1. Post #1
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Since some people are having trouble doing this I created a guide as simple and descriptive as possible, this guide won't work for the following games:

Left 4 Dead 2
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    Dota 2

The model converting process should work for the above, but the maps won't open in the SFM unless you decompile them and recompile with an older version of VBSP. I won't explain how to do that but there's nothing stopping you from doing it.

As for the remaining games and mods, I made a pdf with all the instructions, you're also going to need a batch file and GCFScape.

The Guide: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44918480/SF...MakerGuide.pdf
    The Batch: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44918480/SFM/fix_models.zip (you'll need to extract it before using, I only zipped it because some browsers tend to open batch files as text instead of downloading, taken from Smashman's thread, this is the same file used to convert L4D models so they could be used in GMod back when there was no official support)
    GCFScape: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 15Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    This is useful. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3

July 2012
    4 Posts
    I was looking for this LONG TIME AGO ! lets see if i atleast can load Dota models to SFM :D

Edited:

Ok, i did everything , i can find Dota2 in the mods now so as all models, but i can't open them in SFM
    It says :
    Failed to load models/!
    MDLCache: Failed load of .VTX data for heroes/invoker/invoker.mdl
    Error: Material "models/heroes/invoker/invoker_color" : proxy "invis_proxy" not found!
    Error: Material "models/heroes/invoker/invoker_color" : proxy "status_proxy" not found!
    Error: Material "models/heroes/invoker/invoker_color" : proxy "hero_proxy" not found!
    CAnimationSetEditor::CreateAnimationSetForModel: model has no facial animation model models/heroes/invoker/invoker.mdl [heroes/invoker/invoker.mdl]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Algeria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Well that probably can be worked around but I won't bother with it, try editing the vtx file for that model and deleting any reference to the proxies if you want to bother with it.

5. Post #5

July 2012
    4 Posts
    I don't think i'll bother with it too, its kinda risky to be honest , i seen some guys using Dota models in SFM, i'll try to contact them, thx for this thread tho :)

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    292 Posts
    Might I make a suggestion? If you are not having any progress with GCFScape (where it doesn't open anything even with all the necessary files installed). I recommend using Gibbed .vpk extractor. It does exactly the same thing as GCFScape but without a helpful gui or the ability to select specific files.

7. Post #7

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    I know how to get the models fully working.

There's 2 states in the batch file. There's a delay between each state.

State 1 - Converting the Files

State 2 - Patching the Files
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    213 Posts
    What happens when models and materials from other games, but with the same names, are used? How is it decided which ones are loaded?

9. Post #9
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    You have to change the priority in the GameInfo.txt on the usermod folder, I'm not sure which takes priority but experiment placing a game before or after another and see how it goes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    897 Posts
    Tried L4D1 out. Some maps load, other crash. Survivor models crash instantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    213 Posts
    You have to change the priority in the GameInfo.txt on the usermod folder, I'm not sure which takes priority but experiment placing a game before or after another and see how it goes.
    Thanks. Another thing to test out are these maps from the Parish ported over to L4D1, and see if they work for SFM. However it's very unlikely.

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=12397

12. Post #12
    June 2012
    648 Posts
    Looks good! Can't wait to test it out with my mod when I get SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,763 Posts
    You could have credited me for my own batch file..
    vv

Edited:

Or you could just entirely remake my thread that describes exactly this...
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1195410

vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2010
    1,447 Posts
    Thanks, I'll use this for Half-Life 2 Beta Deathmatch when I get SFM.

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    You could have credited me for my own batch file..
    vv

Edited:

Or you could just entirely remake my thread that describes exactly this...
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1195410

vv
    People were having trouble understanding what to do the way you described it (I thought it was pretty easy to understand, but I might be biased since I already knew how to do it), as for the batch file I can't remember if the original author was you or not, since it has been used before when converting the L4D models to GMod (back then I was known as Technopath, I'm pretty sure we worked together to bring those models into GMod). Either way I might as well mention it on the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2011
    156 Posts
    This is more useful then that thing that took monkeys to the moon.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    213 Posts
    I can't get any EP2 models to load in SFM, it crashes every time. I tried using the batch you provided to fix it, but all it did was make the models invisible. Any ideas?

18. Post #18
    February 2005
    37 Posts
    The maps load fine till now. Is there a way to change the player model to a Counter Strike: Source one?

19. Post #19
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    I can't get any EP2 models to load in SFM, it crashes every time. I tried using the batch you provided to fix it, but all it did was make the models invisible. Any ideas?
    For games that don't use vpk files (as is the case) you shouldn't need to use the batch file or that will happen. Every time SFM crashes it will generate a crash report file in its directory, the contents of it would probably help fixing it since then we'll know what's wrong with it.

20. Post #20

September 2011
    131 Posts
    I'm guessing portals don't work in Portal, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    329 Posts
    Any reason why some maps are really bright?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,543 Posts
    I've found that my custom map was really bright, and I couldn't set the tone scaling on the camera, until I compiled with HDR so that might be it.

23. Post #23
    December 2009
    63 Posts
    Official maps or other? if it's not official, you should recompile.

24. Post #24
    June 2012
    648 Posts
    What exactly would you put in the gameinfo.txt for a mod under the SearchPaths?

25. Post #25
    Call me Rantis
    May 2010
    874 Posts
    It also works for portal 2 ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2012
    648 Posts
    Got it working in my Portal mod. No scenes or Portals, some of the props clip but overall, the map works. If only I could get a Chell player model in there. No turrets as I'd imagine.

27. Post #27
    August 2006
    4 Posts
    Somehow I don't manage to make it work. I followed the guide.
    Am I missing something obvious maybe?

For CS for example I did the following:

* Copied the cstrike folder into (...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game
    * Added Game cstrike to (...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\ usermod\gameinfo.txt

In SFM I can see the games in the "modfilter" section. If I filter for the though, I get "no .mdl" for models or "no .bsp" for maps.

28. Post #28
    RAIN BOW DASH IS TEH BEST PONY! SWAG!
    November 2010
    1,599 Posts
    I extracted everything from episode 2 but when I try to load a map it crashes my SFM, any help?

actually the ep2_background maps loaded fine, but all the others crash..
    anyone got it working?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2009
    3,065 Posts
    Every map crashes SFM. Typical.

30. Post #30
    RAIN BOW DASH IS TEH BEST PONY! SWAG!
    November 2010
    1,599 Posts
    ok, I tried all episode 2 maps, some of them works others crashes
    I couldn't load:
    ep2_outland_01
    ep2_outland_01a
    ep2_outland_03
    ep2_outland_05
    ep2_outland_06
    ep2_outland_06a
    ep2_outland_09
    ep2_outland_10

and I really wanted to use ep2_outland_10 for my video, is there anyway to check the bsp version? they should be all version 20 right?

If someone can help me with this I appreciate :(

31. Post #31
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    do I have to extract the contents source materials, source engine, and source models GFCs to my usermod folder to use custom maps that require content from half life 2 through episode 2? I have one loaded properly and working, it's just missing a bunch of textures.

Edited:

idk what I'm doing wrong but all this stuff is missing. the tutorial doesn't explain how to load HL2 stuff (which is packed differently than the other games b/c it shares textures etc between games)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2008
    1,277 Posts
    Is it me or does SFM crash when i try to look (not spawn but just browse) L4D survivor/infected models?

33. Post #33
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    oh, I see the textures I want are under "episode" etc not "half life 2 episode" etc

34. Post #34

July 2012
    4 Posts
    Thanks for the guide :) I was one of the people having trouble following the other one.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,908 Posts
    Is it me or does SFM crash when i try to look (not spawn but just browse) L4D survivor/infected models?
    yeah there's something wrong with them

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,763 Posts
    ok, I tried all episode 2 maps, some of them works others crashes
    I couldn't load:
    ep2_outland_01
    ep2_outland_01a
    ep2_outland_03
    ep2_outland_05
    ep2_outland_06
    ep2_outland_06a
    ep2_outland_09
    ep2_outland_10

and I really wanted to use ep2_outland_10 for my video, is there anyway to check the bsp version? they should be all version 20 right?

If someone can help me with this I appreciate :(
    Decompile > Recompile with SFM Hammer?

37. Post #37
    This'll come in handy, at least until Source Filmmaker leaves its Beta state when it has support for any Source game, especially those not made by Valve (Game Mods count, as they are like seperate games with different gameplay in HL2 singleplayer/multiplayer).

EDIT: Personally, I'd like to wait, because I think porting stuff over and de- plus re-compiling maps would take a lot of time

38. Post #38
    March 2011
    832 Posts
    Or, If you're too lazy to compile and all that, Just go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/(Your Username here.)/(Game you want here)/(That game's abreviation) and copy the models and materials folders to the C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Source Filmmaker/tf

You should easily find your models if you know the name or models folder they're in.

This should also work likewise with maps.

THIS WON'T WORK WITH MAPS FROM L4D2 ONWARDS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    302 Posts
    yeah there's something wrong with them
    Has anyone got a fix for the l4d characters/baddies?

40. Post #40
    November 2011
    4 Posts
    Hey all, I managed to open the player models from l4d. What would you get rid of the error when loading the model in SFM, need to change the mdl file, so how do you do to reverse engineering, you need to change the fifth character in the file header. The sign may be either what, or 0 or 1, or something like that then ... Change it to a coma, as shown in the screenshot
    To change such use Notepad + + - it can save files without changing the encoding.

it works!

sorry for bad english..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Ukraine Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)