1. Post #81
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,226 Posts
    Would be nice to see SFM on something that's not Team Fortress 2.
    The HL2 Mac teaser was SFM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,066 Posts
    I could see it, considering how nice that DOTA 2 trailer looked

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83

June 2012
    2 Posts
    Can't wait for it

(User was permabanned for this post ("Bot" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

4. Post #84
    April 2010
    2,813 Posts

Even when doing scenes where you'd expect more realism, Source is still decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Well, the trailers aren't exactly realtime rendered and the software used to make them isn't released to the public, granted it is possible to get. But to be honest, as much as I used to love Source engine, it will need a big overhaul if it's to compete with the bigger engines such as Cry Engine and Unreal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #86

Even when doing scenes where you'd expect more realism, Source is still decent.
    These are not good examples. Polies and ingame visuals everywhere. Not something I'd like to see in a "real" movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,892 Posts
    These are not good examples. Polies and ingame visuals everywhere. Not something I'd like to see in a "real" movie.
    You know models are made out of polygons right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

8. Post #88
    Polygons are the triangles all 3d assets are composed of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    Durr, obiously not something they can fix by using higher-quality models not from a game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,655 Posts
    I want to see a slapstick comedy made on Gamebryo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    You know models are made out of polygons right?
    Yeah no shit Sherlock. And live organisms are made out of cells.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17 (list)

12. Post #92
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,994 Posts
    Uhh...

[URL]
    [URL]

The only point you've provided in your post is wrong.
    The second video is trash.

Have something infinitely better.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,748 Posts
    Well, the trailers aren't exactly realtime rendered and the software used to make them isn't released to the public
    Valve have GIVEN THEM THE TOOLS.

It says right there in the article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,220 Posts
    Wasnt cryengine like 100 grand to use while the unreal engine is like $300 when you have like 1000 sales and free otherwise?
    You're vastly underestimating the cost of engines to license.

Source is somewhere over 100 grand.
    Cryengine 3 is a million dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    I like Source despite being an older engine. It is extremly flexible, versatile and moddable. It does not require a topnotch rig to be able to run it properly.

You can create a lot of different visuals/asthetics depending on which textures/models that you use. Source can look really cartoony and also pretty realistic. If you look at the UE3 engine, it has always the same style/asthetics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Luxembourg Show Events Disagree x 9Dumb x 2Agree x 2Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    You're vastly underestimating the cost of engines to license.

Source is somewhere over 100 grand.
    Cryengine 3 is a million dollars.
    (IIRC) Source's licensing costs are different for each project.
    E.X - an indie game's licensing cost may only be $40,000 While if a triple A studio wants to License it for Call of Duteh 8, they would pay: $200,00

17. Post #97
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Wasnt cryengine like 100 grand to use while the unreal engine is like $300 when you have like 1000 sales and free otherwise?
    CryEngine has several plans depending on what you're doing for Indie Games Crytek asks for 20% of the profits from the comercial launch of the game, Unreal asks 25% of the profits after you've made a considerable sum of money in profits (that I can't bother to look up now).

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,576 Posts
    Well since it will be using the Source Filmmaker it could look pretty decent. It's certainly a much cheaper option than setting up or renting a big server farm.

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,588 Posts
    The only.
    Only.
    Only only only.
    ONLY THING I WANT TO SEE:

Them not using the god damn stock sounds. For anything. At all. Or it's going to ruin the whole fucking experience for me if it's the same god damn box-break, footstep, explosion stuff I've been hearing for eight years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 52Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,731 Posts
    It's like playing a new game for the first time, getting immersed. Then the sound of something is identical to one in another game and you get snapped right out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,705 Posts
    I suppose I can see why they'd use Source engine. It still has one of the best facial animation systems I've seen in a while.
    Take whatever engine Mass Effect 3 is on. It's pretty, and the game itself is fun, but they have some of the shittiest and most emotionless facial animations I've seen in a long time, and it's a new game. Most importantly, a game that prides itself on its story and story telling.

Oh well, I'm really excited for this. It'll probably be a really long time before this is done, so we'll most likely forget about it by the time it's out.

22. Post #102
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,188 Posts
    The only.
    Only.
    Only only only.
    ONLY THING I WANT TO SEE:

Them not using the god damn stock sounds. For anything. At all. Or it's going to ruin the whole fucking experience for me if it's the same god damn box-break, footstep, explosion stuff I've been hearing for eight years.
    And that damn metal collision sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

23. Post #103
    I like Source despite being an older engine. It is extremly flexible, versatile and moddable. It does not require a topnotch rig to be able to run it properly.

You can create a lot of different visuals/asthetics depending on which textures/models that you use. Source can look really cartoony and also pretty realistic. If you look at the UE3 engine, it has always the same style/asthetics.
    I guess you haven't played many UE3 games then? Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, GOW, Batman all look different. Sure they have some similarities because they all use the same tech, but so does source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Michael C. Hall Appreciation Station
    August 2009
    606 Posts
    If you look at the UE3 engine, it has always the same style/asthetics.

yeah dude I can't tell any of these UE3 games apart. They all look exactly alike.

Games on the same engine looking similar really comes down to the devs. They can be lazy and use assets that they already know look good ingame, or they can spend extra time developing an artstyle that would work to their advantage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,523 Posts
    Uh no Cryengine is free to use via the SDK you just have to give 20% royalties to Crytek on sales (Unreal engine is exactly the same in this reguard).

If you want a full liscense to use Unreal Engine 3 (with no royalties) it costs about $500,000 last I checked while Cryengine 3 is about $1mil

26. Post #106
    March 2011
    1,822 Posts
    Animated and R-rated Bioshock movie made with Source engine.

A man can dream.

Yes, I know Bioshock wasn't a Source game but seeing the two combined would be awesome   

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,255 Posts
    Watch the movie and receive a free (shitty) hat in Team Fortress 2!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,403 Posts
    And that damn metal collision sound.
    As soon as the movie starts, it makes that spawning clicking sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

29. Post #109
    April 2007
    1,487 Posts
    Valve ( I think that's where credit is due) really did well with Source engine if even today it continues to shine. I hope the next engine they make, if they eventually make one, will hold up to Source engine's rep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,667 Posts
    Litfusefilms has done countless great videos using the source engine, plus many more film groups. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

31. Post #111
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    Litfusefilms has done countless great videos using the source engine, plus many more film groups. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Good choice.

Jill's Song I think is my favorite piece that LFF has done. It's just so well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

32. Post #112
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,787 Posts
    Five minutes into the movie: ED_Alloc: No Free Edicts.
    That's the name of the Making Of documentary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,147 Posts

And Lit Fuse's work goes to show Source's film capabilities without SFM.

Of course great writing, set design, and acting all factor in too as they would in a live action movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #114
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    25,896 Posts
    Valve ( I think that's where credit is due) really did well with Source engine if even today it continues to shine. I hope the next engine they make, if they eventually make one, will hold up to Source engine's rep.
    It doesn't shine today, but it manages to keep up to a certain degree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

35. Post #115
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    Just imagine how easy it would be to make a game of the movie afterwards.
    Originally conceived as a graphic novel by Mitchell, "DEEP" will initially be produced as feature film; however, producing in a game engine means that the characters and environments in "DEEP" can easily translate to a game format. The team has already begun work on a playable level to be distributed via Steam, Valve's online game distribution network, and plans to create additional content for digital distribution and provide opportunities for user-created content in the "DEEP" universe.

36. Post #116
    March 2011
    1,744 Posts
    It doesn't shine today, but it manages to keep up to a certain degree.
    It shine's perfectly fine, and the fact its one of the most efficient engines out there?

Also you all forget it will soon be running on OpenGL(The only way to get it to run on Linux natively and well)

That means a fuck load of improvements will be inbound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #117
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    8,665 Posts
    Well, War of the Servers proved it can be amazing, if you know what you're doing.
    Truthfully WOTS was a bit overrated and didn't make any use of any animations, relying mostly on dialogue.
    That's not a bad thing, of course, but you can't use it to show off how great the source engine can be for making Machinima, since WOTS was really specialized.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    25,896 Posts
    It shine's perfectly fine, and the fact its one of the most efficient engines out there?

Also you all forget it will soon be running on OpenGL(The only way to get it to run on Linux natively and well)

That means a fuck load of improvements will be inbound.
    If it was shining perfectly fine then every Source Engine game ever wouldn't be instantly recognizable as a Source Engine game. You can always tell when it's a Source Engine game because of certain limitations and certain ways you have to work and map with it. It's lack of graphic features is also easily seen, since it's all just flat lifeless textures as there is very little material definition features. Mud doesn't look like wet slippery mud, it looks like dry brown wood. Skin looks like cardboard with skin-colours.

Also what do you mean with most efficient? The Unreal engine is better optimized for lower end rigs than the Source Engine is, it also packs a truckload more features. Working with the Source Engine is also harder than it's competitors.

Source Engine wins on modability, but not all that much more. Everything else it can do it's competitors can do better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,404 Posts
    Source's facial expressions and movements still top all of the one I've seen. The people in Crysis 2 looked horribly unnatural.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    I love how modder friendly Hammer is, while in hammer i can build a coupe of detailed rooms in an hour, in Sandbox's CE3 i can make detailed forest in 5 minutes, even the solids in CE3 are easier to work wit than source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)