1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    [NEWS 6 June] A study led by Karolinska Institutet reports for the first time the positive effects of an active vaccine against Alzheimer's disease. The new vaccine, CAD106, can prove a breakthrough in the search for a cure for this seriously debilitating dementia disease. The study is published in the distinguished scientific journal Lancet Neurology.
    Alzheimer's disease is a complex neurological dementia disease that is the cause of much human suffering and a great cost to society. According to the World Health Organisation, dementia is the fastest growing global health epidemic of our age. The prevailing hypothesis about its cause involves APP (amyloid precursor protein), a protein that resides in the outer membrane of nerve cells and that, instead of being broken down, form a harmful substance called beta-amyloid, which accumulates as plaques and kills brain cells.
    There is currently no cure for Alzheimer's disease, and the medicines in use can only mitigate the symptoms. In the hunt for a cure, scientists are following several avenues of attack, of which vaccination is currently the most popular. The first human vaccination study, which was done almost a decade ago, revealed too many adverse reactions and was discontinued. The vaccine used in that study activated certain white blood cells (T cells), which started to attack the body's own brain tissue.
    The new treatment, which is presented in Lancet Neurology, involves active immunisation, using a type of vaccine designed to trigger the body's immune defence against beta-amyloid. In this second clinical trial on humans, the vaccine was modified to affect only the harmful beta-amyloid. The researchers found that 80 per cent of the patients involved in the trials developed their own protective antibodies against beta-amyloid without suffering any side-effects over the three years of the study. The researchers believe that this suggests that the CAD106 vaccine is a tolerable treatment for patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's. Larger trials must now be conducted to confirm the CAD106 vaccine's efficacy.
    The study was carried out by Professor Bengt Winblad at Karolinska Institutet's Alzheimer's Disease Research Centre in Huddinge and leading neurologists in the Swedish Brain Power network: consultant Niels Andreasen from Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge; Professor Lennart Minthon from the MAS University Hospital, Malmö; and Professor Kaj Blennow from the Sahlgrenska Academy, Gothenburg. The study was financed by Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis.
    Publication:

Bengt Winblad, Niels Andreasen, Lennart Minthon, Annette Floesser, Georges Imbert, Thomas Dumortier, R Paul Maguire, Kaj Blennow, Joens Lundmark, Matthias Staufenbiel, Jean-Marc Orgogozo & Ana Graf
    Safety, tolerability, and antibody response of active A²immunotherapy with CAD106 in patients with Alzheimers disease: randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, first-in-human study

Lancet Neurology, online first 6 June 2012, doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(12)70140-0
    http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?l=e...09&newsdep=130
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 51Late Late x 13Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2009
    592 Posts
    There is a thread on the next page

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1189270
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Yes! Another big fuck you to nature! :science:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    CUNT DESTROYER
    August 2008
    10,913 Posts
    Wasn't this the plot to the new Planet of the Apes movie?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,952 Posts
    Yes! Another big fuck you to nature! :science:

You do realize so much of our medicine comes from nature, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Everything comes from nature, some things are just more modified then others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

7. Post #7
    Stuff that is manmade doesn't come from nature. Can you find Alzheimer's vaccine in the nature? No. We use elements from nature, but the resulting product is manmade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,754 Posts
    But we are a part of nature

Anyways, Sweden go!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,249 Posts
    Stuff that is manmade doesn't come from nature. Can you find Alzheimer's vaccine in the nature? No. We use elements from nature, but the resulting product is manmade.
    No but the components that it is made up of? Yes, and that's his point

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,700 Posts
    Wasn't this the plot to the new Planet of the Apes movie?

Yeah, but the movie said bullshit about the vaccine making human more intelligent, which I don't think medicine work that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,125 Posts
    Well thank goodness for this, no one should have to either have this disease or experience having a loved one with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    No but the components that it is made up of? Yes, and that's his point
    His point is stupid. What is not found in nature is not natural.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,974 Posts
    Discovery of penicillin?! What's that?

14. Post #14
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

15. Post #15
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,974 Posts
    Penicillin cures Alzheimer's?
    I'm making the point that medicine is often discovered serendipitously from nature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,944 Posts
    Penicillin cures Alzheimer's?
    No it doesn't

17. Post #17
    I'm making the point that medicine is often discovered serendipitously from nature.
    Often but not always.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,944 Posts
    To reinforce your point in case people blindly believe the opposite: Most medicine is derived from substances, toxins, viruses and other products made from insects, animals, vegetation and fungi in the wild. Penicillin was a byproduct of a specific species of fungus during world war 2 I believe, and has since been refined by man, but not created by man, along with most of our medicine. We often derive our medicine from said sources and modify it to enhance or eliminate certain effects it may have, but ultimatly they generally are founded by nature.

19. Post #19
    January 2009
    1,589 Posts
    His point is stupid. What is not found in nature is not natural.
    "Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world, or material world. 'Nature' refers to the phenomena of the physical world, and also to life in general. It ranges in scale from the subatomic to the cosmic."

Therefore everything that happens in the universe is natural, because nature encompasses everything.

Humans are a part of nature.

Therefore nature made these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    faster than stupid, but still slower than everybody else
    June 2010
    2,761 Posts
    Holy mother of god, my grandma needs this. She's fucking crazy and I am literally getting to the point where I can't answer the same questions EVERY GOD DAMN DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES! Where to do I get this?

she always asks:
    "Where are you going to school?"
    "Where are you going to live at school?"
    "What are you studying?"
    "What are you going to do after school?"
    "Where are you going to live after school?"
    "When are you going back to school?"
    "Make a list of things you need, I'll get them for you when you need to go back to school"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2007
    2,473 Posts
    +1 for the Human Race

Total Running Score: -52768
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2008
    2,339 Posts
    -1 for people being stupid and arguing over semantics in this thread

Edited:

Holy mother of god, my grandma needs this. She's fucking crazy and I am literally getting to the point where I can't answer the same questions EVERY GOD DAMN DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES! Where to do I get this?

she always asks:
    "Where are you going to school?"
    "Where are you going to live at school?"
    "What are you studying?"
    "What are you going to do after school?"
    "Where are you going to live after school?"
    "When are you going back to school?"
    "Make a list of things you need, I'll get them for you when you need to go back to school"
    Pay out your ass to get a research chemical laboratory (probably in China or India) to synthesize some for you.

Or wait till it is released in 5 years.

23. Post #23
    November 2010
    1,338 Posts
    Another said vaccine that will disappear never to be seen again and before anyone tries to prove me wrong, I've seen threads like these dozens of times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2011
    1,543 Posts
    Another said vaccine that will disappear never to be seen again and before anyone tries to prove me wrong, I've seen threads like these dozens of times.
    Most likely because it doesn't pass clinical trials. It may have a nasty side effect. You don't hear those reported, so it just "disappears". Just because it disappears doesn't mean some corporation bought it out. Hopefully those neither of those happen. Also as to those threads, clinical trials do take time. It isn't like you throw it at a monkey and some humans and say "Yup it's good!" and release it to the public. Some can take a decade or two.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,496 Posts
    Alzheimer's is probably one of the diseases that scare me the most. After living a full life and getting Alzheimer's, you forget all of it as it never happened.... I'm glad for the success of this vaccine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,249 Posts
    -1 for people being stupid and arguing over semantics in this thread

Edited:

Pay out your ass to get a research chemical laboratory (probably in China or India) to synthesize some for you.

Or wait till it is released in 5 years.
    Sadly I think it is too late, if she already has it. Then again I have no idea how this vaccine works

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,222 Posts
    -snip-

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Here's me thinking we pulled it from the aether, I know everyone comes from nature, but we take nature and adapt, advance and improve it to suit our ends, thus my hooray science comment.

Edited:

I'm fucking sick of people like you.

Do you understand the sheer depth of the trials this sort of shit has to go through? there's the basic shit to make sure it is sound chemically and biologically to make sure it won't run rampant through someones body and destroy them, then there's the extensive tests on rats and mice and shit, then there's multiple trials on people.

If at any point, there is the slightest inkling that there is even a minor issue it will be scrapped and totally redesigned and put through the tests again until it works.

Let's also not forget that a lot of these "disappearing" vaccines and treatments haven't actually disappeared, and are being used in certain high end medical facilities or are being used in army hospitals because either they cost a fucking bomb, or because only the government can afford it on a large scale for soldiers injured during war.

So yeah, they only disappear because chances are you're not in a position to follow them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Don't get too excited just yet. This trial just means that the drug won't kill someone who takes it.

30. Post #30
    November 2007
    800 Posts
    Give it to Terry Pratchett, I want more Discworld!