1. Post #1

October 2011
    10 Posts
    I have a couple of questions about the engine that gmod uses.

What engine does gmod use? does it use the ep2 engine or what?

If it does use the episode 1 engine or the episode 2 engine, then why don't we get the cool features of it? for example, dynamic interaction (the thing in episode 1 and 2 where if two certain npc's get near each other they get into a melee battle)

If anyone has the answer then can you let me know i'm curious.

2. Post #2
    Thunderstorm Enthusiast
    February 2009
    623 Posts
    If I remember correctly, it uses Tf2's version of the Source Engine.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

October 2011
    10 Posts
    Ah so that probably explains why it doesn't have the features of episode 1/2.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,030 Posts
    Ah so that probably explains why it doesn't have the features of episode 1/2.
    It has more features than episode 1 and 2, it includes all ep1/ep2 features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5

October 2011
    10 Posts
    Does it? I had no idea, I wonder if it is actually possible somehow to enable dynamic interaction. Though it might not of been included, in gmod but i'm pretty sure that dynamic interaction is tied to to the ep1 and ep2 models.

6. Post #6
    May 2009
    1,048 Posts
    What the NPCs do doesn't depend on which engine GMod uses, it's in the game's program itself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    527 Posts
    That's probably not engine feature. Might be just map script or something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,030 Posts
    Does it? I had no idea, I wonder if it is actually possible somehow to enable dynamic interaction. Though it might not of been included, in gmod but i'm pretty sure that dynamic interaction is tied to to the ep1 and ep2 models.
    I'm not sure how dynamic models carry over into multiplayer. Running an EP2 map on SP would let you see how the prop are working.

9. Post #9

October 2011
    10 Posts
    What the NPCs do doesn't depend on which engine GMod uses, it's in the game's program itself
    What do you mean by that exactly? i'm a bit confused.

That's probably not engine feature. Might be just map script or something like that
    I don't think it's a map script I've gone into Episode 2 and started up gm_bigcity and spawned Alyx with the alyx gun and a zombie and when they got close Alyx kicked the zombie in the face.

Edited:

I'm not sure how dynamic models carry over into multiplayer. Running an EP2 map on SP would let you see how the prop are working.
    That sounds like a good idea, I might try that.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    132 Posts
    If I remember correctly, it uses Tf2's version of the Source Engine.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
    I believe your right here, and that's why every damn hat fortress update seems to break gmod.

If it does use the episode 1 engine or the episode 2 engine, then why don't we get the cool features of it? for example, dynamic interaction (the thing in episode 1 and 2 where if two certain npc's get near each other they get into a melee battle)
    What NPC's are you talking about? If you spawn resilience and zombies, the resilience will attack the zombies.
    NPC's are programmed to do as that of HL2, you just have to spawn them with weapons...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    7,235 Posts
    GMod uses it's own branch of the Source engine, basically it's a mix because of mounting other source engine games. So in this sense, it's modified as it can handle more than 2 dynamic lamp sources and able to use content from other Source-driven games.

It has every feature, and at the moment GMod 13 beta has a newer branch. So there's improvement or losses and it's community built this time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2012
    496 Posts
    GAH!!! IT'S THE SOURCE ENGINE!

Yes, any source game will allow it to run. :-D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2010
    2,350 Posts
    GAH!!! IT'S THE SOURCE ENGINE!

Yes, any source game will allow it to run. :-D
    8===D D:

That's what I say about using emoticons like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14

October 2011
    10 Posts
    What NPC's are you talking about? If you spawn resilience and zombies, the resilience will attack the zombies.
    NPC's are programmed to do as that of HL2, you just have to spawn them with weapons...
    Well in episode 2 when Alyx got close to a zombie sometimes Alyx would kick the zombie, or the zombie would attack and she would dodge. But if equipped with a shotgun she would smack the zombie.
    The vortigaunt does this as well sometimes the vort will stomp on an antlion, or grab it and use the green energy beam thingy. And the other one I recall is the hunter and any human like citizen,kliener those types. The hunter would knock the human over and stomp on them or it can impale them.

GMod uses it's own branch of the Source engine, basically it's a mix because of mounting other source engine games. So in this sense, it's modified as it can handle more than 2 dynamic lamp sources and able to use content from other Source-driven games.

It has every feature, and at the moment GMod 13 beta has a newer branch. So there's improvement or losses and it's community built this time.
    That sounds pretty awesome I can't wait till GMod 13 is out.

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    How long till we get GMod in Frostbite engine?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2011
    768 Posts
    How long till we get GMod in Frostbite engine?
    What the hell are you talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    CyberGmod Founder PropHuntv2 Home
    May 2009
    753 Posts
    What the hell are you talking about?
    From what I remember, FrostBite is the Engine used for the BattleField games.

18. Post #18
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    From what I remember, FrostBite is the Engine used for the BattleField games.

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - Gran PC))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)