to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    August 2012
    56 Posts
    Lol. Steam works perfectly fine for me when playing any game that doesn't require internet. I can go to a place with no internet, if my client can't detect any, then it'll allow my the option to launch in offline mode. And unless I need to play on a server, there is no problem playing offline.

@RubberFruit: That's your internet/gmod.

@digigamer17: The person asked what he could do to play gmod if he couldn't access internet, simply just be logged in before the connection loss. Could be your addons. I recall one that crashed your client (dling addon) if you didn't have internet.

16. Post #16
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Lol. Steam works perfectly fine for me when playing any game that doesn't require internet. I can go to a place with no internet, if my client can't detect any, then it'll allow my the option to launch in offline mode. And unless I need to play on a server, there is no problem playing offline.

@RubberFruit: That's your internet/gmod.

@digigamer17: The person asked what he could do to play gmod if he couldn't access internet, simply just be logged in before the connection loss. Could be your addons. I recall one that crashed your client (dling addon) if you didn't have internet.
    You're right, since your can run it, everyone else must be able to as well! :D

What a fucking horrible way to think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    7,969 Posts
    What addons? It was a clean install.

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    August 2012
    56 Posts
    You're right, since your can run it, everyone else must be able to as well! :D

What a fucking horrible way to think.
    I have a clean install of gmod, and even after I added like 50 addons of tools/npcs/cars/ragdolls, still works fine offline. You should verify your game cache. Any game that is playable offline would work without internet on steam.

Nice contradiction.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,418 Posts
    I have a clean install of gmod, and even after I added like 50 addons of tools/npcs/cars/ragdolls, still works fine offline. You should verify your game cache. Any game that is playable offline would work without internet on steam.

Nice contradiction.
    If you try to log into Steam, and try to choose Offline mode, it doesn't work all the time. That's what they mean my unpredictable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Last time I tried it it said "Can't connect to Steam Network, try again later" (or something similar). Now stop blaming other people that they don't know what they are talking about, you don't what you're talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)