1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,430 Posts

Source:

http://www.facebook.com/ValveTime?sk=photos
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exc...ept-art.206815

These fantastic images have been sent in by an anonymous visitor to the site from an unknown source. Despite that, we have no reason to believe they aren't real. One could argue that perhaps they are just generic Half-Life 2 concept art of concepts that never made it into the final game. But there's plenty of evidence here to suggest they are post Episode 2.

For example:
    Alyx is wearing Eli's jacket
    Crashed helicopter in an Arctic location
    Art featuring Xen
    Combine Advisors in Xen

The images are from circa 2008 and therefore not necessarily representative of the current state of the project, but it's great to see new media, nonetheless.
    Here's my summary:

>The concept art is from early 2008
    >The Weather Station is back
    >Your helicopter is down
    >Xen is back and there's Combine Advisors on Xen

>Gordon is wearing a white winter suit
    >Alyx is wearing Eli's green jacket and Harvard sweater in the concept art
    >Alyx is also shown wearing a jumpsuit (from early Half-Life 2) and Mossman's sweater
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Turkey Show Events Winner x 62Optimistic x 3Informative x 2Late x 1Friendly x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,055 Posts
    So Xen was just a massive psychedelic acid trip all along.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 12Funny x 6Agree x 3Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2010
    319 Posts
    The link doesn't work anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,867 Posts
    Yeah. Valvetime appears to be down.

Nevermind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,443 Posts
    Just post the bloody pictures already!!

Edited:

Or do you mean to tell me you didn't anticipate that the site would be flooded due to news of EP3 Concept art and you therefore DIDN'T save and outsource said pictures??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,867 Posts
    Just post the bloody pictures already!!

Edited:

Or do you mean to tell me you didn't anticipate that the site would be flooded due to news of EP3 Concept art and you therefore DIDN'T save and outsource said pictures??
    I managed to save a few that I had open still.

For the rest, I guess you will have to wait for the site to come back up.

The steam forums have the pictures on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5971305&type=1
    or use his link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    6,313 Posts
    ^maybe it's just because of the first guy's scavenger look, but I'm getting some BioShock chills.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Well, it's something. Loving Alyx's new outfits and oh god where do I get that swirly thing as a wallpaper
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,170 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    May 2011
    1,915 Posts
    Here's a Facebook album of them.

-late-

Anyway, are these confirmed as legit? The Xen ones look... weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Late Late x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,055 Posts
    Valve must have found out!

If any of you managed to see the images, I suggest you get your Winchester and keep a look out for any suspicious canisters landing in your front yard.

You fool, you've doomed us all!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2010
    6,313 Posts

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Looks like another augmented soldier of some sort, but what are those bundled tubes or wires on its back?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,170 Posts
    These don't look very halflifey so I have my doubts that these are legit. But I hope I'm wrong because I like what I see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2010
    319 Posts
    Alyx looks so different in the first few shots and holy fucking shit those scenes with a crashed helicopter in arctic look amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #15

July 2010
    2,063 Posts
    It'll be fucking heartwrenching if alyx is wearing Eli's jacket in ep3/hl3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    Apparently the game now involves superglue puzzles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 36Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Looks like another augmented soldier of some sort, but what are those bundled tubes or wires on its back?
    Low temperature / Zen version for some new elite combine troop, with less armor, and a life support backpack? He does have ice climber boots.
    It does look sort of cobbled together/not too combine-ey so it could also be some new resistance troop or character, they don't tend to hide their faces though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    May 2011
    564 Posts
    Holy shit that white guy tripping balls with advisor in the background, is that Gordon?

Also all those Alyx designs, mmmmm

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,128 Posts
    hallucinogenic/mind-altering combine attacks?

neat

20. Post #20
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,953 Posts
    Sweet. Something at last.

Was this a leak or an official release?

Also:

With the release of Meet the Pyro in only a few hours and this at the same time; I predict an announcement on Episode 3/HL3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,055 Posts
    These don't look very halflifey so I have my doubts that these are legit.
    The artwork appears to be in the same style of Andrea Wicklund who has worked at Valve since 2006. This fits with the circa-2008 dating of this art, so it's likely her work:

If you're looking for blatant Half-Life references (besides the obvious Advisor), you can see Alyx is wearing Eli's monogrammed vest here:

You can also see Alyx wearing Eli's Harvard shirt here:

Seems a bit in poor taste to wear your    dead    father's clothing, but that's Alyx for ya!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,128 Posts
    The artwork appears to be in the same style of Andrea Wicklund who has worked at Valve since 2006. This fits with the circa-2008 dating of this art, so it's likely her work:

If you're looking for blatant Half-Life references (besides the obvious Advisor), you can see Alyx is wearing Eli's monogrammed vest here:

Seems a bit in poor taste to wear your    dead    father's clothing, but that's Alyx for ya!
    I don't think it's in bad taste

No different to wearing a piece of jewellery or using a weapon of a dead loved one

symbolises continued protection/warmth/etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 47Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,055 Posts

No different to wearing a piece of jewellery or using a weapon of a dead loved one
    Well, if I were Eli's progeny, I'd choose to keep his prosthetic leg. Seems like it would make for a pretty useful and badass melee weapon to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 50Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    February 2010
    10,168 Posts

Hats confirmed for EP3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Funny Funny x 70Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Well, if I were Eli's progeny, I'd choose to keep his prosthetic leg. Seems like it would make for a pretty useful and badass melee weapon to me.
    I will pay money to see this implemented in HL3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2012
    856 Posts
    yeah guys episode 3 was never on development

well guess what!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2010
    6,313 Posts

symbolises continued protection/warmth/etc
    I dunno, jewellry and other small objects are somewhat common to pass down. Regular clothing, not so much. If they stick with the idea it'll probably be better implemented, but right now I can't get the image of "Alyx looting her father's fresh corpse for goodies right before jumping into the helicopter" out of my head.

hallucinogenic/mind-altering combine attacks?

neat
    Maybe, but I could see it becoming annoying fast, especially in replays. But TF2 taught them plenty about the hate deteriorating weapons attract, so I don't think they're stupid enough to repeat the mistake.

Of course, knowing Valve, none of this concept stuff might have made it into the current iteration of the game.

Edited:

yeah guys episode 3 was never on development

well guess what!
    Only idiots say that. There's no reason for Valve to abandon their flagship, and everyone remotely in touch with the community knows the shorter development cycles of the episodic content didn't comply with their dev style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    June 2010
    487 Posts
    These fantastic images have been sent in by an anonymous visitor to the site from an unknown source. Despite that, we have no reason to believe they aren't real.
    I don't see why they would be real.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    January 2012
    191 Posts
    That silky monsters makes me think of the Source-engine swarm demo.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,400 Posts
    Most of those images don't even seem Half-life related, if it wasn't for a few subtle references there wouldn't really be anything to link them together, the ones like the Helicopter and Xen fit though obviously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2011
    2,990 Posts
    Similiar style to previous Valve concept arts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    February 2010
    10,168 Posts
    They just look valve-ish. They're pretty much the same style as the concept arts in Raising the Bar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,747 Posts
    I'm expecting Headcrab Zombies to look like something out of The Thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,891 Posts
    spuf mods confirmed it

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2770048
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 2Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,454 Posts
    spuf mod confirmed it

Why would a moderator know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 23Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    10,168 Posts
    spuf mod confirmed it

SPUF volunteer mods aren't Valve employees, he can't know for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,253 Posts
    Didn't Gabe say that there wont be any goddamn episodic content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    8,091 Posts
    To be honest, the concept art looks a lot like Valve's previous sketches for other games like L4D2. I think it could be real. The thing is, it's said to be from 2008 so who knows if anything from these images was used in development.

That being said, I like the idea of Gordon wearing snow coat over his HEV suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,891 Posts
    Why would a moderator know?
    why would he confirm it if he didn't know?

i doubt a moderator would confirm something like this just to mess with people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,454 Posts
    Didn't Gabe say that there wont be any goddamn episodic content.
    No. This has been said too many times, so I will give the short version. Gabe talked about release cycles, and compared the episodic model to the even shorter release cycles that we see in TF2. Besides, it being called episode three has no relevance to its distribution method or length of the game at this point, and is only a matter of continuity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)