1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,255 Posts

[sub] Dan Snarr, the mayor of the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray, jokes with wife, April, in Murray, Utah, after a parade in which he put all 18 inches of his handlebar mustache up for a vote. He has been growing it for 31 months but says he will shave if a majority of residents voted thumbs-down during the annual parade. [/sub]
    SALT LAKE CITY — The mayor of Murray has put all 18 inches of his handlebar mustache up for a Fourth of July vote.

Residents of the Salt Lake City suburb told Mayor Dan Snarr to either save it or shave it by giving a thumbs-up or thumbs-down sign during the annual parade Wednesday.

The mayor's wife, April, said she was tired of being poked by the facial hair and living with a "freak." She campaigned to have it removed, even carrying a giant pair of wooden scissors during the parade to convince voters.

"A nice trim would make me happy," April Snarr said. "I try to kiss him but can't find a way in. And he pokes me in the eye. I think he loses his credibility."

Snarr, who dressed as Uncle Sam and carried a giant poster in the parade that read, "I Want You to Save My `Stache," wants to keep his stiff upper lip.

"My plan is to keep the `stache," said the 62-year-old. "People have said, `That's your whole identity.' I can't take away my identity."

But he said the vote was too close to call after thousands showed up for the parade. He had city officials and family members reviewing parade footage to determine the number of votes cast along the 2 1/2-mile route.

Snarr has been growing the mustache for the past 31 months, but it hasn't been easy.

He said it took about three months and $100 worth of hair products to keep it from drooping. He spends 10 minutes each morning prepping it.

The secret: Big Sexy Hairspray, followed by a cold blast from the hair dryer for five minutes a side, topped off with Crew Superglue styling gel.

Snarr has been mayor of Murray for nearly 15 years, proclaiming himself a member of the DWR Party – Do What's Right.

He had a regular mustache through most of his political life but grew it long as a goal for Murray's centennial celebration in 2003. In 2009, he had residents vote on whether he should shave as a way to raise money for a local children's hospital.

He got creamed in the votes and shaved it in May 2009, bypassing an offer to have Ellen DeGeneres do it live on her daytime talk show. He started growing it again that December, and has kept the white whiskers ever since.

He has support from the St. Louis-based American Mustache Institute, a tongue-in-cheek group dedicated to defending a man's right to sport a mustache even though they fell out of favor in the 1970s.

"They think it's great," Snarr said.

He said the organization believes it may be the longest horizontal handlebar mustache sported by a politician in American history "because nobody else can keep `em horizontal."

"A lot of young kids think it's pretty awesome," said Snarr's longtime administrative assistant, Rondi Knowlton. "But most of the responsible adults and community leaders and staff would love to see it gone."

It certainly stands out.

"Everywhere we go across America, everybody wants a picture taken with my `stache," Snarr said.

Wednesday was no different.

"Kids came up and asked, `Can we just touch the `stache one more time in case you have to shave?'" he said.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=weird-news
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 42Winner x 4Friendly x 3Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,418 Posts
    Oh, Utah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Blue Member
    October 2006
    9,522 Posts
    Don't you mean 'Oh, YOUtah'

...I bet you really meant that, but didn't make it clear enough for my retard-brain to pick up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,308 Posts
    I know. This state is weird.

5. Post #5
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    One of these days people are going to try and vote if I am to cut my hair.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,177 Posts
    "A lot of young kids think it's pretty awesome," said Snarr's longtime administrative assistant, Rondi Knowlton. "But most of the responsible adults and community leaders and staff would love to see it gone."
    implications

7. Post #7
    Herpetologist
    June 2010
    5,095 Posts
    "Kids came up and asked, `Can we just touch the `stache one more time in case you have to shave?'" he said.
    "One more time" how often do children touch his facial hair?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

8. Post #8
    A moustache of such glory does not answer to the rabble
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    At least I don't have alzheimer's.
    January 2011
    2,297 Posts
    If I had a moustache like that and I was mayor I would do the exact same thing

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,241 Posts
    He needs a monocle and small top hat. Then change the city name to townsville
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Gentlemen/women I need help? I can't seem to hit my head against the wall hard enough.

This is SOOOOO fucking stupid. For fucks sake Utah, what the hell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2010
    6,390 Posts
    Yep people. This is the most exciting news you will get out of my state.

13. Post #13
    I don't think this is stupid, good, or bad

I just think it's fucking hilarious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2007
    3,232 Posts
    I was expecting a cool moustaché not that bullshit orange county choppers mustache.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2009
    12,421 Posts
    Silly Mormons.

16. Post #16
    January 2012
    1,778 Posts
    Gentlemen/women I need help? I can't seem to hit my head against the wall hard enough.

This is SOOOOO fucking stupid. For fucks sake Utah, what the hell?
    Sounds charming, actually. No fun allowed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)