1. Post #1
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,755 Posts

Hundreds of Texas A&M students gathered this week to form a human wall around the funeral service of a soldier to protect his family from Westboro Baptist Church protesters, KBTX.com reports.
    Texas A&M alum Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale was killed on June 28 during a training exercise at Fort Bragg, N.C. Tisdale was killed by another soldier who then fatally shot himself.

Tisdale had served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

In the days after the soldier's death, word spread that Westboro Baptist Church members were planning to protest Tisdale's funeral.

Described as a "homophobic and anti-Semitic hate group" by the Anti-Defamation League, Westboro Baptist Church regularly stages protests around the country.

According to KBTX.com, the group, which is based in Kansas, frequently targets military funerals because of "a belief that God punishes soldiers because of America's tolerance of gays." When Ryan Slezia, a former Texas A&M student, heard of the group's plans, he hatched a plot to foil their efforts.

"In response to their signs of hate, we will wear maroon. In response to their mob anger, we will form a line, arm in arm. This is a silent vigil. A manifestation of our solidarity," he wrote on Facebook, inviting others to join him in a peaceful protest.

On Thursday, as Tisdale's funeral was held at the Central Baptist Church in College Station, Tex., hundreds of students and alumni responded to Slezia's invation, linking arms to create a human barricade surrounding the church's entrance.

Most wore maroon -- A&M's school color. One participant tweeted that over 650 people showed up, creating a formidable "maroon wall."

“We are standing here quietly. We are here for the family,” Lilly McAlister, a Texas A&M student, told KBTX.com. "We are positioned with our backs to them. Everyone has been told there's no chanting, no singing, there's no yelling anything back."

The hundreds gathered were prepared for a potentially aggressive confrontation, but the protestors from Westboro Baptist Church never showed up. Tisdale's body was peacefully laid to rest after the funeral at the Aggie Field of Honor -- a cemetery for Texas A&M students and staff.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...#slide=1191005

More pictures in the link. That's pretty awesome. They didn't even have the balls to show up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 146Friendly Friendly x 9 (list)

2. Post #2
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    my homie goes to A&M, ROTC.

i will stalk these pictures and see if i can find him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 13Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,454 Posts
    "In response to their signs of hate, we will wear maroon."
    I don't see the point in maroon specifically, they say it as if it has significance. Is it because it resembles blood?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,199 Posts
    When will they form a human nuke?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 8Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2010
    1,876 Posts
    I don't see the point in maroon specifically, they say it as if it has significance. Is it because it resembles blood?
    It's the color of A&M. Someone is not from Texas.
    If you are from Texas, you must be from a town with not many American football fans.
    It's hard not to notice the constant rivalry between A&M (Maroon) and the Longhorns (Orange).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 16Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2012
    259 Posts
    It seems like whenever there's a large counter protest WBC never has the nerve to show up. The same thing happened in my town where somewhere around 700 people had showed up to counter protest. I always assumed that they had been stopped at the Canada-U.S. border since our Defence Minister had ordered not to let them through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 22Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,814 Posts
    I'm from Michigan and I don't give a fuck about football but I still somehow know Texas A&M is maroon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,364 Posts
    "a belief that God punishes soldiers because of America's tolerance of gays."
    Whatever god they worship has some seriously skewed priorities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 39 (list)

9. Post #9
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Nice "secede" shirt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Zing Zing x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2007
    11,454 Posts
    If you are from Texas, you must be from a town with not many American football fans.
    It's hard not to notice the constant rivalry between A&M (Maroon) and the Longhorns (Orange).
    I am from Alabama. We have our own rivalry- Auburn Tigers versus Alabama Elephants. I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,607 Posts
    If God hated gays he wouldn't be making more of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    1,876 Posts
    I am from Alabama. We have our own rivalry- Auburn Tigers versus Alabama Elephants. I think.
    Elephants? That's fucking cool. We have a cow.

13. Post #13
    Haven't we already established they don't really believe a word of what they're saying, and that it's actually a ploy to make money off lawsuits or something similarly ridiculous?

Which is even more utterly detestable, but anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,917 Posts
    I never understood the Westboro viewpoint. It's as if they don't even recognize the fact that people died in wars before it was tolerated.

15. Post #15
    October 2007
    1,168 Posts
    Nevermind being from Texas. All you had to do was to read the article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,880 Posts
    These guys are still trying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,427 Posts
    I'm from Michigan and I don't give a fuck about football but I still somehow know Texas A&M is maroon.
    I just assumed right out of the gate that maroon was their color.

18. Post #18
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    Elephants? That's fucking cool. We have a cow.
    We have Leprechauns and Steel workers

Ontopic you have fanatics protesting a miltary funeral in Texas of all places vs hundreds of young drunk Texans. Would be incredibly shocking if this demonstration ends peacefully, hopefully it doesn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2008
    14,427 Posts

Ontopic you have fanatics protesting a miltary funeral in Texas of all places vs hundreds of young drunk Texans. Would be incredibly shocking if this demonstration ends peacefully, hopefully it doesn't.
    Huskies (University of Washington) and Cougars (Washington State University) up here.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,648 Posts
    The hundreds gathered were prepared for a potentially aggressive confrontation, but the protestors from Westboro Baptist Church never showed up. Tisdale's body was peacefully laid to rest after the funeral at the Aggie Field of Honor -- a cemetery for Texas A&M students and staff.
    I wonder if they were scared off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,217 Posts
    If you guys haven't already, I would strongly recommend you see "The Most Hated Family in America" and "America's Most Hated Family in Crisis", it gives you an insight into what they do, the shit they've been through and daily life of the WBC

It's pretty sad, these fuckers think they're completely right when they're not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    OvB
    March 2007
    12,755 Posts

You make it sound like we're a bunch of savages. What makes you think they're drunk? The coolers? Yeah, those are definitely not for the 90*F-105*F weather we've been having.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,340 Posts

because every college going texan is drunk 24/7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2008
    14,427 Posts
    because every college going texan is drunk 24/7
    yeah guys, it's Washington State University that gets drunk all the damn time, not the Texans.

geez

25. Post #25
    "You should see my penis, it puts a wookie to shame. its like a fucking front tail."
    January 2010
    2,392 Posts
    Wooo Gig-Em!

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,571 Posts
    Good on them. Nice to see some people stand up against the WBC and their bullshit.

Way to fight fire with fire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    693 Posts
    it gets very serious around the iron bowl, don't forget that.

28. Post #28
    Title Attrition Belligerent
    November 2009
    2,022 Posts
    initially scale down from 650 to see the minimum amount of people needed for them to not show up and then form an organization containing at least that many members to follow them everywhere.

i'd donate.

29. Post #29
    June 2007
    2,780 Posts
    In my eyes the WBC is a hypocritical group, they're practicing a right that these soldiers fought and died to protect and they disrespecting them by showing up at their funerals and protesting because the country is tolerating groups they don't like/agree with. But unfortunately the Bill of Rights also protects Bigots like the WBC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    What makes you think they're drunk?
    Uhh college? If A&M is anything like IU or some of our other colleges here, then they drink 24/7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,274 Posts
    I live in College Station, wish I'd heard about this earlier would have attended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,324 Posts
    Aww Yeah, Gig 'em! I come from a family of Aggies.

Edited:

How did you not know A&M's color is maroon? They're joining the SEC this season.

Playing with the big boys now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    shame that LRADs are $30,000+

if I had the money and the time, I'd make a mobile LRAD vehicle and follow the wbc protesters around 24/7

34. Post #34
    May 2010
    602 Posts
    Haven't we already established they don't really believe a word of what they're saying, and that it's actually a ploy to make money off lawsuits or something similarly ridiculous?

Which is even more utterly detestable, but anyways.
    You should read some of the stories out there from the children who escaped the church when they turned 18. Fred Phelps is completely legitimate about all of this. He also abuses his wife and kids, so most of them believe every word of what they preach. Or they at least pretend to, out of fear. The lawsuits are their means of protection, it's not their primary goal.

35. Post #35
    I can't tell if you really don't know or if you're an Auburn fan and ripping on Alabama.

They're the Alabama Crimson Tide but their mascot is an elephant. I have no fucking idea why.   

Also, War Eagle!

36. Post #36
    OvB
    March 2007
    12,755 Posts
    They should make a human wall around their church and not let them leave.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    you can literally see the heat in the photos, god I feel sorry for all those people

why does westboro even exist that people have to do this stuff though

38. Post #38
    September 2010
    2,325 Posts
    They should make a human wall around their church and not let them leave.
    This makes me wonder how much concrete you could pour on their building before they noticed you were doing it.

39. Post #39
    November 2007
    11,454 Posts
    How did you not know A&M's color is maroon? They're joining the SEC this season.

Playing with the big boys now.
    I am a reclusive pasty nerd who doesn't follow sports at all. As evidenced by me not even knowing the name of my state's own football team.

I can't tell if you really don't know or if you're an Auburn fan and ripping on Alabama.

They're the Alabama Crimson Tide but their mascot is an elephant. I have no fucking idea why.   

Also, War Eagle!

40. Post #40
    August 2010
    366 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)