1. Post #1
    July 2012
    14 Posts
    Is it possible? I've animated a hwm model of a spy from scratch and I really need to make him go invisible but I can't see anything that would make this possible.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,706 Posts
    Only possible through game logic, I'm pretty sure.

You could do a new shot with a player controlled spy that goes invisible. Then remove the animation from the player and pose it to match up with your animation from the previous shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    valve should make material proxies animatable if that isnt possible already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

4. Post #4

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    You could do some editing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 12Informative x 2Useful x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    That being said, if you had an item locked to the spy and you had the spy go invisible, how would the item go invisible as well? Would it happen automatically?

6. Post #6
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    That being said, if you had an item locked to the spy and you had the spy go invisible, how would the item go invisible as well? Would it happen automatically?
    pretty sure that's game logic as well, pretty much all player items have the cloak material proxy in their vmts and TF2 tells the items to go invisible, stuff like that

i doubt it'd work like that in SFM, locking is most likely only lock from a position/rotation standpoint, not any other parameters

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    I guess spies invisibility is controlled by shader in vmt file which is the material file for vtf texture files, I think it's worth a try to replace one of the skins or add skin to the model so you can just switch skin and it's invisible.

8. Post #8
    December 2007
    1,824 Posts
    You could render the part where he cloaks/uncloaks with the Spy and without him, lay both videos onto each other, then fade one out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    You can animate material proxies in the element viewer - if you want I can try to make a tutorial later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Useful Useful x 10Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,895 Posts
    You can animate material proxies in the element viewer - if you want I can try to make a tutorial later.
    Please do. I think I might need it when I get my hands on SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    December 2009
    292 Posts
    Words could not describe how thankful I would be If you were to do such a thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2007
    40 Posts
    That would be fantastic.

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,466 Posts
    Following that question, would it be possible to apply cloak effect to other player models, like Heavy?

14. Post #14
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Yes.

Edited:

Incoming tutorial, about to record it after having tested it.

Edited:

For this tutorial you'll most likely need this file from my server: http://peniscorp.com/proxymats.dmx

I screwed up the material path when I was setting it - it's hvyweapon, not heavy.

Please let me know if there's anything you don't understand or you need help with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 12 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,865 Posts
    Yes.

Edited:

Incoming tutorial, about to record it after having tested it.

Edited:

For this tutorial you'll most likely need this file from my server: http://peniscorp.com/proxymats.dmx

I screwed up the material path when I was setting it - it's hvyweapon, not heavy.

Please let me know if there's anything you don't understand or you need help with.
    I love you.

Edited:

This is how much I love you.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2009
    292 Posts

Well Just one thing...Where do I Put Proxymats.dmx

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,865 Posts
    Well Just one thing...Where do I Put Proxymats.dmx
    anywhere you can open it up with sfm. so something like SourceFilmmaker\game\usermod\elements\sessions

18. Post #18
    December 2009
    292 Posts
    Ok I thought I understood what was going on but whenever I tried to do what Gran PC did it didn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Edit Nevermind Figured everything but heads out. The head of the Spy to be exact.

19. Post #19
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Yeah, it's in another folder - I don't have access to a working copy of SFM right now but if you haven't figured it out in ~2 hours I'll try making a list of materials for every model.

20. Post #20

June 2012
    2 Posts
    Yeah, it's in another folder - I don't have access to a working copy of SFM right now but if you haven't figured it out in ~2 hours I'll try making a list of materials for every model.
    I'm just working on a script to add these materials automatically, and their naming is godawful. Consistency? Nope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Yeah I was hoping to make a script to extract the material list from the models and then generate DMX files out of it - I'd love to get some specs on the DMX files.

22. Post #22
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Yeah I was hoping to make a script to extract the material list from the models and then generate DMX files out of it - I'd love to get some specs on the DMX files.
    Everyone would love to get some specs on them, lol

Since Orange Box was introduced there was been strictly zero communication on them from Valve. It's really annoying :/

Daimao has been reverse engineering quite a few things on DMXes, you should go hit him up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23

June 2012
    2 Posts
    Needs some work, but yeah, script: https://github.com/miek/sfm_scripts/...setup_cloaking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,577 Posts

Did it as per Gran PCs tutorial but shit ain't cloakin'. I'm sure the material names are correct, there aren't really any other ones to choose from anyway.

25. Post #25
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    You need to move the proxy material children to the materials element.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,577 Posts
    You need to move the proxy material children to the materials element.
    Oooh. I see. Thanks, will do that.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,795 Posts
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/897064/setup_cloaking.rar

Contains a blue and red variant.
    Place in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\ platform\scripts\sfm\animset

Rig > setup_cloaking_<COLOR>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2011
    11 Posts
    GranPC, your tutorial helped me greatly in making my spy transparent, however it's caused me some kind of ambient occlusion issue ( screenshot ) I was wondering if you had any idea what might be causing it, and how to stop it happening; does it matter that the spy I'm using is a hwm model? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    838 Posts
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/897064/setup_cloaking.rar

Contains a blue and red variant.
    Place in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\ platform\scripts\sfm\animset

Rig > setup_cloaking_<COLOR>
    The rigs don't work for weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    May 2011
    11 Posts
    Smashman & mike, that rig was a little gem. Worked perfectly for me, thanks!