1. Post #1
    December 2010
    6,443 Posts
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom Note: Brutal Doom v0.16 is out, not v0.6. I made a typo and I tried editing it but the change isn't showing for me at least.

In development since 2010, the 18th Cacoward winner Brütal Doom takes Doom into a whole new level. It makes the game much more violent than before. There's much more blood, plus it adds unique gibs, death animations, dismemberments, headshots, executions, fire and explosion particles, flares, shadows over all objects, and much more.
    The whole world becomes more real and interactive. You can hurt yourself with the shrapnel if you shoot a gun too close of a wall, you can kick severed limbs and heads (and sometimes, use it to activate some traps in the map earlier), you can shoot enemies' heads to deal more damage (and cause more gruesome deaths) you can destroy most things in the the scenario (trees, lamps, hanging bodies, etc), you can paint the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling with blood, you can push the explosive barrels to make traps, or grab them and use like an explosive weapon, you can silently take down enemies from behind and perform stealth kills, you can use the chainsaw to rip when you find the berserk pack and get super strength, you can perform cinematic executions and RIP AND TEAR your foes with your bare hands. Some enemies will scream in anguish and try to crawl away when near death, and they can be used as human shields. Blood will drip through your visor every time you shoot enemies too close.
    Everything in Brutal Doom is extremely intense. Everything sounds louder, looks bigger, moves faster, and hits harder. The camera shakes every time something explodes near you. Enemies are harder and smarter, and weapons and explosions are loud as fuck.Your weapons have been upgraded to a deadly arsenal, completely throwing the vanilla Doom's "progressive weapon system" through the window. Every weapon is powerful and have it's pros and cons, and a weapon will never be outclassed when you find a new weapon.You have new abilities too. With any weapon selected, you can press Q (default bind) to kick enemies at close range and send them away. Press F (default bind) to taunt enemy players, and Z or X (default binds) to wave to other players in cooperative modes.
    Brütal Doom will make the good an old Doom have a new and fresh look. It will give you a reason to play all the Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom levels again. This mod also works with almost every megawad and map pack around. Take a breath, and prepare to RIP AND TEAR HUGE GUTS!!!!!

Brutal Doom is absolutely awesome, one of the very best wads for doom, and one of the best mods ever made. It's a new reason to play through old 90's and early 2000's megawads again if you already played them back in the day. By no means is this a replacement to vanilla doom's gameplay, but instead it's an amazing blend of modern and old school mechanics, and provides a whole new experience. It's really fun to get good with the new gameplay mechanics, as it adds whole new strategies.

Update changelog:
    Code:
    - Awesome new deaths when the player, or a zombie, or an imp dies by the impact of an explosion. (Actors getting killed by direct impact of a rocket still gibs into pieces)
    - New alt death animation for Chaingunguy
    - Reintroduced Iron Sights for Shotgun. Use alt fire to aim down the sights; it gives a 1.8 zoom, and reduces the spread
    - Cacodemons can perform an execution with it's melee attacks.
    - New dismemberment deaths for zombies, shotgunguys and imps.
    - Some monsters will perform executions on other monsters when they infight.
    - Introduced the "Cruelty Bonus" achievement. You can be rewared with bonus health and armor by find ways to torture enemies. Such ways to gain this achievement is by curbstomping crawling enemies, seting them on fire, melting with plasma, kicking them in the face, and many other ways.
    - A new death animation for zombies and imps when killed by BFG ball.
    - Added flying kicks. Kick while jumping to perform a flying kick.
    - Now you can't move while kicking.
    - Better particles for bullet puffs.
    - Introduced new voices for the DoomGuy. You can press J or K (default binds) to make him say one linners. Doom Guy is voiced by Chinese Tony Danza.
    - Nerfed most enemy attacks due high dificulty on most user made megawads.
    - A different XDeath animations when an actor is stomped by a Cyberdemon.
    - Removed Glows from projectiles to improve performance (An add-on will be created to include these glows as an optional feature)
    - New monster added: Juggernaut. He is the replacement for the SKulltag's Ectabus.
    - Huge improvements over smoke and fire particles.
    - Fixed missing dynamic lights from some monster projectiles.
    - Better physic properties for Barrels: It can be pushed easier, it can be pushed against walls, and can be pushed through monster blocking lines
    - Improved the Player's kicking animation.
    - Cyberdemon will fire 4 shoots instead of 6
    - New sounds for falling empty clips
    - No more Splash Damage when killing a Cyberdemon or Mastermind. Instead, there is a large screen shake if you are near the explosion.
    - Introduced ammo counters for all weapons.
    - New awesome effects for all liquid textures.
    - Brightmaps for sprites and textures (made by Z86)
    - Glowing textures for flats like Lava, Nukage, Sky, Lights, etc. (thanks to Revilution)
    - New sound for SSG
    - Remade muzle flashes for all weapons.
    - Improved BFG sprite (thanks to SladeExe)
    - New plasma deaths for Mancubus and Demon (made by Mike12)
    - Fixed the zombie body's angle when killed by the player's secondary fatality
    - Nerfed the Belphegor. Reduced his projectile damage and he is more vulnerable to rocket attacks now.
    - Improved the animation of many animated textures by making them faster.
    - When a zombie is hit by the explosion of a rocket but not killed, he will be knocked down.
    - Fixed a bug with  zombie getting pushed to the wrong side when kicked from behind.
    - Increased rocket launcher fire rate.
    - Imps can be knocked back if they are kicked, just like zombies.
    - New death animation for destroying a big tree.
    - A nice new death animation when killing a zombie or imp at close range with a shotgun
    - A crawling zombieman will start crawling right after he is spawned, and now will always try to run away from the player.
    - Fixed bug with Lost Soul not attacking the player.
    - Added improved versions of many textures.
    - New voices for the friendly marines.
    - Fixed shotgunguy's body spawning infinite gibs, and imp's body regaining its limbs when kicked.
    - Many other tweaks and fixes that I forgot to list during the development.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brutal Doom has to played with either GZDoom or Skulltag (which is GZDoom with MP functionality among other cool things)

http://www.skulltag.com
    http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/index.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would use this to launch the sourceport you use, it gives you the options to select your IWAD (the main game file) and you can just drag the brutal doom wad along any other megawad or map wad into it and launch from there. http://data.vectec.net/zdl/zdl-31/ZDL_3.1a.zip
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are some awesome megawads (full 32 missions replacement) I had fun with in Brutal Doom in case you don't want to replay Doom 2 again.
    http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11790
    http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11944
    http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12102
    http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16630

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a cool random level generator for Doom 1 and 2: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

Here are some screenies:

Also for Brutal Doom I would recommend to always have free look enabled (Sorry classic doom purists), however if you know you are playing a map or megawad that was made for the original doom engine I would turn off jumping and crouching to prevent from somehow cheating the map as jumping didn't exist back then.
    ---------------------
    NachoPiggy posted links for some sweet HD textures and character sprites.

Thanks for them links nachopiggy. Note that the HD character sprites are still in progress, not sure when they will be completely done but I think you can check back in the zdoom forums if you care about the complete release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Late Late x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2009
    7,361 Posts
    Could've found the old Doom megathread, but even more so:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920

You're ten versions late, mate. Still, a great mod nonetheless.

3. Post #3
    December 2010
    6,443 Posts
    Could've found the old Doom megathread, but even more so:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920

You're ten versions late, mate. Still, a great mod nonetheless.
    Sorry, was a typo, let me fix that. Also I knew a doom megathread existed but I think this deserves it's own thread. Also, goddamn the title isn't changing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,836 Posts
    Skulltag is being retired due to drama with Carnevil. Zandronum is the new version. Just an FYI.

And yeah, Brutal Doom is at version 016 now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2010
    6,443 Posts
    I am trying to edit the damn title but it's not changing. Goddamnit this is embarrassing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,477 Posts
    Wow people are still modding the old Doom games after all these years?

... That's pretty awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    December 2010
    6,443 Posts
    Wow people are still modding the old Doom games after all these years?

... That's pretty awesome.
    Yeah, Doom has always been a fun game and has aged extremely well, at least in my opinion. Brutal Doom just adds a ton of new awesome stuff to it though. I still enjoy the vanilla doom game mechanics though, very balanced and silky smooth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    684 Posts
    Actually just finished playing through all of Doom Ultimate yesterday with this, really fun.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,840 Posts
    Wow this thread is SORELY lacking in video content for something like this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,973 Posts
    This mod is amazing, I never played Doom before and this gives me the reason to. It's really hard though

11. Post #11
    December 2010
    6,443 Posts
    This mod is amazing, I never played Doom before and this gives me the reason to. It's really hard though
    Hey, if you never played doom before I highly recommend at least playing through ultimate doom or doom 2 with freelook, jumping, and crouching disabled (or just play chocolate doom, a sourceport that recreates the original exe but with all the kinks fixed). Brutal doom is great but it's no replacement for the original game that still kicks ass after all these years. Also yeah, Doom is hard on ultra violence mode which is honestly the default mode for most players. It just takes some to build up your skill for it and then things like ammo conservation, reactions, etc become second-hand. Anyways you can just f6 the shit out of your keyboard after every hard instance.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,973 Posts
    Skulltag is being retired due to drama with Carnevil. Zandronum is the new version. Just an FYI.

And yeah, Brutal Doom is at version 016 now.
    Didn't know that, thanks

13. Post #13
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,190 Posts
    This mod is bloody brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,849 Posts
    It feels like I'm playing what the general media seems to think all video games are.

BANG BANG BANG
    ROOOOAAARR
    BANG
    SPLATTER
    AUUUUGGHGHGHGHHGHGAAAAAAAAAAA
    BANG BANG
    FUCK YOU
    BANG BANG BANG BOOM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,001 Posts
    This is how I first found out about this mod
    By the way, Doom was the first PC game I ever played, I thought those brown demon guys were scary then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,205 Posts
    Hey, if you never played doom before I highly recommend at least playing through ultimate doom or doom 2 with freelook, jumping, and crouching disabled (or just play chocolate doom, a sourceport that recreates the original exe but with all the kinks fixed). Brutal doom is great but it's no replacement for the original game that still kicks ass after all these years. Also yeah, Doom is hard on ultra violence mode which is honestly the default mode for most players. It just takes some to build up your skill for it and then things like ammo conservation, reactions, etc become second-hand. Anyways you can just f6 the shit out of your keyboard after every hard instance.
    vanilla doom isnt all too hard on UV.

try something like speed of doom or any of the scythe wads.
    now those get intense!

and brutal doom makes you take double damage IIRC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,371 Posts
    This mod is amazing, everyone play it now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    May 2011
    2,479 Posts
    I couldn't help but notice the SSG primary fire uses the Counter Strike AWP firing sound.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,371 Posts
    Most of you guys will like who Commander Keen is replaced by in the second secret wolfenstien level in Doom 2 (Map32) I won't spoil it here.

I like how the Nazi's in Map31 actually drop MP40s.

Edited:

Oh lord, you can even brutalize/destroy the level decorations (hanging bodies and the like)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Mwah~<3
    October 2005
    3,067 Posts
    Late, but fuck that. This mod is awesome. I'd even say one of the best Doom mods ever made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2009
    2,881 Posts
    This mod is really amazing. This is the first version I played as I missed the last few. Also, some of the noises the zombie-men make are pretty creepy.

22. Post #22
    April 2011
    2,656 Posts
    I prefer version 0.10 personally. They got rid of that satisfying cloud of blood in later versions of brutaldoom. Plus the taunting sounds weren't so ridiculously loud, now it sounds like someone screaming into a bad microphone.

This mod is really amazing. This is the first version I played as I missed the last few. Also, some of the noises the zombie-men make are pretty creepy.
    Those sounds are actually from the Doom 3 alpha which had quite a bit of good stuff in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2012
    1,406 Posts
    Oh my fucking god, Brutal Doom reached Facepunch already?!

Beaten Ultimate, Doom II, TNT Evilution and already on MAP10 on Plutonia experiment with It!
    And, heck, I made though them all without jumping through the level!

There Isn't a single day I don't play one or two maps using Brutal Doom, I'll soon run out of Maps, though.
    And, yeah, this quite much deserved It's own thread.

24. Post #24
    November 2009
    2,881 Posts
    Does anybody ever get that glitch/issue where the blood sprite on the floor overlaps a dead body?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,364 Posts
    Bless you BenJammin' for bringing this into the public eye.

NachoPiggy posted this in the general ingame media thread, thought somebody might enjoy the two texture packs. Give the man hearts next time you see him.
    Just been playing co-op on Doom and experimenting with mods with a friend, looked for some decent looking texture packs combining with Brutal Doom and got this as a result

This for the environments and this for the sprites

The latter is incomplete and still in recent progress, but combining them together with the environments and Brutal Doom they look pretty good without sacrificing Doom's original art style.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    bah, once again my laptop's shoddy OpenGL handling fucks me. i get horrible framerates in Brutal doom.

meanwhile i run skyrim on max at about 30 fps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2010
    2,621 Posts
    A great mod for a great game, thanks for making a thread dedicated to both. If you like BD you might like the Brutalized Doom 1 and 2 mapset (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32929). It adds a lot more monsters and alters the vanilla levels a bit to make things fit with Brutal Doom's chaos and blood and guts gameplay more.

28. Post #28

June 2012
    60 Posts
    how the fuck do you perform a execution with your hands

i use fists all the time and it doesn't do shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,313 Posts

I think you need the Berserk Pack.

30. Post #30
    November 2009
    2,881 Posts

I think you need to either attack the monster from behind or be in berserk mode.

31. Post #31

June 2012
    60 Posts
    I think you need the Berserk Pack.
    why isin't the pack included in the mod?

I think you need to either attack the monster from behind or be in berserk mode.
    attacking from behind doesn't work either
    and berserk mode is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2011
    579 Posts
    Hit the R button once. It switches between a "normal" mode and a "brutal" mode.

Also, someone remind me how to select megawads in gzdoom.

The berserk pack is the black medikit. How have you been playing doom all this time and never known that?

Edit: oh yeah.

I would use this to launch the sourceport you use, it gives you the options to select your IWAD (the main game file) and you can just drag the brutal doom wad along any other megawad or map wad into it and launch from there. http://data.vectec.net/zdl/zdl-31/ZDL_3.1a.zip
    It says "Account suspended." Got anything else that would be helpful?

33. Post #33

June 2012
    60 Posts
    Hit the R button once. It switches between a "normal" mode and a "brutal" mode.

Also, someone remind me how to select megawads in gzdoom.

Edit: oh yeah.

It says "Account suspended." Got anything else that would be helpful?
    r button just makes him crack his knuckles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,973 Posts

attacking from behind doesn't work either
    and berserk mode is?
    it is included in the mod
    not sure how do you find it in game (haven't played much, I mostly just mess around in the first two levels and try to kill monsters as brutally as possible), I just use "give berserk" in console

35. Post #35
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    no the berserk pack is the black health pick up

36. Post #36
    July 2011
    579 Posts
    r button just makes him crack his knuckles
    That's the game switching "modes". No really, it does. For some reason it never displays the words unless you actually have the berserk pack, but it does work.

also, the enemy has to be close to death, and I think the secondary fire does something else, like let you take a shotgun dude/imp as a shield.

37. Post #37

June 2012
    60 Posts
    thanks. BERSERKING AWAY!!!

(User was permabanned for this post ("Alt of shitposter" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    December 2010
    6,443 Posts
    Bless you BenJammin' for bringing this into the public eye.

NachoPiggy posted this in the general ingame media thread, thought somebody might enjoy the two texture packs. Give the man hearts next time you see him.
    Nice, added these links to the OP. I like the HD texture pack, but I so far I am not digging the HD sprites pack, they look...off. To each their own I guess. I like the DooM 64 sprites because the game had it's own darker theme, but for this we are talking about replacements for classic doom 1 and 2. They aren't close to being done though so they might look better when they reach closer to being done.

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    629 Posts
    Thank god for this thread, and giving me a reason to post again on Facepunch. Honey, I'm home.
    Anyways, I'm playing through Brutal Doom on Ultraviolence difficulty as we speak. Doom 1 first, I'm on E3M6 right now, and I'm searching all over for the secret because I can't leave this map until I find my way to E3M9. I know it doesn't change the ending, but it's sort of an OCD thing despite me not having obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Okay, beat Episode 3. Thy Flesh Consumed is hard as balls, people.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,672 Posts
    Facepunch needs more Doom threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)